• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary.

Only got into it since Wind Waker but its without a doubt one of my top 3 franchises. (hard to choose!)

I have decided to replay or play a Zelda game each month. Not much that i haven't played since the first three are impossible, but I still got Oracle of Season and the single player version of Tri Force heroes to play.

Already did ALBW replay (First time on Hero) and my first playthrough of Majora's Mask. Next up is The Minish Cap Replay in March.

I just want to come to the defence of Spirit Tracks. People seemed to hate the train bits and I'll have to admit, they're the weakest and most awkward part of the whole experience, but once you master them, you're able to move on to the amazing dungeons, some of the best the series has ever produced as well as some of the cleverest and funniest lines you're ever likely to see from a character named Zelda.

Not only that, the game has what I think is the most underrated soundtrack of the whole series. The train overworld theme is up there with Dragon Roost Island and Gerudo Valley.

The Legend of Zelda on NES remains my favorite video game of all time and is the reason I'm passionate about this medium.

Happy anniversary! Hopefully Zelda U is the start of a new direction for the franchise.

I just want to come to the defence of Spirit Tracks. People seemed to hate the train bits and I'll have to admit, they're the weakest and most awkward part of the whole experience, but once you master them, you're able to move on to the amazing dungeons, some of the best the series has ever produced as well as some of the cleverest and funniest lines you're ever likely to see from a character named Zelda.

Not only that, the game has what I think is the most underrated soundtrack of the whole series. The train overworld theme is up there with Dragon Roost Island and Gerudo Valley.

Spirit Tracks is fantasic and the soundtrack made the overworld enjoyable for me. It improved upon Phantom Hourglass in pretty much every way, most importantly the recurring temple wasn't so repetitive.

Yonafunu

Good. Twilight Princess was a steaming pile of retreads. Skyward Sword on the other hand was a return to form marred by dodgy design decisions. The less Aonuma has hands on the development, the better.

Eeeeh, he may be less directly hands on, but he's just as involved as always. He still has control over the big ideas and general direction of the game.

Kevin

My problem with Skywards Sword is that the world more or less wasn't connected. You had to drop down into areas. That whole game was a massive disappointment for me and easily the weakest of the 3D Zeldas. I am excited for the new game because from the tiny bit we have seen and heard from it, it looks grand.

I bought a Wii U at launch just for the new Zelda and it's been so many years waiting and we still barely know much about it and have only seen a bit of the field. I guess it's a good thing they are seemingly putting huge effort into the game but I really wish they would show it off. Been dying to see more...

Kevin

Hey Nintendo, how about give us a new video clip for Zelda U to celebrate the 30th anniversary? :)

Is Nintendo doing anything to celebrate? They had lots of stuff during the 25th anniversary and I had no idea the 30th was upon us outside of this thread. Seems weird that they aren't doing anything at all to celebrate...

Is Nintendo doing anything to celebrate? They had lots of stuff during the 25th anniversary and I had no idea the 30th was upon us outside of this thread. Seems weird that they aren't doing anything at all to celebrate...
Nothing so far. I'm pretty bummed actually. I don't want to have to wait for Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors to both be re-released for them to start celebrating and finally hyping Zelda 2016 but it looks like that's going to be the case. Honestly, I just hope it will be worth all the waiting. I became a fan of the franchise in 2010 after playing Spirit Tracks, then got a 3DS for OoT, then played every other game in the franchise and I didn't have to wait for Skyward Sword. This is the first Zelda game I've anticipated for the entirety of the development cycle and it's really hard.

Nintendo is so hush hush right now. I really want to know what they have prepared to celebrate.

Good. Twilight Princess was a steaming pile of retreads. Skyward Sword on the other hand was a return to form marred by dodgy design decisions. The less Aonuma has hands on the development, the better.

Twilight Princess was at least a retread of material that for many players would have been new.

Skyward Sword retreads its own material.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
hSnWxmU.jpg

DOPQx6n.jpg

THIS IS THE YEAR*

it's not necessarily the year

fb6.jpg

YourMaster

You shouldn't. Phantom Hourglass already wasn't a good Zelda game, but I completed it twice. I really couldn't force myself to do Spirit Tracks. Yes the trains are truly horrible, but it's not like the rest is acceptable. Horrible atmosphere, the flute playing, everything. Not to mention you can't even get out of the train.
I have to admit, I can't comment on the dungeons, I don't even remember them and haven't played them all.

EhoaVash

Love the 3d Zelda games. They're all pretty unique and different. Each has something its great in but also a bit flawed like wind waker lacking in good dungeons but nailing the visuals and npc / vice versa for twilight princess. Skyward sword had again TP's great dungeon design and wind waker's list of great npc. But had problem with how it handled its overworld and too much recycling of same-y areas due to hub world ish design.

But still these are amazing games, held to the highest standard cause it's fucking Zelda.

Can't wait for Zelda u.

Apt101

Cmon NX with the new Zelda as a launch title. Spring. I believe in you Nintendo.

Really though, it doesn't seem that long ago I was a little kid exploring Hyrule on the NES, thrilled to find a boomerang upgrade or different colored clothes.

I may agree with you that Skyward is better than Twilight, but Skyward was 1/3 of a game repeated 3x. There is so much repetition that, by the end, I hated it so much.

Twilight did have Midna though... So, uh, maybe it is better.

Laputa_94

I've loved Zelda ever sincd I got Wind Waker on the Gamecube. I have enjoyed every one I have played since then. Maybe I should play one I haven't yet. I got Minish Cap on my Wii U maybe I'll give that a go.

kizmah

My favorite gaming franchise. Few things can compare to release of a new mainline Zelda. Right now I am hugely anticipating TP HD and that's a game I've already played. I try not to think about Zelda U, it seems so far off still.

Kevin

Nintendo in general has been really quiet. Barely anything new for 3DS and Wii U from them. I think this could be a big year with the NX stuff and Zelda and whatever else they are cooking.

I really hope the NX is something worthwhile and not to far out. If they launched a pretty powerful NX console with a superior port of Zelda then I would buy that day one. Though at this point we know very little about the NX stuff or even Zelda for that matter.

Skyward Sword was already leaked as a Virtual Console Wii game (at around the same time that TP HD leaked). Sadly, Skyward Sword will probably not be getting an HD remake anytime soon.
Which is fine by mean. I think its too soon for an HD remake. Having it toward the end of NX's life like 5-6 yrs from now makes more sense to me.

Firemind

Twilight Princess was at least a retread of material that for many players would have been new.

Skyward Sword retreads its own material.
That first sentence doesn't even make any sense. Ocarina of Time sold more than 7 million copies worldwide. On the much maligned N64. Twilight Princess sold about 6 million on the Wii. Then there was the Wind Waker which came with Ocarina of Time as a bonus.

Like I said, Skyward Sword had dodgy decisions regarding design, but its motion control unlike Twilight Princess was impeccable. There were a lot of puzzles including bosses that had fresh ideas of old conventions. Compare that to the bosses of Twilight Princess which were largely uninspiring. Stallord and Argorok were decent but that's about it. The final battle was especially disappointing. It was basically the Wind Waker but lamer.

Pinky

Banned
I'm just gonna put this here. Very fitting for the occasion. Incredible skills this artist has. I'm sure most of you have seen this, but, even so, how can you not watch it over and over? ;) And for those who haven't seen it, enjoy!

http://youtu.be/kmZAZ-aRltw

Clefargle

Love this series the most of any in the world. Playing TFH right now, really digging the way the connectivity works and the coop. Can't wait for the Wii U game!

The trains were fine, the music was good to, especially the main theme. The microphone parts were horrible tho. I enjoyed it quite alot but I think I prefer Phantom Hourglass, tho I feel like I should replay them back to back, but I do hold both DS games in high regard.

While I like buttons more the touch screen was actually nice for being different. Made the duo feel fresh.

Big One

Banned
One of the greatest franchises of all time. Consistent in quality, and even the low points in the series such as Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass beat a good majority of quality, top tier games on the market even today.

The first Legend of Zelda (and Super Mario Bros.) is one of the most influential games to ever be made and serves as a masterpiece in history of it's own right. Then that influence continued into Ocarina of Time, in which it's relationship with it's dynamic world, innovative game design mechanics, and the way it carried it's storyline continues to be used as fundamental elements of games today.

Really fantastic franchise, and probably my favorite video game franchise ever.

This series has touched my life for nearly 20 years now. Majora's Mask was the one that introduced me to the series, and I couldn't get enough. Both MM and OoT games really helped me cope when I was going through troubling times as a kid.

Lots of nice memories of the series as a whole. Even when the series has slumped for me (Skyward and Spirit Tracks) they still manage to bring me back eventually. ALBW was so fun and if it's any indication of the trajectory the series is taking in the future, we are in for a treat with the next games in the series.

I love the Legend of Zelda and I hope it continues for a long time to come.

Cyrus_Saren

Definitely one of my favorite franchises; A Link to the Past remains one of my favorite games of all time. I hope Zelda continues for a long time. Happy 30th!

As a kid, I didn't own a NES but I used to dislike the first Zelda based on my few tries. I found it too hard and not good looking. The first game I owned and played in the series was ALTTP...and man, what an experience ! I was really under the impression I was "playing a cartoon". First game I really found myself sucked into its world.
OOT had the same impact on older me.
WW also. It got even closer to the real "ok, I AM playing a cartoon !" ;-) The last fights are among the more powerfull moments in gaming for me.
I was more mixed with TP back then. It felt too much like "The Legend of Midna, featuring Hyrule and OOT !" sometimes. I still have those kind of feelings toward the game, but I do think it is a brillant game nevertheless.
I still need to finish SS (right now it's not "love at first sight" like my favourite entries but it is a great game) and I really enjoyed the 2 DS games (especially ST) and ALBW (although it was too much "game mechanics over characterization and setting)

linkboy

Really though, it doesn't seem that long ago I was a little kid exploring Hyrule on the NES, thrilled to find a boomerang upgrade or different colored clothes.

I'll never forget totally losing my shit as a kid when I found level 1 in the tree.

Now I see my 5 year old son do the same thing with Zelda.

That gold cartridge...

I wonder how many of these have functional batteries now?

Yeah, the original Zelda is pretty archaic now, but I find that to be part of this games charm. I love that it just leaves the player in the world alone, and lets them figure out what to do. I remember completing the game on my own without any walk troughs back when I was like 7 or 8. I don;t even know how I did it, but I loved the game.

To celebrate that anniversary I'll plug in my NES to play some Zelda 1 later :)

Awesome series. My favourite games are Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, and I'm really looking forward to the Wii U one.

Can't believe how small it all started. After all, when the development of Zelda 1 began, it basically was the same development project as Super Mario Bros. Both games started as one project. Then the projects parted and Zelda was supposed to be some Arcade two player adventure game focusing on exploring dungeons. Then it was shifted to Famicom/NES and got an overworld, and it was planned to be released before SMB – but then Miyamoto, Tezuka, Kondo and the SRD guys focused on Mario first and completed Zelda after that.

Quick show of hands: who actually enjoyed The Adventure of Link?

I couldn't make heads or tails out of the original game when I was a kid and never beat It until I was an adult armed with suspend points and GameFaqs. But Zelda 2, man I devoured that game. I wouldn't be the Zelda fan I am today if not for that game.

AoL flip-flops with OG Zelda as my fav Zelda game ever.

It's tough as hell, and def not like the original, but I love the atmosphere, the music, the combat system...great, great game.

YourMaster

So someone shouldn't post their favourable opinions on Zelda titles you don't like? Wow. You're more pigheaded than Ganon.

On GAF there's a defense force for everything, from rape to cops shooting the mentally handicapped, but defending spirit tracks is a bridge too far. ;-)
Just today I saw a post on this forum from somebody who is enjoying Phantom Hourglass and is looking forward to Spirit Tracks because he heard that one is 'even better'. That's just setting him up for disappointment.

squid

Got into the series very late and I've only completed the 3D games (well, all but TP), but they've held up incredibly well. Amazingly consistent level of quality.

OoT, MM and WW could all be my favourite in the series, each is an outstanding game with different strengths and aspects that I enjoy.

SS was good. It has some amazing parts in it and I really liked some of the changes they made. Great art style and music, strong dungeons throughout, interesting characters and good improvements to equipment and stamina. But it also had some really annoying aspects to me that made chunks of it a chore to play through. The empty sky, the reusing areas over and over again,the padding. Just holds it back from being a top tier zelda game.

TP I've not played yet, but from what I've seen, heard and read, it really doesn't appeal to me and can't see it being top tier either. But haven't played, so can't really judge.

Ocarina is probably the most consistently good across all aspects. It's the best paced and really feels like a big fantasy adventure that leads up to an epic finale.

Wind Waker is such a charming game. An amazing art style, the best the series has ever had, Interesting, charming, endearing characters and npc's, a real sense of scale and adventure sailing across the massive ocean. Would absolutely love a new home console direct sequel to this.

Majoras Mask has an awesome atmosphere, the best town in a zelda game and by a million miles the deepest, most enthralling side quests and npc's. Really draws you into its world so well. And it's the most emotional and moving game in the series too.

Those 3 are absolute classics in my opinion. Ocarina is probably the best objectively by not having any obvious flaws or weak points really. But WW and MM definitely make up for it with their strengths and I'd probably choose one of those as my personal favourite ahead of ocarina.

Can't wait for Zelda WiiU, I have high hopes for it! I love everything they've shown about it so far and the direction it looks like it's taking! Hopefully we learn more about it soon.

I'm seeing Symphony of the Goddesses in Boston this week and I'm pumped! Anyone seen the show before? How is it??

It's pretty fucking great. I was at the first show they added Majora's Mask. It was an unannounced addition to gauge interest, I'm sure they've added more since then.

Jackano

I'm seeing Symphony of the Goddesses in Boston this week and I'm pumped! Anyone seen the show before? How is it??

It sure is great.

I wouldn't have done the same thing however. The playlist mainly consist of 3 or 4 main movements, and mainly around the most known 3D games (OoT, TWW, TP). Those 3 makes ~70% of the concert with their usual themes.
There isn't much for what is maybe the remaining 90% of the music of the series.
Anyway it's great though and those are new arrangements. And other concerts I've seen (mainly Square stuff + VGL) are even more unsurprising, and often feature old or very old arrangements.

eXistor

When's Nintendo going to acknowledge that it's the 30th anniversary?. I need a proper Zelda U reveal.
I'm just about at the end of my tether as well, we've gone so long since the initial reveal and those snippets of low-res offscreen gameplay. I have full faith in it but...I'm jonesing for new info man.

Top Bottom