• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

the world is really not as bleak as we thought, it's nowhere near The Road where the earth is actually dying and you can't find food etc. in this post apocalyptic world, where the nature is plentiful like that, survivors can easily gather up, set up shelter and actually cultivate the land or hunt animal for food etc.

I bet the goal of the game is basically to go to that place, the last human settlement that's still safe and protected etc.

spats

Nature piece with the collapsed bridge is awesome. A higher res version would make me change wallpapers for the first time in like a year.

thelastofus-late2012-3xj16.png

thelastofus-late2012-r3jqp.png

With regard to tampons, you guys are being a bit silly, won't Ellie just use a clean rolled up cloth that has been sterilised in the absence of a box of tampons? Most likely, the missions won't be centred around a search for tampons but rather a search for implements to use for boiling water which can be used to clean pieces of their clothing, and for cutting things into shape so that they fit into Ellen Page's tight vag.

Uncharted 1 and 2 (yet to play 3 .. please don't judge me... i blame my daughter) ... are some of the only games that have made me honestly chuckle at a line of dialogue or the way a scene played out via the animation and characters on the screen at the time. Hearing Nate laugh when he almost dies on a train ... or make some quick comment about the absurd situation he's finding himself in (the sub and shit like that)... i dunno. Personally i think it's better than a large majority of the characters in any other franchise, especially.

Maybe the narrative story isn't some crazy high calibur thrilling heartwrenching life affirming thing... and that's fine. Name me one game that IS that. Maybe Last of Us will try .. maybe they will actually succeed. But for me.. the game works excellenty as just that. A game. One with a few characters i roll my eyes at and wait to exit stage left and a few more that i actually get into when they are on the screen. and dat chloe ass.

Uncharted 2 has much better dialogue than Uncharted 3 - UC3 isn't especially bad or anything, it's perfectly good, it's just that I recall UC2 having movie-quality dialogue.

As far as the storyline for UC3 goes, the Drake/Sully storyline was brilliant - better than anything I remember in UC2 (where the storyline high point was the Tamzen bit). But yet, the villians were wtf?

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Uncharted 2 has much better dialogue than Uncharted 3 - UC3 isn't especially bad or anything, it's perfectly good, it's just that I recall UC2 having movie-quality dialogue.

As far as the storyline for UC3 goes, the Drake/Sully storyline was brilliant - better than anything I remember in UC2 (where the storyline high point was the Tamzen bit). But yet, the villians were wtf?

I think U2 had a better story but U3 has better dialogue

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Stating Joel is the lead and presumably controllable from the start has put a great big dent in my hype. I wanted the difference to be immediate from the start, not get plonked with Nathand Gruffbeard.

I think U2 had a better story but U3 has better dialogue

Nah. U2 didn't feel grounded in it's own reality near the end of the game unlike U3. While U3 hinted at the supernatural, it also presented it without being obscene. U1 also presented it's supernatural spin quite well, as it gradually builded up into the discovery of the mutants.

U2 just felt like "omg great engaging realistic plot. wait for it. BLUE IMMORTAL LIQUID FOR EVERYONE!" The build up in U1 and U2 was much better at preparing us for what was to come near the end sort of like Indiana Jones. U2 was like a great action movie with some weird supernatural subplot tacked on.

snack

With regard to tampons, you guys are being a bit silly, won't Ellie just use a clean rolled up cloth that has been sterilised in the absence of a box of tampons? Most likely, the missions won't be centred around a search for tampons but rather a search for implements to use for boiling water which can be used to clean pieces of their clothing, and for cutting things into shape so that they fit into Ellen Page's tight vag.

You... need to go outside and get some sunlight!!

Sorc3r3r

I think this is going to be amazing on tech ,gameplay, soundtrack, set-pieces.

As they described it, it's built by a team of people that love the challenge, know their works and have the talent to deliver the most crazy/complex stuff in the biz(U2 and U3 are a clear statement of this).

It's not only their lead that's is good it's a dream team.

Now my only concern is, can they really deliver on the story, on a mature story?
Can they build a connection between the man and the girl and project this to the player?
Can they really make us care about them?

Honestly I think this will be the most difficult thing, i love their writing on Uncharted series, but, there, is all about jokes, fun, irony, the drama is easy built by contrast on that light feel of the whole scripting has.

To add drama to drama,hard.

I have very little hope on this, just looking at the state of the western films.

red731

Awesome artworks!
First one I wallpapered - I would lie if I won't feel any emotional connection with them.
I can't wait for the game!

Personally I enjoyed U3's story more than U2 because the relationships felt more mature/developed. U2 had better pacing and dialogue, but the dynamic between Nate/Sully, Nate/Elena, Sully/Elena in U3 really showed ND are capable of pulling off these connections.
Not saying it will for sure be the same here, as we don't know who the writer is.

As far as making us care for Joel and Ellie, these few threads since Saturday have already shown to be a hilarious testament to the love for Ellie. =/

Globox_82

Banned
the world is really not as bleak as we thought, it's nowhere near The Road where the earth is actually dying and you can't find food etc. in this post apocalyptic world, where the nature is plentiful like that, survivors can easily gather up, set up shelter and actually cultivate the land or hunt animal for food etc.

I bet the goal of the game is basically to go to that place, the last human settlement that's still safe and protected etc.

Like in I am Legend. How humans would actually react. Not rape, steal, kill 100%

Globox_82

Banned
Somebody has to write Uncharted 4 :p

Don't expect it before 2014 imo.

Unless they rush it for PS4 launch.

I think U4 needs that extra year to come up with some fresh ideas and concepts, or people will start complaining and sales will probably start going down, not up.

I hope there will be scenarios like this in the game:
- Joel and Ellie meets some hostile survivors and they go at it
- The infected suddenly shows up and they have to work together to survive / defeat them
- After they get rid of the infected, the survivors continue their conflict with Joel and Ellie as if nothing just happened (I meant they have had these experiences so much that it has become simple routine now)

Now my only concern is, can they really deliver on the story, on a mature story?
Can they build a connection between the man and the girl and project this to the player?
Can they really make us care about them?

For me, enslaved achieved this. Given the similarities, no reason to suggest they wouldn't do the same. If they can also put in some gameplay that is half-way enjoyable it will keep me very happy.

Like in I am Legend. How humans would actually react. Not rape, steal, kill 100%

it also depends on how many infected there are, if people infected didn't show signs at early stages, then strangers will obviously be wary and distrustful of each other. so I'm not expecting strangers will just help each other too.

most likely there are human settlement that are still civilized, hidden and safe inside gates/wall and that's probably the goal of their journey, outside of those settlement, yeah I can see how it's every man for himself, kill or be killed situation

We all know how that will end. Journey to the safe settlement gets completed about 70% through the game. Not everything is as it seems, hope crushed etc etc.

Girl dies etc etc.

it's a trilogy, Joel dies in the first game, 2nd game starring older Ellie with new male character (which will look like Nathan Drake and voiced by Nolan North), both survive 2nd game, then in the third game, you play as older Nathan Drake trying to protect Ellie and her son. Nate dies in the end.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just...I'm trying to get hyped for this. I've never played an Uncharted game all the way through but I've played enough to know that Naughty Dog are excellent at what they do, but....I can't bring myself to feel anything for that concept art. I feel like I'm just done with the post-apocalypse.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
it also depends on how many infected there are, if people infected didn't show signs at early stages, then strangers will obviously be wary and distrustful of each other. so I'm not expecting strangers will just help each other too.

most likely there are human settlement that are still civilized, hidden and safe inside gates/wall and that's probably the goal of their journey, outside of those settlement, yeah I can see how it's every man for himself, kill or be killed situation

I've addressed this in the previous thread (and maybe I'm wrong) but it seem quite unlikely that any small group of survivors could start over in any type of community when the threat that wiped out the strongest military on earth still persists.

Outside of going underground... what are they gonna do, build a wall? Pretty sure you can bet the marines built walls, and when things got real dicey, guarded them aggressively with the nastiest weapons available.

Didn't work.

The only way to survive while the same threat is still there, is to keep your group very small.... and NO CAMPFIRES!!!

Man, ND, didn't you guys read the road? :p

Cyberia

What's the source on the official theme put up on YouTube? Did ND release it to the wild or something?

Naughty Dog has revealed that double Oscar-winner Gustavo Santaolalla is composing the music for upcoming PS3-exclusive The Last Of Us.

The news came during a presentation at the studio's Santa Monica HQ on Monday, where the full version of the game's main theme - a section of which features at the end of the reveal trailer - was played to press

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...us-scored-by-oscar-winner-gustavo-santaolalla

jiggle

lovely artworks
looks like fungies are not the only enemies they have to fight

camp scene could work like the Tibetan village scenario in U2

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm loving the theme, and that new piece of concept art is great; although, as soon as I noticed the deer, my mind instantly went to Portal 2.

yogaflame

Damn why so late they even mention at worse early 2013. By that time we might lose our interest on current generation games and console because of next gen console better graphics and gameplay. Bad move, if it will be this late then they are obligated to show a game with great visuals and gameplay that even surpass next generation first gen games.
This game will compete against first generation next gen console games.

Damn why so late they even mention at worse early 2013. By that time we might lose our interest on current generation games and console because of next gen console better graphics and gameplay. Bad move, if it will be this late then they are obligated to show a game with great visuals and gameplay that even surpass next generation first gen games.
This game will compete against first generation next gen console games.

God of War 2 was successful even it was released months after the PS3. People will buy the game as long as it's good.

Top Bottom