• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story is dated for Europe 24/2/12

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did you enjoy it more than Skyward Sword?

I think Last Story is a far better game than Skyward Sword. That said, I thought Skyward Sword was fucking awful.

thefro

I think Last Story is a far better game than Skyward Sword. That said, I thought Skyward Sword was fucking awful.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'd say outside of the "chase" that NGamer mentions (which is awful), the gameplay in the Last Story is more consistently fun than SS.

b3b0p

FYI, LE is available to preorder on Game.co.uk for those wondering. I was waiting for them to put it up since i know they ship everything over in a box and have decent customer service from my past experience.

Peagles

Hmm, now do I change my order at HMV? If someone can ease my worries that my parcel will be crushed on its way to NZ from HMV I might keep it there. Otherwise I think I'll have to pay the premium and change to GAME...

Decisions...

b3b0p

Hmm, now do I change my order at HMV? If someone can ease my worries that my parcel will be crushed on its way to NZ from HMV I might keep it there. Otherwise I think I'll have to pay the premium and change to GAME...

Decisions...

I didn't order from HMV because no one could confirm how they will ship the game. I have ordered at least 3 imports from Game.co.uk and have had absolutely zero problems. Always well packages and minty fresh. I'll pay the slight premium.

Peagles

Changed to GAME :)

I got my Xenoblade from there and it was packaged really well. Another two pound fifty is little to pay for my peace of mind!

I don't know why you didn't just wait for GAME to begin with lol, itchy pre-order trigger finger couldn't resist! It was weird they took so long to get it up on the website though admittedly.

I basically had 0 problems with GAME getting Xenoblade LE to NZ in perfect shape and timely fashion so I wanted to go with them again. And will again for Pandora's assuming this one goes ok too.

Animekatt

I just switched my order from HMV to GAME based on all of the positive comments on GAME. I used to order from Zavvi, and I never had a bad experience. I just don't want something to go wrong starting with this order.

Peagles

I don't know why you didn't just wait for GAME to begin with lol, itchy pre-order trigger finger couldn't resist! It was weird they took so long to get it up on the website though admittedly.

I basically had 0 problems with GAME getting Xenoblade LE to NZ in perfect shape and timely fashion so I wanted to go with them again. And will again for Pandora's assuming this one goes ok too.

It was weird, that's exactly why I didn't take the chance. Nothing lost by being cautious and getting a copy reserved at HMV while I waited for Game (who might never have got it, who was to know?). Been burned before waiting for stuff to show up online from various retailers before and missed out. Wasn't worth the risk with this to be honest, hehe.

I just switched my order from HMV to GAME based on all of the positive comments on GAME. I used to order from Zavvi, and I never had a bad experience. I just don't want something to go wrong starting with this order.

I switched from HMV to Game too. I ordered Xenoblade from Game and it was packaged well, so I'm happy they finally listed the LE.

Gambit

Received the German magzine "M" today, with a Last Story review:

it got surprisingly high 90%!

"well-thought-out RPG/Action hybrid that will captivate you with an exciting story and a fantastic battle system."

It also mentioned the great British dub and that it was leading JRPGs in a new direction like Xenoblade did, but in a very different one.

"well-thought-out RPG/Action hybrid that will captivate you with an exciting story and a fantastic battle system."

It also mentioned the great British dub and that it was leading JRPGs in a new direction like Xenoblade did, but in a very different one.

I get the feeling that TLS is a game that'll be considered very highly by reviewers, but not so much users (not to the same extent as Xenoblade, at least).

Good score, anyway.

WDcwk.jpg

@ Nintendo France!

wrowa

Another review from Germany has surfaced. In the recent issue of the german GamePro Last Story received 87%.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd say outside of the "chase" that NGamer mentions (which is awful), the gameplay in the Last Story is more consistently fun than SS.

What chase are you referring to? The
the chase with Aru through the town when you first meet her? because that chase takes all of 5 minutes to complete.

Well deserved. I love Last Story's battle system. Incredibly refreshing, and well implemented.

Wazzim

Banned
It's confirmed that when you pre-order The Last Story in the Benelux, you'll get the Limited Edition for the price of the normal one (€40).
It finally pays off to live here! :)

Source

Oxx

Saw some pre-order boxes with 'EDGE 8/10' on them. Did they review the Japanese version? Or was it in a recent issue that I missed?

Gambit

Another review from Germany has surfaced. In the recent issue of the german GamePro Last Story received 87%.

Thanks. Hadn't seen that yet. Maybe the game really fits "Western tastes".

It's confirmed that when you pre-order The Last Story in the Benelux, you'll get the Limited Edition for the price of the normal one (€40).

Source

That's fantastic. I still have an amazon.uk order from when it was low. Now I am contemplating ordering from one of your shops. The box will be the same everywhere anyway. 40€s really is a fantastic deal.

Saw some pre-order boxes with 'EDGE 8/10' on them. Did they review the Japanese version? Or was it in a recent issue that I missed?

I seem to recall that they did review the Japanese version. Couldn't find it online, though.

EDIT:

Meanwhile, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story (reviewed in E226) and Catherine gave the JRPG, at its most traditional and creative extremes, a much needed burst of vitality, while From Software shone a stark light on our gaming credentials with the unforgiving Dark Souls.

found here

So they must have reviewed the Japanese version.

Torraz

Source

Nice. Is this true for all shops (pre-order of last story = limited) or only some? I'll have to preorder it tomorrow in that case.

Jubern

http://www.bamarenlive.com/2012/01/exclu-hironobu-sakaguchi.html

You can see a little of the English voices in this French interview with Sakaguchi (about 1:10 in) and then there's a couple other clips. Seems like they ask Sakaguchi about Skyrim in the middle of the interview but it's all in French/Japanese.

Three questions from readers :
- Why did it take that long for The Last Story to come out in Europe : Here Sakaguchi play the "massive amount of dialogues" card, like a Nintendo rep did a few months ago;
- About the rise of Western RPGs : He's impressed about the superb graphics and impressive capacity of interaction with the environnement;
- Will you try other genres : He's actually developping a iOS surfing game called Party Wave. Coming May or June. From what I gathered in the vid, a party wave is the kind of big wave a lot of people take at the same time. Goal would be to put as much surfers as possible on a wave. Sounds like a 0,79€ game?

By the way, Sakaguchi is doing a conference followed by a signing session in Paris on the 23th. Maybe he'll do the same in other places?
Overall, it looks like France is kind of an exception when it comes to Sakaguchi since his man in Europe is French and he ends up spending most of his time here when he's in Europe. But who knows!

BOTEC

Three questions from readers :
- Why did it take that long for The Last Story to come out in Europe : Here Sakaguchi play the "massive amount of dialogues" card, like a Nintendo rep did a few months ago;
- About the rise of Western RPGs : He's impressed about the superb graphics and impressive capacity of interaction with the environnement;
- Will you try other genres : He's actually developping a iOS surfing game called Party Wave. Coming May or June. From what I gathered in the vid, a party wave is the kind of big wave a lot of people take at the same time. Goal would be to put as much surfers as possible on a wave. Sounds like a 0,79€ game?

By the way, Sakaguchi is doing a conference followed by a signing session in Paris on the 23th. Maybe he'll do the same in other places?
Overall, it looks like France is kind of an exception when it comes to Sakaguchi since his man in Europe is French and he ends up spending most of his time here when he's in Europe. But who knows!

This actually makes much sense. Maybe TLS really will be his last real game. Once you go cellphone, it's hard to go back.

Not sure how you could possibly draw that conclusion from what I wrote.

I'm a bit wary of importing because of the terrible way NoA handled Xenoblade, but I really want to play the Last Story. At this point, I'm looking for any excuse I can find to wait it out. Since we have the exact opposite opinion of Zelda, then maybe we'll have the exact opposite opinion of the Last Story. Or so I tell myself. Can't hurt to wait, either way. Unless the game goes out of print. Guess the preorder's back on. I also ended up ordering the other Wii games NoA passed on, Another Code R and Disaster: Day of Crisis.

thefro

This actually makes much sense. Maybe TLS really will be his last real game. Once you go cellphone, it's hard to go back.

They've actually been working on the iOS game for a long time... we knew about that before we knew anything about The Last Story.

It sounds like a good concept for a casual game.

He's doing a Q&A in London at the BAFTAs HQ on the 16th.

farnham

Banned
Gooch went to Kyoto last year.

Could it be TLS 2 ?

more like expected

Celine

France should be the biggest market in Europe for JRPG.

Wazzim

Banned
Is there a Benelux online store that ships to Germany? lol

There are stores who ship to Germany but there seems to be a misunderstanding between Nintendo Benelux and the retailers.
Nintendo says that normal pre-orders are changed to Limited Editions but a dutch retailer (Nedgame) stated that it is a separate edition of the game with a higher price.

I'll report back if there is more information available.

Yagharek

Ive gone and bought this off ebay (UK LTD ED) and will probably pick up the Aus local release too. Need to support local releases of niche stuff. So far, Xenoblade and Sin & Punishment 2 are the only games Ive done this for.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
That artbook easily justifies my purchase of the game again, hopefully the dub does as well.

Is there anything in the Last Story that a big Lost Odyssey fan like myself would enjoy?
Sakaguchi is the only reason I am considering this but after my luke-warm reaction to Xenoblade, I am hesitant to buy it.

Shiggy

There recently was TV interview with Sakaguchi as he's promoting the Last Story. It was about love and he revealed that Garnet is the name of his wife, if anyone remembers that name from FF9.

Top Bottom