• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Freeman

Banned
Another topic where a lot of people seem to be hoping for the worst.

Its one of the most awarded games in history, voted by NeoGAF as 2013's Goty, one of the most successful new IPs released last gen, 1080p, 60fps, has a great multiplayer, includes a fantastic DLC, has a new difficulty mode and it was already stunning when it was ruining out of a PS3. Its great that the game is being re-released and more people are going to play it, masterpiece.

I still think it's more of an issue of getting something so insanely optimized for Cell working on x86/AMD which is the heart of the issue here.

The "two teams"-notion was dispelled a while back in a gameinformer interview. It's more like two main projects + extras. The staff moves readily back and forth depending on what's going on in development.

"EW: I don't think we ever declared ourselves as having reached the final end goal of two teams. We certainly have not, and we might have even changed that goal. We have multiple projects going. We never were able to fully staff two completely independent teams. At this point, I don't think we'll probably get there. We've got the Uncharted project, which we've talked about, we've got DLC for The Last of Us, and we've got the remastered version [of The Last of Us]. We've got other projects in the works that are in the very early stages. We have at least four different pretty significant things going on right now.

CB: We're trying to be as flexible as possible in terms of how we move people around. I think we've always had two main things going on, so that's where the "two teams" [concept] came from. It's like everything else we do here; you've got to learn as you go and adjust. [We're] sharing some resources more than what we thought we would because it's more practical and makes sense. That's where we're at now - learning.

EW: Sometimes, that sharing looks like somebody working on a project for six or twelve months and then switching to another project. Sometimes a department is actively working on two projects at once and is bouncing back and forth on a weekly or task-by-task basis. We figure it out as we go. That's how our production philosophies work at Naughty Dog. We try not to be dogmatic. If it's not working out the way we thought it would, we shift and try something else."

Regardless, it seems to be mainly tech people porting over the game to PS4 - hence why even guys like Druckmann had a tone of surprise about the game

Ethelwulf

Port beg? I don't care if it's ever released on another console. I only mentioned the PC because the game that's being released on the PS4 would have already run the same/better had the game been released on PC as well when it was originally released on the PS3.

And I don't give a shit if any of you think this is trolling, when it isn't. I never thought it was the best game ever released like many of you anyway. Once was enough for me. Some of you just lap up whatever a developer spoon feeds you because you want it so badly to be true.

Whats the problem with hyping a game/project you are proud of it? If I were part of ND, I would definitely be proud of porting a game and managing to make it look better. I don't agree with you here. Also, ND games are optimized for PS3 (not a commuter science guy here), so I don't see why on earth they spent more money and resources to first plan the PS4 version and then downgrade it to PS3. Thats improbable if you ask me.

More like: They created an awesome game for PS3 that rightfully sold good and sony saw a good opportunity to port it to PS4. It must be really rewarding to be a gaming programmer and manage to port a game with such allegedly good results.

Framerate is never finalized until very late in development. Resolution is generally locked earlier than that but both can and do improve throughout development.

Yep and truth be told things getting lock down becoming even more uncommon thanks to patches .
This gen we already had more stuff with patches for frame rate and res compare to the whole of last gen .

You seriously think that most current console games start out with lower resolutions and framerates and that the developers increase them as the project gets closer to completion? WTF? It's almost always the opposite.

...What are you even trying to say?

So you're telling me Naughty Dog spent four years developing a game for the PS4, when the majority of that time it was still in R&D, while they were also developing a new engine for UC4... which was just stable enough to get running little over nine months ago?

But because of sales Sony made them port the game over to the PS3... with a PS4 engine that wouldn't compile on the PS3 to sell more games, and then they will release the "true" game on the PS4?

Is this the general gist?

Port beg? I don't care if it's ever released on another console. I only mentioned the PC because the game that's being released on the PS4 would have already run the same/better had the game been released on PC as well when it was originally released on the PS3.

And I don't give a shit if any of you think this is trolling, when it isn't. I never thought it was the best game ever released like many of you anyway. Once was enough for me. Some of you just lap up whatever a developer spoon feeds you because you want it so badly to be true.

Show me on this doll where TLoU touched you.

Edit: Beaten before I even began =/

Talk about showing you true colours.

If once was enough for you, and never thought the game was all that anyway, and you dislike the way people "lap up" whatever ND are saying....then why are you here?

kyser73

This seems entirely disingenuous. "Remastered"? That assumes they are going back and working on their source material to enhance it, when in reality, with how relatively new the game is and with them knowing the PS4 was on its way, this is just more tweaking of the original code that was already better than what was on the PS3. The only reason it's not out and running flawless on a PC is because of the game being a Sony exclusive.

They knew it would sell bucketloads, so they decided to release it on the PS3 as well as the already planned PS4 (original) version. All the blurbs about "I can't believe how smooth it is at 60fps", "I can't go back to sub 60fps" and "I dream of 60fps" are ridiculous. People actually believe that shit? Like ND didn't know the difference between 120fps and sub 60fps until now?

Right...

So you think porting game code that was built from the ground up to make the most of the Cell and the PS3's idiosyncratic memory structure to was simply a question of 'tweaking' some code? You could justifiably say that about TR:DE but this is, by your definition, a true remaster - they've enhanced the source material.

R_Deckard

You seriously think that most current console games start out with lower resolutions and framerates and that the developers increase them as the project gets closer to completion? WTF? It's almost always the opposite.

COD:Ghosts/ ACIV just for recent examples say's hi!

You should just stop talking now as you are clearly talking a lot and saying nothing at all..must be the salty taste in your mouth!

So you think porting game code that was built from the ground up to make the most of the Cell and the PS3's idiosyncratic memory structure to was simply a question of 'tweaking' some code? You could justifiably say that about TR:DE but this is, by your definition, a true remaster - they've enhanced the source material.

I'm sure it was just 'Ctrl + R', "PS3"->"PS4", 5 mins tops.

jk

Jesus, came back to Factions on PS3 yesterday, when the hell did they add so many new perks and weapons? Seems a bit unfair to the players without season passes, imo... In any case, didn't do too bad for my first match back, but it makes me want to pick up the remaster to get in on the ground floor of the PS4 crowd.

Before, I didn't want to jump ship because my friends all have it on PS3, but nobody wants to freaking play with me. Screw them.

i've read that getting to 60 fps and porting the game in general was a huge team-effort because of the differences between the ps3 and ps4 architecture. So the tweets are nothing more than a sign of relief and happiness that they managed to achieve what they wanted.

seriously guys, stop being silly about this.

Danlord

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't wait to replay this game listening to the audio through my headphones. It has one of the best soundtracks of any game I've played and throughout my PS4 games library I do this as everything sounds so much clearer, the voice-acting is great and the audio cues with the clickers will make it even better.
I never got a chance to do Survivor mode after my first completion, but I really want to do it this time around now.

I also bought Left Behind DLC but never got the opportunity to play it so I can't wait for that too, and I never bothered with multiplayer but good for the community that will be remastered too.

i've read that getting to 60 fps and porting the game in general was a huge team-effort because of the differences between the ps3 and ps4 architecture. So the tweets are nothing more than a sign of relief and happiness that they managed to achieve what they wanted.

seriously guys, stop being silly about this.

Exactly this. I hate the way some people are acting like ND are falsely hyping it or something, and that the lack of gameplay reinforces, or validates, the claims that the hype tweets are "disingenuous".

This seems entirely disingenuous. "Remastered"? That assumes they are going back and working on their source material to enhance it, when in reality, with how relatively new the game is and with them knowing the PS4 was on its way, this is just more tweaking of the original code that was already better than what was on the PS3. The only reason it's not out and running flawless on a PC is because of the game being a Sony exclusive.

They knew it would sell bucketloads, so they decided to release it on the PS3 as well as the already planned PS4 (original) version. All the blurbs about "I can't believe how smooth it is at 60fps", "I can't go back to sub 60fps" and "I dream of 60fps" are ridiculous. People actually believe that shit? Like ND didn't know the difference between 120fps and sub 60fps until now?

Right...

This is one of the most amusing passive-aggressive port begs I've ever read.

OnMsbcC.png

They really should take advantage of the new 60fps capabilities on YouTube and get some gameplay footage out there.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Thats because youtube sucks. Look at MGSV demo on gamersyde... see it on your tv and its like you are playing the game. The quality is almost flawless. Certainly does the game all the justice (at least visually) it can be made.

Yes. But it would then be uploaded to YouTube and compressed all to hell. And that's where 90%+ people would see the video. And since YouTube videos don't do the game justice, ND would do themselves and possibly the sales of the game a disservice.

ethomaz

Banned
WTF happened to this thread? A lot of butt hurt without any real reason lol.

If you hate the game then just stay away from the thread.

Right...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

Poetazer

Neo Member
OK Gaffers, I'm going to do this..

I've been accumulating all of your communal wisdom here, and this is what I've gathered.

• You can create a US PSN account without a hitch on an EU PS4 console
  • You can then buy US PSN credit online
  • You can then use said credit to buy TLOU as a US Digital Purchase
  • With a bit of adjustment, but critically, you can then PLAY your US games from within your EU profile WITHOUT signing in seperately

So that, altogether, is brilliant. Thank you for helping others out with this. The only issue I've been waiting to hear on Naughty Dog for is the censorship. As an adult I deserve my exploding heads in MP too, and not to go all shy like the Germans. They still haven't stated which way the publishing will swing with Remastered on PS4.. so.. I'll buy US.

BUT WAIT

One and only one key question remains - can somebody doing this already please answer..

Q. So you have copies of US games in your EU profile, you're playing them, but can you play the online portion? I guess my question is, do you NEED PS PLUS activated on the US profile AS WELL as on the EU one? Does the US game know it's being played on a EU PS PLUS profile?

Thanks Greatly

i-dont-like-thing-ok.jpg

Surprised no-one's posted that already...

Foshy

I've been accumulating all of your communal wisdom here, and this is what I've gathered.

• With a bit of adjustment, but critically, you can then PLAY your US games from within your EU profile WITHOUT signing in seperately

So that, altogether, is brilliant. Thank you for helping others out with this. The only issue I've been waiting to hear on Naughty Dog for is the censorship. As an adult I deserve my exploding heads in MP too, and not to go all shy like the Germans. They still haven't stated which way the publishing will swing with Remastered on PS4.. so.. I'll buy US.

BUT WAIT

One and only one key question remains - can somebody doing this already please answer..

Q. So you have copies of US games in your EU profile, you're playing them, but can you play the online portion? I guess my question is, do you NEED PS PLUS activated on the US profile AS WELL as on the EU one? Does the US game know it's being played on a EU PS PLUS profile?

Thanks Greatly

As long as you've got one account with PS+ on your console, all accounts on that console are able to play online. And you can play the games bought on the US store on your EU account anyway.

Poetazer

Neo Member
As long as you've got one account with PS+ on your console, all accounts on that console are able to play online. And you can play the games bought on the US store on your EU account anyway.

Have you tried it Foshy? If that's for real then that's the final hurdle cleared, thanks so much and see you in Interrogation!

BUT WAIT

Thanks Greatly

yes, you just need 1 acc with +, yes. and works the other way around (EU games played with the US acc)

the only games you could find a problem is by the archaic japanese published games

Foshy

Have you tried it Foshy? If that's for real then that's the final hurdle cleared, thanks so much and see you in Interrogation!

Just to confirm again, I tried playing AC4 (EU) online with my US account (which does not have PS+ while my EU one does) and it works. No strange region lock of any kind in place here.

Poetazer

Neo Member
Amazing, cheers everyone.

Recommend following the above to anybody else who want the FULL MP experience unadulterated this time around..

darkwing

Just to confirm again, I tried playing AC4 (EU) online with my US account (which does not have PS+ while my EU one does) and it works. No strange region lock of any kind in place here.

as long as a primary account in the PS4 has PS+, that PS4 unit can go online

nnodley

Neo Member
It literally feels the same way waiting for this version as it did waiting for the ps3 release. Even though I can't experience the story for the first time again, I cannot wait for this to come out. 60fps is gonna feel amazing especially coming from sub 30 at times on ps3. IQ will be magnificent too.

Andrew.

Banned
Is censorship a big deal? It's just head pops, right? My stomach will appreciate less of those anyway.

I dunno man, personally I find seeing the skulls and brain pieces exploding into confetti bits and then scattering onto the floor accompanied with the sound of someone dropping a jar of Tic Tacs onto a hard surface a simple joy to behold, but hey thats the detail/sound production whore/sociopath in me.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I am definitely getting this game but I had a few questions that some of you may know the answers to.

1. I was told that the PS4 game uses the Cutscene models from the PS3 version but better is there any truth to that statement?

2. I also have heard that this games multiplayer is really good is there another game that could be used as a reference point?

3. How is the AI? I hear they have a new game difficulty that was originally removed because it was deemed to hard by playtesters but is being added back in. Is this true? If so that's pretty amazing.

Thanks

sajj316

They really should take advantage of the new 60fps capabilities on YouTube and get some gameplay footage out there.

I couldn't agree more on getting gameplay footage out there .. but I'd rather have them post a high quality video on their player (if one exists) or send it to Gamersyde. The game sells itself but against a PS3 version, you have to showcase the quality of 1080p/60fps.

nnodley

Neo Member
I am definitely getting this game but I had a few questions that some of you may know the answers to.

1. I was told that the PS4 game uses the Cutscene models from the PS3 version but better is there any truth to that statement?

2. I also have heard that this games multiplayer is really good is there another game that could be used as a reference point?

3. How is the AI? I hear they have a new game difficulty that was originally removed because it was deemed to hard by playtesters but is being added back in. Is this true? If so that's pretty amazing.

Thanks

1. Yes I believe the cutscenes are using the ps3 models, but they are already high quality so it won't matter. I believe they did add some more post processing effects in the cutscenes.

2. Not sure as haven't play the MP too much

3. I though the AI was amazing. I hope they tweaked the AI a little for the remaster. And yeah they have grounded mode which is supposed to much harder and you have to be more stealthy as I believe they take away you health and ammo counter.

Plasmids

Really really loved this game on ps3 but was sure I was done with the game after I got the platinum. But the closer the release date comes the more I feel like I really need this new version.

Is censorship a big deal? It's just head pops, right? My stomach will appreciate less of those anyway.

Well, I'm just glad I don't have those decisions made for me.

And I'm pretty sure there were options in the non-
FREEDOM
censored versions that included the option to tone down the gore.

Had this on PS3, but never played it and sold it the other day in preparation for this. A great game?

The best of the generation.

Top Bottom