• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary.

The greatest game series of all time! Without this series I wouldn't love games as I do.

I was there are the start, 30 years ago, here is to 30 more!

jrush64

Banned
Definitely the greatest game series of all time. Skyward Sword my favorite game of last gen and my favorite Zelda of all time... I guess tied with Wind Waker.

I need Zelda U right now though.

DKHF

I hope Nintendo doesn't make us wait until E3 for the Zelda U blowout (or even the title) but I suspect they will.

Not a huge fan but highly respect the series. Link to the Past is magical, as is the original. Gold cart :)

Going to buy Ocarina today in the eshop. Hope it's smoother than the 3ds version which I found far too annoying to control.

Scrawnton

The Witcher 3 would be hard to beat. I wish the new Zelda game good luck tho!
Why does it have to beat Witcher 3? They will be fundamentally different games. That's like expecting Elder Scrolls to beat Witcher, Witcher to beat Elder Scrolls, and Zelda to beat both of them. They're all completely different games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope Nintendo doesn't make us wait until E3 for the Zelda U blowout (or even the title) but I suspect they will.

It's going to be interesting. Zelda is usually one of their big hitters that they like to wait till E3 for but at the same time this is the year for the NX blowout.

With the Wii they did demonstrate how TP had been revamped for the Wii but that wasn't the first time we'd seen the game. Zelda U on the other hand has more or less been kept completely under wraps so using it as a NX demo would be a bit odd especially as we haven't seen all the ideas it has for the Wii U's GamePad apart from the map.

Effect

I'm afraid this will happen this year as well:

5420795dd736b.jpeg

I love Zelda, but for me, Metroid is even better.

BTW, am I the only who considers the original Zelda unplayable these days? I think this game didn't age well. Meanwhile, ALTTP is still awesome and intuitive nowadays.

I really hope this doesn't happen this year. Even without a new game there is no acceptable reason to ignore the Metroid series. Here's hoping at least Nintendo of America do something to recognize it if NCL won't.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really hope this doesn't happen this year. Even without a new game there is no acceptable reason to ignore the Metroid series. Here's hoping at least Nintendo of America do something to recognize it if NCL won't.

You know anniversaries for the most part are based around them already having something to release so Metroid's celebration game, like it or not, would be Federation Forces.

Do you know what is actually factually sadder? No one celebrated the Ice Climbers 30th. After not getting into Smash the least everyone could have done is wished them happy birthday.

Toxi

Banned
Do you know what is actually factually sadder? No one celebrated the Ice Climbers 30th. After not getting into Smash the least everyone could have done is wished them happy birthday.
To be fair, Ice Climber is a shitty game.

Their real anniversary should be for the Smash version people actually love.

HYDE

Banned
Happy Anniversary...Been playing since I was 6 in 1986. Zelda 1 was a revelation. I hope they can bring the goods with Zelda Wii U/NX.

Link to the Past that awesome box/label art as color scheme for the Players Choice version.

And majoras mask hologram label.

Very nice!

Not

Banned

Oh course they willlllllllllll

They wouldn't be Nintendo if they didn't. Especially since cross-gen is most likely happening. It's their flagship NX game-- but first they have to reveal the NX.

Azzanadra

I love Zelda. Probably my favorite video game series... however, I feel like Nintendo is out of touch with the series and has not done it justice since Twilight Princess. A Link Between Worlds was great, though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Happy 30th Anniversary to The Legend of Zelda, what a great series. No truly bad game in its entire series, pretty great accomplishment. Even the spinoffs are decent to really good.

illusionary

Happy Anniversary to the greatest games series around! Zelda U meeting its planned release this year would be truly fitting

(but even if it doesn't, I can wait...)

I think I'll demote my Yooka-Laylee wallpaper in favour of Zelda, for at least a little while...

This promotional video showcasing the Famicom Disk System, along with The Legend of Zelda: The Hyrule Fantasy and The Mysterious Murasame Castle is quite fun to watch. It's all in Japanese, but seeing some of the original artwork that was also found in the instruction book of The Legend of Zelda is really cool.

https://youtu.be/rNU7dZlKzgs

Love this series to death. Got into Zelda with Twilight Princess. Beat it, said, "WTF have I been missing?!" and never looked back since. Played TP, SS, OOT, MM, MC, WW, ALBW, and ST, have yet to dislike an entry, and I'm hella excited for Zelda U. =D

Happy 30th LOZ, here's to many more!

Quite possibly my favourite game series of all-time. So many classics that I've loved over the years. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Zelda.

I have incredibly fond memories of playing LoZ with a neighborhood buddy every morning for a good two months while we waited for the school bus to arrive back in (I believe) spring of '88.
Completing LoZ was such a rewarding feeling back then.

The last LoZ game I played was ALttP for the SNES. Also great times.

Happy 30th, Link, Ganon, & Zelda. Thanks for making me feel old. ;)

My favorite videogame series over them all.

I have been actively following it since the TP hype train, but I started with Link's Awakening DX back in 2003. As English is not my first language, I had never played anything with more depth than a Mario or a Street Fighter game for many years; when I first played that game I became enamoured with the formula, although I finished it several years later as that copy wasn't mine. But I really became a fan when I played Ocarina of Time in the Collector's Edition rerelease. The fact that I finished it just a few days before I saw the E3 2005 trailer for Twilight Princess was a combination of hype that I still remember.

Maybe I'll take out my copy of Hyrule Historia today to look back at the series.
And hope for Nintendo to stop forgetting about Metroid.

Meesh

Nothing... and I mean nothing in gaming still gives me goosebumps like a fresh new Zelda game. The exploration, the wonderment, the atmosphere....

It's all Zelda baby!

Well... Zelda and maybe Monster Hunter. Lol

Bought Phantom Hourglass the other day and managed to sink about 7 hours into it already. I never got to play this until recently, and it's just making me realize what I love about Zelda games: the sense of adventure, the great dungeon design, the crestive bosses, the clever puzzles, etc. It all comes together into one great package that always manages to excite and inspire!

It is so telling of the franchise that this game is seen with disdain when it's such a great package.

takriel

Happy 30th, Zelda! You are a truly special franchise that I keep very dear to my heart. Zelda U looks amazing and I can't wait to play it hopefully this year!

Scrawnton

Zero Suit Samus will get a cameo in DOAX3. Happy Birthday!

A Zelda Wii U mode where link never existed and Samus randomly shows up on the planet containing Hyrule. All the goblins are replaced with space pirates and you play the same exact game, just as Samus but with different enemies.

Actually, that would be amazing.

AgeEighty

I've always wondered why the original Zelda logo featured a rapier, which aside from being "a type of sword" has nothing to do with anything that's in the game. "80s", I guess.

I've always wondered why the original Zelda logo featured a rapier, which aside from being "a type of sword" has nothing to do with anything that's in the game. "80s", I guess.

Having shopped for games in the 80s, it was ALL about the box art, and the rear of the box. Literally buying a "book by its cover".

Zelda NES was on its own as an "adventure" until dragon warrior and maybe startropics came along.

Zelda has the best game music of any game ever. They're so memorable and iconic, and they hardly ever just fall back to remixing the main theme (which Mario sometimes does a little too often). It's usually used sparingly and only for big moments in the story.

Even low key games like Spirit Tracks end up with a fantastic soundtrack. Realm Overworld/Full Steam Ahead is one of the best themes in the entire series and it's on a somewhat mediocre DS game.

I don't know where the series was my entire life, my first Zelda game was Link to the Past on the GBA (besides renting Ocarina a few times). From there, I got the Anniversary disc from Nintendo Power, and started my journey into discovering the series, and have been there, almost day 1, for every game that's come out since.

Top Bottom