• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda Funny Games said the shrines are better than dungeons of past Zelda games.

agtmbomg.gif

Randomizer

Absolutely staggering scores. The next Zelda game will have massive shoes to fill. Maybe they'll do a Majora's Mask and use the same engine/assets to make a new alternate world and story.

Too excited to sleep right now. My Switch could be here as early as 8 hours from now but Zelda probably won't arrive for at least 12 hours :/.

HeySeuss

According to the Zelda cycle, this is where everyone loves the game. In 3 months, it'll be a shit game that was overrated. In 9 mo this it'll be the best game ever again.

kunonabi

Kinda Funny Games said the shrines are better than dungeons of past Zelda games.

I could see that in terms of pure puzzle quality but there is much more to the appeal of Zelda dungeons than just the puzzles inside that I find that impossible to believe.

Realeza

Banned
One of my favorite things in Twilight Princess were the mini dungeons scattered around the overworld (even though there were like only 10 of them). To think there's over a hundred in this game blows my away.

rekameohs

Banned
I wonder how this game will influence Nintendo in general.
It does seem like with this and Mario Odyssey Nintendo is embracing Open World, but then again, the industry as a whole has been as well.

I do wonder if they will ever put this much effort into a single title, though. I mean, the amount of hours spent creating BOTW has to be enormous.

Before we embark on the journey that is Breath of the wild, let us all appreciate....

....What a great fucking game Skyward Sword is.

Ancient cistern

The dessert area

Time switch stones

Girahim

Demise

ANCIENT CISTERN

Pheeeeew

DAT ending, tear jerker.

DAT soundtrack, amazing.

Let the Zelda cycle come into effect. Let us join hands and love skyward sword.

Goddamn amazing. Is this the best reviewed game ever?

Edit: I now see that it is. Incredible job Nintendo. Looks like I'll be picking up a switch sooner than I had anticipated.

I'm so hyped for the Nintendo Switch midnight launch tonight that I'm watching this movie to continue the hype:

wizard.jpg

I haven't been this excited for a Nintendo system launch since the original NES in 1985!

ryechu

Goddamn amazing. Is this the best reviewed game ever?

Edit: I now see that it is. Incredible job Nintendo. Looks like I'll be picking up a switch sooner than I had anticipated.

In terms of the superlative positivity in the text of the reviews? Maybe. In terms of a metacritic score, It's 4th below Ocarina, GTAIV and Tony Hawk.

Kraq

^Let's not. Skyward Sword is the worst 3D Zelda game and a mediocre game (by AAA standards) in general.

As for BOTW, I'm getting an MGSV-feel here, except that they've kept the Zelda feel to it, whilst MGSV lacked that MGS quirkiness. I'm looking forward to playing this game whenever I get my hands on it, which will unfortunately be in a year or so. As long as the story is decent enough to at least compliment the stunning gameplay, I'll be most pleased.

Fanuilos

Before we embark on the journey that is Breath of the wild, let us all appreciate....

Ancient cistern

The dessert area

Time switch stones

Girahim

Demise

ANCIENT CISTERN

Pheeeeew

DAT ending, tear jerker.

DAT soundtrack, amazing.

Nah, how about we just play Breath of the Wild.

I'm giggling like a school girl today. 31 years later and Nintendo is still peerless when it comes to video game design. That Nintendo magic is a real phenomenon. Can't wait to bury myself into this game tomorrow.

In terms of the superlative positivity in the text of the reviews? Maybe. In terms of a metacritic score, It's 4th below Ocarina, GTAIV and Tony Hawk.

I've never played Ocarina, but both GTAIV and Tony Hawk were amazing in their day. If this matches those in quality I think I'm willing to drop $400 or whatever to play this soon.

Ducktail

I was away on a work trip. I just came back and I find all of these perfect fucking scores.

Holy guacamole... I need to have this game. I was planning to pick it up alongside a Switch in September. Nope, can't wait. Gonna pick it up for the WiiU. I reckon it must be just as solid.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
According to the Zelda cycle, this is where everyone loves the game. In 3 months, it'll be a shit game that was overrated. In 9 mo this it'll be the best game ever again.

This doesn't apply to everyone and also doesn't apply all Zelda games. Proof: Wind Waker/Wind Waker Remastered.

What you're stating mainly happened with Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, which were both divisive games because of what they did annoyingly(unskippable massively long tutorial segments and intro, game pausing every time an item was picked up, world feeling more restricted even if it looks nice art-wise, characters and storylines that lead to nowhere). I personally disliked Skyward Sword from first playing it(and still do) and thought it was one of the worst Zelda games, taking the worst lessons/aspects from Twilight Princess and cranking them to 11.

Breath of The Wild is Zelda 1/Zelda 2/Link to the Past/Wind Waker with even more sandbox elements, finally brought into 3d because the current technology made it possible.

ghostmind

Well now.

I was going to wait until Christmas to get a Switch, so that I'd have at least Mario to go along with Zelda, but this crazy score is making me reconsider.

I hadn't seen Atomix, Yahoo, or Cheat Code Central all at 100s as listed in the meta before now, even though it looks like not a lot of new reviews were added. Still kind of crazy.

I'd love to be wrong. I had my hopes on the major dungeons but those apparently aren't all that much better. Hopefully, these rumblings of more traditional side dungeons pan out.

I'll find that hard to believe.

No game with 'dungeons', as we've come to understand them, quite rivals Twilight Princess' dungeons. If the SHRINES are better, and there are like 100+ of them, that's quite an achievement.

maxresdefault.jpg

C2BqWOTUQAAkZ1i.jpg

BELIEVE.

Crazyorloco

I think I'm going to love this game. I love that shrines are mini dungeons. I sometimes would dread dungeons in the prior zeldas because they were long, these smaller dungeons are more my style. Especially on the go.

I also like that there's less hand holding in this game...

Nintendo's basically saying

" do you boo boo"

Ancient cistern

The dessert area

Time switch stones

Girahim

Demise

ANCIENT CISTERN

Pheeeeew

DAT ending, tear jerker.

DAT soundtrack, amazing.

Skyward Sword is the best Zelda (besides BoTW as it seems) and my favorite game in the world. Would love to replay this sometime.

I believe both of these games were directed by the same guy right?

Cross posting from the OT.

Everyone should listen to the new bonus episode of the Waypoint Podcast Austin Walker put up today. You can also just read the write up here

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/breath-of-the-wild-is-the-zelda-adventure-ive-always-wanted

Great read/listen. He effortlessly conveys EXACTLY what I've been feeling since I started playing Breath of the Wild.

Are there spoilers in this?

I'll find that hard to believe.

No game with 'dungeons', as we've come to understand them, quite rivals Twilight Princess' dungeons. If the SHRINES are better, and there are like 100+ of them, that's quite an achievement.

They're not saying an individual shrine is better than an individual dungeon. They're saying shrines as a whole are better than dungeons as a whole.

Nick

Sorry if this has already been answered but I don't want to read 112 pages, but how is the Wii U version of this game? I cancelled my Switch pre-order and I'm #notashamed.

Anarky

Banned
I wonder if any future open world games will be inspired by the game and decide to utilize physics and environmental interaction more.

I'd def like to see more open world games utilize physics and interaction with their environments in a more meaningful manner.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if any future open world games will be inspired by the game and it's critical acclaim and decide to utilize physics and environmental interaction more.

I'd def like to see more open world games utilize physics in a more meaningful manner.

This would be too good of a timeline to exist in.

Cross posting from the OT.

Everyone should listen to the new bonus episode of the Waypoint Podcast Austin Walker put up today. You can also just read the write up here

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/breath-of-the-wild-is-the-zelda-adventure-ive-always-wanted

Great read/listen. He effortlessly conveys EXACTLY what I've been feeling since I started playing Breath of the Wild.

As if anyone's hype levels couldn't be intensified any further...that is an amazingly good read!

This really is the game of all time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom