• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Sequel: Joel & Ellie again or NO Joel & Ellie again? | What about MP?

Sande

I don't see the point without Ellie. Might as well do something completely new at that point.

MP: No "detective mode", no one-shotting molotovs or (practically) perma-stunning smoke bombs, no microtransaction bullshit.

New characters but in a different part of that world, different context/circumstances per se. Could careless about MP, wasn't much of a fan.

The God

Stop this "no sequel" shit.

I'd like the sequel to feature Ellie in her early twenties, maybe after the death of Joel.

Multiplayer should have co-op missions similar to Uncharted, but maybe tighter in the sense that they could have a mini story/objective to go with each mission.

A survival mode with infected is needed as well. I'd like some PvP modes that feature infected as bots too.

Apathy

Is be fine with adult Ellie as the main character, more I would love a different story about different people in this messed up world.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No Joel and Ellie please. I very much felt their story was done... and too much information about their lives later on will undermine the ending of the first. I don't want to see Ellie continually ruminating on the cure/survival's guilt, because I liked the last moment where they ended that topic (for us, the audience) with a collectively agreed upon lie.

Or, do you NOT want the sequel to have anything to do with Joel & Ellie and have it follow a narrative of completely different characters? If this is what you want, then you open up a lot of other possibilities. The direction I would take with it; if they do, is waaaay back in the beginning, that family that Tommy & co drove by on the road, I think it'd be interesting to see where they would end up. I've always actually wondered where these bystander characters go sometimes.

Very clever idea.

However, as someone who just watched that scene last night: I believe it is implicit that that family is doomed by Joel's inaction.

It symbolizes Joel's first step into "protect my own" survival mode (which culminates in the ending of the game), and it symbolizes how other family units like Joel/Sarah/Tommy's are very much at risk, bringing the danger home.

Ishan

MP was good first MP shooter I enjoyed since cs / quake . I don't like cod etc. I'll let them improve it however.

Campaign

New characters Joel and ellie are done . It could tie into the Joel elli story though . One idea is if we play as the characters gunned down in Pitt but don't know that and you only realize it towards the end you're the ones shot which Joel and elli saw.you think it can't all be for nothing but it is.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
MP needs a no radar, no wallhack "grounded" mode.

As an option.

Also, ditch the stupid meta game.

TheXbox

I feel like so many people expect a new cast that the crazy and subversive thing to do is to make it about Joel again. That would be nuts. What does that game even look like? Where do you take that character after he fucking condemns the human race to extinction?

Scotia

Banned
I'm not fussed really. I'll enjoy the sequel whatever it is. If I had to pick though? You play as a grown-up Ellie who decides to go out to try and find what remains of the fireflies.

SSReborn

My 2 things for MP

Smoothen out movements. I dont want to hop over a piece a cover and worry that my character is gonna walk a couple steps forward randomly.

I want to be able to save people from executions.

The God

original.jpg

original.jpg

These would be fucking incredible for enemy variety too.

I think it could pick up with Joel a few months after, trying to come to terms with some of his decisions, and Ellie gradually clocking on to the truth. It could be a 50/50 split control wise, and see the same story from a different perspective, similar to The Affair. Joel could move on And leave Ellie behind, and we then take control of a Firefly member tracking Ellie down for a cure.

Either that, or Joel as a Teenager before any of this happen, and call it The First of Us :p

I'm not fussed really. I'll enjoy the sequel whatever it is. If I had to pick though? You play as a grown-up Ellie who finds out about Joel's lie and goes out to try and find what remains of the fireflies.

I thought it was clear Ellie already knew Joel was lying.

I think LoU ended so well, having a sequel with Joel and Ellie seems pointless, unless they really have some inspired plans. If they really want to do a sequel, telling a new story with new characters could work. I think Left Behind proved they could tell more interesting stores outside of Joel/Ellie.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I feel like so many people expect a new cast that the crazy and subversive thing to do is to make it about Joel again. That would be nuts. What does that game even look like? Where do you take that character after he fucking condemns the human race to extinction?
He did no such thing.

I'd rather they not do a sequel. It's not an interesting enough world to keep telling stories in it rather than create something new, so I'm expecting it to be Ellie main character with fan service Joel references thrown in. Whatever they do with it, I'd much rather have a new interesting world for Naughty Dog to tell a story in.

I'd like to go somewhere new. Joel + Ellie story ended great, with some sense of hope. Sequel with Ellie would likely throw that ending into shit. Something bad had to happen, unless she just simply decided to travel after a few years and head somewhere far away to see what else is out there. I'd be kinda okay with that, actually.

I'd still rather see a fresh start with entirely fresh faces.

Kazooie

Banned
I want a sequel. I always imagined The Last of Us 2 would be set 10 or so years after The Last of Us and would feature Ellie as the main character with Joel either being dead or MIA.

I wouldn't want a sequel set immediately after The Last of Us.

If not an Ellie sequel I hope they give us a game set somewhere else in the universe.

It's Naughty Dog, whatever they do will be brilliant.

Duraigo

I want a sequel, but I want it to have nothing to do with either Joel or Ellie. Their story is done. MP is a welcomed addition IMO, so long as it remains similar to the MP from the first game without too many changes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I want them both back, older obviously but it wouldn't be the same without them.

Chase17

I thought that TLoU had a perfect ending and don't really want to return to those characters (although I will play a sequel with them if that's what they choose to make). And I didn't find much particularly interesting in the world of TLoU outside of the characters so I would be fine if there is no sequel and they make a new ip. That being said they may just make a great cast of new characters and I would be hooked again.

Never really touched the MP, so I won't comment on that.

Alienous

The path of least resistance, narratively, to me is:

Half of the game (or less than that) is Joel in his past, with Tommy, as they do some messed up shit following Sarah's death. The remainder of the game is Ellie dealing with an enemy Joel and Tommy made during that period of his life.

And that's pretty much the best I could come up with. It's a really tough sequel to conceptualize.

Going by the Fireflies actions, I seriously doubt they are "Heroes". They would probably monopolize the cure for their own personal gain. They are terrorists after all.

TheXbox

He did no such thing.
Ehhhhh

Hey, I don't blame the guy. I murdered the shit out of those doctors. But I think the cost of his decision is plainly stated. There was a chance for a cure, and he squandered it. I'd like to hear why you think otherwise, though.

Landford

Banned
Dont really get some people "Few months later, when Ellie starts to figure out Joel lied". She caught his bullshit in a second at the ending. She just went along with it.

BadAss2961

Continue the Joel and Ellie story, but with control of an older Ellie this time.

I'd take it, but there's no point in doing a sequel without them. Might as well just start a new IP.

orochi91

I don't mind the same characters returning for the sequel, but I seriously wish they'd move the setting out of NA.

Post-Apocalyptic NA is nice and all, but I want to see new locales, like Asia/Southern Europe/Africa/Deserts/Tropical biomes, and etc.

TLoU settings were dreary as fuck :/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Condemns the human race? Where would you take the character after Joel allowed
his "daughter" to be slaughtered for medical experiments?

It's always interesting where people bring down their moral judgements upon a character.

For my part, within the reality of the story, Joel was justified. He had to commit
the major sin of throwing away hope for the cure, the minor sin of slaughtering the Fireflies, in order to save the one he loved.
I get it. I see it as a sacrifice that he had to go into the darkness to save her.

I'd rather new IP, though I know that's probably impossible given TLoU's success.

Where do you take that character after he fucking condemns the human race to extinction?

This is such a common yet completely bullshit misunderstanding of the game's universe that it's practically a litmus test regarding TLoU discussion.

bluethree

I really can't see where else they could take Joel and Ellie's story without really cheapening it. Bring on another game in the same world, but tell a new story please.

Gator86

TLOU is compelling because of Joel and Ellie, not because it is some massively original take on the post apocalypse, so a sequel without them (or at least Ellie) would be pointless.

If they make a sequel, I think it should be you playing as a grown up Ellie.

I fail to see this at all. Joel and Ellie didn't exist before the last game. ND would just come up with equally good, original characters while being freed from having to put together an entire new universe. It's the best of both worlds unless you're determined to have Joel and Ellie's story driven into the ground. How about a prequel to TLoU where it turns out all of the characters already met before? Let it go.

BadAss2961

If they have to do a sequel instead of a new IP, totally new characters. That story is done.
Why start over? They're not trying to Ass Creed this and make a sprawling franchise out of it. If you write a sequel, continue where you left off. Otherwise just do something else.

I like TLOU as a self contained story. It was so perfectly done that I feel any expansion to their story will feel arbitrary. Particularly with the open Ended way that it ended. They grew so much together as characters that the only next steps are to drive conflict between them

Maybe an older Ellie with a kid of her own

But again, I can't see many scenarios that really drive them out into an adventure in the way that TLOU did originally

Top Bottom