• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

I've watched a french preview and the journalist talked about how the game was taking a shit ton of things from Shadow of the Colossus and now my hype thrusters have fucking exploded.

My favorite game of all time. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Can't wait.

Any impressions on dungeons? I'm not risking reading through all this thread...

The problem with SS is that it feels more like a 3D platformer with puzzles than an adventure game. Too generic at times

The new "races" were annoying and just there to explain the controls,Fi was a glorified tutorial.

Girahim was a not menacing lackey. Demise was boring and ancient Hyrule was undeveloped except for the cute robots.

The only character they give space was Zelda herself,but she was not enough to carry the game,the main was cool though,unlike Twilight Princess

Agreed. And the element of exploration was almost completely gone. It's the only 3D Zelda game where I don't like to go off the normal path because the game seems to actively discourage this. It also has the worst pacing of the 3D games. It's honestly the only 3D Zelda I wouldn't rate up to a 9.

ryechu

Why is it that Zelda getting positive preview impressions is discounted as being part of some general cycle that assumes that Zelda games are objectively overrated?

Because there is some truth to that story. Although, I don't remember a Zelda game getting preview coverage like this, so I'm hopeful.

With how hard people are saying the game is.

I'm wondering what the DLC hard mode thingy is.

Yeah I've been saying this since the DLC thread. People kept going "hard/hero mode behind DLC is such shit" but the fact that this game is so hard by default suggests that the DLC mode must be substantially different than just a difficulty slider. Like a Master Quest type mode.

Chinbo37

Skyward sword was a great game. The constant item reminders and fi notifications were SUPER annoying. The backtracking to the same areas 2 or 3 times and the same boss battle over and over as well weren't great

But if you don't think about that the rest of the game was really good.

Hastati

Oh hello
potential waifu

"Nintenbone"

Really now

There is definitely a trend for this stuff that started with Awakening, although maybe it's mostly on the fan side. Not that it bugs me, personally.

Curious to see if there are husbando's as well (and if Zelda is playable and can have conversations with them).

Dystify

hatch.png

Sorry about that. Should have made the titles more different.

I edited the spoiler thread to prevent anyone from getting spoiled even if they accidentally enter the thread.

Jaagen

To the journalists who have played, how are the loading times? I remember Nintendo cold-booting the game at the Switch Threehouse live event and it seemed pretty fast. I'd reckon it would be, considering flash storage and all.

The problem with SS is that it feels more like a 3D platformer with puzzles than an adventure game. Too generic at times

I loved that about it though. It felt like it had more game design in the environments. It was still totally, 100%, completely an adventure game. I have absolutely no idea how it could be considered otherwise.

I'm perfectly okay with a big open world like in Breath, but I loved Skyward's design to bits. It felt fun to me and the environments were super varied.

Skyward sword was a great game. The constant item reminders and fi notifications were SUPER annoying. The backtracking to the same areas 2 or 3 times and the same boss battle over and over as well weren't great

Totally agreed about the notifications and Fi could indeed be annoying. I guess I just have more patience or something? I didn't feel like these things ruined the game at all.

All of these glowing and hyperbolic impressions of Breath of the Wild remind me EXACTLY of the previews of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword before and during their release. Every fucking person claimed each one was the greatest Zelda game since Ocarina of Time only for the backlash to hit HARD six months later. It feels like the same shit all over again.

The Zelda "cycle" since Wind Waker has been a combination of meltdowns over scores less than 10 at launch combined with people wishing the new game was more like the last game. Or, miyamotomeme.gif.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of clamoring for this to be like either of the last two games.

Nervous in the sense that they make my expectations sky rocket :D
Nah, it's gonna great. My initial worry was that all this go anywhere, do anything, climb everything was just there to tout the technical accomplishments of achieving more freedom. I was really blasé about it since you know its 2017, open world is hardly a tagline at this point. But now I see how important emergent gameplay is and how all these systems serve a purpose, nah...I think it's gonna be great.

All signs point to something special, just like all the previews of Horizon or all the praise for Japanese version of P5, you fan tell when people are genuinely excited about stuff and it's coming from jaded industry folk more than not.

ckaneo

Wow didnt know I was in a Skyward Sword thread.

Can somebody amswer me this: is there music in towns and villages? I mean real themes like in other Zelda towns in the older game and not just the few piano pieces of atmospheric ambient music like in the overworld.

Yes.

Peléo

I'm in Olympia, Washington

Not sure about the American situation besides there being an apparent Zelda shortage. Here in the UK you can still preorder a Switch and most stores still have BotW. A tip another user shared here was to go for for less intuitive stores (Toy's R Us or other department franchises) instead of the usual Gamestop.

Red

I am with you. It had some great moments and several of the series' best dungeons.

ckaneo

Can someone confirm the tunic and hat are canon in the game?

Aonuma has confirmed you can get the green tunic and hat in this game.

Spoilers show that there is a retro version of the outfit, but we dont know which version he was talking about. If by Canon you mean modern

JobenNC

I am with you. It had some great moments and several of the series' best dungeons.

I'm closing in on the end (rushing because march 3rd), and I'll agree with that. There are some things about the game I'll never really like, and it's probably 5 hours too long, but a few of the dungeons are just A+. The music is outstanding too.

Quick question to whomever has played - how quick are the loading times when you fast travel. I appreciated fast travel in Xenoblade Chronicles X and FFXV... but it took an incredibly long time. In FFXV I barely used it because I'd rather watch the car and the characters. Or do a small chore while it was on auto drive.

I hope they are fast, especially because of cartridges. Anyone have any input (or can show me a source who talks about this?)

I loved that about it though. It felt like it had more game design in the environments.

I'm perfectly okay with a big open world like in Breath, but I loved Skyward's design to bits. It felt fun to me and the environments were super varied.

I loved traversing Faron Woods, Eldin Volcano, and Lanayru Desert more than any place in any other 3D Zelda game. They were filled with things to do(I love bug catching) and I loved opening up new areas every time the story led to revisiting them.

One of my favorite things in games is exploring an area and then finding a shortcut between areas that I didn't realize was there. SS was filled with them.

In many ways it felt like it was designed just for me.

Aldric

Gamekult won't post a preview but the guy reviewing the game did a short stream where he gave his impressions, from what l remember:

-the game is "very hard", not Dark Souls hard but between the first Zelda and AoL
-says the world is chock full of secrets and things to do
-he finds the game pretty despite some obvious technical flaws, water effects are particularly great
-far more RPG elements than recent Zelda games
-compared to Horizon he likes BotW's approach better, says it's obviously not as spectacular but thinks the traversal and experimentation based gameplay is more fun
-he describes it as a mix between classic Zelda, modern open world RPGs and a "pimped out" (his own words) Shadow of the Colossus
-about flaws, he had troubles getting used to the controls at first especially playing on the Switch but the Pro controller helped, also mentioned some physics based puzzle that didn't feel precise enough for his taste

Overall seems pretty positive.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are both great games, so I'm not really seeing the issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that particular post is just commenting on how strange the overarching reception of these titles can be.
In recent years these games have released to amazing critical reception and very positive initial fan impressions, but once the smoke clears they seem to develop a loud and active hatedom that gives off the notion that they're actually really awful games.
The Zelda cycle and all that jazz.

Majmun

Sounds amazing wow. But that was to be expected.

Predicting 94 meta

Can't wait to play the game when I'm getting the Switch somewhere down the line.

I loved traversing Faron Woods, Eldin Volcano, and Lanayru Desert more than any place in any other 3D Zelda game. They were filled with things to do(I love bug catching) and I loved opening up new areas every time the story led to revisiting them.

Absolutely. They were supremely well designed. I think the mindset is that they weren't "open" like the sky but that's just a hub to connect Skyloft and the main areas down below together. It's like how Ocarina was Hyrule Field which was just a big mostly empty circle with Lon Lon Ranch that connected the branching areas together.

Oh boy, only now managed to read some previews while at work... this is not making the wait easier at all. The previews sound so good...

ryechu

Absolutely. They were supremely well designed. I think the mindset is that they weren't "open" like the sky but that's just a hub to connect Skyloft and the main areas down below together. It's like how Ocarina was Hyrule Field which was just a big mostly empty circle with Lon Lon Ranch that connected the branching areas together.

Skyward sword should've been a shorter game; it had around 10 hours unnecessary padding. Besides that I had issue with the linearity of the dungeon layout, but I've had that issue with every Zelda since MM.

Rodin

Hmmm, the game is great don't get me wrong, but holy shit dial down those expectations

I mean, it likely depends on what you're looking for in a game. TW3 is one of my favorites RPGs ever but i have no doubts in my mind that stuff like gameplay or world and level design aren't comparable to what i've seen of Breath of the Wild so far (hell, even combat seems worse... but i hated it in TW3 in the first place, and i'll wait to play Zelda before saying that anyway). At the same time for example i don't expect Zelda to have the same narrative depth in the subquests, so like i said i guess it depends more on what kind of experience you're looking for, but i don't see how it's so far fetched to expect to like the game more than TW3. The latter is not exactly some god of videogames that can't be touched, and Zelda isn't a series made of random average games that makes the comparison even more blasphemous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that particular post is just commenting on how strange the overarching reception of these titles can be.
In recent years these games have released to amazing critical reception and very positive initial fan impressions, but once the smoke clears they seem to develop a loud and active hatedom that gives off the notion that they're actually really awful games.
The Zelda cycle and all that jazz.

Yeah but that's just pure stupidity of fanboys who shit on every game that isn't their favorite in the series to make it look better.

Top Bottom