• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us movie domain name registered

kris.

Banned
I'd go with Josh Brolin for Joel.

xZQ1CB5.jpg

Been thinking this for weeks. Brolin would be perfect. Stick as close as possible to the actual game, get the atmosphere right, and this could work.

JDSN

Banned
The game is already a shoddy version of The Road, but I guess it will be fun to see a bunch a guys raging about the tomatometter of this.

Just get Page. She's good when she wants to be (e.g. Hard Candy) and still looks almost half her actual age.
Well she also was fantastic in Beyond. But after the whole nonsense about Ellie looking like her and twitter people annoying the fuck out of her to the point that she snapped for a second on reddit I doubt she wants to have anything to do with TLoU at this point. Probably for the best if it really does get made, which is highly doubtful.

Not watching unless Ellen Page is in it..

EyiHSYw.jpg
What movie is this from?

Lol.

It's amazing just how bad video game storys are for TLOU's story to be considered excellent.

In it's own right, not discrediting it because it was the storyline for a video game, how is the story and writing in The Last of Us not excellent? The story would have made for a great Book/Movie/Short Film if they choose to go with that, but they decided to make it for a video game, and it still came out flawless. I don't see how they story isn't considered good, it was pretty damn flawless.

Sean*O

Brolin is good but someone post Jamie Lannister with a beard and a few scars and you've got your dead ringer for Joel.

Sgblues

She also meets Joel and Ellie but they have like two scenes and are constantly overshadowed by her heroics. Joel is more of a comic relief character in this version, and also black for some reason. He dies 15 minutes after being introduced.

-In the closing scene, Ellie and Alison are standing on top of a flaming bus-

Ellie: "It can't have been for nothing, right Alison?'

Alison: "No...not now, not ever, not while I'm still around!"

-Cocks shotgun-

Music: "Wub wub wub wub, wuuuuuub, wuuuuuuuub, wub, wub"

-Then the camera zooms out to show a city in fiery ruins and millions of clickers and bloaters are jam packed in the streets, then a helicopter flies into the screen and we see the pilot is a clicker-

JoeInky

In it's own right, not discrediting it because it was the storyline for a video game, how is the story and writing in The Last of Us not excellent? The story would have made for a great Book/Movie/Short Film if they choose to go with that, but they decided to make it for a video game, and it still came out flawless. I don't see how they story isn't considered good, it was pretty damn flawless.

It's execution, pacing and world building is great, but in terms of the actual plot it's really nothing special at all.
I think it would have made for a passable book/movie/short film personally, the only interesting part for me was the setting and the game play, take away that game play and you just have a mediocre story with an interesting premise (mainly talking about the nature of what zombies are in this game when I say that).

Doesn't feel like this is needed when the game already exists, either.

Maybe I'm just down on the game more than most because even though I enjoyed it when I eventually played it, the sheer amount of fan-wanking over it on here gave me really high expectations for the game.

Fergie

Banned
That's very true but more often than not, it backfires when their own thing is inferior to what was offered in the game or it just plain bad writing. I don't mean to write off every future video game movie but I just worry what a movie version of TLoU or SotC could do when their narrative works best in a video game.
I agree, it's a bit worrying. But I won't deny I'm interested.

Busty

Banned
Interestingly there was a recent THR article about Sony Pictures have the least number of copyrights and registered domain names of all the studios because they don't believe it's a good use of resources/cash.

This doesn't meant that is definitely a Last Of Us film coming but it does means that Sony Pictures think enough of the IP to protect it from the likes of Asylum etc making a crappy rip off or sound-a-like.

JoeInky

Feel free to explain why you think "video game stories" are not well done from time to time.

I don't think you understood my post, video game stories are done well from time to time, but it's so rare that when a story that's just alright comes along, people are so used to absolute rubbish that they massively over hype it.

I can't wait for the movie to be nothing like the game.

And the possibility of a talking dog with quirky string pluck cues every time he speaks.

Jac_Solar

Don't watch it then, lol.

I agree with Brolin as Joel.

A bad remake or adaption of something isn't good for anyone interested -- if the movie turned out to be bad, it would mean that it'd be much less likely to get any more games in the franchise. It also means that the movie would steer all the people who haven't played the game away from it, and just make people in general lose respect for it.

A bad remake or adaption of something isn't good for anyone interested -- if the movie turned out to be bad, it would mean that it'd be much less likely to get any more games in the franchise. It also means that the movie would steer all the people who haven't played the game away from it, and just make people in general lose respect for it.

Not necessarily. Street Fighter; Silent Hill; Mario; Resident Evil--none of these were very good and the games continued to do well regardless. Allowing non-gamers to experience a game story is worth it imo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well she also was fantastic in Beyond. But after the whole nonsense about Ellie looking like her and twitter people annoying the fuck out of her to the point that she snapped for a second on reddit I doubt she wants to have anything to do with TLoU at this point. Probably for the best if it really does get made, which is highly doubtful.

I figured Beyond would come up, but I've not played it. Even assuming Page is disinterested, I think she'd change her tune if Sony were to throw its weight behind the project and, in light of the success of World War Z, position it as a big-budget zombie film, plus judging from a cursory glance at her films that I've not seen, some additional role diversification wouldn't go astray.

What movie is this from?

Smart People.

Not sure what to think about this. There already is an excellent (and unparalleled) movie about a tough guy bonding with a strange girl. It's called Léon: The Professional. The game couldn't match it, how is a movie based on the game supposed to? But then, Léon doesn't have a post-apocalyptic scenario or zombies. Zombies sell. Hmm, I think it could be a decent popcorn flick after all...

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Why not just do some FMV CGI thing compiling the game's cutscenes and directed action into a 90 minute feature length? It would be way cheaper and probably qualitatively on par.

Also surprised to see a bit of a backlash here. I wouldn't disagree with The Road Redux sentiment, however.

I figured Beyond would come up, but I've not played it. Even assuming Page is disinterested, I think she'd change her tune if Sony were to throw its weight behind the project and, in light of the success of World War Z, position it as a big-budget zombie film, plus judging from a cursory glance at her films that I've not seen, some additional role diversification wouldn't go astray.

Smart People.
Thanks. Kinda recognized the actor (Dennis Quaid), but wasn't sure. Regarding TLoU: I would definitely be down for Page playing Ellie. She also likes to play the badass female, so it sure wouldn't be outside her reach. But again, I really don't know if she, ND or Sony would be interested in this collaboration after the whole "controversy". There are many other talented actresses already waiting in line I would assume. From a recent interview I watched it also seems like Ellen is pretty busy with producing two movies and directing another one. Finally she has apparently a big thing cooking with Fox as well. Stepping a bit down from acting it looks like.

But who knows. It would be hilarious at any rate if it does end up happening and complete the cycle. Oh and play Beyond if you can and Steam allows you a break :p

NeoGash

So when is Page's schedule free?

It's free all right. Why pay her when you can rip off her likeness? /sarcasm

Seth Rogen will play Joel. It will be a comedy in the vein of Shaun of the Dead and This is the End. Morgan Freeman will narrate the story. Ellen DeGeneres will play Ellie. 5 stars.

th

Yep. This will do perfectly.

My serious vote goes to Hugh Jackman. That guy is freaking awesome and I respect him.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From a recent interview I watched it also seems like Ellen is pretty busy with producing two movies and directing another one. Finally she has apparently a big thing cooking with Fox as well. Stepping a bit down from acting it looks like.

I don't think her current schedule would be an issue given the lack of details -- assuming Sony is looking at getting a TLoU adaptation of the ground it likely wouldn't begin filming until 2015.

But who knows. It would be hilarious at any rate if it does end up happening and complete the cycle. Oh and play Beyond if you can and Steam allows you a break :p

My PS3 kicked the bucket at the beginning of the year, and I decided to forgo purchasing a replacement since the PS4 announcement event was around the corner... but I cancelled my Amazon pre-order the other week to free up some more money for Steam's Autumn/Winter Sales. :p I'll get around to it one day, though, as I could just borrow a mate's system. Full disclosure: I also haven't finished The Last of Us (I did sink a few hours into it, though).

UrbanRats

A lot of people don't play videogames, but TLoU was the only game my girlfriend watched me play where she got hooked by the story. That's your audience right there.

I don't think the story itself, without the interactive element, is strong or original enough to warrant a movie.
Many work of narrative, work great in their environment, but wouldn't make much sense outside of it.
That's why i don't see the point.

There are already movies like The Road (which incidentally was superior as a book) and Le temps du loup, which occupy a very similar niche.

I am bothered by the concept that everything has to appear in every form of media, personally.
Especially if it's a straight retelling.
If this movie is another story, set in the same world, at least i can understand that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Do you folks think Naughty Dog folks would consent of having Ellen cast as Ellie after how vehemently they tried to deny that Ellie was based on her? :p

Well... maybe they don't have any clout in this. I bet many of ND's fans
and believers of their desperate reasonings :p
will throw a tantrum over it, though.

I agree with Chloë Grace Moretz.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Use the same actors.

Make the entire movie CG with digital acting.

Naughty Dog could be the ones who show the movie industry how you really do digital acting, after the travesties that were Beowulf and Polar Express.

By the way. If this is real and happens, it also guarantees a PS4 port, since about the time the movie is done they can also have the game available for sale as a way to promote the PS4 to people impressed by the movie (assuming it's good).

Top Bottom