• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story is dated for Europe 24/2/12

Grampasso

There recently was TV interview with Sakaguchi as he's promoting the Last Story. It was about love and he revealed that Garnet is the name of his wife, if anyone has played FF9.
What's her name if someone hasn't played it?
Sorry about that :p

Shiggy

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii/the_last_story_45545.html
Website up.
The Last Story (Standard Edition)

The Last Story will be available in both standard and limited editions. The standard edition of the game includes a reversible sleeve featuring alternative artwork voted for by visitors to the Nintendo of Europe website.

The Last Story (Limited Edition)

Pre-order The Last Story to pick up a Limited Edition bundle that includes a copy of the game, a SteelBook™ storage case, The Premium Soundtrack CD and an art booklet entitled The Last Story: The Illustrations. As well as a stunning body of illustrations, this art booklet features written reflections on the game from director Hironobu Sakaguchi and concept artist Kimihiko Fujisaka. The Premium Soundtrack CD includes additional comments from Hironobu Sakaguchi and composer Nobuo Uematsu about the game's orchestral score, ensuring the Limited Edition version of The Last Story is crammed with exclusive content that fans won't want to miss.

So the limited edition does not include the reversible cover?

Voices:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii/the_last_story_45545.html#characters

hiro4

I think the Lim Ed, has everything the standard edition has + the extras.
So it is implied with the copy of the game part.

when watching the Vid, the steelbook seems to be packaged extra with the box. Since the box seems to be as thick as the Xenoblade box.

wrowa

Is there anything in the Last Story that a big Lost Odyssey fan like myself would enjoy?
Sakaguchi is the only reason I am considering this but after my luke-warm reaction to Xenoblade, I am hesitant to buy it.

What the heck has Xenoblade to do with Last Story? Both games are completely different.

Shiggy

Nah, you can't fit a regular Amaray plastic case in a steelbook.

Didn't know that, the Wii games usually don't have steelbooks so I never bought one ;)
But I assume that there'll be a normal case too as the package is quite thick and the LE video shows a normal, "multi-national" game case too, whereas the standard edition is only for single markets. (I hope you get what I mean, otherwise I'll take pictures)

Edit: Yes, a normal game case is included. The cover in the LE says "Not for resale".

You're taking pictures of what exactly? Do you have the game already? :p

Including two game cases seems a little nonsensical, though, but I guess it's cool if you're OCD and don't want a steelbook sticking out.

Shiggy

You're taking pictures of what exactly? Do you have the game already? :p

Including two game cases seems a little nonsensical, though, but I guess it's cool if you're OCD and don't want a steelbook sticking out.

Just from the video, but then I found some official pictures.

laststory2ddohs.jpg
(Click on it to enlarge)

kunonabi

Sakaguchi uploaded a pic of the steelbook on his facebook account.

426616_3194516863026_1269086230_3265963_491080737_n.jpg

I don't really like steelbooks but this one looks pretty nice.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is this game designed for used with the Classic Controller pro?

I played through the entire game with the CC Pro. It works well. It might piss you off a little bit that almost every action is mapped to one button, though.

Ronok

It's not that bad!? But I also think that Starfox Adventures has some of the most charming voice acting.

That's ear rape? That's amazing compared to all the crap we've had over the years. You should hear the Radiant Dawn dub by NOA.

Syrenne's voice especially is god awful. I cringe just thinking about that shit. Can I assume you guys are from outside the UK?

Zornica

Banned
I guess this means no dual layer Japanese dub option like xenoblade had?

Question to those who played it more than a few hours:
is there anything to do in this city? it looks kinda empty...

Shiggy

They probably would've announced it by now. As they didn't even bother to include a 50 hz mode, they probably don't want some additional costs caused by a dual layer disc either.

So the limited edition does not include the reversible cover?

The dual covers are kinda pointless, aren't they. NoA did this right for Xeno, by putting the game logo on the back of the DVD case, while our optional covers make the games look like some kind of bootleg in the shelf, lol.

edit: dam, I usually can't stand these typical brown-greyish games currently, but I really love the looks of the city in this game and one dungeon that I've already played at an event last year. I wouldn't have minded if the characters were slightly less anime-looking, but I'll take that over hobbits and elves any day.

thefro

Question to those who played it more than a few hours:
is there anything to do in this city? it looks kinda empty...

Quite a bit to do... I believe there's around 30 sidequests in the city, plus all the shops and the Battle Arena. There are also a couple chapters that take place in locations in the city.

Can you exclude charachters from your party? Dont want to hear Syrenne voice ever again.

No, the only time you get to pick characters is for the Battle Arena and when you revisit dungeons. You have set parties dictated by the storyline going on.

Gambit

Every time someone links to that damn site I click on it and get stuck listening to the music.

Looking forward to this very much.

BTW: can people who play the game on a hacked Wii also play online?

I assume there`ll be enough Europeans for me to play with, but I am just curious.

ajim

Wheres the cheapest place to order the Limited Edition version from online at the moment? I'm an Aussie, and don't mind importing from the UK too.

The multiplayer co-op bosses are fun as hell. I probably ran those more than I played the main game. Some damn epic fights and you get to keep the gear you get for your single player game. I only wish it had more bosses or the ability to add more.

Damn, that sounds fantastic! Hype increased!

Every time someone links to that damn site I click on it and get stuck listening to the music.

I know where you're coming from...

Looking forward to this very much.

I assume there`ll be enough Europeans for me to play with, but I am just curious.

Homebrew is usually no problem.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sorry guys, but I'm a little confused.
Will the LE have both normal plastic-white case and steelbox?
Will the LE have also the reversal card cover we voted for in the official site poll?

thefro

I had no problems playing online against Japanese players with my Japanese copy of the game on my homebrewed American Wii.

Beyond the co-op which is great, the "Deathmatch" is pretty fun as well. There's 10 different maps and you can play a team game or free for all. You can play as any of your party members, plus probably a dozen enemies/bosses so there's several different "classes" to choose from, essentially. You can pick up items that drop on the map to give you an advantage (also rare items drop on the map that you can use in single player). The points you get double in the last minute of the match so I had a lot of matches where people made epic comebacks.

The mix of elements feels pretty fresh compared to anything else I've played. Melee attacks, arrows (you can pick up fire arrows, poison arrows, etc on the map), magic spells. You can block all those attacks as well.

There's also a ranking system ala Call of Duty where you level up the more you play in deathmatch/co-op, although it doesn't give you any advantage over the other players.

Dascu

The multiplayer co-op bosses are fun as hell. I probably ran those more than I played the main game. Some damn epic fights and you get to keep the gear you get for your single player game. I only wish it had more bosses or the ability to add more.

Are these unique bosses or rehashes of singleplayer bosses?

thefro

7 minutes of a video review from German Gamepro. You can hear some more of the English VA.

The Japanese version doesn't run nearly this smoothly, so I'm guessing they've fixed a good number of the framerate issues that the Japanese release had.

No split-screen, right? :(

Correct, no local multiplayer at all.

Are these unique bosses or rehashes of singleplayer bosses?

Singleplayer bosses with completely different attacks/attack patterns. They feel completely different.

Gambit

7 minutes of a video review from German Gamepro. You can hear some more of the English VA.

The Japanese version doesn't run nearly this smoothly, so I'm guessing they've fixed a good number of the framerate issues that the Japanese release had.

If they really fixed some of the framerate issues, I am even more impressed with their localisation.

Anyway, just watched the video review. They are spoilering quite a bit in the beginning about Lisa, etc, but it might be those are early revelations. When it started getting too much, I skipped ahead a couple mins, only to be told the tactic for three different bosses. They are as bad as gametrailers!

Nevertheless, the game looks great and they are recommending it highly. I cannot wait. Till then, I will also have finished Dragon Quest IV DS, so my body is ready.

EDIT:

I had no problems playing online against Japanese players with my Japanese copy of the game on my homebrewed American Wii.

Homebrew is usually no problem.

Thank you both. Now I can start convincing American friends of mine to import the game. (And have the more likely option of playing against fellow gaffers from around the world)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good news form the video!
Sorry to ask again but: does anyone know if the LE will come with both the steelbox and the alternative cover we voted for in the european survey on the official site?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's some of the nicest quality Wii capture. How did they do it? The first scene in the tavern with the character close ups at a glance looked almost like it was CG from the game (with the window at its normal size obviously, the jaggies become evident enlarged) whereas in previous videos it was obvious that part was in game with horrible IQ. Good to see it run smooth-ish too :)

Edit: or is that part actually CG? Not as jagged as the rest footage even when enlarged... I like the English VA.

thefro

That's some of the nicest quality Wii capture. How did they do it? The first scene in the tavern with the character close ups at a glance looked almost like it was CG from the game (with the window at its normal size obviously, the jaggies become evident enlarged) whereas in previous videos it was obvious that part was in game with horrible IQ. Good to see it run smooth-ish too :)

Edit: or is that part actually CG? Not as jagged as the rest footage even when enlarged... I like the English VA.

That tavern scene is CG. Yes the capture quality is really good in that video.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ah well, I guess the other vids I saw were so bad in quality that looked in game, lol. Drunk Brit chick @ the end is funny enough.

Top Bottom