• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

phanphare

Banned
I like having my reasonable dissenting statements on record for posterity. :) I recall making similar statements about NMS long before it came out and being shouted down in some instances by people fully engaged in that hype machine

see the thing with this is that NMS never actually showed off varied gameplay mechanics leading up to it's release. it was always just the vastness of the world that wowed people.

there is tons of BotW footage out there showing a fuck ton of different gameplay scenarios brought on by all the systems and gameplay mechanics being utilized in creative ways. like, I kind of get what you're saying but we already have so many concrete examples of the things that BotW is doing that this hype isn't without merit. for me my hype is based entirely on the things I know to be true.

hope that helps

Tidalwave

zelda6.jpg
Isn't it 5 days?

speiky

Is anyone else concerned about the frame rate dips into the low 20s? I'm kinda bummed about it. Someone make me feel better please (don't tell me to play handheld mode lol).

phanphare

Banned
Is anyone else concerned about the frame rate dips into the low 20s? I'm kinda bummed about it. Someone make me feel better please (don't tell me to play handheld mode lol).

supposedly they're really infrequent and present themselves more in the beginning of the game

so you won't see it happen a lot and they seemingly become rarer as the game goes on

(also play in handheld mode ;p)

Albo

does every zelda related amiibo do something in the game? and what do they do?

no one has provided a good answer to this yet because no one has played it yet (which hasn't stopped some of them from declaring it a revolutionary step forward etc).

Seems others just have more faith in press opinions than you (I don't blame you tbh). They're echoing press thoughts which answer your questions, and that revolutionary qoute came from here I think https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124437859?t=39m35s

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ok the cuccos kind of got me. I'm out, sorry guys and gals. See you on launch day.

Its infrequent and many previewers said they barely encountered it after initial section of the game.

ckaneo

It's mainly in the opening area and not that gamebreaking apparently

Makai

Yeah. I saw it in person and it was every time they hit an enemy as well as randomly while running around. I'm definitely starting out in handheld mode cause fuck that.

Servbot24

Banned
Weapon durability may be my favorite thing I've heard about this game so far. Sounds really cool to always have to be looking out for new weapons.

Oh, those i can handle. Have played plenty of games with framerate problems, Dark Souls comes to mind and i still loved Blighttown anyway. :)

As long as it doesn't turn into a slideshow i'm good.

From the review thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230992495&postcount=380
Frame rate is a little uneven on the Wii U version, dropping to teens in very busy sequences like heavy weather effects. Rarely when it matters. Nuts and bolts combat is a little unpredictable at times but that encourages you to the many other tools and powers at your disposal.

3DShovel

locked 20fps is better than dipping from 30 to 20 regularly.
Lol I knew someone would respond to this.

Anyway, dips are really not a big deal. No mention anywhere of it being Blighttown-bad, and I still have fond memories of Blighttown. Sucks if you can't see past it, though, but I understand completely.

Caelus

Lol I knew someone would respond to this.

Anyway, dips are really not a big deal. No mention anywhere of it being Blighttown-bad, and I still have fond memories of Blighttown. Sucks if you can't see past it, though, but I understand completely.

I don't mind frame drops if they're infrequent, but the original Ocarina was built around being 20 fps. BotW is a 30 fps game, frequent frame drops are disrupting, especially with the immediate feedback one would expect from the gameplay.

As long as they aren't a detriment to the overall experience, I'm good.

3DShovel

I don't mind frame drops if they're infrequent, but the original Ocarina was built around being 20 fps. BotW is a 30 fps game, frequent frame drops are disrupting, especially with the immediate feedback one would expect from the gameplay.

As long as they aren't a detriment to the overall experience, I'm good.
Again, doesn't bother me too much as DS had tons of drops on console and I had no problems there.

But yeah, seems like most are just mentioning the mere existence of it rather than saying it's gamebreaking, so that's good.

vareon

So in this game compared to other open worlds, what does it do that convinces you that it has more freedom? Just curious

From what we've seen so far, the freedom lies in emergence gameplay through its physics and AI. The physics lets you do some cool stuff (skybombing enemy camps, launching a boulder right into it), the AI does unexpected things (a bigger enemy throws a smaller enemy at you, a skeleton head crawls back into its body, etc).

Individually, these stuff may have been done in a game before (though I haven't seen an open world game with this level of physics?) but a lot of these things, plus Nintendo's top tier polish, seems like a recipe for a great game.

Top Bottom