• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The latest Middle Earth Shadow of War trailer captures the true spirit of Tolkien

Someone definitely put this together for a laugh, showed it to a colleague who then said "This is brilliant! Put it on our Youtube channel ASAP!"

It's just a bit of fun, no harm done... not with this anyway.

NastyBook

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

I was all over this when they announced it, but since then they have gone out of their way to make me fucking despise it. WB's handling of this game has been tone-deaf from the outset.
Same. I laughed when they announced the $300 Collector's Edition, but was still on team Day One. Then Jim Sterling did the show on their new microtransactions, and now I'm on Team mid 2018 Flash Sale.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
giphy.gif

Raven77

I just don't understand their goal here. As in, who are they targeting? People who love Tolkiens works and LOTR, even if they like hip hop, etc. probably don't want them mixed. I'm trying to understand the marketing thought process and can only assume they are aiming for that "I buy 2 video games a year and one is ALWAYS Call of Duty" crowd. Idk, I have no idea.

felipe-e-m-vieira-hqdefault.jpg

Fliesen

i'm still day-one on this game, but all the pre-release shenanigans are seriously souring me on that. I hate to know my purchase will feel like validation to this marketing atrocity.

Toni

Unbievable clusterf*ck.

Not only is the gameplay looking like a janky mess with egregious animations, but they don't really have the capabity to envision and encompass what tolkien actually wanted for his fantasy series.

With so many open world fantasy video games that have taken several cues from tolkiens creation, Monolith should be at the forefront setting the example on how to do fantasy open world right.

They are not even near close to that.

Peter Jackson even with all his faults, is the only being that has done Tolkien's material justice. And that was in movie format.

Haunted

First the FFXV business, now this. Today has been a tough day in the eternal battle of art vs product, creative vs marketing, optimism vs cynicism.

Basically, fuck videogames.

I just don't understand their goal here. As in, who are they targeting? People who love Tolkiens works and LOTR, even if they like hip hop, etc. probably don't want them mixed. I'm trying to understand the marketing thought process and can only assume they are aiming for that "I buy 2 video games a year and one is ALWAYS Call of Duty" crowd. Idk, I have no idea.

felipe-e-m-vieira-hqdefault.jpg

It should be painfully obvious that they are not targeting fans of Tolkien.

They keep doing despicable things so of course people are going to hate it.

What is despicable about this exactly?

Ralemont

not me
At this point I think they should just go full parody. Saints Row LOTR is actually a pretty good pitch for a fantasy world people usually think of as sacred text or some bullshit.

Calibos

Not sure how to interpret this on many levels.

That being said, I suppose if they just tried to appeal to Tolkien fans only, the game wouldn't sell as much as it could if they appeal to every facet of pop culture...I guess. maybe?

Ugggh.

To be honest, nothing about the franchise so far as been particularly faithful to Tolkien's vision so why start now? At least this is more fun and probably actually closer to the spirit of the game than some generic doom and darkness trailer they'd get out of focusing on the story.

To be honest, nothing about the franchise so far as been particularly faithful to Tolkien's vision so why start now? At least this is more fun and probably actually closer to the spirit of the game than some generic doom and darkness trailer they'd get out of focusing on the story.
Exactly

If you played the first game, then it should be clear as day that Monolith just wanted to make an orc murdering simulator. They could not give any shits about crafting another Tolkien story or respecting its origins or whatever.

Everything we have seen about SoW looks to be following in the same steps. This trailer hardly feels tonally out of wack. If anything, that's much more what the game is about.

J_Viper

Some of you really need to lighten the fuck up lol

It's sad to see anyone get this protective of a billion dollar franchise

Toni

At this point I think they should just go full parody. Saints Row LOTR is actually a pretty good pitch for a fantasy world people usually think of as sacred text or some bullshit.

Its not that its sacred or the bullshit.

Have you read The Silmarion?

That Tolkien was gifted with a fuckton of creativity. He had a vision for fantasy and could write a book like no other.

He was the man that made elves and magic famous.

Ralemont

not me

That Tolkien was gifted with a fuckton of creativity. He had a vision for fantasy and could write a book like no other.

Yes, I've read the Silmarillion (which is an awful book, btw, despite filling in a lot of great lore) and am a pretty big LOTR fan. I'm just saying that I'd totally be down for someone going all out and making fun of LOTR if they aren't going to be faithful to it.

Tcab96

They're not rounding his books up and burning them en masse, though.

Raven77

It should be painfully obvious that they are not targeting fans of Tolkien.

Okay, so why make it based on Tolkiens material? This is why people find it "despicable". They are taking something that is beloved by millions of people and turning it into something that it wasn't meant to be, and should never be.

At this point, I hope the game does just poor enough to not warrant a sequel, but good enough to keep the IP viable. I want a deep LOTR rpg with a huge over world to explore.

WB is really making its best effort to dissuade me from buying a game I am very interested in playing after the original.

I guess this is the result of WB's largest marketing budget for an individual game ever.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly

If you played the first game, then it should be clear as day that Monolith just wanted to make an orc murdering simulator. They could not give any shits about crafting another Tolkien story or respecting its origins or whatever.

Everything we have seen about SoW looks to be following in the same steps.

Which is fair enough. But then I wonder, why use the LoTR setting at all if that's the case?

If they're not trying to pull in Tolkien fans, if they're not even the least bit interested in doing that, then why set the game in Tolkien's world at all?

Seems like a complete waste of the setting to me.

Top Bottom