• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's just bullshit.

There score stands out like a shit stain on the mona lisa.

It's obvious they scored it low for hits, and there going to get them.

Once again, fuck them. Hope they get black listed on GAF, and on Metacritic.

Have you even played the game? o_O

Jim Sterling ‏@JimSterling 8m
Today's #TheLastofUs 10/10 review was a joke, by the way. Real one coming tomorrow.

vp1xeC0.gif

Too late it doesn't matter. Metacritic already posted the score and they never accept an updated score.

DatDude

Banned
So I just ran the numbers using the data in the Metacritic's weighting system revealed.

The only single reviewer that had an impact on the game's score was GameSpot's score of an 80. If GameSpot had either just not reviewed the game at all, or had given it a 100 instead of an 80, we'd have a 96 metacritic.

This of course assumes that the model is 100% accurate, which I'm almost certain it isn't. But anyway

The 7.5 from polygon left no impact what so ever?

come on guys tlou has got plenty of praise...screw the review talk....anyone besides me impressed with that mp reveal on the blog? looked like gears of war with more melee options and crafting! Very methodical ..could have legs imo

arne

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think all at the studio deserve every bit of praise (and criticism) for working their asses off to make this game and to make it the way they/we all wanted it to turn out. I love TLOU, but then I am a key example of teh bias. ;)

That being said, let's care less about score and start discussing what people have said, on either end of the spectrum. I'm more interested in that, now that I'm posting!

Andrew.

Banned
Oh jesus christ guys. Sterling is fucking around.

Im sure Polygons score was just a ploy to get turn this thread into a complete shitbox as well.

m-night-shyamalan_1334621413.jpg

I seriously hope the review complaining stays out of the OT and we can focus on what makes this game similar to Citizen Kane, Chinatown, Godot, Meet the Parents and all that shit.

And congrats Arne. Your demo is going to give me the most immense blue balls for the next 9 days.

antitrop

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think all at the studio deserve every bit of praise (and criticism) for working their asses off to make this game and to make it the way they/we all wanted it to turn out. I love TLOU, but then I am a key example of teh bias. ;)

That being said, let's care less about score and start discussing what people have said, on either end of the spectrum. I'm more interested in that, now that I'm posting!

Congratulations to the entire team!

I absolutely cannot wait to play this game next week, it's been my most anticipated since E3 last year and I'm not the type to get hyped more than a week or two before a game is released. I'm also not an Uncharted fan (I don't dislike it, I'm just apathetic!), if that says anything about this.

ACE 1991

Buy this and Redbox Infinite, the latter can be beat in one sitting.

Congratulations guys! So glad to see that not everything from my childhood has changed, ND is still the best studio around.

I've been trying to get your game early all day today :p

Hm, I actually didn't consider renting either game. My only gaming platform is PC (but my parents have a PS3 for streaming and bluray) so I'll definitely pick up Bioshock there, but renting TLoU seems like a good call.

Really, who cares about the Polygon review? I must admit when I saw it was them who gave it a lower score I wasn't what you'd call surprised, but when about 66% of all reviews thus far are perfect scores does it really matter?

Vire

I say an updated tag on GAF is in order. ;)

Thanks for running the numbers guys. You can't deny the rampant pro-Microsoft bias at Polygon, which we've long suspected since we found out the source of their "documentary" funding.

This thread alone probably gave Polygon more hits than anything else this year, so there's that.

Also, this thread has a lot of views, I think TLoU will be quite a nice seller for ND!

wrowa

Too late it doesn't matter. Metacritic already posted the score and they never accept an updated score.

Despite Sterling clearly joking, what's the point of reviews if you aren't interested in opinions but only care for your precious metascore?

People on these boards love to hate on Metacritic and gaming journalism, but then there's always these kind of threads which are part of the reason this part of the biz is just so stupid and borderline meaningless.

Artex

Banned

Heed this man.

The 7.5 from polygon left no impact what so ever?

It was kind of difficult to measure, because the weighting systems revealed thread didn't show a weight for polygon. What does that mean? It could mean Metacritic completely ignores Polygon reviews. But in reality it probably means that we just don't know what Polygon's score is. So I tried with various values of the weight for Polygon, and obviously the score lowered, but not enough to drop it a whole point. The reason was the score was closer to going up than it was to going down, based on the fractional value.

That being said, it didn't match up perfectly with Metacritic's 95, I think i was showing 96.3 or something like. So the model obviously isn't correct, but either way the point is that with such a large number of reviews, even a score as low as 75 probably won't affect the final score.

Definity

I really need it to be the 14th! I read the Sterling review and that was it...and 15 hours to complete the game? The way I play a game that means 20+ hours!!!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been vocal/critical of certain elements of the game... but I have a feeling SP is going to be the cat's pajamas. Nice that the reviews are mostly positive and there's a good buzz that the game is solid front to back.

Congrats ND.

Did any of the reviews mention if the combat arenas are well disguised? I really didn;t like the bits in Uncharted where you'd see an area full of chest-high walls and you just knew that after crossing the invisible line you'd spend the next 5 minutes fighting off waves of enemies

Holy shit, Edge and Eurogamer gave it a 10/10? What world is this?
And IGN....I was pretty shocked as well...

ND really flexing there muscle it seems...

But still hyped games usually gets a lot of great reviews, still doesn't have much impact on how I will personally enjoy the game. But will definitely check it out.

I cant believe that they didn't do jack shit with the MP hype.

It may not be great, though I do think it looks good, but like... what the hell happened? Clearly something must have went wrong, because I can't imagine they wanted to reveal it so sloppily.

I don't mean to hark on it, but I'm genuinely curious.

It was kind of difficult to measure, because the weighting systems revealed thread didn't show a weight for polygon. What does that mean? It could mean Metacritic completely ignores Polygon reviews. But in reality it probably means that we just don't know what Polygon's score is. So I tried with various values of the weight for Polygon, and obviously the score lowered, but not enough to drop it a whole point. The reason was the score was closer to going up than it was to going down, based on the fractional value.

That being said, it didn't match up perfectly with Metacritic's 95, I think i was showing 96.3 or something like. So the model obviously isn't correct, but either way the point is that with such a large number of reviews, even a score as low as 75 probably won't affect the final score.

Speaking of which, the metacritic just bumped up to a 96!!

iNvid02

if you can talk about multiplayer, what was the reasoning behind not including the infected in mp mode? they seem to be a crucial part of the story, i think they would have added an interesting dynamic and further distinguished tlou mp from that of uncharted's

antitrop

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 2m
if you need to tell someone that their work doesn't matter to you, unsolicited, then it actually does. you should maybe look into that.

He's actually completely right.

Destructoid Review said:
Of course, players can try their luck at simply blasting away the opposition, though ammunition is never plentiful and enemies soak up a lot of damage. The Last of Us' one big similarity with Uncharted, and by far its biggest drawback, is the nonsensical durability of enemies, where basic humans can often survive up to three point-blank headshots with all but the most deadly of weapons. Joel's weapon sway and the bullet restrictions make it clear that a guns blazing approach isn't preferable, but for those moments where combat is necessary, it would have been more sensible to not have every mook be a miniature Tony Montana. Seeing a man take a bullet to the face and get back up breaks the otherwise laudable believability of the game's world, after all.

Ehhhhhh. Between this and similar things said during that last major round of previews, I'm toning my hype down a bit. Depending on how much these "super-humans" rear their head, this could be a big annoyance for me. And considering how little the high reviews of Uncharted 3 spoke on the same issue, I'm inclined to believe it's still a problem in The Last of Us.

Vire

Eurogamer Sweden 10/10

This one bumped it up to 96.

With The Last of Us, developer Naughty Dog has not only created a modern classic, but also one of the finest gaming experiences of all time. The fact that they set a new bar for interactive storytelling almost seems like a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom