• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: New Previews

Loudninja

Some of the negative previews have got me worried. The fact that listening mode wasn't toned down seems like a boneheaded decision, and the gunplay complaints are worrisome.
Listen mode can be turn off,and you can upgrade Joel aiming and his guns.

People this is not Uncharted.

Some of the negative previews have got me worried. The fact that listening mode wasn't toned down seems like a boneheaded decision, and the gunplay complaints are worrisome.

The Listen Mode can be disabled in a menu. So I don't see why that's an issue now. A person that played it earlier in the thread said that he played through the demo initially without even using it because he didn't know it was there. So the game wasn't designed for it be used like some games with that feature.

the game looked perfect last e3. Awesome gun play, no bullshit listening mechanic. Stupid naughty dog

oh well I hope the final game holds up to that showing.

Tagg9

the game looked perfect last e3. Awesome gun play, no bullshit listening mechanic. Stupid naughty dog

I doubt they set out to make the game worse. They clearly thought Listen Mode was necessary for balancing the difficulty. And I don't believe the aiming is much different.

Loudninja

New Game plus confirmed again:
In addition to item crafting, players can find tools, supplements, and other resources that can permanently upgrade Joel and his equipment. Supplements can steady his aim or increase his health. Tool kits and constituent parts can be used to create extra weapon holsters or improve the damage of weapons. I didn’t have an opportunity to dive deep into these systems, but Naughty Dog says players can carry their upgrades and gear over into a new game-plus.
My path through Lincoln was just one route among a variety of options. Depending on your playstyle you could aggressively clear out the infected or sneak past them all. Upgrading Joel and his equipment is also influenced by your tastes. Do you want to invest resources into melee combat or firearms? Naughty Dog has packed The Last of Us with tons of options while delivering an engaging yet bleak story of survival.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t.../naughty-dog-turns-our-world-upside-down.aspx

Am I missing something? Gunplay looks exactly the same as before.

One preview mentioned that the aiming felt loose. But we've since learned that you actually have the option to upgrade Joel's abilities, and one of those is weapon sway. So that greatly change how gunplay worked.

So these Supplements can help with your aim or health. I guess the aiming complaint by Videogamer.com can be fixed by those Supplements.

The listen mode is for the casual audience that needs its hands held throughout a play session. This mode is specifically for those people. Imagine the bad word of mouth, "this game is too fucking hard, fuck that shit" and sales suffering as a consequence. ND is trying to cater to us (people that want a challenging and immersive play through) and the audience at large. First and foremost they want to sell the game and create another multi million dollar franchise like Uncharted. Here's hoping they succeed.

Alienous

So these Supplements can help with your aim or health. I guess the aiming complaint by Videogamer.com can be fixed by those Supplements.

I'd really just prefer if, as I get better at aiming as a player, that would be enough. Not making the controls purposefully less responsive to artificially boost them...

iYz3CGiHnGOYz.gif

This is what I'm talkin bout!

Sleepy

So this game, hell most console games, was not even on my radar until I saw the commercial (I am a strictly handheld gamer). Now, I. MUST. PLAY. THIS. TITLE. This could be the title that gets me back to playing on consoles.

Heh. The previews read like it'll be a mixed set of reviews. Some will be glowing and some will be scathing.

At any rate, this game sounds incredible. To think it'll be out in less than a month... easily my most anticipated game. One thing I love about Naughty Dog is their attention to detail and the game seems full of little details. I often find myself exploring and seeking out little details when I play anything so this will certainly be fun.

The listen mode is for the casual audience that needs its hands held throughout a play session. This mode is specifically for those people. Imagine the bad word of mouth, "this game is too fucking hard, fuck that shit" and sales suffering as a consequence. ND is trying to cater to us (people that want a challenging and immersive play through) and the audience at large. First and foremost they want to sell the game and create another multi million dollar franchise like Uncharted. Here's hoping they succeed.

I think part of the problem is that it is enabled and on by default. It would've made more sense to leave it as an option that you could toggle on if you found the game to be too difficult or unforgiving.

Loudninja

Yeah I am going to be doing alot searching
It's this ability to collect things to make more things that urges you to spend a lot more time looking around for stuff than we probably would have otherwise. Along the way there are plenty of empty store fronts and houses, and the more brave wanderer may extend gameplay time by having a poke around. Be wary though, there are more than a few honest-to-goodness shock-inducing moments involved.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121...-explored-in-the-hottest-ps3-game-of-the-year

I really think RE4 is the best comparison.

8uA3OWY.gif

4-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

So glad ND listened to feedback. New UI looks so much better and hell yes for hardcore mode. Great work guys. Must buy for me but thats pretty much describes every ND game imo.

Am I allowed to give this a good ol' pimp, too: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013..._depression_in_the_last_of_us_bleak_new_world

The demo's really good. Tons of atmosphere. My only real disappointment is that bullets still don't have the impact you'd expect from a game of this ilk. A shot to the chest should be severely crippling a human hunter, but they still shrug it off Uncharted style.

Other than that, though, very impressive.

This is incredibly disappointing.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm on complete blackout, but has Rev3 (Sessler) put up a preview yet? Would love to hear what he says about it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
8uA3OWY.gif

4-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

So glad ND listened to feedback. New UI looks so much better and hell yes for hardcore mode. Great work guys. Must buy for me but thats pretty much describes every ND game imo.

It's missing one important (to me anyway) option.

Shoulder switching... whether it always reverts back to the same shoulder every time you aim, or it remembers what shoulder perspective you last used. Now the latter is what I've always preferred and what makes the most intuitive sense (and is the least clunky!) but what I learned from Uncharted feedback is how many people actually prefer the former.

It became somewhat of a divisive issue. And eventually Naughty Dog made it a toggle, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics.

Hopefully this game has both options, so everyone will be happy.

And in a perfect world, the latter option would also allow you to switch shoulders even when you weren't aiming, so that you could be aiming around a corner and then run to an opposite corner, and have switched during the move, so when you bring the gun up it's already oriented in the better position and you don't have to switch it (and lose that time or fumble with it). Maybe that is asking for too much.

But hopefully there's at least a toggle. Cause people will complain either way... as they did with Uncharted.

I don't understand what the problem is if people can totally turn Listen Mode off in the options. Much ado about nothing imo.

People could turn instinct off in Hitman Absolution, but that only made the game incredibly frustrating because the game was designed assuming players would use it. I assume that the same will apply to listen mode.

dummydecoy

Listen Wall Hack mode should just be automatically disabled for normal and harder difficulties and kept on for Ninja Dog players.
Glad for the option though.

Hopefully the PS4 rerelease will have shadows on everything (missing on the table, plant, etc.)

Sure hope this game doesn't suffer from Bioshockism where there's dozen of crap littered around every new area for you to click on, that's encouraged to do because the way the upgrade system is built.

Evolved1

People could turn instinct off in Hitman Absolution, but that only made the game incredibly frustrating because the game was designed assuming players would use it. I assume that the same will apply to listen mode.

I don't think it's a fair comparison... at all.

Instinct was a fundamental gameplay element in that remaining undetected was predicated on the ability to put your hand over your face and look away as you pass someone. Turing off instinct took this away completely. If turning off instinct only removed the instinct trails (that showed where guards would walk, or their position through walls) it would be a more apt comparison... but turing off instinct practically broke the damn game.

That's not what this is. It's just turning off an assist or possible crutch for the player, not a fundamentally game-breaking core mechanic.

Are there any games where the controls get tighter as you go through, representing the character's acclimatisation to their actions, without visual upgrades ala bar-filling and XP?

I played Hitman without instinct, and it enhanced the experience for me. I don't believe this game is designed to be used with listen mode, or else we would have seen that option in play from the jump. I think it's the other way around; focus testing showed some people cried like babies at the tension, so this was added.

Evolved1

Are there any games where the controls get tighter as you go through, representing the character's acclimatisation to their actions, without visual upgrades ala bar-filling and XP?

The aim will not get tighter on the analog... what will happen is that you have less weapon sway as you upgrade. It will be tighter in that way, and other games have done this, but it will not change analog settings, just as no other game in existence ever has.

Ugh. Why make a game so gritty and realistic looking and have bullet sponges?

Not reacting to every bullet is not the same thing as bullet sponge. If two bullets kills you, you are not a bullet sponge.

Journos are saying the enemies don't necessarily react to every shot, but we have video that they certainly have reactions to a variety of shots, and they die very quickly.

Bullet sponge is the wrong word. I'm suspicious of any one using the term in this context...

(edit: the late-stage infected can be bullet-spongy, but that's a design decision... that we've know about for weeks)

I don't think it's a fair comparison... at all.

Instinct was a fundamental gameplay element in that remaining undetected was predicated on the ability to put your hand over your face and look away as you pass someone. Turing off instinct took this away completely. If turning off instinct only removed the instinct trails (that showed where guards would walk, or their position through walls) it would be a more apt comparison... but turing off instinct practically broke the damn game.

That's not what this is. It's just turning off an assist or possible crutch for the player, not a fundamentally game-breaking core mechanic.

I played Hitman without instinct, and it enhanced the experience for me. I don't believe this game is designed to be used with listen mode, or else we would have seen that option in play from the jump. I think it's the other way around; focus testing showed some people cried like babies at the tension, so this was added.

Don't mind me, I always assume the worse to avoid disappointment.

Its difficult for me to find another developer who has had such an impact this generation as ND.

They know what they are doing, and they have pushed this gen to look beyond this gen.

Such talent over there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is what I'm talkin bout!

I distinctly remember seeing the pre-release screenshots of Uncharted 2's jungle areas and later being greatly disappointed with how profoundly small and restrictive they actually were -- there wasn't even a faint sense that you were exploring a part of something larger as the immediate surroundings were completely closed off. I expect such locations as seen in the gif will be similarly corridoresque.

Top Bottom