• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lazarus' Pit jump in The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
IjqxR.jpg

I always felt this was the weakest element of the TDKR's plot (not Talia's forced subplot). They have a long rope, and they have material from the prison cells also available (clothes, utensil, even wood). Couldn't they have easily used the rope to escape the pit? Climb to the ledge where you make the jump, throw the rope over the well using a makeshift hook and climb out.

Secondly, if you fail the jump and you start to freefall with the rope attached to your waist, shouldnt you be cut in half from the weight of your body? This is especially crazy considering that Bruce just got his vertebrae fixed.

Sorry this part bothered me the most during a re-watched for some reason (it always did, but especially more now) and I needed to vent.

Yeah I said the same thing but the music and cinematography saves it for me.

I also wondered why the hell did they keep the ridges there... wouldn't they know people would try to escape kinda like
Talia
did?

That scene is so anticlimactic too. I thought that due to the distance that Bruce would have to wall kick or something to get the extra distance. You know, something a trained ninja could potentially do.

Instead he just... jumps a little farther.

Atilac

I found it odd batman was motivated by a bunch of rapists and child molesters in some hole in the ground.

J_Viper

Yeah I said the same thing but the music and cinematography saves it for me.

Same here. It's silly on paper but I think Nolan made it work.

It does feel a bit rushed though. I've never read Knightfall, but isn't Bruce supposed to be out of the game for a good long while after having his back broken?

Here, it seems like Bale just did a few push-ups and he was good to go.

Mariolee

It does feel a bit rushed though. I've never read Knightfall, but isn't Bruce supposed to be out of the game for a good long while after having his back broken?

IIRC he was gone for nearly half a year.

Yeah it took a while and he was doing Bruce Wayne shit from a wheel chair. He's saved (comic spoilers)
by a black woman who can heal with magic. She dies shortly after so she can't be a dues ex machina anymore.

massoluk

Banned
The Lazarus Pit concept was the worst part of the otherwise good movie. I wonder who came up with that nonsense, Goyer or the Nolans. Here's a prison... it's an unguarded pit with tv in the cell and resident bone doctor. We throw our arch-nemesis in there and don't keep track of him. Such an assault on logics even for a movie with a guy dressed like a bat.

Merguson

Banned
That scene is so anticlimactic too. I thought that due to the distance that Bruce would have to wall kick or something to get the extra distance. You know, something a trained ninja could potentially do.

Instead he just... jumps a little farther.

Wasn't the problem the rope though? I thought the rope was too short so people couldn't make the jump. Only did Bruce make the jump when he ditched the safety of the rope. At least that's what I remember.

S1kkZ

i hated the fact the every cop gets trapped underground. they sit there for weeks and when batman frees them, they all look super clean. also: no beards.

Alienous

i hated the fact the every cop gets trapped underground. they sit there for weeks and when batman frees them, they all look super clean. also: no beards.

There's a deleted scene regarding that.

"No more bearded cops!"
"Ahh, the beard revolution rises. Get these men their shavers"

LakeEarth

Yup, every cop. Every single one. Not a single police officer was left behind to, you know, man the Police stations, to respond to 911 calls, or guard the jails. Nope, they all left their posts to go underground.

zma1013

I imagine through the writing of this script, they said this to themselves quite often, "Aww fuck it, who cares if it makes sense, lets just get it done, we have a deadline."

Nothing in the movie made any sense. If you actually sit and critically think about any part of that movie it falls apart.

Best part is wondering how Bane somehow got cable TV with the GNN channel hooked up to a Television literally on the other side of the world in a prison deep underground where no satellite reception is possible.

Normally I wouldn't care but this is Chris "Ultra-Realism" Nolan so it deserves scrutiny.

Oh, and Catwoman fighting in high heels. FFS.

Kinyou

Nolan really did a bad job of setting up that rope. I remember being really confused where it actually was attached to.

zma1013

Best part is wondering how Bane somehow got cable TV with the GNN channel hooked up to a Television literally on the other side of the world in a prison deep underground where no satellite reception is possible.

Normally I wouldn't care but this is Chris "Ultra-Realism" Nolan so it deserves scrutiny.

I'm trying to imagine Bane on the phone talking to Time Warner Cable support. Lmao

Bane: "I can't understand what you're saying, can I talk to someone with less of an accent?"

Alienous

I imagine through the writing of this script, they said this to themselves quite often, "Aww fuck it, who cares if it makes sense, lets just get it done, we have a deadline."

They shouldn't have let him make Inception before The Dark Knight Rises.

Wasn't the problem the rope though? I thought the rope was too short so people couldn't make the jump. Only did Bruce make the jump when he ditched the safety of the rope. At least that's what I remember.
No it wasn't the length of the rope. You ditch the rope to signal that you are psychologically confident to make the jump and don't need a safety net. That's when you make the jump successfully.

Hathaway didnt even play Catwoman. Just a random thief that dressed in a leather suit. Then again, that was only one of the many glaring issues with that hot mess of a movie.

You can blame Nolan for what you consider a bad Catwoman, not Hathaway, who gave a perfectly fine performance. She also had nothing to do with the messy storytelling or other characterizations one could nit-pick to death, or how anti-climatic the villains turned out to be.

It had far bigger problems.

Well usually I'm pretty good at nitpicking and this never even crossed my mind smh

People pinning this lame movie on Anne Hathaway is bullshit. Her scenes/dialogue were probably some of the better parts of the entire film.

Nolan should take the blame. TDKR felt like he knew no matter what he did there was no topping TDK so he took the safest route possible, teased some major characters just for hype & threw in some stupid twists/scenes he hoped blew the audience away.

It didn't work. But then again I also heard he took Heath's death very hard so I can't imagine even wanting to do another Batman after what took place.

6.5/10

Sorcerer

Hathaway was the best part of the movie.

I would take her in a solo movie over DKR anyday.

I seriously think Nolan couldn't stop thinking about Interstellar and just wanted to wrap this as quickly as possible. Sloppy!!!

I kind of think his Robin thing at the end was an F you to the fans, he teased it but didn't have to deal with it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Joker: I THINK YOU AND I ARE DESTINED TO DO THIS FOREVER!

(Bruce immediately retires as Batman the next day)

(Joker is neither seen nor heard from again)

Jarmel

Banned
There's a lot of logistical stuff that drags down TDKR. It feels like Nolan's heart wasn't really into it but he still somewhat tried.

Karkador

Banned
Also, FWIW, repurposing the concept of the Lazarus Pit (which IMO is a really annoying part of the Batman canon) into a prison obstacle course was an interesting idea, but poorly executed in the movie.

The jump especially fails as a climatic turning point of Bale's blank and barren characterization of Bruce Wayne. It came off as a jump and nothing more, despite what that whole thing was supposed to mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom