• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 has no shadows (Up: OPs eyes need checking)

images

.Pennywise

Banned
Happy new year!

On topic: so seeing at your answers the game in fact does look that flat.

To be honest I thought it was some kind of graphical issue. Since this is one of the best looking games ever I wasn't expecting to look so bland lighting wise.

I've might become spoiled by this last years with all the RTX stuff and this being a PS4 game it really shows.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Happy new year!

To be honest I thought it was some kind of graphical issue. Since this is one of the best looking games ever I wasn't expecting to look so bland lighting wise.

I've might become spoiled by this last years with all the RTX stuff and this being a PS4 game it really shows.
The game looks better than a good 95% of games on PC regardless of settings. You are out to lunch.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I know exactly what he means.

All the grass and filler objects do not have shadows beyond AO sometimes.
Any background object that moves usually doesn’t have a shadow unless it’s near a certain set piece light. Sometimes enemies don’t cast shadows unless near a certain set piece light.

but that’s nearly every game made these days. 🤷‍♂️

Ezekiel_

Banned
Well I said there are some shadows, but overall it looks flat, especially outdoors. The game would benefit greatly from some good GI.

Happy new year!

dumb and dumber harry GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Happy new year!

Delete your account.

Topher

Gold Member
to be fair i get what @Hendrick's is saying, i think...

some parts of the game do look flat. mostly it's during day time scenes. there are shadows of course but it could definitely do with improved Ambient Occlusion or Global Illumination.

it is a PS4 game though so it's to be expected. Maybe if we get a PS5 or PC port then i'd expect better AO and maybe even raytraced shadows/GI etc.

If someone wants to argue the game has last gen lighting.....well......yeah, no kidding. Most last gen games do. If that is what someone is saying is the definition of "flat".....err.....ok, I guess. Sounds like some made-up nonsense like "literally no shadows" to be honest.

Happy new year!

Stop It Roe V Wade GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Plot twist: OP was playing in one of the render modes like void mode or pop poster mode.

The first video shows that the game lacks SSAO. It has baked AO but that's it. That's probably what makes characters look so flat in many areas of the game.

What are shadow if not the blocking of light, and light is a word that can be use to imply enlightenment which TLo2 in fact lacks. So, no light, no shadows. OP is right.

peronmls

I think I see what OP is saying. I guess it lacks a bit of ambient occlusion on some environment if that's what you are looking at. Like the grass doesn't seem to make self shadows. You can set the gamma and brightness to help mask the flatness. That's what I do if a games overall image seems a bit washed-out or flat.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Happy new year!

the most ridiculously stupid take i've ever read lol

Imtjnotu

Happy new year!

Season 2 Smh GIF by HBO

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Happy new year!

Doubling down I see... I hate this game with a passion, It is for me, by far, the worst sequel to a videogame I liked ever and a case study of how to fuck up your fanbase (and possible sales) as much as famous cases like Last Jedi fucked up... BUT .. even I cant deny the technical marvel that ND studio is and how good this game looks for a PS4 game ... I probably wont play another cuckmans game ever but I sure know whem that game arrives It will be the top cream of graphical achievement

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The first video shows that the game lacks SSAO. It has baked AO but that's it. That's probably what makes characters look so flat in many areas of the game.
what? It doesn't need ssao. The lighting it all baked. It's so high quality, it would be very difficult to do in real time. More samples than metro exodus and so on.
BUT ssao might still be there... just not the shittiest kind that creates halos around objects.

OCASM

Banned
what? It doesn't need ssao. The lighting it all baked. It's so high quality, it would be very difficult to do in real time. More samples than metro exodus and so on.
BUT ssao might still be there... just not the shittiest kind that creates halos around objects.
Baked lighting is fine for the environments. The problem is the characters interacting with said environment (and with themselves). They look like they're floating. There's no SSAO of any kind. The lack of ambient occlusion (diffuse and specular) is the most noticeable downgrade after the "gameplay" reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

The game is mostly indirectly lit, unless under direct sunlight or flashlight. So I understand that most of the game the shadows are very soft or mostly contact shadows. But saying it has no shadows is fucking ignorant.

TonyK

A lot of levels take place during cloudy days, so, as in real life, direct shadows are very subtle, even nonexistent, and only ambient occlusion is visible. Again, as in real life. But in any sun lighted level or with artificial lights, shadows are clearly visible.

OCASM

Banned
A lot of levels take place during cloudy days, so, as in real life, direct shadows are very subtle, even nonexistent, and only ambient occlusion is visible. Again, as in real life. But in any sun lighted level or with artificial lights, shadows are clearly visible.
And it's precisely the lack of SSAO that makes characters in those environments look so flat, almost unlit in some cases.

Top Bottom