• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
U K Narayan said:
That kid is the last guardian.

Think about this.

Every title has referenced the main character.

ICO

Wander & The Colossus

That kid is going to end up dying protecting the creature, and the creature will be alone forever.
ooooor the last guardian refers to the blood line of horned kids? there are a lot of different things it could mean, maybe it refers to Catbatrat since there will probably only be one of it's kind in the game... It could be whatever at this point.

I also don't think Catbatrat is going to die at the end, or, I don't think it's 'obviously' going to die, maybe it does, but maybe not... you know?

Snowden

Banned
U K Narayan said:

Think about this.

ICO

Wander & The Colossus

That kid is going to end up dying protecting the creature, and the creature will be alone forever.
Kid dies and this causes the creature to become as evil as whoever locked him up and shot him full of arrows thought him to be.

anaron

While everything looks gorgeous, I think I also prefer the older griphon look.

New one is growing on me though.

Shurs

I know you're excited for the game, I am too but do you really need to quote gifs that are two fucking posts ahead of yours. C'mon!

SamuraiX-

tzare said:
this is the game of the E3. If this game don't sells 5 million+ i'll hate you all.

You know it definitely won't. These kinda games only appeal to a particular type of audience and there are only a certain population of gamers out there who truly appreciate their magnificence.

A.R.K

Just saw the video again. Fucking amazing! The upgrade is amazing! The feathers look so real. But the thing I like better than the gorgeous graphics is the bond b/w the kid and his pet and emotions captured. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really wish the older trailer was not leaked (or released if it was intentional) as this would had so much more impact on Sony's E3 presentation. This thread would have been much bigger for sure and there would have been much more 500 errors on GAF today :lol

So is this the game that BBC guy saw????

Brobzoid said:
ooooor the last guardian refers to the blood line of horned kids?
This wouldn't make sense since horned individuals are exiled.

maybe it refers to Catbatrat since there will probably only be one of it's kind in the game...
Why would it be the chimera when anything with horns is probably viewed as inheriting Dormin's influence?

The kid is probably the last in his line to protect a seal or passageway that leads to the ruins or something. Look at his attire. He looks like a monk and he has tribal-esque tattoos on his right arm. All of that could mean something.

I'm probably way off mark, but it's worth speculating.

iplay5150

I'm predicting a truly tragic ending. All through the game, you play as the kid, traveling with the creature, caring for him and rotecting him just as the creature cares for and protects you. Then, at the end, the kid dies trying to protect the creature from the guards. Then, when that happens, you control the creature and slaughter the remaining guards in a tearful rage. The game ends with the creature, heartbroken, carrying his dead friend to a majestic field to rest in peace. The creature lies next to him and decides to never leave his side. The creature dies snuggled against the boy, music swells, fades to black, credits roll with a tearful montage of all your adventures you had together.

Yes, they will both die, and you ALL will cry like little girls. :D

mr_nothin

Banned
1z4winn.gif

This makes me want an AVATAR game soooooo freakin bad.

The nickelodeon serious of AVATAR. He reminds me so much of Ange. An avatar game using this engine would be so amazing.

Mamesj

Banned
momolicious said:
why is everyone mainly discussing the death of the characters...? Is this the point of the game?

because it seems pretty obvious, given how the other two games dwelled on attachment and death. they show the kid and the cute cat thing forming a connection too, so it seems like one or the other will die, or they'll get split up at the end.

camineet

Banned
TalonsOfJustice said:
Fuck Peter Molyneux and his dog bullshit. This game sets the bar for bringing compassion into a video game. Out of all the rehashed bullcrap nowadays, finally get to see something different for a change.

Thank you. I very much agree

Peter Molyneux has been fucking irrelevant for several generations now.

le.phat

SolidSnakex said:

There! right before the creature moves its head over to the left its ears already twitch into that direction, just like cats and dogs act! That right there, that insane level of detail is what's bringing this creature to life like no other in game creature before it, ever

le.phat

also. seriously Ueda, let this game be about deep bonding, companionship, not about ultimate sacrifice! Please don't break our hearts ;(

My plan for the day failed hard. I went to Gamestop to see if they had a copy of ICO, they didn't. I went to Blockbuster to see if they had a copy of Miller's Crossing. Double fail. :(

Actually, my Gamestop is getting a copy from another store.
U K Narayan said:

Think about this.

ICO

Wander & The Colossus

Fuck, that would be even worse. ;_;

No one has ever died in a Ueda game, even Argo made it out with nothing more than a twisted ankle. I'm calling it: no one dies in The Last Guardian.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
No one has ever died in a Ueda game, even Argo made it out with nothing more than a twisted ankle. I'm calling it: no one dies in The Last Guardian.
Unless you count both Ico and Yorda dying at the end of that game.

That's right. I went there.

AkuMifune

Banned
U K Narayan said:

Think about this.

ICO

Wander & The Colossus

No one will die! I couldn't take it again.

Monroeski said:
Unless you count both Ico and Yorda dying at the end of that game.

That's right. I went there.

I saw them wake up on the beach. You crazy.

Greg said:
Why isn't this up in HD when we have a trailer for every other game at the show?
No new God of War 3 trailer, and the gameplay footage from the conference isn't up either. But I expect a trailer within the next two days.

Who knows if we'll ever get an HD direct feed version of the new FF13 trailer though.

rhino4evr

I showed my wife the trailer and her reaction was "That thing is going to die isn't it? I am not going to watch you play that game, just that preview alone made me want to start crying"

Pretty amazing how life like the creature is. It reminds me a lot of my cat.

JB1981

Just saw the new trailer. Holy mega upgrade. Game looks absolutely amazing. Trailer of the show. Looks like a work of art.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Valkyr Junkie said:
I miss the dynamic light being cast on the dust in this shot :/
Wouldn;t make sense with this new lighting engine. The last piece had different lighting. It's a total imprivement and makes sense

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Awesome to see how much everything has improved, literally.

The only thing I'm worried about is that is the exact same trailer as the previous one (the extra scenes were simply edited out of the previous trailer), but with better graphics. So I'm wondering, if the game has advanced so much, how come is it exactly the same trailer?

From my development experience, I've NEVER seen a game have so many sequences that would stay intact over two years after being originally made, too many things change during production. Yet this is a frame-per-frame copy of the original one, with updated graphics, almost as if it was a movie rather than a game production.

So this means that; either they really planned things as far as cutscenes are considered really early on (basically wrote down exactly what would happen in the game, story-boarded everything, etc.), and they are sticking 100% to those as originally planned, which is really something I've never seen before in game development (even past Ico team games changed a lot during the development), and which would imply that the final game is probably identical to whatever it was like two years ago.

Or, the game is still far far away from being completed, and instead of showing the game they just updated the assets and made an update of the original trailer using the same animation and such. Basically, it's not really the game, but an updated "internal trailer", with the newer game assets, just to show something because people have been impatient.

I would bet on the former rather than the later, but seriously, I've never seen a game unchanged to this extent after two years of development, especially considering that the story is usually something that gets finalized very late in development, hence cutscenes are never even started until very far in production (just like in past Ico Team games too).

But it's really not impossible that they would have had a very precise idea as to how the game should unfold story-wise, to the point where they were able to work on the cutscenes very early on without making major changes.

I hope we get some info from Ueda soon now that the game has been unveiled. Please someone interview him!

AND I WANT DIRECT-FEED HD FOOTAGE!!!!:(

EDIT: BTW it looks to me like the kid and the creature already know each other, he's not running away from it at the beginning, but maybe from something else?

Nafai1123

Banned
After seeing the original "leaked" video, I was really worried that they couldn't pull off the feathers.

...I never should have doubted. :D

The lighting is just jaw dropping, and the animationnnnn!!!!

*passes out*

jett

D-Member
It's painful that no direct-feed HD vid is available out there. :/ I'm downloading the truncated version from blimblim, I guess that's better than nothing

StuBurns

Banned
Holtz said:
IGN has the trailer in HD, but it's only for insiders. :/
Well their excuse for HD is embarrassing anyway.

As long as someone has it, makes me think everyone else will eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom