• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew.

Banned
head shots are one hit kill, seen it on a walkthrough

Sterling:

The Last of Us' one big similarity with Uncharted, and by far its biggest drawback, is the nonsensical durability of enemies, where basic humans can often survive up to three point-blank headshots with all but the most deadly of weapons. Joel's weapon sway and the bullet restrictions make it clear that a guns blazing approach isn't preferable, but for those moments where combat is necessary, it would have been more sensible to not have every mook be a miniature Tony Montana. Seeing a man take a bullet to the face and get back up breaks the otherwise laudable believability of the game's world, after all.

Boss Man

Okay folks, because I hate myself I ran the numbers.

I looked through the reviews for all PS3 and 360 exclusives and compared the Metacritic to the Polygon reviews. I don't think I missed any but it's possible.

PS3:
Last of Us
Deadly Premonition DC
God of War Ascension
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
LBP Karting
Ni No Kuni
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault
Starhawk
Guacamelee

Metacritic PS3 Average: 78.11
Polygon PS3 Average: 68.89
Difference: -9.22
Conclusion: Polygon rates PS3 exclusives lower than the average critic by 9.22 points on a 100 point scale.

360:
Gears of War Judgment
Halo 4
Witcher 2
Dance Central 3
Forza Horizon
Fable Journey
Steel Battalion
Kinect Star Wars

Metacritic 360 Average: 72.38
Polygon 360 Average: 61.88
Difference: -10.5
Conclusion: Polygon rates 360 games 10.5 points lower than the average critic on a 100 point scale.

Remove Kinect games from the equation and the Polygon 360 average is -8.5, which may indicate a slightly less negative bias toward 360 exclusives. However, this is based on only 4 scores, and that makes the estimated average a lot less precise. I would guess that a statistical test would reveal no significant difference between 8.5 and 9.2 based on this small number of observations.

Conclusion: Polygon scores both PS3 and 360 games lower than the Metacritic average. They score 360 games slightly lower, though probably not significantly so. In other words, NOT TEH BIAS.

Use this info however you see fit.
Huh, nice work.

MYE

Yup, and it's pretty damn depressing.

Infinite was fun to play. It doesnt need to have a million things for you to manage and hundreds of different mechanics to be engrossing from a gameplay perspective.
And if the presentation and story elevate the more "modest" mechanics, what is the problem here?

Its not like gameplay masterpieces such as Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 and Portal 2 dont populate Top 10 rankings. Let Infinite be :p

antitrop

If my plans with friends fall through tomorrow (and they probably will, of course) I'm going to make good on that promise to play Uncharted 2 for the first time.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
If my plans with friends fall through tomorrow (and they probably will, of course) I'm going to make good on that promise to play Uncharted 2 for the first time.

Wtf man? play this ASAP it's one of the best games of this gen, so freakin good.

and after UC2, start UC3. both amazing games!

antitrop

Wtf man? play this ASAP it's one of the best games of this gen, so freakin good.

As I said earlier in the thread, I bought it at release having finished Uncharted 1, but stopped playing it about 3 hours in. Not because I didn't like it, but for plenty of other reasons.

I'm gonna grab this day 1 for sure. I was already very interested, and the reviews seem overwheingly positive.

I was thinking of downloading it on PSN- I have about $ 40 worth of credit so that's cool. I've never preordered a game on PSN before- how does it work? Does it pre-download and then unlock on release day like Steam, or do you have to download the whole thing when it gets released?

NA or EU? If it's NA, the PSN store currently does not have the ability to preload the game. The game will publish on the PSN store at 6/14 midnight (I think PDT) and you can start playing the game once you download about half of the game. It is around 28 GB.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 2m
if you need to tell someone that their work doesn't matter to you, unsolicited, then it actually does. you should maybe look into that.

He's actually completely right.

their review wont matter to the last of us.............

to us it shows what polygon is. they are the worst score on one of the best reviewed titles of the gen.(maybe some random blog go lower after a week) if it doesn't flop commercially who is going to look dumb?
polygon "haters" or polygon?lets hope it sells.

Andrew.

Banned
As I said earlier in the thread, I bought it at release after finishing Uncharted but stopped playing it about 3 hours in. Not because I didn't like it, but for plenty of other reasons.

Well hopefully you're in a better frame of mind this time around dude. That game is something else.

antitrop

Well hopefully you're in a better frame of mind this time around dude. That game is something else.
Actually... I do have nothing but free time for the rest of the night.

Think I'll pack a bowl and throw in Uncharted 2 for an hour or two. I'll just delete my old save and start from the beginning, though.

H2Yo

Your joking right? Right?! If so that would destroy most if not all their credibility for me. Especially considering how poorly Remember Me has been received recently.

And broken Sim City is better than Forza Horizon apparently.

FACE

Banned
A bunch of last gen games accidentally got mixed in there somehow.

Yeah, it's either one console or everything.

Infinite was fun to play. It doesnt need to have a million things for you to manage and hundreds of different mechanics, to be engrossing from a gameplay perspective.

And if the presentation and story elevate the more "modest" gameplay mechanics, what is the problem here?

Its not like gameplay masterpieces such as Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 and Portal 2 dont populate Top 10 rankings. Let Infinite be :p

I agree, but it needs more than hours of shooting galleries and a few terrible boss battles.

About that...

breakfuss

As big of an outlier as Polygon appears to be at the moment, I have to say I agreed with their Ni No Kuni review. They were one of only few willing to call that game out for its shallowness. So, who knows.

NA or EU? If it's NA, the PSN store currently does not have the ability to preload the game. The game will publish on the PSN store at 6/14 midnight (I think PDT) and you can start playing the game once you download about half of the game. It is around 28 GB.

Thanks! Guess I'll have to delete Ni No Kuni off my hard drive for the time being to make room.

antitrop

What the fucking fuck?

For real? How did you pass on it?

I've owned it since the day it came out, but there was A LOT of other shit coming out at that time and I was super busy transitioning out of the military back to civilian life right around the time that game came out.

Just got lost amongst the clutter and never went back to it for some reason. I'm sure it deserves my attention and playthrough.

I liked Uncharted 1 very much but I don't consider myself a fan of the franchise.

I think it will provide you with a deep enough emotional response to compensate the very shallow gameplay. Enjoy the ride!

Vire

Now I know why the Polygon reviewer didn't like it.

http://youtu.be/rGQqsF0Tb1Q?t=1m58s

Watch this part. He simply sucks at the game, I don't mean that as an insult, just watching him shoot is painful.

This isn't a run and gun game, and he's clearly moving all over the place when taking shots. You are supposed to stand still, catch your breath (the reticule will minimize) and then take your shot.

So the consensus is that the game should be played with headphones?

Any suggestions?

yea apparently, listening mode off and a good sound system is a must to so you can hear the enemies.

I want to grab a pair of pulse ellite, but i want to know if they are compatible with PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom