• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KrQXDsR.png

"Ranked in the top 0.0% of games scored on OpenCritic"

Holy fucking shit
SWEET BABY CHEESUS

vareon

The Waypoint article on this is great. It doesn't tell you everything you already knew (breaking conventions, etc etc) but go straight to telling stories Austin encountered in game. Beautiful stuff.

Malus

Another 10 on MC by Atomix.

"A titanic open world full of life and things to do, a robust combat system, the best story ever to grace the series, an unprecedented artistic direction, puzzles that will blow your mind...are only some of the elements that make The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild an authentic masterpiece that will leave a mark on this medium forever."

tauroxd

So pretty much all mainstream and important webs and publications have reviewed 9+, so it probobly won't have a 8 or so socre from a publication that matters... This thing is going places. Now to see if it actually deserves it... I'm dying here waiting for tomorrow... It is horrible.

Here's a question: will the amazing critical reception of this game stop us from having recurring "who besides Nintendo/EAD would you want to make a Zelda game?" threads?

Realeza

Banned
New 10/10 from Mexican website Atomix:

A titanic open world full of life and things to do, a robust combat system, the best story ever to grace the series, an unprecedented artistic direction, puzzles that will blow your mind...are only some of the elements that make The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild an authentic masterpiece that will leave a mark on this medium forever.

http://atomix.vg/review-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/

KayMote

I feel so foolish right now - I wanted to play Zelda BotW for the first playthrough on the Switch to have the best possible experience, but since I can't afford to buy the Switch right now I was prepared to wait a few months.

Well, after all those glowing reviews I decided: Nope, I can't wait. I will pick up the Wii U version tomorrow and hope that I can get used to the framerate issues this version seems to have. Really excited! Nintendo did it again!

I do think it's a bit annoying people like to shout "BUT BUT SKYWARD SWORD WAS ACCLAIMED TOO!".

Yeah, Skyward Sword did generally receive rave reviews, but nothing quite on the same level as BOTW. It has a lower 93 and even then, if you look hard enough, you can see through the cracks. There's a handful of 7s and even one 6. Meanwhile, this game has yet to receive anything lower than a 9.

SS clearly didn't capture people's hearts in minds in the same way that BotW is doing right now, but I don't understand the need for post like yours to downplay it's critical success at every turn in every LoZ thread.
If you hated the game or thought it was just okay, that's great you have an opinion just like everybody else, but for a lot of folks (including the vast majority of the critics you've linked to) it was the Wii's swan song and a pretty great one at that.

GDGF

Soothsayer
No score obviously, because waypoint boyyyyyys (and girls), but Austin is straight up head over heels for this game (which was telegraphed a bit in recent podcasts). Great write up here: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/breath-of-the-wild-is-the-zelda-adventure-ive-always-wanted

there's an audio version too, and you can tell he damn near gets choked up just recalling some of these experiences and reiterating some of his thoughts. this FUCKING game

That was beautiful.

mo60

it had 56 reviews for most of the day.

the last couple hours.....its gotten like 6 more 10/10's.

how many more does it need to get for Metacritic to just say f** it...and give it the crown

If it does average 99 on MC eventually it will only be for a few hours.

Servbot24

Banned
I feel so foolish right now - I wanted to play Zelda BotW for the first playthrough on the Switch to have the best possible experience, but since I can't afford to buy the Switch right now I was prepared to wait a few months.

Well, after all those glowing reviews I decided: Nope, I can't wait. I will pick up the Wii U version tomorrow and hope that I can get used to the framerate issues this version seems to have. Really excited! Nintendo did it again!

I am in the same dilemma... not sure whether to play now on Wii U or wait a few months. I've got plenty of games to get through in the meantime tbh.

I'm getting the hang of the game now, man this game can be hard but finally got some better clothing and weapons, which helps a lot. I'm having a blast playing it.

The only 2 things I can find fault with is the framerate stutters, it gets choppy in towns and forests (I'm sure it will annoy some) and the other thing is the usual open world (Ubisoft) trope of climbing towers to update the map. It would be nice if the map updated while exploring because it can break the flow of exploring a bit, because it forces you to make the slow climb up a tower, if you want to know what's in the area.

For those reason's, I wouldn't give it a perfect score but it's still a brilliant game and a very solid 9/10 for me.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to have a back up pre-order cause of Amazon just to play day 1.

Now I'm just trying to focus on studying for my test tomorrow.

And that Giant Bomb revealed that the
bottle
item is not in this game? No way I can 3 heart challenge this game soon. And I thought 3 hearts no armor upgrade Hero Mode was hard in LBW.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting the hang of the game now, man this game can be hard but finally got some better clothing and weapons, which helps a lot. I'm having a blast playing it.

The only 2 things I can find fault with is the framerate stutters, it gets choppy in towns and forests (I'm sure it will annoy some) and the other thing is the usual open world (Ubisoft) trope of climbing towers to update the map. It would be nice if the map updated while exploring because it can break the flow of exploring a bit, because it forces you to make the slow climb up a tower, if you want to know what's in the area.

For those reason's, I wouldn't give it a perfect score but it's still a brilliant game and a very solid 9/10 for me.

Eh..

I think that climbing a tower makes more sense. Link climbs the tower gets view for the land and updates his map.

Also didn't the patch fix most of the framerate issues?

lt519

Skyward Sword was praised but not like this. Once in the 90s every single point in the scale means you have to have that many more major critics give it a perfect score. You have to read the reviews too, there is a sense of awe that you don't get in TP or SS reviews.

Going from a 93 to a 98 is much more of a difference than a 83 to an 88.

That's what's got me hyped the most, I didn't think we'd every see a game reviewed like this again and the last time we did it was Super Mario Galaxy which is in my Top 5 of all time.

bomma_man

Man why do I have to work 12 hours today, it's sitting right there 😔😔😔😔

(Had to go to three shops before I found a Wii u copy btw)

Eh..

I think that climbing a tower makes more sense. Link climbs the tower gets view for the land and updates his map.

Also didn't the patch fix most of the framerate issues?

While that is true, it's how slow the climbing is that can be a little annoying after the 4th or 5th tower. I definitely enjoy Horizon's towers more.

It still stutters from time to time, playing on Wii U but getting Switch tomorrow.

They are minor faults and no game is perfect anyway but it's still an awesome game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom