• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
i thought this game was uncharted with zombies (aka another hand holding "cinematic" bore), so i didnt cared about it, but the scores are crazy! the highest rated current gen game?

it sounds more like a RE/SH type of adventure, i wondered why the great scores?

Wow so I was playing the demo again last night and was screwing around. I started to sprint at the infected with my pipe and BAM! Joel straight up Happy Gilmores the dudes head to pieces. I was like :O. So frickin awesome how many contextual animations there are.

Varth

It's 24GB

You sure? Someone posted a PS Store screen that mentioned 35GB

Yes, obviously. It's a "show off all the perfect scores" poster.

Dunno if it's relevant, but I scored it 5/5 too. 97/100 for print version, though.

Art direction and soundtrack awards among others.

+
Outstanding, hard and uncompromising story
Amazing soundtrack and sound design
Visceral, intense combat

-
Development is a tad slow, some repetitive mechanics
Design lessens the impact of graphics
Italian dub is a mess

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wait till after E3. Rumours are they're going to announce a price drop.
Shame I live in Argentina, where price drops in the civilized world means that local prices will actually go up.

It costs more than $400 still, for fuck's sake!

sonicmj1

While I completely agree personal tastes should be respected Polygon's reviews have been so far off from 99% of other reviews and people's impressions something seems off.

This is exactly what people were saying when Gamespot gave Twilight Princess an 8.8.

No game is universally loved. Reviews should be expected to reflect the gamut of human opinion, instead of conforming to some single score based on a reviewing hivemind.

Fistwell

Is this gonna be on Steam?
image.php

Funny guy.

This could be GOTG. Has there ever been a dev that has had two GOTG candidates (this gen)?

EAD made SMG and SMG2 but ND one upped them imo by receiving the same critical reception but with two new IP's.

Adam Blue

Thats what i think of that sessler guy, in his bioshock infinite review he spends most of the time saying fancy words about the game, about religion and politics and all that crap, and how that makes it an awesome game, like if it was a painting or something... and of course most people love that thing it makes the game feel important, but i think that kind of reviews just suck. Pls someone post a quote of his review, its just hilarious how much time he spends talking about how beautiful and how artistic the game is... Who cares about that.

Sometimes, though, that can make the game.

There are countless situations in which a gamer is enjoying a game because of a certain factor that interests them outside of what the core game is. (I touched on this in the girl rescuing thread).

I put 40 hours into Aliens: Colonial Marines because I've fucking loved that movie my whole life. I was able to look over the bland graphics and story just knowing I'm in recreated areas from the movie surrounded by the same sound effects. I felt like I was visiting a place from my child hood.

So, Sessler could be an appreciator of art - and he appreciates how artistic the game is. That is a completely valid reason for his score, and he explained that. He did his job as a reviewer.

We aren't robots, all expecting to like the same things for the same reason. A bad review is if the score isn't justified through explanation.

Solal

I wanna buy the season pass but I don't want the cheats that come with it. Does someone know if the pass automatically unleashes the cheats? that would suck...

i thought this game was uncharted with zombies (aka another hand holding "cinematic" bore), so i didnt cared about it, but the scores are crazy! the highest rated current gen game?

it sounds more like a RE/SH type of adventure, i wondered why the great scores?

Cause it's a good game. Try the demo and see for yourself?

Zakalwe

Banned
I just want a true and good Walking Dead like experience and it look like I'll finally get that with this game (Telltale's TWD interactive comic has bad storytelling and zero gameplay and TWD Survival Instinct was completely broken)

I can understand people not liking the way the game plays, but "bad story telling" I just don't get.

Anyway, my roomate has a PS3 that he barely uses. Can't wait for this.

JoduanER2

Sometimes, though, that can make the game.

There are countless situations in which a gamer is enjoying a game because of a certain factor that interests them outside of what the core game is. (I touched on this in the girl rescuing thread).

I put 40 hours into Aliens: Colonial Marines because I've fucking loved that movie my whole life. I was able to look over the bland graphics and story just knowing I'm in recreated areas from the movie surrounded by the same sound effects. I felt like I was visiting a place from my child hood.

So, Sessler could be an appreciator of art - and he appreciates how artistic the game is. That is a completely valid reason for his score, and he explained that. He did his job as a reviewer.

We aren't robots, all expecting to like the same things for the same reason. A bad review is if the score isn't justified through explanation.

Ok a game can function as a piece of art like in the case of journey, but it cant in the case of bioshock infinite being an FPS where you are shooting things most of the time, art and phylosophical thematics cant be the main focus in this case therefore his review touches all the wrong points

GeeDuhb

I'm not complaining. I just find it interesting. When was the last time a AAA game came out in the U.S. on a Friday for XBox and/or PS3?

Honestly, and maybe I am totally wrong, but I kinda feel it has to do with E3 being next week, too. I think you would be crazy to release a game on Tuesday of E3 week, no? Coincidence that E3 ends Thursday and this game comes out Friday? I THINK NOT!

My week next week is going to be so amazing though...I get to go to E3 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and then come home from work on Friday and play the crap outta this amazing game all weekend! The anticipation is killing me...

hlhbk

Thats what i think of that sessler guy, in his bioshock infinite review he spends most of the time saying fancy words about the game, about religion and politics and all that crap, and how that makes it an awesome game, like if it was a painting or something... and of course most people love that thing it makes the game feel important, but i think that kind of reviews just suck. Pls someone post a quote of his review, its just hilarious how much time he spends talking about how beautiful and how artistic the game is... Who cares about that.

Um a shit load of people and myself included?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I haven't looked at reviews seriously since I was in high school, but I admit, when I see a traditionally harsh, overly-critical, nitpicky publication like Edge or Eurogamer give a game a 10/10, I have to say my ears do perk up.

One of the things that I've seen in this thread that I do find disconcerting, is the amount of people that were like, "I had no interest in this game, but the scores and reviews have me sold!"

I find that type of thinking dangerous for the industry as a whole. I buy games because I'm interested in them. If they review well, ok, that's nice, but at the end of the day, my enjoyment of the game is what matters the most. The Call of Duty and Gears of War games consistently review well, but I'm simply not interested in those series, despite what reviews are telling me (that the games are awesome and I should love them).

On a side note, some of my favorite games haven't reviewed very well at all (Second Sight, Shadow of Destiny, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc), and had I looked at reviews as my metric for buying them, I'd have missed out on some great games.

In my opinion, if The Last of Us didn't interest you by this point, I just can't see how a bunch of 10's would change your mind. The game is still the same game we saw when it was revealed. If the premise didn't grab you then, why would it grab you now? To me, this seems like a recipe for disappointment. Then we'll get a bunch of "Man, gaf hype failed me again!" posts in the future.

This isn't an accusation or a criticism, just an observation. Yes, hype is in full swing, but if The Last of Us wasn't your thing for the past year since its reveal, I just can't see how that would change. At the least, maybe try and play it before you rush out and spend $60+ (or whatever your country's currency is) on a game based purely on how excited a large portion of gaf gets for it.

My god, I'd have thousands of games if I bought them based purely on early hype.

I wanna buy the season pass but I don't want the cheats that come with it. Does someone know if the pass automatically unleashes the cheats? that would suck...
I bought the season pass and it does download a 100kb file that is the bonus day 1 upgrade for the single player but you can cancel the download or go in your game data utility section and delete the file once you've downloaded it.

GeeDuhb

I haven't looked at reviews seriously since I was in high school, but I admit, when I see a traditionally harsh, overly-critical, nitpicky publication like Edge or Eurogamer give a game a 10/10, I have to say my ears do perk up.

One of the things that I've seen in this thread that I do find disconcerting, is the amount of people that were like, "I had no interest in this game, but the scores and reviews have me sold!"

I find that type of thinking dangerous for the industry as a whole. I buy games because I'm interested in them. If they review well, ok, that's nice, but at the end of the day, my enjoyment of the game is what matters the most. The Call of Duty and Gears of War games consistently review well, but I'm simply not interested in those series, despite what reviews are telling me (that the games are awesome and I should love them).

On a side note, some of my favorite games haven't reviewed very well at all (Second Sight, Shadow of Destiny, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc), and had I looked at reviews as my metric for buying them, I'd have missed out on some great games.

In my opinion, if The Last of Us didn't interest you by this point, I just can't see how a bunch of 10's would change your mind. The game is still the same game we saw when it was revealed. If the premise didn't grab you then, why would it grab you now? To me, this seems like a recipe for disappointment. Then we'll get a bunch of "Man, gaf hype failed me again!" posts in the future.

This isn't an accusation or a criticism, just an observation. Yes, hype is in full swing, but if The Last of Us wasn't your thing for the past year since its reveal, I just can't see how that would change. At the least, maybe try and play it before you rush out and spend $60+ (or whatever your country's currency is) on a game based purely on how excited a large portion of gaf gets for it.

My god, I'd have thousands of games if I bought them based purely on early hype.

That's a really good point. I think what a lot of people fail to realize that a score of 10 doesn't mean that everyone is going to love the game. You have to consider your taste in games and apply the 10 to it. For example, I am not really an RPG guy. Never have been, probably never will be. Even if an RPG got a 10, I am almost sure I am not going to like it. Heck, I know Fallout 3 was an Action-RPG, but still, I got it because of all the amazing things said about it, and I never got into it at all.

In the end, just because someone says Sushi is the most amazing food in the world, doesn't mean I am going to put it NEAR my mouth.

With that said, my hype level for this game is through the roof, thanks to the reviews. Don't get me wrong, I was excited before, because the Uncharted games have justified my purchase of a PS3, so I was banking on another Naughty Dog gem. But now I am just ecstatic!

I don't know ANYTHING about this game. I purposely avoided everything after the initial trailer because I wanted to go in completely unknown. Watched too much media on Uncharted 2 and 3 so wanted to avoid that with this. Really don't know much about it at all! :) Not reading any reviews either haha!

Andrew.

Banned
Ill probably just say fuck it and grab the Season Pass on the 14th. I dont mind the upgrades, I dont consider it cheating and Im sure they'll be helpful during that initial Hard run.

The golden weapon skins, and additonal Vigors and Infusions helped a ton during 1999 mode in Infinite.

antitrop

What I want to say is this is the best written game I've ever played, the game with the best central performances I've ever seen. I want to say that, even if you've been playing videogames for your whole life, for 20, 30 or even 40 years, The Last of Us has the most astounding action sequences you'll have ever come across. I want to use the word "ever" a lot.

Be still my heart.

Loudninja

I posted this before but:
While this is not an open-world game in the textbook sense, it feels remarkably dense for employing such spacious environments. A typical slice of unbroken space might incorporate a street, several alleys and a variety of multistorey shops or dwellings. This approach to level design gracefully serves the game’s narrative context: when an apocalyptic event knocks out the structured routine of law-abiding society, you’d expect there to be more latitude in your decision-making.

The world of The Last Of Us is big enough to get lost in, and without the aid of a minimap, we did on several occasions. Whereas Uncharted often felt like walking down a scenic but clearly delineated hiking trail, The Last Of Us prizes deep, meaningful exploration
http://www.edge-online.com/review/the-last-of-us-review/

No game is universally loved. Reviews should be expected to reflect the gamut of human opinion, instead of conforming to some single score based on a reviewing hivemind.

Not GTA. Count me on this. I predict GTAV would have the highest metacritic rating this gen. I'll even DARESAY go as far as having a 99 at MC. It seems 3rd party reviewers feel much more liberated to go easy on for very high production values on multi-plat titles - especially popular ones. (less berating from console exclusive fans) And then 2, 3 months down the line we will point out how ridiculous they are for not calling out the flaws, rinse & repeat.

I never got shirts from pre-orders when I lived in Taipei, though they probably wouldn't have fit anyway.

But usually the Asian versions of PS3 games are the best, multi-language options FTW.

Unfortunately, though, I'm from Canada and my PSN account is Canadian. Certain Asia "Region 3" games aren't compatible with DLC from the North American PSN store.

Uncharted 2 & 3, for example, is a game I couldn't buy DLC for. Tomb Raider as well. Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite, however, I could buy the season passes.

There's no consistency! I never know which game is going to be compatible with content from my PSN account.

For The Last of Us, however, I'm 99% sure it won't be compatible :(

I'm going to finish the main campaign in the week leading up to my trip to NYC, sell that copy to my friend, and then get a North American copy when I'm abroad so I can play the DLC.

NJShadow

i do. i care about that.

gameplay is second for me. you can't just assume that everyone games for gameplay. (ha!)
whatever's interesting and fun for that individual person, he can enjoy for that part - and that part alone

and just because -you (not you specifically) - think that games should be played for gameplay, doesn't mean - i (again, not me Sp) - can't enjoy the game emphasizing a different element.

I'd have to agree. When I think back to the original Uncharted (my favorite in the series), while I enjoyed the gameplay immensely (despite the constant firefights that got a tad bit repetitive), it were those moments in-between the action that stuck with me. The environments were gorgeous and remarkably immersive, the story was engaging, creepy, fun, etc.

Gameplay (the platforming elements, firefights, etc.) was a huge part of that game, but what resonated with me was the story and the creative direction.

This is still, in my opinion, one of the coolest, most eerie cutscenes of this gen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAjBzL4MQSc

Not to go off-topic and stray from 'The Last of Us' discussion, just saying, gameplay is incredibly important (sometimes it's key), but it doesn't always make or break a game. Some people do go in wanting more than just an interactive experience, but also something that they can marvel at while traversing the digital landscape.

(OK, I think I'm just rambling now. O_O)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I am going to do my very best to hold out for this to drop to £25 before buying. Told myself I'd never buy a game at full price again, let's see if this or GTA V will make me break that vow. Not a slight against the game, I honestly think it'll be great and I'm really looking forward to it, but I can't justify the £40 price tag when I know it'll be half that soon enough.

thuway

Before it's all said and done I think this game can reach 98 if reviewers want it too. I really hope it gets to the top level. GTA IV does NOT deserve that slot.

There is also too much conspiracy to take the Polygon review seriously. Phil Kohler also likes to shit on every game imaginable, so to add his review in is kind of like throwing in a pessimist's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom