• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT| A Link from the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

It's ab bit strange, I was exploring so much in the second area the game wants to guide you in - without following the story all that much (25 hours, no Dungeon, 2 memories) - that I hit a point, where I couldn't advance without heavily relying on potions and meals and since I didn't want to cook all the time, I decided it was time to play along the Story again.

I'm on my way to the Zora village now and it's crazy how weird all of it feels. The game pumps up handholding again a lot more (people who guide me without even initiating a conversation with them), Enemies are far easier than what I encountered so far and it's the first time seeing one of the other races for me. After 25 hours of gameplay. Just feels very weird and in a way awesome, since I still have lots of road ahead of me.

nOoblet16

You have to interact with the dungeon map to solve all the divine beasts. It's something that the game never tells you is possible. It was really frustrating because I thought all puzzles were solvable by runes.
Some of the dungeons do tell you that via the voice over from the relevant champion. I can distinctively remember Revali mentioning it.

Addi

Yeah! Beat my first
Lynel, a blue maned one
. What a rush!

Took a selfie with him dying right behind me. Is it possible to share Wii U pictures somehow?

takriel

I haven't had as much fun not progressing in a game ever I don't think. I played almost 5 hours last night and I didn't really accomplish anything other than talking to some folks in a town and finding new shrines (but not even doing in to try them yet).

Seriously. This game redefines "gaming" lol.

CRA5H

Man I thought I lost Epona forever. I scanned my Link amiibo and totally didn't get time to register it. I saved my file and loaded a bit later and it was gone.

Thankfully, after reading a ton about this, I changed my system date and did the whole scan -> reload cycle until I finally got Epona back and registered it right away. Phew.

E-phonk

Banned
I'm on my way to the Zora village now and it's crazy how weird all of it feels. The game pumps up handholding again a lot more (people who guide me without even initiating a conversation with them)

I feel like they balanced the handholding out well, you get clues and info, but it's not constantly reminding you to do this or that.
A relief compared to SS where Fi and the countless item pop-ups was just too much.

butman

I just come to say that I've been in BOTW for 3 hours and it has filled me with a strange feeling, a mixture of nostalgia, happiness and wonder.
It is something as powerful to see as a flagship game as was Ocarina Of Time for me, has been surpassed.
I think that i never felt this kind of evolution in any modern version of old franchise games.

This is something powerful and beautiful in my life as a gamer.

God damn this stupid quest where you have to follow the Korok. Did the stupid thing and didn't get its attention like it said to. I go in the shrine then head back. Turns out I was supposed to talk to the Korok. What the fuck man

Weebos

Banned
Do I have to find the pictures in Miiverse? There's no function inside the game as I can see

Miiverse shares screenshots, not ingame pictures. You could open the picture in game, press home, hit miiverse, then post a screenshot of the picture.

Aldric

God damn this stupid quest where you have to follow the Korok. Did the stupid thing and didn't get its attention like it said to. I go in the shrine then head back. Turns out I was supposed to talk to the Korok. What the fuck man

Yeah that was awful. l fucking hate Koroks. l'd burn them all alive if l could.

i will get this masterpiece as soon as i'm done with my damn exams

one thing i'm worried about, most of the footage i've seen are in the open map and it's all green with no variety

what i love about Zelda is the Dungeons, is there as much dungeons as the previous games ?

Last play session I saved in the middle of snowy mountains that I had been exploring for an hour and a half and only got about half way through them. I still need to do more tonight.

There's lots of variety in the landscape. Most of the previews were taken pretty much entirely in the starting area of the game.

Zutrax

I just want to preface this with the fact that this game is incredible and easily one of my favorite games I've played in quite a long time. I've never been this enthralled by an open world title since maybe playing Oblivion for the first time way back in the day.

Spoilers for dungeons in general ahead:

However, I just wanted to mention that I really wish the dungeons were a bit larger and had more diversity in terms of visuals and item utilization. I kind of miss the whole "get an item suited for this dungeon and solve well crafted puzzles around that item". And while each dungeon is really cool in concept, visually they are kind of just differently crafted versions of the same style of area, just a magic powered mechanical area with some room manipulation. Maybe it's played out to some people, but I always liked the themed dungeons like a Water, Fire, Ice, Wind, Forest, etc. style areas. The Divine Beasts were awe inspiring for the first two, but the last two felt kind of samey. Also they were really quick to solve, took me 30 minutes tops per as well as the Blight Ganon's being relatively similar in design and fairly easy to fight as well.

And I know the shrines are supposed to fill in that puzzle solving itch, but they fall into the same problem of having the same visual flair every time and only slightly cleverly using the same subset of items you have had since the beginning. I wouldn't have minded having items we gather throughout the game and having hints as to what we might need for that area and can always warp back whenever we get those items, kind of in the same vein as Link Between Worlds.

Regardless they were still incredible and I enjoyed them very thoroughly. This game is incredible and if my biggest complaint is something that I still hold in high regard, then that speaks volumes I feel.

So since I applied my tempered glass screen protector to my Switch yesterday and didn't want to dock the thing, I decided to pop in Horizon. The map felt so tiny in comparison to Zelda's after just a week. I'm getting spoiled.

deleted

I feel like they balanced the handholding out well, you get clues and info, but it's not constantly reminding you to do this or that.
A relief compared to SS where Fi and the countless item pop-ups was just too much.

Absolutely, but I realized that the game expected me to come here earlier since the handholding is getting subtly more again in areas like navigating the world.

Just feels weird since at this point, most games are already wrapping up and I feel like I didn't even do 10% yet.

Exodust

Banned
Hey, I found a
Great Fairy Fountain.

I guess this one has an added horse thing going on...

*Gives it rupees*

THIS IS NOT A FAIRY HOLY SHIT

I still haven't found the last
fountain
. Found one in
Akkala
Kakariko
, and
Gerudo Desert

There's one
near a tower where the rito's are. Look around the tower and you should find it pretty easily, lots of luminous stones there.

The Lamp

I'm starting to get overwhelmed. I just went to unlock sheikah towers and it wasn't fun because I had to traverse so much barren land space and got overwhelmed by how big the world is. What am I gonna even do in these regions...that gerudo desert is huge...

cackhyena

I'm starting to get overwhelmed. I just went to unlock sheikah towers and it wasn't fun because I had to traverse so much barren land space and got overwhelmed by how big the world is. What am I gonna even do in these regions...that gerudo desert is huge...
Find secrets. Get into fights and play with the runes. Discover korok seeds in puzzles out in the open. Embrace a game that just says "go", man.

Deku Tree

Does anybody have the chart that shows what gems are required for upgrading which items? It is frustratingly difficult to Google.

The chart is from the official guide. Pics of it are against the TOS to post here.

Basically

All the
Jewelery requires the corresponding gem, and the glow in the dark armor set requires luminous rocks.

Exodust

Banned
How does one trigger the
ball
side quest in
Kakariko
?

You need to do three side quests in
Kakariko
, after that
After that talk to Paya at night to trigger a quest called "Stolen Heirloom
and you should know what to do from there.

CRA5H

An important point to bring up is that amiibo loot will despawn if you scan too many at once without claiming your loot.
For example, I had 3 chests drop from my zelda amiibo but I continued to scan other random amiibo without opening those chests. They despawned and I was unable to use the amiibo again even though I hadn't opened the chest. :(

-shadow-

So I just discovered that you can do this:

img_20170310_150757x9j40.jpg

RkOwnage

So, What's the most efficient way to get rupees? I've got a lot of ore, but I don't want to sell it...isn't it used for upgrades later on?

Lilo_D

Pay attention to your environment, this world is so dense with so many puzzle and secret.
Don't push yourself to do anything

Double D

Is there a definitive list put together yet of what gemstones are used for what? I'm pretty damn deep into the game and still haven't bought anything for myself aside from arrows and donating to fairy fountains and always have a balance of like 1300 rupees.

When I say deep into the game, I've done mostly side stuff. I think I'm only missing one tower, got the (weapon spoiler)
Master Sword
, and did the elephant beast.

i will get this masterpiece as soon as i'm done with my damn exams

one thing i'm worried about, most of the footage i've seen are in the open map and it's all green with no variety

what i love about Zelda is the Dungeons, is there as much dungeons as the previous games ?

There are less traditional dungeons than you'd expect, and they're not even that traditional, but the Shrines are all excellent and make it such that the game has more dungeon-esque puzzles than any previous game in the series.

My biggest issue with this game is I don't see how Nintendo are going to follow this up. How do you make another Zelda game after this? What direction do you take the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom