• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night - GIFs/Screens/Discussion (Large GIF warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AESplusF

Tech-wise you use a 3D renderer (Unity, Unreal, whatever you like) to draw flat-shaded sprites as quads on a flat plane using an orthographic camera, then apply a normal map and let the shading engine do its job.

In terms of generating the normals, you can either:
A. Hand-paint them using a facet palette if your sprites are small or have simple enough surfaces.
B. Use a tool to autogenerate a normal map from a set of directional lighting profiles. Here's some example output.

The gif above uses hand-painted normals for the tiles and an autogenerated map for the little smiley blob. No depth map or ambient occlusion, but they're very doable if you're so inclined providing your engine supports them.

There's a package out there called Sprite Lamp that had a successful kickstarter and managed to commercialize the technique (and may well be what this game is using), but from what I gather the engine integration for their extra features didn't work out so well and the developer is winding down on the project. Their kickstarter page has a more detailed run-down of how it all works.

You know, there's a forum called ResetEra that would be a perfect place to have this discussion.

Perfect, thanks, will try this out later.

Spman2099

The game is graphically pretty breathtaking...

...but Soret really has some shitty views.

This is absolutely one of those "wait and see" type games for me. I think its aesthetic is entrancing, but I am going to wait for some people to play it first and assure me that the game isn't a neckbeard manifesto in disguise.

I will always be highly suspicious of gamergaters (as well as nazis, klansman, and PETA).

Grinchy

Banned
Tech-wise you use a 3D renderer (Unity, Unreal, whatever you like) to draw flat-shaded sprites as quads on a flat plane using an orthographic camera, then apply a normal map and let the shading engine do its job.

A. Hand-paint them using a facet palette if your sprites are small or have simple enough surfaces.
B. Use a tool to autogenerate a normal map from a set of directional lighting profiles. Here's some example output.

The gif above uses hand-painted normals for the tiles and an autogenerated map for the little smiley blob. No depth map or ambient occlusion, but they're very doable if you're so inclined providing your engine supports them.

There's a package out there called Sprite Lamp that had a successful kickstarter and managed to commercialize the technique (and may well be what this game is using), but from what I gather the engine integration for their extra features didn't work out so well and the developer is winding down on the project. Their kickstarter page has a more detailed run-down of how it all works.
That is a really interesting look into something I know nothing about. And of course:

p20urBFm.png

Shifty

Perfect, thanks, will try this out later.

No problem :)

You might have to wrestle with some orthographic-specific stuff depending on how well your engine supports it- unreal's ortho lighting has been busted since 4.14, so I've had to use 4.13 and implement a bunch of workarounds to get it up to standard. Best of luck!

That is a really interesting look into something I know nothing about. And of course:

Just doing my best to keep the thread vaguely on track!

That and the technique needs more love. It's gorgeous, but barely any games using it have made it to market.

I'm not sure in terms of puzzles but it is somewhat of a throwback to games like Out of this World/Another World and Flashback.

The IGN youtube video I linked gets into this a little.

You're trying to steer it to the personal politics/personal views of the game creator and how you perceive that to have an impact on the game and/or how we should view it.

It doesn't lead to any healthy commentary as has been reflected in previous threads about this game.

No I'm correcting a falsity that has now ensured people who are reading this thread and about the game for the first time aren't misinformed.

I didn't say anything at all about how it impacts the game or how you should view it. Support it all you want, it's your money not mine.

You could maybe not try to stifle conflicting opinions about the game and accept that this game has some really not nice stigma rightly associated from it, from the main dev himself?

This is a weird way of allowing for nuanced discussion and criticism from all sides which I'm 99.9% certain I saw you rallying for yesterday.

NahaNago

No I'm correcting a falsity that has now ensured people who are reading this thread and about the game for the first time aren't misinformed.

I didn't say anything at all about how it impacts the game or how you should view it. Support it all you want, it's your money not mine.

You could maybe not try to stifle conflicting opinions about the game and accept that this game has some really not nice stigma rightly associated from it, from the main dev himself?

This is a weird way of allowing for nuanced discussion and criticism from all sides which I'm 99.9% certain I saw you rallying for yesterday.

The gifs and screenshots only creates interest in the game to see what it is about not what the devs might believe in. Anything outside of what the game is about will be simply seen as your agenda to create trouble in a thread and divert attention from the game. The only person stifling anything is you and the broken record about the dev that comes up every time this game comes up.

Spman2099

The gifs and screenshots only creates interest in the game to see what it is about not what the devs might believe in. Anything outside of what the game is about will be simply seen as your agenda to create trouble in a thread and divert attention from the game. The only person stifling anything is you and the broken record about the dev that comes up every time this game comes up.

I understand your position to a degree. However, it was Soret who started the conversation initially, though I am sure he regrets that now. Unfortunately for those who aren't interested in hearing about it, it is always going to be a big part of the conversation surrounding The Last Night. You may view it as political, but at one point Soret aligned his game with a specific brand of politics, so now that is part of the conversation too.

This is just (predictably) going round in circles almost beat-for-beat as the previous thread(s). For now there's absolutely no way of providing definitively one way or the other that the game is gamergate glorified so for now there's little anyone other than Sorbet can do here. I suppose this thread will be fine for just marvelling at the admittedly great art direction in yet another really slow moving thread but let's hope that Sorbet took the criticism seriously and has removed all references to gamergate from the game. If he hasn't, then it obviously will be a (if not *the*) point of discussion about the game and we shouldn't need to go round in circles anymore.

TL;DR there aren't merely 'allegations' that the game ties into gamergate, it comes from Sorbet himself and he hasn't definitively proven that he has removed it an until if/when that happens I can agree that there's not much more to say, as long as people are not actively lying.

Grinchy

Banned
No problem :)

You might have to wrestle with some orthographic-specific stuff depending on how well your engine supports it- unreal's ortho lighting has been busted since 4.14, so I've had to use 4.13 and implement a bunch of workarounds to get it up to standard. Best of luck!

Just doing my best to keep the thread vaguely on track!

That and the technique needs more love. It's gorgeous, but barely any games using it have made it to market.

So is this similar in any way to techniques being used for Octopath Traveler? That game looks amazing and I wish we were getting this style for the FFVII remake. It would fit a FFIX remake beautifully as well.

I'm no mod, but iirc this isn't the place for that discussion anyway. Please don't shit the thread.

But this does bring up a question about the new direction of the forum - if "politics" aren't allowed, I'm assuming that means gamergate is off topic. So how do we approach a game made by a gamergator that pushes gamergate ideals? Do we just not talk about that part of the game?

NahaNago

I understand your position to a degree. However, it was Soret who started the conversation initially, though I am sure he regrets that now. Unfortunately for those who aren't interested in hearing about it, it is always going to be a big part of the conversation surrounding The Last Night. You may view it as political, but at one point Soret aligned his game with a specific brand of politics, so now that is part of the conversation too.

I just view it as annoying more than political. Its like condemning a Japanese game for having a half naked character in the game every time the game comes up.

This is just (predictably) going round in circles almost beat-for-beat as the previous thread(s). For now there's absolutely no way of providing definitively one way or the other that the game is gamergate glorified so for now there's little anyone other than Sorbet can do here. I suppose this thread will be fine for just marvelling at the admittedly great art direction in yet another really slow moving thread but let's hope that Sorbet took the criticism seriously and has removed all references to gamergate from the game. If he hasn't, then it obviously will be a (if not *the*) point of discussion about the game and we shouldn't need to go round in circles anymore.

TL;DR there aren't merely 'allegations' that the game ties into gamergate, it comes from Sorbet himself and he hasn't definitively proven that he has removed it an until if/when that happens I can agree that there's not much more to say, as long as people are not actively lying.

The issue i have with it is we tend to hear more about this gamergate thing than the actual game. I feel like we know barely anything about the game even the ign thing was just mostly a bunch of images. I would simply like to make my decision on the game once i have all the details actually concerning the game instead of everything surrounding it. Was also hoping the folks who muddied up the last few The Last Night threads would have moved on to the other site.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Wait, what? What's the deal with this game that everyone hated? The look alone sells this game in my book. Is it a political game?

The game takes certain viewpoints and extrapolates a scenario where they could be used for evil in the future. Proponents of that viewpoint don't allow any negative press so they attacked the creator, harassed him and even harassed his wife/mother. It was and still is disgusting.

I am not sure why its OK to have cyberpunk dystopias about one political ideology and not another. Seems hypocritical to me which is why I am not offended by the games premise.

There should be no sacred cows in literature and art.

Gamergate is long dead and buried folks, stop letting their ghosts live rent free in your minds. Find a new boogie man.

But this does bring up a question about the new direction of the forum - if "politics" aren't allowed, I'm assuming that means gamergate is off topic. So how do we approach a game made by a gamergator that pushes gamergate ideals? Do we just not talk about that part of the game?

I'd like this answered too. If people want their thread to focus only on the art direction of the game I apologise but there are still things this site needs to clarify in light of recent events. Off-topic politics is off-limits now and OK but if a new trailer for this game comes out next week and confirms that this is a... how should we say a politically active piece of media? What happens then? Or not just *this* game but future games?

I think further clarification is needed. I'd certainly be very disappointed if discussion was diluted/censored should the game be what I fear.

NahaNago

This is the look I remember.

066976.jpg

Those gifs in the OP look vastly improved.

I do think your right. Now that i think about it . There was originally a small short with him on the roof and the camera going down but that was a while back i thought.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'd like this answered too. If people want their thread to focus only on the art direction of the game I apologise but there are still things this site needs to clarify in light of recent events. Off-topic politics is off-limits now and OK but if a new trailer for this game comes out next week and confirms that this is a... how should we say a politically active piece of media? What happens then? Or not just *this* game but future games?

I think further clarification is needed. I'd certainly be very disappointed if discussion was diluted/censored should the game be what I fear.

I would start by not seeing the world as so black and white. Also, Gamergate is dead and shouldn't be discussed because it is ridiculous to continually beat a dead horse. Are there misogynists out there? Yes, a lot. Does making a game about feminism gone bad make you a misogynist? No. Its ok to explore the negative impacts of political ideologies. If his game was about how capitalism fucked up the future then nobody would have a problem with it here.

How come one ideology is sacred and the other a whipping post? You should really think about that.

Grinchy

Banned
This is the look I remember.

066976.jpg

Those gifs in the OP look vastly improved.

Yeah, according to the IGN video, he made an initial short game that won at a Cyberpunk Jam. It was made in 6 days back in 2014. The positive impressions allowed him to go further with it to turn it into a full game, and from there the crazy visual applications were created.

It's so weird seeing it look so flat.

I would start by not seeing the world as so black and white. Also, Gamergate is dead and shouldn't be discussed because it is ridiculous to continually beat a dead horse. Are there misogynists out there? Yes, a lot. Does making a game about feminism gone bad make you a misogynist? No. Its ok to explore the negative impacts of political ideologies. If his game was about how capitalism fucked up the future then nobody would have a problem with it here.

How come one ideology is sacred and the other a whipping post? You should really think about that.

Are you a mod? I was obviously wanting clarity from the site owner or a mod specifically with my question.

Galang

Banned
Honestly ironic that this pig is toasting the death of neogaf, yet some of the devs who preach about equality are still running around these forums like this past week never happened. Hope this game flops just like this forum

The game based on politics?

Exactly lol, this is taking a really weird and frankly scary direction now. You are not trying that "video games are not political they're just toys!" tripe with *this* game of all games surely?

We have thankfully evolved quite a bit from when video games were just shooting down asteroids/aliens or jumping over barrels.

You have some nerve if you're trying that TBH.

Velius

Banned
Honestly ironic that this pig is toasting the death of neogaf, yet some of the devs who preach about equality are still running around these forums like this past week never happened. Hope this game flops just like this forum

Yes, yes, we know you hate them. Run along.

The game looks amazing. The voxel shading is gorgeous. I can't wait.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If games are art, games are political things

Correct. Art is created in the moment, and it is a product of everything, politics included and how they affect folks.

There's no way around it, all art is like this. It's just a fact.

You know, there's a forum called ResetEra that would be a perfect place to have this discussion.

Very cool

GAF's collective effort to ruin this developer was one of the most shameful episodes of the forum's recent past.

It's what finally convinced me that the site had truly become ideologically possessed and corrupt beyond reason.

I wish the developer the best of luck with this beautiful game.

Shifty

So is this similar in any way to techniques being used for Octopath Traveler? That game looks amazing and I wish we were getting this style for the FFVII remake. It would fit a FFIX remake beautifully as well.

From my observations playing the demo, Octopath's lighting implementation is simpler and more 'standard' as far as hybrid 2D-3D games go.

In that game, the sprites are drawn in a 3D environment and lit as a flat surface. Practically speaking, this means they behave like a lit piece of paper that always faces the camera- light affects them uniformly rather than on a pixel-by-pixel basis, and the 'detail lighting' is baked directly into the sprites themselves, as it is in traditional 2D pixel art.

So, the fancy unreal lighting applies, but it doesn't know which 'direction' (a.k.a. normal) each of the sprite's pixels is facing, only the direction of the piece of paper. The same goes for the 3D environments- they're 3D surfaces so the renderer already knows the direction they're facing relative to any given light source, but the textures themselves are 'flat' and will respond uniformly to lighting.

From a technical standpoint, I don't see them having any issues implementing normal mapping. The engine supports it natively (as it should- it's a basic 3D rendering feature, just being used creatively in my case), and they're using perspective projection so none of the limitations or bugs with unreal's ortho camera would apply.

Unless they change it before release, its absence from Octopath is likely a case of the art directors either not knowing about the technique or not being able to justify the additional time and cost required to create normal maps for every frame of every sprite.

Very cool

This is the mentality that causes threads to derail into echo chamber witch hunts. You're attempting to focus the discussion on the creator and their past controversies under the guise of preventing misinformation.

If you want to discuss the game's narrative and the politics that are allegedly intrinsic to it then do so in the context of the game's fiction, not outdated real-world twitter drama.

Again, ResetEra is where you should be if you want to post PSA messages and lambast people for their political stance.

Spman2099

OK, keep derailing the thread then and I'll politely leave and discuss this game somewhere else.

How is any of this derailing the thread? Guys, let's not make GAF weird now. This IS a part of games. That will never not be a thing.

Again, ResetEra is where you should be if you want to post PSA messages and lambast people for their political stance.

If GAF does ultimately die it will be the Shiftys that killed it...

It is unfortunate that you are so quick to be shitty, as the other half of your post is really interesting.

Shifty

How is any of this derailing the thread? Guys, let's not make GAF weird now. This IS a part of games. That will never not be a thing.

If GAF does ultimately die it will be the Shiftys that killed it...
There's half a page of derail a stone's throw away from your post, and the GAF you're talking about died and resurrected elsewhere over the weekend if the State of GAF OP is anything to go by.

It is unfortunate that you are so quick to be shitty, as the other half of your post is really interesting.
I mean, thanks but also not thanks I guess? The interesting stuff is what I'm here for, I'm just sick of it taking a backseat to hostility in most discussions.

I think it's absolutely fair to criticise the creator for his views and take him to task. I also think it's absolutely fair to listen to him take his L and apologize and move on. No need to kill the guy if he's apologized and is better for it.

Im in a holding pattern with this game right now. I'll wait for reviews on gameplay and story. I won't support neoconservative views, but I won't automatically assume they're in there either.

Sailent

Banned
"In a world... where feminism won and everyone is paid just for being human so creativity has died because people do art for money and only money... The Last Night. A terrible terrible world."

No thanks.

I don't agree with all of his political views but the premise sounds original and the game looks gorgeous so I can't wait to try it.

Too often people confuse buying a product with literally supporting a cause. Like how you hate gays if you eat at Chik Fil A.

Harlock

This game graphics is like a 90s adventure who never stopped evolving. The cool thing is being pixeled, still leaves that space you can fill with your imagination.

beneathasteelskyremastered.jpg

(Beneath a Steel City)

Shifty

This game graphics is like a 90s adventure who never stopped evolving. The cool thing is being pixeled, still leaves that space you can fill with your imagination.

beneathasteelskyremastered.jpg

(Beneath a Steel City)

Man, I remember Beneath a Steel Sky. What I played of it was great if somewhat brutal.
One line from the first room always stuck in my mind- "The press wheezes like an asthmatic dinosaur in mating season."

And the point about pixelation is so true. What with the characters being realistically proportioned and trying to cram that into low res, it gives you the gist and lets your brain run with it. One person's mental image of a character could be totally different from the next.

I don't agree with all of his political views but the premise sounds original and the game looks gorgeous so I can't wait to try it.

Too often people confuse buying a product with literally supporting a cause. Like how you hate gays if you eat at Chik Fil A.

I think it's absolutely fair to criticise the creator for his views and take him to task. I also think it's absolutely fair to listen to him take his L and apologize and move on. No need to kill the guy if he's apologized and is better for it.

I appreciate the even-handedness of these posts.

Stoop Man

Not a good comparison, imo. The chik fil guy was very active and influential in opposing marriage equality. This dev mostly seems like just an asshole.

There's potential here for a good, prescient sci fi. Or it could be a hamfisted statement about political correctness killing free expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom