• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild runs at 900p (docked) and 720p (handheld)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
You can't, because that stream was (on Twitch) and is (on YouTube) only 720p.

While still YouTube the direct feed videos people have posted like GameXplain, Polygon and such should be the same version as the Treehouse event and they are 1080p, but I'm not sure how viable that is given youtube's compression mucking things up.

No. I got invited to a Nintendo Switch event and played Breath of the Wild for 20 minutes. I was told that the game is 720p docked, 900p on screen and at 60FPS.

HOWEVER!!!

At the Nintendo Switch event, they were running the Wii U version on the Nintendo Switch. They were not supposed to be telling people this but some of the staff did let it slip.
Yes, sub 30FPS, severe frame drops and really awkward draw distance. Feel free to ask anything else I noticed while playing.

giphy.gif

Josh7289

While still YouTube the direct feed videos people have posted like GameXplain, Polygon and such should be the same version as the Treehouse event and they are 1080p, but I'm not sure how viable that is given youtube's compression mucking things up.

Why would they have the 1.0.0 (Treehouse) version?

slammer

No. I got invited to a Nintendo Switch event and played Breath of the Wild for 20 minutes. I was told that the game is 720p docked, 900p on screen and at 60FPS.

HOWEVER!!!

At the Nintendo Switch event, they were running the Wii U version on the Nintendo Switch. They were not supposed to be telling people this but some of the staff did let it slip.
Yes, sub 30FPS, severe frame drops and really awkward draw distance. Feel free to ask anything else I noticed while playing.

The Wii U version CAN'T run on the Switch, it's different hardware. It's more likely that they ported the Wii U demo to Switch. Any performance issues you see there are NOT indicative how the game would run on the Wii U, it's more likely that it was a build that wasn't optimized for the Switch.

HOWEVER!!!

that's not how any of this works. at all.

the switch cannot run wii u software natively. even if it could run it via emulation or wrapping of some kind it would not be representative of the way a wii u would run it.

also we have direct captures from digital foundry showing it running at 900p30 with very few drops.

that's not how any of this works. at all.

the switch cannot run wii u software natively. even if it could run it via emulation or wrapping of some kind it would not be representative of the way a wii u would run it.

also we have direct captures from digital foundry showing it running at 900p30 with very few drops.

He may not have phrased it correctly- the discrepancy is that the demo version that DF captured is labeled as version 12S, whereas the Treehouse version is 1.0.

This suggests that the demo version was a quick port of the Wii U E3 demo, rather than something completely optimized for the Switch. This doesn't mean version 1.0 is 1080p or anything but it could mean there will be differences between that version and the demo version.

Zedark

HOWEVER!!!

I think doing that would cost even more processing power than "just" raising the resolution to 1080p and the frame rate to 60 fps. I think you are being misled by an uninformed attendant.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Why would they have the 1.0.0 (Treehouse) version?

Attendees didn't actually play the off Plateau segments they were just allowed to watch reps play it and several were told it was the full game. GameXplain even mentions that at one point they saw the quest screen right when the stopped capturing and said it included some quests that seemed pretty late game and big and they, the Nintendo Reps, and he all acknowledged he wasn't supposed to see that.

Xdrive05

This suggests that the demo version was a quick port of the Wii U E3 demo, rather than something completely optimized for the Switch. This doesn't mean version 1.0 is 1080p or anything but it could mean there will be differences between that version and the demo version.

Yes, this.

And we do know for a fact that there are differences between the two.

Has anyone counted pixels on the Treehouse stream yet? That's probably the one we're getting at retail. Who knows if they'll hit 1080 or not. But it does appear to run way better at whatever the resolution.

Yes, this.

And we do know for a fact that there are differences between the two.

Has anyone counted pixels on the Treehouse stream yet? That's probably the one we're getting at retail. Who knows if they'll hit 1080 or not. But it does appear to run way better at whatever the resolution.

I asked this above, apparently the stream itself was 720p so that won't work.

Buggy Loop

The fuck is this? Is your 4K TV 32 inches or something?

It's science

http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

At 15", he would need ~105" TV to notice the difference between 1080p and 4K with a 20:20 vision (cough unlikely).

So many peoples are saying they are blown away from 4K, i imagine that a majority of them experiences the same effect as wine tasters having their opinions skewed with expensive bottles. I've seen peoples say that their 1080p set was mind blowing... when i saw it was plugged with RCA cables -_-;

Josh7289

Attendees didn't actually play the off Plateau segments they were just allowed to watch reps play it and several were told it was the full game. GameXplain even mentions that at one point they saw the quest screen right when the stopped capturing and said it included some quests that seemed pretty late game and big and they, the Nintendo Reps, and he all acknowledged he wasn't supposed to see that.

Sure enough, this Polygon video has the weather forecast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310PF8ctRTM

But I don't see the title screen for definitive proof of the version number.

Anyway, I'm not good at pixel counting, but there it is.

Zedark

Sure enough, this Polygon video has the weather forecast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310PF8ctRTM

The weather forecast has been found to also appear on the demo units, as it can be seen in the later parts of the Digital Foundry analysis. So, that is not any longer indicative of a specific version.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Unfortunately the Weather Forecast is not a good indicator. I rewatched the Digital Foundry footage and turns out that the Forecast icons appear after you visit the Great Plateau Tower and speak with the Old Man. Which makes sense they likely have the weather and maybe even time disabled until you activate that initial tower.

But given the info we do have I think it's still a strong likelihood that the direct feed footage of off Plateau gameplay is more likely to the full game like Treehouse had rather than a branch of the demo.

For what it's worth, I played the demo in London on Saturday. The rep at my station also said the final game would be 720p60 portable and 1080p60 docked, but that the demo I was playing was an older version - effectively the same as the E3 demo, but obviously a Switch build. I forget what he said my demo was running at in terms of resolution, but the frame rate was definitely 30.

I honestly don't know how much faith we should put in these statements, but it seems clear they were told these stats by somebody...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
For what it's worth, I played the demo in London on Saturday. The rep at my station also said the final game would be 720p60 portable and 1080p60 docked, but that the demo I was playing was an older version - effectively the same as the E3 demo, but obviously a Switch build. I forget what he said my demo was running at in terms of resolution, but the frame rate was definitely 30.

I honestly don't know how much faith we should put in these statements, but it seems clear they were told these stats by somebody...

Unless I'm mistaken it seems like the London event is the only place people were hearing this 720p/60fps and 1080p/60fps retail target. So someone or some people screwed up there cause that seems impossible.

But at least NY and London, and possibly Paris, all had mentions of the Switch version being an older build if not the Wii U E3 version. So that's interesting.

guek

Banned

raw

People should expect 900p until we actually see evidence of anything better or an official statement is made

Where did the report of 1080/60 even come from? That seems crazy to go from 720/900 sub 30fps to 1080/60. The difference to do that is massive.

SystemUser

I feel like this should be taken as concrete proof that the reps at the events are full of shit and not close we to the dev team at all. Zelda is not going to be 60 fps in either mode. Event reps are clearly not giving consistent and reliable information. It sound like they were not properly trained since Nintendo kept everything so secret.

So press (at least Polygon and GameXplain) was allowed to capture video from (what looks like) the final build.

Is there any website that has this footage as a direct download, without youtube compression?

I know DF has a vid for their Patreon users, but it´s still the E3 Demo.

He may not have phrased it correctly- the discrepancy is that the demo version that DF captured is labeled as version 12S, whereas the Treehouse version is 1.0.

That is what I've been saying. It's been stated it was a Wii U version. Even still. You attend a Nintendo event which is showcasing Zelda and yet it runs at 30FPS with noticeable frame drops. What else are you going to think on this? This is a fact of the event. The game ran pretty badly which is a bad way to showcase a new system and new game.

Exactly! Whatever build they had it was clearly under performing and not the final version, even at one point it's not the Switch version but most likely a port.

gamerMan

First of all, that entire comment you quoted was in response to a post that said the best looking PS4 Bone game were cross gen which was untrue. It had nothing to do with Zelda and you had zero reason to discuss what you did with me.
Sorry I misquoted you.

While it doesn't have physics based gameplay nor is it open world, if it comes to sheer amount of moving objects that interact with the player and the density of said objects then Uncharted 4 is the undisputed king

While some stuff in Uncharted is realtime, most of Uncharted 4's "physics" are just animations that have been precomputed by a program like Houdini and exported as animations. When the collisions happen, the animations are played. There is no physics. Here's how Houdini was used to create Uncharted 4's "physics".

You might mistake that what Naughty Dog is doing is computed in realtime. That's great because Naughty Dog has convinced you it's happening in realtime and it makes the game more immersive. However, because it is baked, it does not effect gameplay. It's all a carefully scripted illusion.You can tell things are in realtime if the dynamics of the motions change, ie the forces during runtime. Thus, the movement is determined by variables that can be changed dynamically by a script.

Naughty Dog uses a mixture of realtime and prebaked but mostly everything is baked. Go back and play the biggest set piece in the Uncharted 4 with Nate being dragged in the mud. All of the objects are just precomputed animations from Houdini. They always move in the same way.

Now I am sure that Zelda fakes or approximates a lot of things, but that's because physics is expensive especially when applied to every object in the world. You have to approximate but that doesn't mean your approximations are free as you can't just bake something into an animation like Uncharted 4.

I do not see anything in Zelda that I didn't see in a decade old game like Farcry 2 in terms of physics, density and emergent gameplay. For reference, Farcry 2 had fire propagation, wind and weather physics, abundant destructible objects, soft body physics for almost all the foliage with close to zero clipping

I don't remember Far Cry 2 running well on PS3. Also, you bring up Far Cry 2's propagation system. It's not really physics based. If it was, it would bring the framerate down to an unplayable level. Shortcuts had to be taken to get it to run in realtime. Like most physics in game, it's all faked to run in realtime. It doesn't even use math or physics. Here is how it was done.

Glad to see Nintendo did the right thing and clarified everything to IGN.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nintendo-explains-differences-between-switch-wii-u-versions-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

I guess you can say by now that both IGN and Eurogamer couldn't debunk what the rep told me, even with IGN talking with Aonuma-san.

My two cents: This is easy. In a parallel universe Nintendo should be clear about these issues and post/publish an official statement. I'm sure they could do it at some point. But then again, that's so Un-Nintendo. Back to this universe it doesn't fucking matter. Zelda is a gorgeous game, looks incredible both in handheld mode and dock mode. Period.

For anyone who's still having issues with the fact that the game runs at x resolutions and that's not enough for your 2017-cyborg-pixel-counting-eyes just go get a high-end PC and make it bleed colors on some random generic FPS game. There's nothing wrong with that. Just be real and understand who Nintendo is and why this doesn't matter.

One more thing: the rep told me he worked at the Nintendo Tokyo office. I guess you can call that a reliable source since he was not a part time staff person just hired to work at the event. And of course, I have to remind you that my eyes are not as advanced as many cyborgs over here, so clearly I couldn't corroborate that what he said was in fact true. I just posted what he told me and so far, it seems that he was right.

I'm starting to think people in this thread are disappointed that the Switch isn't made of pixie dust and if you clap it would perform miracles. Is it really appropriate to compare something the size of a 3Ds XL to a slab and a cinder block?

Lom1lo

I'm starting to think people in this thread are disappointed that the Switch isn't made of pixie dust and if you clap it would perform miracles. Is it really appropriate to compare something the size of a 3Ds XL to a slab and a cinder block?

Ähm yeah, Im disappointed because switch docked mode cannot push from 720p to 1080p with arround 2,25x gpu power. I dont think this was a inappropriate expectation.

Fluxdyne

What is the widespread consensus for Skyward Sword? That game slipped past my radar because I was never enamored with the Wii's motion control. In terms of world building, was it on the level of Ocarina of Time, or was it just as reductive as Wind Waker was, with little variety int he locales?
It has a nice variety, but traveling between places flying through the sky feels like a going through boring world hub. It kind of breaks the immersion of a single world. It is much worse than WW's sea.

Stencil

Okay this makes me question what I know about modern consoles; how many PS4 and Xbone titles hit 1080p? I was under the impression this was the default, so to speak. Does the Wii U have any 1080p games?

Forgive me for the silly question; I got impatient wading through replies and started questioning all I knew.

Top Bottom