• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us sweeps up 8 Emmys ahead of main event

WitchHunter

Banned
Sony should up the polygon count next time 100 fold, rent a few hours of rendering time and just release some noname twitch streamer's TLOU1 longplay as a series. Would have the same effect. And say it was rendered on PS6 from the future. Later on announce that the CGI characters became alive and show the mocap actors as they jump out of an OLED TV. 93,2 million views!!! Awards shower! Golden Cockatrice, Golden Fern, Golden Retriever!

The amount of salt tlou 2 still generates could sustain us for generations.
Maybe don't play stupid games with your audience.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I still say Bella Ramsey is Ellie's worst choice.

And.... The series fails to create a bond in Joel and Ellie....

That's also a flaw of the series.

Also, the series does not show the scarcity of ammunition, that each bullet is supposed to be valuable in the game... That is not seen in the series...

The infected appear very rarely...

And Joel's personality changes in the Serie.

Its a score 8.8 for me

I was very skeptical with casting but seeing her in the role completely change my mind

We need proper discussion om season 2 would love to her peoplss thoughts on if they will go down a diffrent route regarding the first 2 hours of two of second game I think if do I 5h8nk could rnd this prematurely

Last edited:

Doom85

Mario was better.

No Way GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

There’s a ton of video game adaptations far better than one of the most forgettably average movies in recent memory. TLOU, Arcane, Detective Pikachu, Sonic 1 and 2, Silent Hill 1, Steins Gate, Street Fighter 2, Persona 4, etc. all range from better to FAR better than 2023 Mario.

Christ, even if the 90’s Mario film is worse, I’m going to remember it far more than the 2023 film. Hell, while Chris Pratt turned out fine in the role (even if he was the weakest performance in it), Bob Hoskins is the better performance for Mario. Charlie Day is better as Luigi, but at least the 90’s film kept the brothers together for most of the movie, and really the only issue with John Leguizamo was the lack of mustache otherwise he was good in the role.

To reiterate, the 90’s movie is worse, but at least I was entertained by the occasional good moment (and more often entertained in a different way by all the bad moments). The 2023 film left me thinking, “well…that certainly was a movie that happened.”

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You said 'awards mean nothing if people stop watching." But people didn't stop watching. Viewership doubled though. So it's obvious people loved the quality of the show as it kept going.

I was implying season 2 and onwards. As with any show, viewership will drop and most shows, even popular ones, will get canned. Happens almost all the time.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
That was the best episode, by far. Which is my problem with the series. It peaked at episode 3.

I was about to say this but you beat me to it. Ep. 3 kinda overshadowed the entire show, by setting such a high bar that the following episodes came up short.

In order to harvest the maximum amount of salt, and in honour of that 'wokeness killing the gaming industry' thread, they should have gone a different direction with the show. Joel should have swapped places with Tess, and died fighting the infected. Tess and Ellie escape and they make their way to the Fireflies in Salt Lake City. In season 2, it's of course Tess that attends the golfing tournament.

The only great episode is the Bill and Frank one. Overall, I don't think they did justice to the game.

i am only intrigued by how they handle the storytelling of the second game and the critical reception.

saintjules

I still say Bella Ramsey is Ellie's worst choice.

And.... The series fails to create a bond in Joel and Ellie....

That's also a flaw of the series.

Also, the series does not show the scarcity of ammunition, that each bullet is supposed to be valuable in the game... That is not seen in the series...

The infected appear very rarely...

And Joel's personality changes in the Serie.

Its a score 8.8 for me

Hmm. You scored it pretty high despite your gripes. Tell us what they did right to get 8.8/10???

MiguelItUp

People will always find reasons to complain, or make smaller cons huge, etc. But that being said, it's the best video game adaptation that we've seen in the form of a live action show. That's all there is to it. That doesn't mean you have to like it or love it, it's just something that I think the majority will agree with. They did quite a bit of things well, hell, bafflingly well. Of course it's not perfect, but we have yet to really see such a thing, and honestly, I doubt we ever will. There will always be something(s) people will be unhappy with.

However, I will admit I figured they'd leave with 1-3 if anything. 8 is pretty insane to me, lol. Especially when other shows/films left with only 1.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Bruh. I was not a fan of the show, but everyone knows what you meant. Your post was stupid. Admit you made a mistake and just move on. Stop doubling down on idiocy.

Then you and everyone else should learn to read. Nothing to double down. More context here:

I was implying season 2 and onwards. As with any show, viewership will drop and most shows, even popular ones, will get canned. Happens almost all the time.

Quality peaked with the first 3 episodes. Season 2 will most likely drop in both quality and viewers. That is what I meant. Nothing else, nothing more. I have nothing against the show or the game, in fact I liked both games. Its just that you and the rest of the tlou idiot defense force cant take any negative opinion. I will in fact idiot proof the original post and link this one to it, so you and other dumdums can stop missquoting me.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Then you and everyone else should learn to read. Nothing to double down. More context here:

Quality peaked with the first 3 episodes. Season 2 will most likely drop in both quality and viewers. That is what I meant. Nothing else, nothing more. I have nothing against the show or the game, in fact I liked both games. Its just that you and the rest of the tlou idiot defense force cant take any negative opinion.

Quit being a dumb-fuck and read your original post. Here you go:

Awards mean nothing if ppl stop watching ur show. It peaked at first episodes but then it dropped. S2 will most likely have far less views and theyll eventually cancel it. It doesnt have the GoT legs. Not many modern shows do these days.

You said awards mean nothing if people stop watching the show. Then the next sentence says, "It peaked at the first episodes but then it dropped." This is a past-tense claim you half-wit. You're not talking about season 2 at that point, because season 2 cannot be referenced in past-tense as it hasn't released yet. Act like a retard if you want, but the rest of us aren't the issue here. You need to learn to read, and you should start by reading your own damn post before you start arguing with everyone else.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You said awards mean nothing if people stop watching the show. Then the next sentences says, "It peaked at the first episodes but then it dropped." This is a past-tense claim you half-wit

You're quite daft arent you? I dont have to explain what I meant when I know what I meant, if you're an idiot and can't fathom and understand what I said, then thats on you. Where in the fucking hell do I talk about 1st season viewership? The first sentence "Awards mean nothing if ppl stop watching your show" is not a shot at its viewership dropping in the 1st season you clown. It's a shot at future seasons hence why I continue with an explanation due to the shows quality dropping. Whether thats the case for you or not, I dont care. Did you finally understand you bufoon?

Last edited:
I Guess Season 8 GIF by THE NEXT STEP

I'll say, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it nearly the way I expected to considering how highly I regard the first game.

I didn't watch a ton of shows in 23' in general as most of them just were so averagely dull or boring or just...rehashes of things that it's become way less a part of my daily time investment in general.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Shows based on video games sweeping Hollywood smell your own farts award shows.

Never thought I’d be alive to see the day.

kill me now barney stinson GIF

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Learn to read I guess. Nvm, just saw your tag.
My reading is fine. You had no other choice but to say "quality-wise" after someone pulled up the numbers.

Awards mean nothing if ppl stop watching ur show.
You were talking about viewership, not quality.

It peaked at first episodes but then it dropped.
So here the peak you were talking about was viewership.
S2 will most likely have far less views and theyll eventually cancel it. It doesnt have the GoT legs. Not many modern shows do these days.
You continued to talk about viewership going into season 2.

Your entire comment has to do with viewership, not quality.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You're quite daft arent you? I dont have to explain what I meant when I know what I meant, if you're an idiot and can't fathom and understand what I said, then thats on you. Where in the fucking hell do I talk about 1st season viewership? The first sentence "Awards mean nothing if ppl stop watching your show" is not a shot at its viewership dropping in the 1st season you clown. It's a shot at future seasons hence why I continue with an explanation due to the shows quality dropping. Whether thats the case for you or not, I dont care. Did you finally understand you bufoon?

I already explained it you dense knob. It's your second sentence that is past-tense. Learn to read. I'm done responding as you bring nothing of value to this thread.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
My reading is fine. You had no other choice but to say "quality-wise" after someone pulled up the numbers.

I already explained it you dense knob. It's your second sentence that is past-tense. Learn to read. I'm done responding as you bring nothing of value to this thread.

Ugh, fine guess I have to teach you people some basic fucking English. The first sentence is: "Awards mean nothing if ppl stop watching your show". The key word here is IF, which implies a possibility, something that has not happened, aka the future. Nowhere in that sentence does it imply about me talking about the first season viewership since that would be in the past and would not make any sense with the magic word IF. I dont have to continue a new sentence with the same IF's and future references. I simply gave a short sentence expalining the first IF because "in my opinion the quality dropped" and then I continue again with another possibility saying "will most likely" referencing the future again. English isnt my first language, but I pray that yours isn't either. Again, I clearly explained what I was talking about and you and the other idiot tlou defence forced assumed I was lying. That is ofc your call to make, but its an idiotic one. I will stop here, because I practically lost half of my brain cells trying to explain what I meant and all you guys are "err NO U DIDNDT". Jesus, get a life. Peace.

Del_X

Show didn’t really “earn” the sense of loyalty Joel had to Ellie like the game did. Killing Joel off in Season 2 will probably sting less for the TV normies.

simpatico

I don't watch enough shows to say if this was one of the best of the year. I did watch it, but for me it was comfortably mid. Maybe the overall show slate is so terrible that a mid show stands head and shoulders above the rest. I wouldn't be surprised.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I stopped watching after ep 4. LOVED ep 3. But kinda got tired of the here's a character like her now she's dead in one episode schtick.

acm2000

best title screen, the prestigious award every studio dreams of winning.

what is with american studios and their way too long intros? are you that desperate to pad out the episode length?

show itself was good but not great, the missus got bored of it so i had to finish it on my own :LOL:

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Show didn’t really “earn” the sense of loyalty Joel had to Ellie like the game did. Killing Joel off in Season 2 will probably sting less for the TV normies.
Pedro Pascal is a normiecore darling, of course its gonna sting for them.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You can argue as much as you want, but never before the direct videogame adaptation to other media was this successful. For game adaptations this is a watershed moment that proves that Mazin and Druck made all the right calls for show to click with the major non-gaming audiences.
It was already basically a movie/show in style and tropes. Zombie apocalypse, seasoned old timer father figure with a young ward. They just stripped out the nonsensical gamey shit like the spores. Most games require a lot more work to turn them into a movie style story, and that's where they fall flat on their face.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ugh, fine guess I have to teach you people some basic fucking English. The first sentence is: "Awards mean nothing if ppl stop watching your show". The key word here is IF, which implies a possibility, something that has not happened, aka the future. Nowhere in that sentence does it imply about me talking about the first season viewership since that would be in the past and would not make any sense with the magic word IF. I dont have to continue a new sentence with the same IF's and future references. I simply gave a short sentence expalining the first IF because "in my opinion the quality dropped" and then I continue again with another possibility saying "will most likely" referencing the future again. English isnt my first language, but I pray that yours isn't either. Again, I clearly explained what I was talking about and you and the other idiot tlou defence forced assumed I was lying. That is ofc your call to make, but its an idiotic one. I will stop here, because I practically lost half of my brain cells trying to explain what I meant and all you guys are "err NO U DIDNDT". Jesus, get a life. Peace.

Mental gymnastics isn't going to work here.

The word "If" can be used in a conditional state. This state is if people stop watching your show then your awards are meaningless. You then begin to explain where it peaked and how it dropped in the very next sentence.

"Metacritic scores don't mean anything if people aren't buying your games. [x] game was one of the highest rated games on Metacritic, but it did not make the NPD charts."

It's very similar to how you phrased it, but you want to pretend like you were talking about "quality." lol

Awards mean nothing if ppl stop watching ur show. It peaked at first episodes but then it dropped. S2 will most likely have far less views and theyll eventually cancel it. It doesnt have the GoT legs. Not many modern shows do these days.
You want us to believe you were talking about quality in just the second sentence and everywhere else you were talking about viewership. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Uhh... right...

Schmendrick

can`t say I understand the hype, but judging from what`s trending in the movie and game industry I seem to be very out of the loop so....yay, I guess?

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Wow big wins already. Congrats to all the winners.

I love how this IP is now chapping asses as a tv show! Haha some of you bitches should just have a coke, smile, and shut the fuck up.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Edit for idiots: peaked quality wise. context here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...d-of-main-event.1665507/page-2#post-268779939
It did not peak quality-wise. That's your shitty opinion, you linked to your own comment like its fact

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Mental gymnastics isn't going to work here.

The word "If" can be used in a conditional state. This state is if people stop watching your show then your awards are meaningless. You then begin to explain where it peaked and how it dropped in the very next sentence.

"Metacritic scores don't mean anything if people aren't buying your games. [x] game was one of the highest rated games on Metacritic, but it did not make the NPD charts."

It's very similar to how you phrased it, but you want to pretend like you were talking about "quality." lol

You want us to believe you were talking about quality in just the second sentence and everywhere else you were talking about viewership. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Uhh... right...
Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If people think this show is “mid” then I suggest watching the Halo show. Now THAT is mid at best.

Or season 2 of true detective.

Not everything can be X Files levels of good folks, but this was a good show, and it deserves some awards.

Top Bottom