• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us sweeps up 8 Emmys ahead of main event

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yeah everyone is wrong except you :messenger_crying:
I still say Bella Ramsey is Ellie's worst choice.

And.... The series fails to create a bond in Joel and Ellie....

That's also a flaw of the series.

Also, the series does not show the scarcity of ammunition, that each bullet is supposed to be valuable in the game... That is not seen in the series...

The infected appear very rarely...

And Joel's personality changes in the Serie.

Its a score 8.8 for me

Last edited:

EDMIX

From a person that loves a great drama, I knew for such a long time that if this series was a show, it would likely dominate in those awards if done right.

Prepare for the default relevance of this IP to be the show folks.

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme Look at it like this, the people I talk to about this show normally, they don't even fucking play videos games.

They don't fucking care....

Some of you are crying over this shit as if the majority care....they don't. Ask all those Walking Dead Fans how much they are fucking crying over some comic character looking different, they don't know what you are talking about and will simply continue their story on how much they love the show.

I don't really think some of you realize just how dumb that idea is btw. The absolute vast majority don't see this as an issue as why would they even care? The show has been viewed by over 30 million, clearly most simply don't care about this to the degree that I think some of you exaggerate or really believe is some massive issue.

Yet we all managed to live thru the horror and terror that was Bella Ramsey lol You'd think someone would make a Dateline episode about these horrors, this terrible news is dominating all of social media, holy shit I think the President will have a State Of The Union talking about this.... /s lol

I think some fans really, really want folks to give a shit about this, as someone who got both games day 1, put hundreds of hours in em, I just don't give a fuck man lol They picked imho the right choice, but even if I didn't care for how the person looked like, I'm not sure I can say this actor is the "worse choice"

Those awards and record views show otherwise bud.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
From a person that loves a great drama, I knew for such a long time that if this series was a show, it would likely dominate in those awards if done right.

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme Look at it like this, the people I talk to about this show normally, they don't even fucking play videos games.

Some of you are crying over this shit as if the majority care....they don't. Ask all those Walking Dead Fans how much they are fucking crying over some comic character looking different, they don't know what you are talking about and will simply continue their story on how much they love the show.

I don't really think some of you realize just how dumb that idea is btw. The absolute vast majority don't see this as an issue as why would they even care? The show has been viewed by over 30 million, clearly most simply don't care about this to the degree that I think some of you exaggerate or really believe is some massive issue.

Yet we all managed to live thru the horror and terror that was Bella Ramsey lol You'd think someone would make a Dateline episode about these horrors, this terrible news is dominating all of social media, holy shit I think the President will have a State Of The Union talking about this.... /s lol

I think some fans really, really want folks to give a shit about this, as someone who got both games day 1, put hundreds of hours in em, I just don't give a fuck man lol They picked imho the right choice, but even if I didn't care for how the person looked like, I'm not sure I can say this actor is the "worse choice"

For those who haven't played the last of us... They would say it's a masterpiece or a 9.5 😝.

But since we are experts in video games, the series has its flaws, not even the actors, most of them look like the characters... And there are actors who should have been... Hugh Jackman and Kaitlyn Dever should have been the protagonists.

And I would have left Pedro Pascal or whatever his name is on Mandalorian.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Was it not nominated for Best That's Gay As Fuck Episode?

Anyways. I really liked the show and hope it wins Best Prosthetic Make Up at least.

EDMIX

For those who haven't played the last of us... They would say it's a masterpiece or a 9.5 😝.

But since we are experts in video games, the series has its flaws, not even the actors, most of them look like the characters... And there are actors who should have been... Hugh Jackman and Kaitlyn Dever should have been the protagonists.

smh, no 27 year old person is going to pass as 14 years old lol

This is pure fan fiction.

SCB3

Also, the series does not show the scarcity of ammunition, that each bullet is supposed to be valuable in the game... That is not seen in the series...

Its a score 8.8 for me
I can't argue with a lot of this, I loved the show and would give it a solid 9/10 personally, Bella Ramsay gets Ellie's voice and character down but my god does she not look like how I'd expect Ellie to look, shame Eliot Page wasn't A. Avialible and B. Well now a Man as they would've been perfect casting really

Pedro Pascal is the stand out on this show but man are they gonna struggle a bit if they stick with 2's story, although I fully expect that that will end season 2, with Abby's story for Season 3 and then Ellies Revenge for Seasons 4 and 5 easily enough

SCB3

Have you seen some American shows, 40 year olds pass as teens in some of them! Hell look at Smallville, Clark Kent looked older than the guy playing Lex Luthor ffs

xrnzaaas

Storm Reid won? Lol, she's not any outstanding actress and Left Behind was one of the least memorable episodes of the season. I started fast forwarding half way through and not just because I knew the original story.

You can love or hate the episode with Nick Offerman, but he's still a great actor and his performance was solid based on the material he received.

It would still be more believable than having her play Abby. ;)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Storm Reid won? Lol, she's not any outstanding actress and Left Behind was one of the least memorable episodes of the season. I started fast forwarding half way through and not just because I knew the original story.
Agreed. I actually had to Google her. And even when I did I couldn’t remember her even being on the show at all and had to add TLoU to my search. Weird pick.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
stranger-things-fans-make-the-same-joke-about-max-1653906732.jpg

Max should have been Ellie, I won't hear any more on the matter. As for those awards, they are pretty minor.

The shortlists kind of generate the winners if you ask me.

Nick Offerman is a great shout. Regardless of the storyline changes.

I personally think the sound mixing and editing on For all mankind deserves a shout, especially the space sequences (no idea if it was eligible though). But from the other nominees I think it could easily have been HotD or Stranger Things.

I thought Melanie Lynskey deserved the Emmy over Storm Reid.

Visual effects and prosthetics definitely. The budget was there and the zombies were really well done.

Best editing should have been White Lotus imo.

Best main title seems fair given the other nominees. Its always has great visual style.

Seems mostly fair to be honest. One I would have changed, and the sound ones were tight.

Looks like HBO struck gold again.

the state of the TV industry lmao
Too overrated the series, honestly.

And I got the game original and the Ps4 versión.
I saw this coming but I want to attempt to get a positive out of it…

If you guys have any 2023 TV shows to recommend ahead of this one, please share. I’m looking for good content so I’d figure I’d ask and I’m hoping to see some interesting answers from the gaming-side of GAF.

Also, Nothing is off the table for recommendations btw, so 2023 shows from other countries count too.

WitchHunter

Banned

8 wins so far with guest actors and creative awards. Main event is tomorrow but they could walk away happy even with this I think

Emmys kinda irrelevant but still cool to see a game do this

And? Nobody cares about the emmys, the oscars and the like. The series is a letdown. Optimized for the zombie masses, not consumable by anyone with a semblance of intelligence. And they used two actors who already dance on a very strange and very thin edge/niche.

They should've asked the team who created the movie: BALLERINA. Just let the south koreans do your game adaptations and it will be a-ok. And next time ask Jeon Jong-seo to be the protagonist.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Its a score 8.8 for me
Yeah. There was like two scenes with Bella/Ellie I liked, when she killed the infected stuck in the rubble in the basement and the end of the David episode. Otherwise she showed little to no emotions when emotions should’ve been shown and every scene she had with another actor she came away looking bad.
Joel was great though.

I would rate the show 8/10 and Bella 6/10 and Pedro 9/10.

The show could still deserve the awards. No real competition.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Most of these are just related to audiovisuals, which I’d argue are deserved. Its a good looking/sounding show.

GooseMan69

It was a decent show. It cleared the bar of not completely shitting all over the source material, which is more than I can say for most adaptations these days.

WitchHunter

Banned

If you need to spend a miniscule 100 000 dollars more to appeal everyone, why not spend that money? The overoptimization (will they eat this level of shit, let's see) and the audacity to pull shit like we've seen in TLOU2 that killed the whole pacing of the game, alienates a lot of people and that results in compaining by fellas who have a keen eye spotting bullshit, what the mayority doesn't have/care/see.

With your approach we would be still sitting on top of trees munching mangoes and living happily until the next asteroid comes.

TLOU, the series, in its current state, will never reach immortal status. It's a safe play/market test vehicle from the producers. It's nowhere near shows like Breaking bad, The Wire etc. and never will be.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Its a score 8.8 for me
She is better than the alien from the original game.
It's so jarring going back to the game and seeing that thing running around with you.
They fixed her a tiny bit in part1

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
It was nothing more than OK imo. I still haven’t finished the final episode. Doubt I’ll bother with S2.

Same here (except I did finish the final episode).

Every single impactful moment, IMO, was worse in the TV series. The death of Sarah, "treading on mighty thin ice" scene, the whole hospital and final scene...you name it.

To me it felt as if the series mostly became worse and worse as it went on. By the end, it was OK. Not bad by any means, but barely OK.

Only my 2 cents, of course. I have almost zero excitement for the second season.

Kadve

Emmys are sadly a joke like pretty much all media awards nowadays. Often its Best = Popular to like and nothing more.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Well deserved, the show was fantastic, it brought my gf into a series outside of her watching me play the game.

Mr.Phoenix

Too overrated the series, honestly.

And I got the game original and the Ps4 versión.

Its a score 8.8 for me

But I don't buy The last of us part 1, because for me it is an insult that they call it a remake, when it really isn't 😝
Suspect...

Top Bottom