• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last Tragically Hip concert is tonight. A very bittersweet Canadian moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to miss the hip, the last time I saw them was with my wife pregnant with my little boy who's a year old now, nothing is going to be the same.

Bobcaygeon was one of my wedding songs.

T_T

bryehn

That was a great show. Top notch production. Never been a huge fan, but they put on a hell of a show. Lost it at the end of Grace, Too.

Bass guy put in work, he was into it all night.

I was trying to explain what a hip show was like to my wife and visiting parents and the band certainly didn't disappoint. I'll remember this forever.

Great job by CBC too. I loved the shot of guitar tech guy and the sound was immaculate.

Just finished watching it (because I paused for a few minutes to get drinks), and wow. I don't really know what to say, outside of God Bless you, Gord. Thank you...for everything.

I won't profess to be the world's biggest Hip fan, or the country's, but I really like their music and listen to it every time it comes on the radio. I've seen them a couple of times, if not three, at least once of which was with my late mother. That will always be a great memory, as will the time we went to see Alice Cooper and Cheap Trick at the Docks and then couldn't get a cab so we walked back to the ACC. En route, we mixed in with fans of The Hip who'd seen them at Fort something or other in Toronto, and we all walked together to Union.

Gord is truly Canadian. A class act, a wordsmith, a man overflowing with dignity, and a Canadian hero/icon. I teared up a couple of times, and will truly miss him when he's gone. I wish they had played The Lonely End of the Rink, as I like that song a lot for some reason, but their set list was quite strong and they played practically everything I wanted to hear.

New Orleans has always kind of been my favourite, along with My Music at Work.

It was hard watching, knowing that he's ill, and that my Mom dealt with pretty much the same thing. It brought back memories of hospital visits, radiation days, etc.

I have been repeating Courage for the last few days on Spotify. It's such a great song. There are so many fantastic songs that this Band has put out in the course of 30 years. It's simply incredible.

Absolutely amazing concert, even if it had more endings than Return of the King. I'm not that big of a Tragically Hip fan, but like one of the posters above me, I would listen to them when they came on the radio, and knew most of the songs played during the concert from there. I also have the "Yer Favourites" album, which I've listened to once or twice.

It was amazing to see, and I feel it will truly go down as a moment in history. I was tearing up and my eyes got wet several times, especially at the end of "Grace, Too". The emotion, and all those moments where it looked like Gord was tearing up, it certainly was an emotional farewell. Since I was "Tired as Fuck" I didn't stick around for the post-concert CBC talk. It was certainly a concert that I'm not going to forget anytime soon.

My favourite Hip song is probably "Bobcaygeon"; I love it's mellowness, and the images it invokes of being out in the country, alone and at peace, watching the night sky above in a blissful quietness.

What are your guys' favourites?

My favourite Hip song is probably "Bobcaygeon"; I love it's mellowness, and the images it invokes of being out in the country, alone and at peace, watching the night sky above in a blissful quietness.

Courage, my first Hip song I remember. Back in the heady days of YTV top 30(?).

My absolute favourite, now, which has usurped New Orleans over the years is 50 Mission Cap. But I love a lot of their songs, including:

New Orleans is Sinking
Music at Work
Bobcaygeon
The Lonely End of the Rink
Ahead by a Century

Courage is great, too, as is Wheat Kings...and others.

gabbo

They played Locked in the Trunk of a Car, which is my favourite Hip track among a sea of awesome Hip tracks and I was happy.

That's a hell of a [possibly] last show. Not one I'll forget and I watched it mostly alone in my room until my girlfriend got home and joined me. God what I wouldn't give for a Man Machine Poem tour bluray
Did think they'd go out with Fully Completely though, but Ahead by A Century is probably the better end song, has more of a group sing-along vibe.

Bobcaygeon
Courage
50 Mission Cap
In View
Ahead By a Century
Wheat Kings
My Music at Work

calder

Nautical Disaster
Blow at High Dough
Grace, Too
Wheat Kings
Courage
38 Years Old
Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Little Bones
Highway Girl (live)

Wow that's hard.

Oppo

so I actually got to talk to Gord once. it was at a party, in ... 1998, I think? he was friends with the owner of the company I was working at.

my sister was a gigantic fan and I had to call her at one point just to rub it in ... playfully. (cell phones were still pretty new so this was its own novelty).

anyways, I was determined to not act the idiotic fan and so I decided that I would weasel myself into a conversation but under no circumstances would I mention the band or anything. we ended up hanging out for about a half hour talking about climate change. he was taller than I expected, very soft spoken, very engaged. just a cool dude. he knew what I was doing but he let me prattle on anyways. I like to think he appreciated the weird "gesture" of not fawning. told me to look him up in cottage country if I ever wanted to come hang out. I never did of course but he just seemed really genuine.

he is a cool guy. I feel honored to have shared a moment, however brief.

Cranster

Banned
This was posted on the bands facebook page.

o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-GORD-DOWNIE-570.jpg

It's pretty symbolic of today's event.

mf.luder

I can't get over how incredible scared was. His look on "live a long long while" and "it's been a pleasure doing business with you". Really glad I tuned in.

calder

so I actually got to talk to Gord once. it was at a party, in ... 1998, I think? he was friends with the owner of the company I was working at.

my sister was a gigantic fan and I had to call her at one point just to rub it in ... playfully. (cell phones were still pretty new so this was its own novelty).

anyways, I was determined to not act the idiotic fan and so I decided that I would weasel myself into a conversation but under no circumstances would I mention the band or anything. we ended up hanging out for about a half hour talking about climate change. he was taller than I expected, very soft spoken, very engaged. just a cool dude. he knew what I was doing but he let me prattle on anyways. I like to think he appreciated the weird "gesture" of not fawning. told me to look him up in cottage country if I ever wanted to come hang out. I never did of course but he just seemed really genuine.

he is a cool guy. I feel honored to have shared a moment, however brief.

That's pretty damn awesome.

I believe my friend's Dad got the contract to do roofing at one of his homes. I was told that, but didn't hear any of the follow-up.

bathsalts

Locked in the Trunk of a Car
At The 100th Meridian
Highway Girl(Double Suicide Live version)
The Darkest One
Twist My arm
Wheat Kings

Was always a pretty big fan growing up, they were constant for me in high school, there were a lot of times I can remember just being smashed off my rocker at 3am with a friend and we'd be singing their songs coming home from a party or something. It was always a band that could bring out a certain mood, it was like Floyd for getting high and the Hip was for drinking.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I missed the first half hour while I was on the way back from work, but I caught the rest of it at home. If it hadn't been right after work I might have been tempted to go to one of the public showings downtown but my feet were killing me. Ended up catching the rest of the concert with my parents instead. Neither of them are really fans of the Hip, but something like this is just such a big event that they watched the whole thing anyway.

I have been repeating Courage for the last few days on Spotify. It's such a great song. There are so many fantastic songs that this Band has put out in the course of 30 years. It's simply incredible.

Can we all stop and consider the stunning body of work and the cultural significance it's had. When I hear The Hip I see Canada.

I regret not driving to Kingston today, my bro called me early afternoon told me to come up and hang out in downtown, I kinda just lazied out....Damn it, should've gone!!

So nice to see Canadian Gaf's love and memories of (listening) to the Hip

gabbo

Take it to the bank that this will one day be released on dvd. No doubt people recorded it and will be online like now somewhere.

Just to confirm, because I wanted to see for myself, it is indeed online in the usual places if you search for the band's name.

ElNino

Nautical Disaster
Long Time Running
Three Pistols
New Orleans Is Sinking
Scared
Grace, Too
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Fiddler's Green
Wheat Kings
My Music At Work

Just trying to make this list is hard as there are so many amazing Hip songs that I remember so well from when I was younger. I'm more familiar with their pre-2000s stuff (Music @ Work included though), but even listening to their more recent albums now they really didn't drop off which is what has made them such an amazing band. To consistently put out great music for almost 30 years is a great feat.

Edit: Just loaded Yer Favourites and listening to Long Time Running and getting goose bumps. I was hoping they would play it but at least CBC used it for the post show credits.

subrock

Just catching up on the performance today and holy shit what a national moment. I didn't watch Terry Fox run, but I can only imagine that this is what it felt like. Gord is a fucking treasure. Fuck cancer.

jstripes

Banned
It's fun seeing the American reaction to this:

"What the hell is going on in Canada? I've never even heard of this band. I thought Rush was Canada's favorite band."

shira

It's fun seeing the American reaction to this:

"What the hell is going on in Canada? I've never even heard of this band. I thought Rush was Canada's favorite band."

I'm Canadian and I have no clue who they are. You could put a gun to my head and I could not tell you a song or line.

They were pre-Internet generation so unless you were playing Canadian radio I'm sure there is a whole generation of people who have no clue who they are. The story is absolutely amazing though. What a finale.

#fuckcancer

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder when we'll get viewing numbers for this. My Facebook feed was nearly 100℅ Hip focused last night and this morning.

I'm Canadian and I have no clue who they are. You could put a gun to my head and I could not tell you a song or line.

They were pre-Internet generation so unless you were playing Canadian radio I'm sure there is a whole generation of people who have no clue who they are. The story is absolutely amazing though. What a finale.

#fuckcancer

A whole generation? Nah

They've been around post internet dude

Kieli

#fuckcancer

I've heard them on the radio a couple of times in the 90s, but never knew who they were.

Atenhaus

I'm not Canadian, but a good portion of my family lives in BC and I only live 1 1/2 hours away from the border. My family members who watched it loved the concert and definitely teared up. I've never been the biggest The Hip fan, but I hope to watch their final show somehow.

Also, when Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neal Peart pass, I'm gonna be a fucking wreck.

ElNino

#fuckcancer
I've heard them on the radio a couple of times in the 90s, but never knew who they were.
This seems so strange to me, but I couldn't name you a single song from Drake either so maybe it all balances out.

Also calling them pre-Internet generation is selling them short considering they were still touring and releasing albums into 2016.

darscot

Ah back in the day loading Up To Hear to Trouble in the Henhouse in my 5 disk changer and just hitting random. Concert was so bitter sweet. If you have never heard them they are very much worth a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom