• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed Skyward Sword and appreciate both it's ambition in terms of combat and the cleverness of many of its ideas. And 90% of the time I enjoyed the swordplay. However, I cannot consider it top-tier Zelda. For me:

Top Tier (one of those rare masterful gaming experiences (at least at the time)):
---------------
LttP
OoT
MM

Middle Tier (still great, many fond memories):
----------------
WW
TP
SS
LA

Bottom Tier (pretty enjoyable):
-----------------
PH

I haven't played the rest.

Wind Waker is top tier for me.

I'm a dungeon guy so that's going to be a major downer for me. I don't expect to hate it though.

I'm a dungeon guy too, but from what I'm hearing regarding the dungeons + shrines that offer bosses - it's more than enough to satiate and even surpass the OOT/TP/SS dungeon experience!

Just finished. My God this had me more hyped than anything. Just a few more hours, I cannot wait!!!

Someone should make a podcast of BoTW player stories.

It's unbelievable isn't it?!?

Between Austin Walker's read and HMK's preview video - it's like there could never be a better game in any genre *ever* lol!

Instro

Might be time for Aonuma to ride off to a new franchise. His goal for years was to top OoT, seems like he has finally done it, or is as close as he is going to get.

Yarbskoo

As this is a random forgotten game that's unplayable today notably due to basically nonexistent gameplay feedback, this doesn't really refute the point of the person you were quoting. He responded to a shitpost about how BOTW's success is due to Western games when Nintendo is actually known to have made plenty of these open games with a sense of adventure well before 2007

I wasn't trying to refute his point. He said "the legend of zelda was the very FIRST open world game period"

That's not true.

Alrus

Is it at all spoilery?

In what sense? It doesn't spoil any of the story, but it will talk (vaguely) about locations and some of the things that happened to him while playing. If you wanna go totally fresh I wouldn't listen to it. Otherwise go ahead, it's a great listen/read.

miyalink.png

"There are more 10s for Zelda than atoms in the universe."

casiopao

All the salt from this thread can filled a whole mountain lol.^^

Just let it go guys. Review don't really matter here. Zelda may get 100 10/10 but if you never like the series, you can just skip there and let other enjoy the game.^^ Just like me loving Kirby and Bomberman that any kind of review score is a okay unless it is Bomberman Act Zero.^^

el_Nikolinho

Neo Member
How are the Zelda haters gonna spin these review scores?

Never been interested in a zelda game (always a sega sony/xbox boy). Probably going to see if I can walk in and get a switch just for this game. Consider me a switched zelda hater (not really hater, just didn't have any interest)

I'm excited as hell to play Breath of the Wild, but I am equally excited to see what they can iterate out of the same type of game world in a sequel. I think the framework is there to really play around with it for another few games in the series. Basically make a Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask out of Breath of the Wild and its sequel.

I really enjoyed Skyward Sword and appreciate both it's ambition in terms of combat and the cleverness of many of its ideas. And 90% of the time I enjoyed the swordplay. However, I cannot consider it top-tier Zelda. For me:

Top Tier (one of those rare masterful gaming experiences (at least at the time)):
---------------
LttP
OoT
MM

Middle Tier (still great, many fond memories):
----------------
WW
TP
SS
LA

Bottom Tier (pretty enjoyable):
-----------------
PH

I haven't played the rest.
Link's Awakening was my absolute favorite. I think a great deal of what makes a great game is which you first played.

Before last year, I would have never believed we'd get a Zelda like this.

Before this year, I would have never believed we'd get a Mario like Odyssey.

Don't lose hope in Metroid.
This really does feel like the beginning of a new golden age for Nintendo. Mario Odyssey looks like it's going to be god tier as well.

Speely

Banned
I'm excited as hell to play Breath of the Wild, but I am equally excited to see what they can iterate out of the same type of game world in a sequel. I think the framework is there to really play around with it for another few games in the series. Basically make a Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask out of Breath of the Wild and its sequel.

HNNNG. This. A framework like this screams for that kind of iteration.

I wonder what the dungeon DLC will be like? What if it's a completely different kind of dungeon than is in the game?

So many possibilities when you have such an open system of mechanics.

Abelard

Always knew it would review well (though perhaps not THIS well), but even a 100 MC score couldn't get me to purchase a Switch at this time :p

Before last year, I would have never believed we'd get a Zelda like this.

Before this year, I would have never believed we'd get a Mario like Odyssey.

Don't lose hope in Metroid.
Perhaps in typical Metroid fashion it'll drop in the right time to never achieve the same glory as its Zelda and Mario peers while still matching them in every way.

The Argus

Ninety fucking eight? This might be the game of the year unless cyberpunk 2077 gets stealth released this year.

Which it isn't

RDR2 in my opinion is the only game that could match it. But we all know that's gonna be delayed. Why even bother releasing it in the same year if R* really wants another GotY.

SRTtoZ

This game is nuts. I'm only 30 minutes in but it almost feels Souls-like, where they just drop you into this giant world with little story and say 'ok go have fun'. It's really incredible so far.

takriel

Well I mean. The generation just started for the switch lol. They could still release a game with a higher Metacritic. Unlikely with how harsh reviews are nowadays. But possible
I would say with this score it's likely a very strong contender for game of the generation (Wii U, PS4, Xbone, Switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom