• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lazarus' Pit jump in The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Also, FWIW, repurposing the concept of the Lazarus Pit (which IMO is a really annoying part of the Batman canon) into a prison obstacle course was an interesting idea, but poorly executed in the movie.

The jump especially fails as a climatic turning point of Bale's blank and barren characterization of Bruce Wayne. It came off as a jump and nothing more, despite what that whole thing was supposed to mean.

Yea I just rewatched the scene and the camera work is especially lacking. A first person or over the shoulder shot would have been particularly more effective.

Pau

Hathaway didnt even play Catwoman. Just a random thief that dressed in a leather suit. Then again, that was only one of the many glaring issues with that hot mess of a movie.
Nolan's Selina Kyle had more to do with the comic version than Burton's at least.

I can't believe I'm defending Nolan in a Batman thread.

Raptor

Bruce doesnt even take a few steps to gain inertia, he just jumps.

If it were real life his ass would be dead on the bottom of that pit.

massoluk

Banned
Joker: I THINK YOU AND I ARE DESTINED TO DO THIS FOREVER!

(Bruce immediately retires as Batman the next day)

(Joker is neither seen nor heard from again)

Sadly, I blame Heath Ledger's death. No one with the right mind and good taste would follow up with the Joker after his death and posthumous Oscar.

Still no excuse for the obvious treasure trove for Honest Trailer. At least we'll always have Deshi Deshi Basara Basara Deshi Deshi Basara Basara Deshi Deshi Basara Basara Deshi Basara Deshi Basara

MisterHero

I just thought about this

Why didn't the prisoners use the prison bars to cut climbing grips in the wall instead of jumping

Sephzilla

Joker: I THINK YOU AND I ARE DESTINED TO DO THIS FOREVER!

(Bruce immediately retires as Batman the next day)

(Joker is neither seen nor heard from again)

I think it goes without saying that Ledger dying torpedoed what Nolan wanted to actually do with a third Batman movie. I also think Ledger's death really took the wind out of Nolan's sails in regards to doing another Batman, which probably explains why Dark Knight Rises feels so sloppy compared to Begins and TDK. Rises just felt like it had no energy or drive behind it.

cpbfS.jpg

That was the worst part.

wut

Our crowd went wild at this part. What was bad about it?

BriGuy

"It's the worst place on earth...

Where we just kind mill around and shoot the shit, maybe even try to escape cuz there's no one stopping us... this one guy even has a tv!"

wut

Our crowd went wild at this part. What was bad about it?

It took Bats how many hours to get that shit ready?

Hours he could've spent, oh I don't know, rescuing the cops and stopping Bane?

To say NOTHING of how it completely destroyed the element of surprise he had going for him.

SJRB

Gold Member
A nuke is slowly ticking down to zero in Gotham City, best use that time wisely by putting a giant bat symbol on a bridge instead of actually finding the bomb!

I've come to the realization that TDKR favors blunt symbolism over common sense and logic.

It's a movie that is very heavy-handed on themes, concepts and symbolism, and trades in every day logic to deliver that message.

The Lazarus Pit sequence is filled with stuff that's really nice, thematically, but makes zero sense. Bruce Wayne's broken back, prisoners having seemingly endless oppertunities to make the climb, all sorts of stuff that makes it feel like some sort of purgatory, more than a real-life situation.

TDKR is a weird movie.

Sephzilla

I've come to the realization that TDKR favors blunt symbolism over common sense and logic.

It's a movie that is very heavy-handed on themes, concepts and symbolism, and trades in every day logic to deliver that message.

The Lazarus Pit sequence is filled with stuff that's really nice, thematically, but makes zero sense. Bruce Wayne's broken back, prisoners having seemingly endless oppertunities to make the climb, all sorts of stuff that makes it feel like some sort of purgatory, more than a real-life situation.

TDKR is a weird movie.

I think it's safer to call TDKR a lazy movie, at least by Chris Nolan standards.

A nuke is slowly ticking down to zero in Gotham City, best use that time wisely by putting a giant bat symbol on a bridge instead of actually finding the bomb!

It took Bats how many hours to get that shit ready?

Hours he could've spent, oh I don't know, rescuing the cops and stopping Bane?

To say NOTHING of how it completely destroyed the element of surprise he had going for him.

He had time to get his Jet Set Radio on while the whole city was suffering

The long answer is that it was a way of psyching out or intimidating a mob of enemies who thought they had destroyed you.

Short answer is it looked cool as fuck and was a hero moment.

In a movie where long spells of travel are handwaved away or not explained at all, the concern over the amount of time spent to put up the symbol is pretty silly. This guy has a fucking flying bat jet. You really think he set up scaffolding and shit over hours and hours to get it sprayed in the right shape?

Maybe there's a deleted scene of him typing ">RUN NAPALMBATSYMBOL.EXE" into his jet and it sprays it in a matter of seconds.

There are so many *actual* issues with the movie to get upset about, this moment being the "worst" is flabbergasting to me.

The long answer is that it was a way of psyching out or intimidating a mob of enemies who thought they had destroyed you.

Short answer is it looked cool as fuck and was a hero moment.

In a movie where long spells of travel are handwaved away or not explained at all, the concern over the amount of time spent to put up the symbol is pretty silly. This guy has a fucking flying bat jet. You really think he set up scaffolding and shit over hours and hours to get it sprayed in the right shape?

Maybe there's a deleted scene of him typing ">RUN NAPALMBATSYMBOL.EXE" into his jet and it sprays it in a matter of seconds.

There are so many *actual* issues with the movie to get upset about, this moment being the "worst" is flabbergasting to me.
You put to words what I always had in mind. The third reason is the bat symbol inspired hope to the gothamites and showed that Batman is back. It inspired that police dude to come out of hiding in his home and lead the police against Bane's things. It had rewards and was more than just a cool symbol.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think it's safer to call TDKR a lazy movie, at least by Chris Nolan standards.

I hesitate to use the word lazy because man, making movies is hard work on every level

But if we can clarify it to mean "intellectually lazy" while still acknowledging how much people involved worked their asses off

Man, there is some lazy shit in this movie. In a really weird way too. Like, this movie feels 2 passes in editing away from any other Nolan movie, there are shots and cuts that are just baffling. Bad, but bad in ways that make you go "how did this make it in?"

SJRB

Gold Member
You put to words what I always had in mind. The third reason is the bat symbol inspired hope to the gothamites and showed that Batman is back. It inspired that police dude to come out of hiding in his home and lead the police against Bane's things. It had rewards and was more than just a cool symbol.

A man who got killed in the streets purely because Gordon wanted him to be there. Him being there had zero effect on the outcome, he literally came to die, leaving a wife and kids.

But no, Nolan had to show that Batman symbolizes "hope", so this guy sees the burning bat symbol and decides to come in his full police ceremonial outfit and walks to the frontline of the fray only to end up getting ran over by a Tumbler. He didn't inspire the other cops, he didn't act as a leader, nothing. There was no redemption for this character who has been acting like an asshole the entire movie for no reason. There is no reward, no payoff to his character arc [if you can even call it that].

Another example of Nolan choosing blunt symbolism over common sense. That entire brawl sequence made zero sense. I mean, they went into the tunnels fully armed, where the fuck did all their guns go? Just one of probably twenty questions anyone could ask.

And Gordon has a lot of blood on his hands.

the ending scene, the best of the film, feels like the only thing nolan fully envisioned for this series that came out of the third film. everything else was full of awesome ideas but needed another run through on the script for sure.

you compare this muddled movie to the super tight TDK and it's night and day imo.

FStop7

Banned
Nobody looked like they wanted to be there. Ledger's death really broke their hearts.

The entire thing felt phoned in out of a sense of obligation to complete the trilogy.

SoulUnison

Banned
I still can't watch these scenes without hearing the chanting as:

"This is AWESOME! AWESOME! This is AWESOME! AWESOME!"

Like it's a prison full of frat boys.

A man who got killed in the streets purely because Gordon wanted him to be there. Him being there had zero effect on the outcome, he literally came to die, leaving a wife and kids.

But no, Nolan had to show that Batman symbolizes "hope", so this guy sees the burning bat symbol and decides to come in his full police ceremonial outfit and walks to the frontline of the fray only to end up getting ran over by a Tumbler. He didn't inspire the other cops, he didn't act as a leader, nothing.

Another example of Nolan choosing blunt symbolism over common sense. That entire brawl sequence made zero sense.

And Gordon has a lot of blood on his hands.
Well he died fighting thugs as a hero instead of hiding like a coward while his city crumbled to ashes. I'm not going to say he died like a punk bitch because even if he did it wasn't on his knees. The point is there were many more people like him who gave up hope. Keep in mind that Robin never gave up up. He kept or tried to keep it alive by chalking the bat symbol on walls. The fire bat symbol was the culmination of that. It symbolized the fact that Batman is a hero and he inspired hope and courage once he returned.

The rope was the issue imo. If you watch this video when his first jump fails, the rope is very snug by the time he reaches the top. Because of that it makes the jump harder. This makes logical sense because there's no damn fairy dust that made Talia's and Bruce's jump easier. No rope = more freedom to jump. Plus Fear!
*coughmoviesymbolicbullshit*

https://youtu.be/sZmvQ5Qc9Rs?t=40s

cpbfS.jpg

That was the worst part.

Batman wanted to give Gotham hope. The balls to fight back. It worked because officer Foley grew a pair and lead the army.
And died. =(

Plus he already pointed out finding the bomb would be pointless when there is a random trigger man/woman out there. Now the fact Batman couldn't use his detective skills to figure that out is bullshit. But with all the chaos it's easy to forgive.

Anything revolving Talia is the worse part of the TDKR.

The movie is just so broad strokes with the story it's like Nolan was much more concerned with the subtext. What the Pit is to Bruce, the symbol of the bat returning in a blaze to Gotham.

It's jarring, especially compared to Begins, which went to great lengths to contend with the logistics of Batman, even if with comic book esque explanations.

Still a pretty good flick IMO. Good end to an actual trilogy that doesn't completely shit the bed.

G_Berry

Banned
IIRC he was gone for nearly half a year.
That's the movies biggest problem. All it need was a few subtitles "6 months later" for example and all would be good.

There's no feeling of time passing in this movie, Look! There's Bruce in Gotham again! Same goes for how long the cops are trapped.

Such a mess.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yup, every cop. Every single one. Not a single police officer was left behind to, you know, man the Police stations, to respond to 911 calls, or guard the jails. Nope, they all left their posts to go underground.

this is where the movie completely broke for me

I couldn't take anything else seriously after that point

Dali

i hated the fact the every cop gets trapped underground. they sit there for weeks and when batman frees them, they all look super clean. also: no beards.
The west side story cops with sticks versus terrorists with guns fight at the end was worse. They all line up on opposing sides and instead of getting mowed down by the bad guys they have a cartoon like brawl? I think more people were hurt in Michael Jackson's "Bad" video.

YourMaster

Prisons simply can't exist without guards. Even Alcatraz would have been empty within a week if prisoners were allowed to do whatever they wanted.

No need to do a death jump when you're locked up for decades, you've got time to grind out new footholds in the rock with all the tools you can slowly make from all metal stuff you've got down there.
You could even start to slowly raise the floor by digging out the walls.

Bruce doesnt even take a few steps to gain inertia, he just jumps.

If it were real life his ass would be dead on the bottom of that pit.

Boy we're gonna talk about what would happen "in real life" in a...comic book film.

In real life Batman dies from a random dude with a gun shooting him because he's a fucking goofball trying to beat up criminals with his hands and weird experimental gadgets.

Plot holes and leaps in character logic are fair game but arguing about what would "actually happen" seems really misguided and silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom