• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
For what? Their review scale is a bit different than other outlets. I think it's great that we have sites like QT3 on Metacritic. It should be be difficult for games to breach the 85-90 barrier. But let me be honest, I completely expected Tom Chick to give this a 2 or 3. I don't usually agree with his reviews but he is entitled to his opinion.

antitrop

After reading his Bioshock Infinite review I seriously questioned whether the man should even be writing video game reviews at all.

Now I just plan to completely ignore him.

cameron

On the theme of inconsistency, Tom Chick didn't write an official review for Tomb Raider due to a certain conflict of interest (i.e. mock review or consulting for SE or whatever), but he did say on their forums that he would give it a 5/5. He also wrote two articles for the site about how amazing TR is (story and all) when the embargo lifted, and called out other reviewers who criticized TR's story and cast of characters. The issues of combat vs narrative vs tedium vs reality applied to BI and TLoU in his reviews could easily be applied to TR, but yay for refreshing contrarian opinions I guess.

how does metacritic decide what sites to include in its review rating. this sad angry ineffectual man doesnt deserve to be included in this. =/

DukeBobby

On the theme of inconsistency, Tom Chick didn't write an official review for Tomb Raider due to a certain conflict of interest (i.e. mock review or consulting for SE or whatever), but he did say on their forums that he would give it a 5/5. He also wrote two articles for the site about how amazing TR is (story and all) when the embargo lifted, and called out other reviewers who criticized TR's story and cast of characters. The issues of combat vs narrative vs tedium vs reality applied to BI and TLoU in his reviews could easily be applied to TR, but yay for refreshing contrarian opinions I guess.

The man is quite clearly insane.

Of course it's Tom Chick. See his Halo 4 review for more hilarity.

I feel like QuarterToThree should just be banned from metacritic. Their entire model is based on low-balling game reviews to get clicks. Fucking pathetic.

DukeBobby

Metascore predictions

sleeping_dragon - 1000
Sorian - 100
Jawbreaker - 99
cjtiger300 - 98
ProfessorMoran - 98
Jigolo - 98
hlhbk - 98
Loris146 - 97
Fancy Corndog - 97
Alchemy - 97
weekend_warrior - 97
Represent. - 97
zdravkelja - 97
DatDude - 97
The RaDaMaNt - 97
Loakum - 97
More_Badass - 96
Eyothrie - 96
markhimself46 - 96
Tricky I Shadow - 96
Moonlight - 96
FullMetalx117 - 96
dragonflys545 - 96
startyourengine - 96
Rivyn - 96
AgentChris - 96
KiDdYoNe - 96
Alchemist - 96
Pyscho_Mantis - 96
-COOLIO- - 96
JawzPause - 96
Ricky_R - 95
iNvid02 - 95
Jarmel - 95
reptilescorpio - 95
reKon - 95
Coolbgdog12 - 95
squidyj - 95
DarkLordMalik - 95
revolverjgw - 95
Piggus - 95
Razor554 - 95
djshauny - 95
Rojo - 95
revolverjgw - 95
VanCityGamer - 94
GribbleGrunger - 94
Sola Scriptura - 94
Ridesh - 94
H2Yo - 94
antitrop - 94
Sorral - 94
Tagg9 - 94
McDougles - 94
flattie - 94
IncandescentPrecept - 94
ekim - 94
Kaako - 94
Shining - 94
flc - 94
Boogalogist - 94
DukeBobby - 93
jacksepticeye - 93
HoJu - 93
l3lacklvlagic - 93
Twix - 93
shink - 93
sappyday - 93
Domcorleone - 93
boinx - 93
PetriP-TNT - 93
Zoator - 93
timmaysmittay - 93
Lé Blade Runner - 93
JAYSIMPLE - 93
Hanmik - 93
GlamFM - 93
Napalm_Frank - 93
Badosh - 92
Vire - 92
thuway - 92
Shallwhat - 92
Donthizz# - 92
KillerTravis - 92
Danny-Boy - 92
lilltias - 92
TDSpartan - 92
Pegasos123 - 92
Pharmboy044 - 91
Soler - 91
Puppet Shadow - 91
daxter01 - 91
nhlducks35 - 91
K.Sabot - 91
Lingitiz - 90
RadixNegative2 - 90
Kallor - 90
Wynnebeck - 89
Chake - 89
CrazyDude - 89
mxgt - 89
Striek - 89
Nibel - 89
Andrew. - 88
Dresden - 88
elelunicy - 81

Winners will receive hypothetical candy.

Let's bring this back, shall we?

Who knows where the score will end up? Another 10/10 could easily bring it back up to a 96 again.

Alright so the hype for this game is huge obviously but my question is this. How is the language. I'm fine with gore violence whatever else but I really REALLY hate when every other word is the F word and from what I saw of the demo this game seems to be rampant with conversation akin to a high schoolers intelligence level. Is this a legit concern or is my impression wrong and the language not very noticeable?

Neiteio

Alright so the hype for this game is huge obviously but my question is this. How is the language. I'm fine with gore violence whatever else but I really REALLY hate when every other word is the F word and from what I saw of the demo this game seems to be rampant with conversation akin to a high schoolers intelligence level. Is this a legit concern or is my impression wrong and the language not very noticeable?
There are a lot of f-bombs, from Ellie in particular, but don't skip the game over it. When you play the full game in context, it seems entirely appropriate. Swearing can be a coping mechanism, a way of dealing with stress, not to mention Ellie grew up in a world where civilities have fallen by the wayside in favor of survival.

zoukka

Of course it's Tom Chick. See his Halo 4 review for more hilarity.

I feel like QuarterToThree should just be banned from metacritic. Their entire model is based on low-balling game reviews to get clicks. Fucking pathetic.

So ban every site that has given the lowest scores to games until only 10/10 reviews remain.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone watch the Gamespot spoilercast show?

The guy who reviewed the game is on there, and I honest to God feel embarrassed for Gamespot that they let this guy review the game.

In the first 10 minutes, the 2 other people are disagreeing with every single point he makes.

The guy is completely fucking clueless. He thinks Joel in the beginning of the game might be selling drugs because he comes home late.

Jesus Christ.

nib95

Banned
So ban every site that has given the lowest scores to games until only 10/10 reviews remain.

Have you played Last of Us? Giving Last of Us a 6/10 followed by the great many nit picky criticisms that followed is rather absurd. I get that it's an opinion and everything, but it's a terrible opinion. The game is stupendously good.

Just finished watching the GT review. Great vid. Well deserved praise.

The guy who reviewed the game is on there, and I honest to God feel embarrassed for Gamespot that they let this guy review the game.

In the first 10 minutes, the 2 other people are disagreeing with every single point he makes.

The guy is completely fucking clueless. He thinks Joel in the beginning of the game might be selling drugs because he comes home late.

Jesus Christ.

My guess was that he was in building contracting or something similar. He mentioned that they really needed the new contract, which makes me think it can't have been anything drug related lol.

A link to the vid?

Domino792

Jesus Christ.

wow... now i have to watch this.

zoukka

He gave a pinball game 10/10 and Journey 4/10.

That man understands nothing.

GAF is full of people who thought Journey was an overhyped non-game. That means they have different taste as you and me.

Have you played Last of Us? Giving Last of Us a 6/10 followed by the great many nit picky criticisms that followed is rather absurd. I get that it's an opinion and everything, but it's a terrible opinion. The game is stupendously good.

Yeah finished it a few days ago. I liked it a lot, but it's not some untouchable golden standard of videogames.

The Lamp

Mild/moderate use of F word from adults, lots of F word use from Ellie because she's a hardened 14 year old lol.

nib95

Banned
GAF is full of people who thought Journey was an overhyped non-game. That means they have different taste as you and me.

I doubt many if any would give it a 4/10 though. Even if the game didn't chime with you, objectively there's a sense of creative beauty and minimalism about it's design that is rather enticing. Add to that, it's a pretty affordable download game. So shouldn't really have the same expectation of content value as a full retail game.

JawzPause

Wow 9.8 from GT? I can't remember them giving a game a higher score. The game definitely deserves all the praise though. I think this may have taken Demon's souls spot for my game of the generation.

Yeah as I said there's no consistency and it feels really random. AC3 was the worst game I played last year.
AC3 was mediocre at best, forgettable characters, stealth gameplay that has not advanced and feels gamey at best with little to no tension or consequence, they don't have to give tlou a 10 but low balling games like that is kind of shameful because it ends up hurting the dev for no good reason. It's like people are entitled to their opinions but oh come the fuck on, seriously.

zoukka

I doubt many if any would give it a 4/10 though. Even if the game didn't chime with you, objectively there's a sense of creative beauty and minimalism about it's design that is rather enticing. Add to that, it's a pretty affordable download game. So shouldn't really have the same expectation of content value as a full retail game.

If you play by the tule that a 5/10 is average, then I don't see the problem. Flower and Journey are not for everyone.

And what business does subjectivity have in professional journalism?

All reviews are subjective to their core.

kitch9

Banned

People swear. Welcome to real life.

RonanN1

Banned
You know what I don't like about this game? There is NO surprise factor! I mean I KNOW when something will come and I KNOW when it's 100% safe and do whatever I want. That's not cool at all :)

They missed out on that...they missed out on that constant fear that there just might be a runner or a clicker or a hunter hidden in "the next room"...

Just like in the old Resident Evil games or Alone in the dark 3

Constant fear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom