• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary.

jariw

We've prepared Zelda's 30th birthday and the TP:HD release in a number of ways here at home.

The kids made a Triforce cake today.

During the past weeks, the oldest kid is playing through WW:HD.

And I made this, based on the TP:HD art:
LcxOK7F.jpg

Happy Birthday Zelda!

Garlador

I might have to take a picture of my "Zelda shrine".

Anyway, to celebrate, I ordered this beauty and have it hanging up on my wall now:

My favorite franchise ever, and I've been with it since the very beginning. Still have my shiny gold cart proudly on my shelf.

Maedhros

Great series. Have played almost everthing the series has to offer and it''s always good to fantastic. Exception: Zelda 2. I fucking hate this game. In fact, many of my beloved series have some shitty number 2 games, IMO. Castlevania, Ys, Metroid...

phenomenal series. Finished majora's mask 3d this week and i am now playing link's awakening. Trying to play as many zeldas i can in anticipation of zelda U, going to get zelda TP HD.

-Horizon-

We've prepared Zelda's 30th birthday and the TP:HD release in a number of ways here at home.

Happy Birthday Zelda!

I said wow

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Happy Birthday Zelda!

Hey bro let's start by being friends. And then you adopting me into your household.

I must confess, I've had an... interesting experience with the Legend of Zelda.

Growing up I really didn't know it all that well. Gave Ocarina and Twilight Princess a few abortive tries, but I got bored and didn't get past their respective tutorial sections. The first game I properly played out of the series was Phantom Hourglass, and something about it just... hooked me.

From there, my interest slowly crept up over the years, built by archive binging of the lore. Then, I got my first mainline game for Christmas - Skyward Sword.

Haven't looked back since, and its firmly one of my favourite franchises. Something I once never touched became the reason I bought my Wii U. It's just something about the way it largely plays itself straight as a fantasy franchise, finding its own twists, whilst nevertheless also managing to balance each game being recognisably a part of the franchise, yet holding their own identity.

BasilZero

Happy 30th anniversary to the Zelda series!

I feel like its gonna be a special year in terms of Zelda.

Playing the GBA version of Link to the Past right now and will be playing Link between worlds soon.

Also got MM3D and OoT 3D ready as well.

Gonna get TPHD when it comes out and bought WWHD last week.

Rafavert

No, go away, let the hype for Zelda U stay dormant some longer =<

It really is a great series that deserves the 30 years. Heck, even the worst Zelda games manage to be considered "Good".

Also, I'm really happy that they chose to stick with the cel shaded look. It really blends well with Zelda. I wouldn't mind an attempt at a cel shaded TP.

We're even getting the Zelda Symphony in Portugal this year <3333 after long last!

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
My parents got me every Nintendo console since the GameCube minus the Wii U. I've never played Zelda, but always wanted to. I don't own a Nintendo console anymore, but if the NX is cool I'll buy it just for Zelda. The only Nintendo franchise that still looks interesting to me.

Vidiot

Easily my favorite game series. Right now I'm working on a custom Demise figure. It's not great but I think it's turning out okay considering I don't really do this sort of thing often.

Joqu

My favourite series. What an amazing one it is. <3

Pretty great year we're getting too. I can't wait until they actually show Zelda U off properly.

My favourite gaming series of all time. 30 years in and they still haven't made a Zelda game I haven't enjoyed to some extent. Have to start Triforce Heroes soon, been so darn busy.

Enforced

I can't believe we're already at the 30th anniversary of zelda. Feels like not long time ago when we were celebrating the 25th anniversary. Time flies fast! lol

I don't remember which is the first zelda game I got. Either it was zelda awakening or zelda ocarina of time which my childhood introduce me. I still remember that day when my parents took me to Toys R Us to buy Zelda Majora's Mask for Nintendo 64.

Majora's mask has some creepy moments that I had to mute the volume. lol I was really scared as a kid. Help Romani defeating the aliens and travel with Cremina to deliver the milk to the clock town is my favorite and most memorable side quest in the game. I played that quest so many times. lol

I enjoyed wind waker, I wasn't disappointed of the graphics. I was excited for the new game because it's zelda lol. I love the Medi's awakening scene when you teach her Earth's God Lyric.

I would like to write more for other zelda game but don't want my post to be like a blog post. lol

I'm really excited to play Twilight princess HD and new zelda game. I can't wait!

My favourite gaming series of all time. 30 years in and they still haven't made a Zelda game I haven't enjoyed to some extent. Have to start Triforce Heroes soon, been so darn busy.

Your in for a treat, its a great Zelda experience without any of the build up, your pretty much thrown into the core gameplay but your enjoyment kind of depends on your team mates and their capability. Its not the best Zelda but it is one of the best co-op games I've ever played.

Majestad

Banned
The GOAT franchise.

Will be celebrating the 30th Anniversary:

- Buying and replaying Twilight Princess HD
- Replaying Zelda Wind Waker HD
- Beating the Oracles games in summer
- Replaying A Link Between Worlds in the summer
- Going to the Symphony of the Goddesses orchestra in September
- And in November,

tumblr_nc2mj7kQSQ1rm7e3co1_250.gif
tumblr_nc2mj7kQSQ1rm7e3co4_250.gif
tumblr_nc2mj7kQSQ1rm7e3co6_250.gif

hnnnnng.jpg

Happy anniversary to a game series that has more of my favorite games than any other series.

I'd play Majora's Mask right now if I had my N64 with me at the moment.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Easily my favorite game franchise. Not saying every installment is perfect by any means. But whenever a new Zelda launches, it feels like an event.

balgajo

Congratulations to the best franchise ever! And I not only including videogames.

Opened eshop now and it was playing TP hyrule field theme. Bought the preload...XD

Sawneeks

Banned
Happy Anniversary to my favorite video game series ever! To celebrate I've been playing through all the titles I have yet to complete out of the series. Sinc I've started my Zelda Crusade I've beaten Zelda 2 and Link's Awakening, both really good games, and I'm taking a break before I jump into the Oracle games but I'm excited to get to those as well.

And then we have TP HD in two weeks...so exciting!

I'm seeing Symphony of the Goddesses in Boston this week and I'm pumped! Anyone seen the show before? How is it??

I've seen that and the original 25th Anniversary orchestra. You're in for an incredibly time! I wish I could go and see it for my first time all over again.

Just being in this thread is making me happy! I love the Legend of Zelda and it has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.

I simply cannot wait to see and experience what the future holds. There is nothing else quite like it, and to me it's my favorite franchise. Ever.

Happy 30th! &#9825;

eXistor

To this day still my favorite series. When I'm thinking about top 20 games of all time, there's always a bunch of Zelda games in there and it makes me feel bad for other games. More recent Zelda's are not quite the god tier games up until Majora's Mask(excluding LBW that was amazing), but even so no other series has been able to keep its quality this consistent.

I'm definitely hoping Zelda U is everything it can be, if so then we're looking at possible Best game of all Time right there. My game room has a dedicated space for all my Zelda stuff and it's absolutely stuffed with games and such, it's actually overflowing so I might have to expand it somehow!

I could talk all day about Zelda games, it's the one series that clicked the most with me over the years and I have no doubt it will remain as special to me over the coming years as it is right now. 30 more years I say!

Gsnap

Pretty much the only game series that I make sure I have time off before playing. Not that hard, since they usually come out around my birthday/thanksgiving, but still.

Zelda U is gonna be the best. The first time through a Zelda game is a great experience. Even if the game ends up not being that great in the long run, none of that matters on the first playthrough.

Majora's Mask is still among my favorite games of all time. I'm currently playing Ocarina of Time right now and am trying to play it a little differently.

I attempted to beat Oracle of Seasons last year, but there is an odd design choice where you need four of these shapes to advance to the next area, it's really cumbersome to get these and they game doesn't give you any hints to their wearabouts and when I looked online they're spread out far across the map. I just decided that shit is not fun and not worth it so I dropped it, but it doesn't feel right dropping a game without beating it.

ika

I need new Zelda U/NX info and media soon or I'll die lol :p Five years since Skyward Sword hurts. Nintendo should have two main Zelda teams working at the same time in parallel so we can have a proper console Zelda game (non spin-off, non remake) each 2-3 years.

mrmickfran

I absolutely hated this series as a kid. I have no idea why.

Just like 2 years back, I bought Skyward Sword and played through that. I thought it was decent, so I decided to look into the series. Out of nowhere, I got like 9 games in the series and I'm super hyped for Zelda U.

If I had a top 5, it would have to be:

5. A Link to the Past
4. Oracle of Seasons
3. A Link Between Worlds
2. Ocarina of Time
1. Wind Waker

Firemind

I need new Zelda U/NX info and media soon or I'll die lol :p Five years since Skyward Sword hurts. Nintendo should have two main Zelda teams working at the same time in parallel so we can have a proper console Zelda game (non spin-off, non remake) each 2-3 years.
No thanks. *insert famous miyamoto quote*

Griss

Happy anniversary to my favourite game series of all time.

In truth, though, the first 15 years of this franchise were legendary, the last 15 were treading water. There was a big turning point in there after Wind Waker. I hope that the next 15 years can see a return to form. I suspect that may mean Aonuma moving aside at some point.

Cruixant

Happy anniversary to one of my favourite franchises!

It feels like it was just yesterday when I was playing Skyward Sword during the 25th one. So many good memories.

Yonafunu

In truth, though, the first 15 years of this franchise were legendary, the last 15 were treading water. There was a big turning point in there after Wind Waker. I hope that the next 15 years can see a return to form. I suspect that may mean Aonuma moving aside at some point.

I think it has more to do with Aonuma stepping away from that OoT-shaped shadow he's placed himself (and every consecutive Zelda game) in. He really just needs to let that go and broaden his view, and I think Zelda U will show us what that can do.

Also, to be clear, Aonuma hasn't directed a Zelda game (or any game for that matter) since Twilight Princess).

Griss

I think it has more to do with Aonuma stepping away from that OoT-shaped shadow he's placed himself (and every consecutive Zelda game) in. He really just needs to let that go and broaden his view, and I think Zelda U will show us what that can do.

Also, to be clear, Aonuma hasn't directed a Zelda game (or any game for that matter) since Twilight Princess).

Yes I agree that that is the issue, but it's the same end result as what I said. Either Aonuma breaks out of his rut or he steps aside. Either is fine. Is he capable of it? That's the question. And while he may not be director, my understanding is that he's in charge of the series as a whole, much in the same way as Miyamoto acts as a hand-on producer.

What Aonuma wants, regarding Zelda, he gets.

Gsnap

Ehhhhhh. I know a lot of people haven't liked recent entries, but "treading water" is pretty disingenuous. Each entry in the series explores a variety of new ideas. Both mainline games and spinoffs. If they didn't, we wouldn't have such huge gulfs between people who like one and hate another.

Firemind

Good. Twilight Princess was a steaming pile of retreads. Skyward Sword on the other hand was a return to form marred by dodgy design decisions. The less Aonuma has hands on the development, the better.

Top Bottom