• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know who's actually writing this? Their past credits, etc

baekshi

Banned
So there is no family bond between them? It would be great to see a father + daughter thing so we could feel closer to the story and the "I will not let nothing happen to you" thing.

But they just randomly found each other, right? I can't for this game, I just hope to be bigger than any Uncharted game :)

This movie shows a great bond even though it isn't his daughter. I don't see how you just CAN'T.

The team they have put together for this and the quote that they basically thought hey lets make a whole game around the section of UC2 that is drake and Tenzin(Best part of the whole series for me) makes me extremely hopeful that were looking at a lot of potential. Plus even in UC3 when ND want to create a serious moment
Drake is a orphan ect.
they handled it better than almost any other developer I have seen.

This would definitely be a big positive in my mind as well. Glad to hear something like this.

No. My point is that there is a difference between "I'm going to make something really good and hopefully critics will see the quality in it" vs "I'm going to make a true piece of art that critics will be forced to recognize as game-changing."

My experience is that the former usually works out better. I don't think it's good for developers to become pre-occupied with how the outside world will judge their work or with making a "statement game." IMO it's better to just do your best work and let the chips fall where they may.

There are "experience"-based games that I enjoy quite a bit, I don't really care whether a game is going for more of a game or an experience as long as it works. I'm just a bit nervous when I hear people talk about changing the perceptions of games etc.

the difference between your two statement is just the attitude, one is more open about his goal and ambition, while the other is more humble about his goal but ultimately they want to achieve the same thing, make an awesome game/experience.

ND isn't forcing critics to recognize it as game changing/art, they speak openly about their goal and what they want to achieve, when the game is out, it's up to the critics to think if they achieve their goal. if anything, ND's word isn't doing them any favor for making people think it's game-changing because when the game is released, critics will be more critical about the title since ND hype it up so much.

beast786

Uncharted is the only series now that I actually have some anticipation. I have felt a little burn out this year. But Uncharted always get me excited. That and God of war.

So obviously, coming from ND give me tremendous hope. Looking forward to see a new IP from one of my favourite developers.

lol @ Viacom making a copyright claim on the TLOU trailer and pulling it from youtube.

I have a feeling they will have a nice lawsuit coming their way. The lost hits/views/buzz from the trailer downtime can argued as a real potential monetary loss.

lol @ Viacom making a copyright claim on the TLOU trailer and pulling it from youtube.

I have a feeling they will have a nice lawsuit coming their way. The lost hits/views/buzz from the trailer downtime can argued as a real potential monetary loss.

Yeah, wtf? It has more than a million views too.

Is The Last of Us a Viacom copyright? Strange......

352_max.jpg

536_max.jpg

Glorious.

arne

There might be a bargained for period of exclusivity for GTTV that comes with debuting the trailer.

that period is over

as i understand it, there was a backend error that tagged this (and at least one other VGA premiere video) as ones to be taken down and has even affected GTTV's own YouTube channel. It's being worked on, but as often times seen with things google/YT related, it's just not something that can move super, super fast.

that period is over

as i understand it, there was a backend error that tagged this (and at least one other VGA premiere video) as ones to be taken down and has even affected GTTV's own YouTube channel. It's being worked on, but as often times seen with things google/YT related, it's just not something that can move super, super fast.

hey arne, when can we expect gameplay bits about the game? in the OPM mag or E3? Also is the game even playable at this state?

unfortunately that's not the final version of the theme (nor was it actually really released by any of us).

That's the worst news on this game yet. That theme is fantastic. Where is the Michael Scott nooooo.gif when you need it?

that period is over

As LowEndTorque said, it must sting losing all those hits/views right now though. Don't you guys get $1 for every 1000 hits? With one million hits that's enough for a good luncheon for the 80 people team right there for a successful launch.

∀ Narayan;33447736 said:
No Amy Hennig? Really?

Hope this Neal guy is competent. 1st because I want this game to be great and 2nd because having 2 great writers in the company would put ND in a very envious position (and of course they would have to keep these people occupied so they wouldn't go somewhere else, like Wells said). This means more games for us.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
A post I made during the reveal of the game:

MrOogieBoogie said:
The trailer and overall look of the game is giving me a serious The Road vibe.

That's a good thing.

And from the OP:

Eurogamer said:
Major artistic inspirations, meanwhile, include the movies No Country For Old Men and The Road, comic The Walking Dead and WWII novel City of Thieves.

Contrary to evidence in the trailer, however, The Last of Us is "not a zombie game," insists Staley. Druckmann explains: "If the game was about the monsters, we would have not showed them. The story's not about them, so [we thought] let's get it out of the way."

Instead, he wants us to consider the relationship between its two lead characters. Joel is a survivor and anti-hero (played by Troy Baker), and Ellie is a 14 year-old girl (played by 28 year-old Ashley Johnson) with no memory of the world pre-apocalypse.

I knew I wasn't crazy! :D

Hope this Neal guy is competent. 1st because I want this game to be great and 2nd because having 2 great writers in the company would put ND in a very envious position (and of course they would have to keep these people occupied so they wouldn't go somewhere else, like Wells said). This means more games for us.

He directed UC2, so I'm guessing we're ok on the "game" part. Just have to wait and see how the writing is.

Well she had to write a story on the set pieces while generally it should been the other way around

Exactly. That would be a damn difficult job. In their early creative meetings you know they envisioned the gameplay set-pieces the
boat, plane,ect..
Before having any idea what the specific storyline linking those pieces would be.

HOLY CRAP.

Just downloaded the video off PSN...
The video makes it look like something from PS4 compared with the Youtube version which made it feel generic.

Pranay

Exactly. That would be a damn difficult job. In their early creative meetings you know they envisioned the gameplay set-pieces the
boat, plane,ect..
Before having any idea what the specific storyline linking those pieces would be.

Yeah, I heard them saying that in gametrailer interview.

Hopefully with more time, they do it the other way around.

TBH the story of uncharted 3 was under whelming just because of this.

Not sure if posted, but new Naughty Dog blog post:

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/the_last_of_us_is_spreading/

If you still haven't seen every suspense-filled, emotionally charged second of The Last of Us announcement trailer you'll be able to download it and watch it in glorious 720p on your PS3 via the PS Store today. Be sure to study the trailer carefully. There are hints about the game and how it'll play in nearly every frame.

A dynamic theme and an Ellie Avatar are on the way. Check back shortly to learn how to get your theme as we'll have details soon. There's a plethora of other content to come as the game develops so be on the lookout.

Zen

Banned
I knew I wasn't crazy! :D

Yeah, there's no way that the Road wasn't a major inspiration for this, but I too breathed a sigh of relief when it was actually listed as inspiration. It spares needless arguments on Gaf. :riplolemote:

Good. Her writing on Uncharted 3 was...questionable.

Her writing with Uncharted 1 and 2 were very good, so I'm willing to file three under 'not enough time' like many of the aspects of the game.

Well she had to write a story on the set pieces while generally it should been the other way around

pretty sure they use the same method for Uncharted 2. I thought the biggest culprit is Cutter voice actor leaving and they have to rewritten the story but since their schedule is crazy tight, they can't afford to scrap any work they've done so it become a patch job here and there.

Luyd3.jpg

animals! I wonder if we can kill them. I remember reading comment that you can't shoot animal in Uncharted because of rating reason, same with how dead bodies don't react when you shoot them, but will move if you walk through them

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Yes! My tampon story scenario lives on! Lol, I hope there is an online component along the lines of RE;Outbreak and players form a small band of survivors that attempt to flee/survive the city. Be cool juggling supplies between players and players could possibly splinter off and lead their own band of survivors to the "promised land".

C_H_T

Luyd3.jpg

animals! I wonder if we can kill them. I remember reading comment that you can't shoot animal in Uncharted because of rating reason, same with how dead bodies don't react when you shoot them, but will move if you walk through them

Eating animals to survive?

Top Bottom