• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us' autosave has a glitch. Read if you're playing. [Apparently fixed]

arne

thanks Arne.

I haven't launched the game yet – I assume I won't have to do anything special at this point? (playing this evening)

Yep - just a reboot or relaunch is needed if you are in it. If you already aren't in the game to begin with, then you're all good!

Oppo

I'm calm, just frustrated.

Hey Moobabe, here's an anecdote for ya. Not sure if it'll make you feel better or not.

I played through Uncharted 2 on Crushing, while also picking up the necessary relic hunter stuff to get the Platinum. Boy was that tough. Fun but super tough.

I get to the end of the game.. and the trophy does not drop. No Platinum. I can't believe it.

I sat there for a sec stewing about it. Then I decided to view this in light of the challenge I had just undegone – like a really tough boss fight, or level, or puzzle, sometimes you just have to persevere.

So I finished Uncharted 2 on Crushing. Again. RIGHT AWAY. IN ONE CONTINUOUS GO. THE WHOLE THING. LAUGHING MANIACALLY WHILE I WENT.

It's my favourite trophy now. ;) true story

Yep - just a reboot or relaunch is needed if you are in it. If you already aren't in the game to begin with, then you're all good!
Thanks! feel free to tell your colleagues that your fans are insane enough to do what I did on U2.

SRTtoZ

Fixed already?? Just went and grabbed my copy, got home and title says fixed. So I can officially patch it, log onto PSN, download DLC and play??

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Wow. just restarted and it started me back to the beginning. just lost 4 hours of gameplay. this sucks.

arne

Quoting these two for emphasis.

Prioritizing the collection of single player statistics over letting a player PROPERLY AUTOSAVE in your code is not a good idea.

If that server or servers has the same problem pop up, the bug will return.

It was the same system and server for UC3, survived fine for that onslaught of players, and that worked fine. Something just didn't work this time, unforeseen and unexpected, but it came up and we were able to figure it out, thankfully. Speculating on our code or how it works, though, won't be helpful to anyone sorry.

explodet

Since the stat collecting code was probably not test with a big enough load (giggity), they probably never ran into problems. I would assume they will patch the game to make sure this is fixed, even though things are already working on the server side.
Yup, ND just needs to keep another couple of eyes on the server until they patch in a fix.
I guess it's come to this, that a single player game causes unexpected server load. I'm half-tempted to start a thread on this.

It was the same system and server for UC3, survived fine for that onslaught of players, and that worked fine. Something just didn't work this time, unforeseen and unexpected, but it came up and we were able to figure it out, thankfully. Speculating on our code or how it works, though, won't be helpful to anyone sorry.
Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.
Eagerly waiting for the work day to end so I can play TLoU myself.

Moobabe

Hey Moobabe, here's an anecdote for ya. Not sure if it'll make you feel better or not.

I played through Uncharted 2 on Crushing, while also picking up the necessary relic hunter stuff to get the Platinum. Boy was that tough. Fun but super tough.

I get to the end of the game.. and the trophy does not drop. No Platinum. I can't believe it.

I sat there for a sec stewing about it. Then I decided to view this in light of the challenge I had just undegone – like a really tough boss fight, or level, or puzzle, sometimes you just have to persevere.

So I finished Uncharted 2 on Crushing. Again. RIGHT AWAY. IN ONE CONTINUOUS GO. THE WHOLE THING. LAUGHING MANIACALLY WHILE I WENT.

It does man, thanks. It's annoying because I was enjoying the story so much and properly engaged with it; some of that magic is always lost the second time around, I'm going to have to take a break so it doesn't feel quite as fresh.

kubus

So it's fixed but you need to restart the game?

This sucks :(. Boyfriend decided to turn off the PS3 anyway after playing all day long. He was going to keep the PS3 on and finish the game in one run, but eventually decided not to in case the game would freeze later on (especially since we would have to keep the PS3 on overnight) and because he probably wouldn't get New Game+.

There goes his 5 hour progress. Man, never expected this from a ND game.

I was really concerned about this when I read it this morning before leaving to grab my copy. I'm super happy to see when I get back that it's all fixed. Nice service Naughty Dog, understandably issues will arise in ways you don't expect, but this is one of the fastest fixes I've seen.

M.Bluth

F27Jy7b.png

link

Resilient

Welp I just marathoned it because I didn't want to lose the 4+ hours of progress I had. And let me tell you. It was fucking worth it. Kudos to the team and arne for being so helpful in the thread. The sleep deprivation was worth it. Lots of love, from Australia

Moobabe

Moobabe is allowed to voice his frustrations guys. He paid good money for the product.

I'm entitled.

I appreciate one or two comments were a little over the top - and I've apologised to Christophe on twitter for asking for an apology - but it was born of frustration, one that grew when some idiots reared their little faces :p

kubus

No, if you are currently playing the game, right now when they fixed the issue, you need to exit out and restart the software, not restart the story. Existing saves are fine, as they said.
Yeah that's what I meant.
He started playing five hours ago and apparently had the bug right from the start. So all of that progress is lost now.

Cornbread78

The quick fix is exactly why these guys are top notch.

I picked my copy up at lunch and can't way to throw it in my PS3 tonight.... I'm expectign the best...

Moobabe

In my defence I didn't see Arne quote and respond to me on the previous page:

"Hey Moobabe, our bad. Sorry 'bout that."

"You call that an apology? It's not even a tweet! I will carry this resentment with me until the day I can dance on your grave!"

Thanks for the quick fix, ND.

Nor this - jeez, threads move fast when people post gifs to make fun of you.

Thanks! feel free to tell your colleagues that your fans are insane enough to do what I did on U2.

I'll kill myself before going through the train boss on Crushing again

Resilient

It seems finishing the game without trying to fix the glitch and just power through it leaves you locked on a black screen after the credits....dang. Trophy received though.

Pillville

This would cause the same bug:
public void DoAutosave()
{
WriteSaveFileToDisk();
SendStatsToServer();
}

edit- actually no it wouldn't, n/m. it could make a huge difference. top exmaple would autosave, wait, fail autosave, you notice it(meaning you could have lost [wait] hours, plus the time until you noticed it). my example would autosave, wait, autosave then fail, you notice it (meaning you lost the time when it happened to when you noticed it)

Plus, I'm totally guessing and/or oversimplifying the problem.

Carnby

No they collect statistics of your single player actions on a server. That seemed to mess up the autosaving process on your game and PS3 system.

I always play SP games offline. It seems I would not have been affected.

And this is a perfect example of why "always online" does not work.

D23

this just happened to me seconds go, i played for 4 hours straight and its all gone cause i had to restart my ps3 due to this bug. fuck, dont even feel like playing it anymore today,

so dissapointed right now
/firstworldproblem
ugh

but still cant be mad at naughty dogs for creating this masterpiece

Top Bottom