• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary.

30 years and I'm still hyped for it :)

tumblr_ng5c1gluf11qfs9zoo4_400.gif

link-jump.gif

link%20battle.gif

2807119-4999165614-xvdxz.gif

hd-remasters-new-smash-bros-characters-and-zelda-wii-u-nintendo-direct-returns-with-a-d-710400.gif

ps: I hope NOA releases DS's VC : phantom and spirit track

Know what engine Nintendo uses?

More than likely a modified version of the Skyward Sword engine, which was most likely a modified version of the Wind Waker engine, which I believe was the same as the Super Mario Sunshine engine.

All in-house.

So your saying if I got Nintendo house it's mine?

MisterHero

More than likely a modified version of the Skyward Sword engine, which was most likely a modified version of the Wind Waker engine, which I believe was the same as the Super Mario Sunshine engine.

All in-house.
It's all descended from the Almighty Super Mario 64 engine.

behold your god.

I might be wrong

-shadow-

It's all descended from the Almighty Super Mario 64 engine.

behold your god.

I might be wrong
No you're right. The SM64 engine was modified for OOT and it evolved from there all the way to today. It's a really interesting engine evolution. It's really fun how most Zelda games have information left overs from the game before it.

Feffe

No you're right. The SM64 engine was modified for OOT and it evolved from there all the way to today. It's a really interesting engine evolution. It's really fun how most Zelda games have information left overs from the game before it.
Does WW use SM64/OoT/MM engine?

-shadow-

Does WW use SM64/OoT/MM engine?
It's based on that/those engines but heavily modified for use with the GC for obvious reasons. A couple of games from that era share very similar testing/debugging rooms (OOT/SMS/WW/SM64DS which point to that they're probably connected. Majora's Mask even shares a near identical room with OOT, but I couldn't find a better picture of it. It's even ported over in Majora's Mask 3D!

Kjellson

I have been watching a lot of Zelda Wii U videos today and I reeeeally hope we'll get a new Direct soon with more footage.

My hype is up the roof!

Wray

The Legend of Zelda on NES remains my favorite video game of all time and is the reason I'm passionate about this medium.

Happy anniversary! Hopefully Zelda U is the start of a new direction for the franchise.

Pretty much feel exactly the same way.

Was this the first reveal of SS? I honestly cant remember if we saw footage of it before the conference. If they make us wait until this E3 for Zelda U information......

Skyward Sword was first revealed at E3 2010. AFAIK Miyamoto demoed it and the Wii Motion Plus went completely mad.

No you're right. The SM64 engine was modified for OOT and it evolved from there all the way to today.

That's actually not true. OoT runs on a modified SM64 engine and MM on modified OoT engine, yeah. But for the GameCube, Nintendo spent around a year developing a whole new engine which they used for Super Mario Sunshine, The Wind Waker and Mario Kart Double Dash. It's very likely that they modified it further for later games. After all, one of that engine's main architect was Koichi Hayashida, the director of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D Land/World.

-shadow-

It was a brand new engine completely unrelated? I thought it was still based on the SM64 engine just completely redone for the GameCube but still sharing the same backbone. Learned something new than! ^^

Skyward Sword was first revealed at E3 2010. AFAIK Miyamoto demoed it and the Wii Motion Plus went completely mad.

Yeah that demo went horribly wrong. It started out working just fine, during the demostration of the bombs it started acting really weird and when they reached the bow it became pretty much unusable.

stilgar

Taking the risk if being ridiculously cliche here, this series followed me throygh a lot of different phases in my life.

ALTTP is my childhood
OOT are my early teenage years
MM my middle teenage years
TP my transition to adulthood

My memories for each of these episodes are countless.

This series made me live thousands of adventures in my head.

Happy anniversary.

I like these games, but I don't think I'll ever love them since they're built from the ground up as kids games. Combat is a joke, health/supplies always readily apparent, making the economy and exploration less of a incentive or interesting, and the storytelling is just stuck in some weird non-functional 1998 presentation.

But I'm always interested in the new one.

Top Bottom