• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us sweeps up 8 Emmys ahead of main event

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
From a person that loves a great drama, I knew for such a long time that if this series was a show, it would likely dominate in those awards if done right.

Prepare for the default relevance of this IP to be the show folks.

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme Look at it like this, the people I talk to about this show normally, they don't even fucking play videos games.

They don't fucking care....

Some of you are crying over this shit as if the majority care....they don't. Ask all those Walking Dead Fans how much they are fucking crying over some comic character looking different, they don't know what you are talking about and will simply continue their story on how much they love the show.

I don't really think some of you realize just how dumb that idea is btw. The absolute vast majority don't see this as an issue as why would they even care? The show has been viewed by over 30 million, clearly most simply don't care about this to the degree that I think some of you exaggerate or really believe is some massive issue.

Yet we all managed to live thru the horror and terror that was Bella Ramsey lol You'd think someone would make a Dateline episode about these horrors, this terrible news is dominating all of social media, holy shit I think the President will have a State Of The Union talking about this.... /s lol

I think some fans really, really want folks to give a shit about this, as someone who got both games day 1, put hundreds of hours in em, I just don't give a fuck man lol They picked imho the right choice, but even if I didn't care for how the person looked like, I'm not sure I can say this actor is the "worse choice"

Those awards and record views show otherwise bud.
That's long post for someone that
just don't give a fuck man
I do agree Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme
The show is overrated and I wouldn't even rate it next to anything HBO put out from 2000-2014
I mean it's okay, but it's like most adaptations the new stuff is shit and the changes are worse I generally think the game does everything better, even with cinematography the game is in a different league and would have elevated the show if they kept to it, but that's just my opinion and I've recommended several people who like the show to play the game, and they was 100% set on the show being better.
some of them was even shocked the game is that old.
Not shocking to me is all of them have come back and said I was right and it ruined the show for them because they see how inferior it is now.
One girl even got her boyfriend to play it while she watched and yet again she wished the show followed the game more accurately.
The large majority like you said don't care about the game, just like a large majority don't care about the show.
And why topics on the show is in the game section on Gaf all the time is beyond me

mitch1971

for show to click with the major non-gaming audiences.
You Got Me GIF by HULU

Last edited:

EDMIX

That's long post for someone that

I do agree Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme
The show is overrated and I wouldn't even rate it next to anything HBO put out from 2000-2014
I mean it's okay, but it's like most adaptations the new stuff is shit and the changes are worse I generally think the game does everything better, even with cinematography the game is in a different league and would have elevated the show if they kept to it, but that's just my opinion and I've recommended several people who like the show to play the game, and they was 100% set on the show being better.
some of them was even shocked the game is that old.
Not shocking to me is all of them have come back and said I was right and it ruined the show for them because they see how inferior it is now.
One girl even got her boyfriend to play it while she watched and yet again she wished the show followed the game more accurately.
The large majority like you said don't care about the game, just like a large majority don't care about the show.
And why topics on the show is in the game section on Gaf all the time is beyond me

One could write a lot and still not give a fuck sir lol

Still don't

I've never bought games or watched films or avoided them for any of those dumb reasons.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
One could write a lot and still not give a fuck sir lol

Still don't

I've never bought games or watched films or avoided them for any of those dumb reasons.
I generally agree, I paid £70 I think for the Special Edition of TLOU2 knowing all the rumours and leaks.
Ya gotta see that shit for yourself, after all despite those things you're still going in with the impression the original left with you.
If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Films I can decide to what I want to add to my collection and what to ignore, like the Star Wars sequels and the Matrix Resurrections.
I always give them a chance, stuff after that needs to earn my interest back.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

The show was good, especially that 3rd episode that gave us more of Bill's backstory. Even then, the game tells the story a little better, because video games add another artistic dimension that movies can't: you control characters. The ending just cannot hit the same without you controlling Joel and making him do something that the writers know you will disagree with. Same with the end of MGS3, Demon's Souls, and some other greats.
Still a great game and a very good TV show. I am surprised that it is Max's most watched show as Succession is a cut above it, but congrats to them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I bailed on episode 5. At the very least, they should win best set design. I personally wouldn't give it much else, but it's not like there's a ton of competition right now. I think the only good episode was the Bill episode, and even that had issues. It was the only episode with any kind of character that you felt slightly invested in up to that point. Still heavily dropped the ball in all ways when trying to portray a convincing apocalypse, with these 2 people having toilet paper and supplies with minimal risk for a decade +, with Bill standing in the middle of a street with no cover shooting like he's never done it in his life.

I signed up to HBO to watch it. Wasn't trying to be a hater. I didn't think the acting was great. I didn't think there was any good action choreography or any sense of urgency like you would see in an apocalyptic setting. It was like a much, much lesser Walking Dead with really good looking sets. If you go back to Walking Dead season 1, the caliber of casting, acting, and action is on a different level and that was many years ago.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Pretty cool, I’d say it’s well-deserved. That show was good enough to keep my girlfriend—who doesn’t like video games OR television—captivated from start to finish. She even wanted spoilers for season two, knowing that the game continues past the show. I haven’t told her yet… 😬

Ulysses 31

Pretty cool, I’d say it’s well-deserved. That show was good enough to keep my girlfriend—who doesn’t like video games OR television—captivated from start to finish. She even wanted spoilers for season two, knowing that the game continues past the show. I haven’t told her yet… 😬
You should get her to watch the movie cut of part 1. :lollipop_grinning:

Sony has really been killing it with brining their game IPs to TV. My sister watched the GT movie and she really liked it. I haven't watched it yet.

The delicious tears in any TLOU related thread is always a great sight here on GAF.

Imagine once season 2 premiers and the 2nd game is back on the charts and it eventually ends up at selling over 20M copies lmao.

Elysium44

Banned
As someone who has played the game to death and ranks it as one of the best told and acted stories ever, I watched the first episode last year and thought it was terrible, but last week I decided to give it another chance and I watched the whole thing.

Ultimately it isn't completely terrible but it is mostly a very lazy effort, so much has been left out from the original, massive corners were cut everywhere, it's like a bargain basement knock off of the real thing. The casting of Ellie is the biggest failure, although Bella Ramsey does do her best, and there are moments where she comes very close to nailing some of Ellie's qualities. You can't blame her too much, she is just too different in personality and appearance to be able to do this role well. She is too gormless, she needs to be more expressive with her face and eyes but she just can't do it.

I fast forwarded through the self indulgent mess of the episode about Bill, and I skipped the 'left behind' episode altogether.

A lot of the lines from the original fell flat in the TV show. When Joel kills Marlene and says you'd just come after her, his delivery is poor. Same with Ellie's reaction at the end. You do a hundred takes if necessary, you have to get these right. They didn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom