• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
The demo.

wouldn't have thought the game play would change in full game.

I don't see how you can tell me the game play mechanics are fine if you haven't played the whole game. Bad shooting might be fine if there are two firefights, less fine if there are twenty.

There is a demo you could play you know.

I have. I'm not in the habit of assessing a game based on two levels.

DatDude

Banned
I don't see how you can tell me the game play mechanics are fine if you haven't played the whole game. Bad shooting might be fine if there are two firefights, less fine if there are twenty.

Well considering you normally have only 2-3 bullets to play around with, than I don't see why it should mater?

This isn't resident evil 4 that requires you to go gun-ablazin'. It's a game that requires you to be methodical, stealthy, and patient. Your going to be spending much more time crafting traps and luring enemies, rather than going pew, pew, pew.

Shooting is only your very last resort.

Soler

Banned
Damn lol. Funny thing is, my username is based off of Winback which was the first game with the cover system that kill.switch used which influenced Gears of War. So yeah, Gears didn't pioneer anything.
Every game is influenced by another game In some shape or form

I like the Sess, but damn sometimes his reviews sound like a professional introspection into philosophical aspects of subconsciousness or some shit. I feel like he analyzes games WAY too much, IMO.

antitrop

I like the Sess, but damn sometimes his reviews sound like a professional introspection into philosophical aspects of subconsciousness or some shit. I feel like he analyzes games WAY too much, IMO.

You would appreciate it more if you regularly read academic zombie essays.

If he doesn't who else is going to?

It's a good thing to have guys like The Sess around even if you think he overdoes it sometimes.

Pranay

hope its ends up like uncharted 2 thread rather then infinte.

Anyways guy some nice OT title suggestion.

Would prefer a serious one in reference to the game

If he doesn't who else is going to?

It's a good thing to have guys like The Sess around even if you think he overdoes it sometimes.

I don't know, I'm just saying personally I don't even care of why he thinks zombies might have this effect on real life society or what happened in the 60s or this 'calibration' of some thing and I don't know what...just tell me what's fun and what's not in the game.

I still haven't made it past 3 hours in because the gameplay is pretty generic. The atmosphere and intro is amazing but I just feel no desire to continue. Is the pay-off worth the grind?

I don't even understand how anyone could ever call the gameplay in infinite "generic". There is literally nothing else like it save bioshock 1 and 2 and gameplay wise it craps on both.

IupBundle

Neo Member
The survival aspect is what looks great. I hope it's somewhat difficult to survive though, not just a "you're thirsty" type thing. But, this seems much more like a horror-survival than anything so I might want to get prepped for that. Will probably still buy it though.

So in 2 weeks is everybody going to backpedal on this like they did with Bioshock Infinite

'Everybody' huh? I'm so sick of these types of comments. This whole backlash mentality is just annoying now. Yeah Infinite got some backlash, but tons of people still love it. Who cares?

Hell, some people don't like Resident Evil 4. Still doesn't mean it’s a bad game or doesn't deserve all the praise it got. Comments like yours only fuel stupidity. It really needs to stop......

graywolf323

I still haven't made it past 3 hours in because the gameplay is pretty generic. The atmosphere and intro is amazing but I just feel no desire to continue. Is the pay-off worth the grind?

I fell off before even reaching Elizabeth >_< I really need to get back to that game

Dresden

Infinite's combat is so fast and fluid compared to the previous Bioshocks. Needed more open spaces, though; that was when the system shone.

Infinite's combat is so fast and fluid compared to the previous Bioshocks. Needed more open spaces, though; that was when the system shone.

yeah it shits on the previous bioshock games for gameplay.

atmosphere is debatable although i'd say infinite wins in that aspect too.

Shayan

Banned
So in 2 weeks is everybody going to backpedal on this like they did with Bioshock Infinite

UC2 is easily this gen's greatest game. I can tell you that this TLOU will win GAF's 2013 GOTY award ,and will either match or exceed UC2's record of 150 GOTY awards :)

antitrop

It's crazy to think we're in a year where Bioshock Infinite has a legitimate chance of not winning GOTY.

I think it's going to be a clean sweep for Last of Us in December.

I don't know, I'm just saying personally I don't even care of why he thinks zombies might have this effect on real life society or what happened in the 60s or this 'calibration' of some thing and I don't know what...just tell me what's fun and what's not in the game.

I feel like he did a fine job of explaining what he liked and didn't like about the game up to that point, but he decided to add a little more towards the end for you to chew on if you so desired. Considering how little reviews actually go in depth with the game's mechanics, I can't complain if journalists experiment with putting a little more meat on the bones of their criticism the way he tries to.

All this talk of GOTY between Bioshock and The Last Of Us....I can't even get into that before GTAV comes out. That game appeals WAY more to my personal interests in fiction, the way the guns will handle, the tone of the narrative, the look of the game, etc., Even if TLoU or BI end up being tighter experiences, I have a feeling I'll enjoy GTA more anyway.

Gadirok

Maybe the score of polygon review go up until the release date. Your score is flexible.

Honestly if they are going to release a score they should just stick with it rather than making half-assed changes later on because their audience told them to.

Yes, SimCity's review was just.... I don't even know what to say, but the fact that they changed it after makes them look unprofessional for publishing that first review the way they did, and gets into the whole idea of reviewing games when they are published before patches and dlcs.

DRM is a completely separate issue though. If Polygon's opinion of this game is a 7.5, then stick with it, but give good reasoning to why it deserves that score.

Eusis

I hope not. The Infinite backlash makes me sad.
Well, for me it was a matter of Bioshock Infinite not being what I wanted most (an RPG-lite shooter that's more adventure/exploration focused and not about just racking up massive body counts), but Last of Us doesn't have that sort of series attachment, at worst they're coming off of Uncharted... which had more of a combat focus than I'd have liked, but it's to be expected from them, doubly reinforced by the setting and first CGI trailer.

No, what's already putting me off more than anything else is hearing how damn resilient enemies are. That frustrated me with Uncharted, and will frustrate me here, so I'm probably just playing on Easy whenever I get it.
The IGN review of Jade Empire is my most hated review of all time.
As much as we talk about games being vastly overrated, this is probably one of those the most guilty of it ever just from that one review. Though I guess it has its sister in the form of the DAII PC Gamer review.

Gadirok

It's crazy to think we're in a year where Bioshock Infinite has a legitimate chance of not winning GOTY.

I think it's going to be a clean sweep for Last of Us in December.

I doubt it, we still have a few more major releases for the rest of the year. I doubt GTA V will come close to GTA 4 score levels, but I never imagined TLoU going this high either so you never know.

But if you based it on a metacritic average (that's still changing) TLoU is in a good position for winning multiple GOTY awards but the most is arguable.

Josh7289

Reading that Polygon review, I tell ya, what I disliked most about Uncharted was the gunplay, both in terms of game mechanics and in how disjointed it felt from the rest of the 'experience'. If The Last of Us is the same in that regard, =/

It seems the more games try to directly mimic reality, the easier it is to shatter the illusion of reality those same games try to create. When the rest of a game tries to be so realistic in its narrative and characterization, and then suddenly I'm killing waves of other human beings (!), that pulls me right out of the narrative and all I'm left with is another dumb shooter. (I guess I'm alluding to Uncharted here more than anything though; like most of us I haven't actually played The Last of Us yet)

jtb

Banned
The IGN review of Jade Empire is my most hated review of all time.

ugh you and me both. honestly, that review (and then subsequently playing the game) was the moment I should have realized BioWare was a one trick pony that was struggling to even properly remember its only trick.

Satchel

Banned

I have. I'm not in the habit of assessing a game based on two levels.

Fair enough.

Different idea on what constitutes game play mechanics then.

I get your point though. I'm working under the assumption that there won't be many gangbang shootout situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom