• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild **SPOILER FREE** Impression Thread

Anteo

I find it weird that Spirit Tracks takes place only 100 years after Phantom Hourglass. That means that it's actually possible that two Links were alive at the same time, right? Like even if we say Link in Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass is ~15, and in Spirit Tracks he's ~15, then that means ST Link was born 85 years after PH takes place, oh, eh no that would make PH Link exactly 100 when ST Link was born. That's cutting it pretty close for a reincarnation! Link could have literally been his own grandfather from PH to ST hahahaha

There is also the whole thing with gramps from A Link Between Worlds, for some reason on the game ending credits there is a whole scene with him as the center and with the main zelda theme playing, plus he is an optional boss as a shadow link battle and he is a 100% maxed link (all hearts, best tunic, best shield, best sword, upgraded items, great spin). It is posible that he is another Link who is still around while the current Link is in the middle of a quest.

Maddrical

Yes, there is no other way to get Japanese audio unless you change the system settings. Even then, I think the subtitles are in Japanese.

Thanks man. Hope the English voice acting is at least decent for his sake. I think he's expecting Xenoblade Chronicles X levels of bad.

SomTervo

It's here.

8a2AwsR.jpg

About to dive in.

Console is absolutely insane.

FWIW this is my first ever Nintendo console.

Also I'll definitely be selling the Pro controller and shell case (uk only) pm me if you want in.

wbEMX

Sooooo... has anyone already tried BOTW Switch on a 5.1 surround system? Could you tell me if it even has 5.1 sound and if yes, did they finally mix the music in 5.1, unlike their stereo mixes on Wii U?

purdobol

Eh was hoping it'll arive today but it's getting late and no sign of a courier :(

Got one question for those who have Wii U version. How is the saving handled? Is it autosave or can i save manually. Want to have two seperate games since two people will be playing. Probably common knowledge by now but i'm still on media blackout for this title :p

Do we have confirmation that we have to complete the entire Cave of Shadows in Twilight Princess for the Wolf Link amiibo to work?
I ask because it saves to the amiibo in checkpoints and I have 18 hearts at the second checkpoint.. and I don't really feel like doing the final run lol

tesqui

I'm gonna get this game digital at launch.(Oh god I hope it's not a nightmare to download.) Do we know if our funds from WiiU/ 3DS eShop carry over?

ArchAngel

Played it for an hour now. Well, it has way more slowdowns than I thought, but it's still fun. here is a lot to come yet for me :D

My friend code if someone has a Switch: SW-1448-5212-4910

SomTervo

One of the nicest things about BotW is that if you pan the camera back it rises up until it's practically at an old-school 2D Zelda perspective.

I wonder if it's possible to play the entire thing top-down...

Played it for an hour now. Well, it has way more slowdowns than I thought, but it's still fun. here is a lot to come yet for me :D

My friend code if someone has a Switch: SW-1448-5212-4910

Funny, I'm about 1-2 hours in and only had one tiny slowdown. Seems good?

5olid_5nake

I know that it's not related to the topic, but please someone tell me if that Switch presentation trailer music is in the game ost?

SomTervo

In TV mode? Almost every jump had a slowdown in the starting area for me.

And no more rolling through the lands? :(

No rolling is super disappointing :(

But yeah, in TV mode I haven't had more than two slowdowns. And I've been jumping regularly.

It's meant to smooth out later, too.

Sakura

My impressions are it takes fucking forever to play the game.
Download game (which is slow as hell), then wait an hour to install the game. Finally I can play I thought, but no there is a 2GB patch that I need to download now, and it won't even let me play until I download it and install it. Wouldn't be such a big issue if they would let you preload games, Jesus.

My impressions are it takes fucking forever to play the game.
Download game (which is slow as hell), then wait an hour to install the game. Finally I can play I thought, but no there is a 2GB patch that I need to download now, and it won't even let me play until I download it and install it. Wouldn't be such a big issue if they would let you preload games, Jesus.

Physical Switch game cards for the win!

Seriously, game card becoming standard is an incredibly underappreciated feature of the Switch. No more game installs, super quick loading speeds, smaller game boxes...

EDIT:
Well, I'm on the Wii U unfortunately...

I figured, I just meant basically all of those problems go away with the Switch haha

Didn't mean to rub it in your face so I'm sorry if that's how it came off. I'm just super excited to get it and my Switch tonight.

Sakura

Physical Switch game cards for the win!

Seriously, game card becoming standard is an incredibly underappreciated feature of the Switch. No more game installs, super quick loading speeds, smaller game boxes...

Well, I'm on the Wii U unfortunately...

ArchAngel

It's meant to smooth out later, too.

After a while now the slowdowns are gone. Maybe it still installed the patch or it's the first boot up of the game. Way better now. Love the game!

Edit: mayor framedrops are back. Still great game ^^

I'm still missing rolling every second :(

For those playing, how's the main story line outside of the busy work (don't mean that in a derogatory way)...I just mean good/great/fantastic/ugly/ULTRA SHIT, no spoilers.

Osahi

It's here.

About to dive in.

Console is absolutely insane.

FWIW this is my first ever Nintendo console.

Also I'll definitely be selling the Pro controller and shell case (uk only) pm me if you want in.

Don't sell the pro controller. Seriously. You don't want to keep using the joycon grip for longer play sessions. Pro is leagues better and more comfortable.

Rixxan

Apologies if this has been asked already, but can you have multiple saves? ie. my wife wants a playthrough and I want a playthrough

Apologies if this has been asked already, but can you have multiple saves? ie. my wife wants a playthrough and I want a playthrough

On the Switch I believe each account gets its own set of saves (1 manual and 5 auto). Not sure if this works on the Wii U.

Griss

For those playing, how's the main story line outside of the busy work (don't mean that in a derogatory way)...I just mean good/great/fantastic/ugly/ULTRA SHIT, no spoilers.

The core narrative is probably the weakest of all the 3D zeldas. There's no ignoring the fact that because it's open world, they just can't have a defined beginning, middle and end to the story like they could in those other games. That said I haven't quite beat it yet.

As a narrative it's most like Majora's Mask, really, in that you know from the start what you have to do (stop the moon / kill calamity ganon) and stuff happens in and around that main thread. But Majora's Mask had far more interesting side stories and a more interesting set-up.

It's not an issue - the game is a throwback to the original LoZ, where the plot was 'Kill Gannon, save princess'. It's intentional, and it works great for what the game is.

That said, the main side characters you meet are charismatic and people will love them, I think. There'll certainly be tons of fan art.

Desperado

Did I just read a major end game spoiler on the last page?? Not even in a spoiler tag. What the fuck.

Edit: Never mind, it was for a different Zelda game that I haven't played. Phew...

There is also the whole thing with gramps from A Link Between Worlds, for some reason on the game ending credits there is a whole scene with him as the center and with the main zelda theme playing, plus he is an optional boss as a shadow link battle and he is a 100% maxed link (all hearts, best tunic, best shield, best sword, upgraded items, great spin). It is posible that he is another Link who is still around while the current Link is in the middle of a quest.

Holy shit whaaaaaat

That would be a really interesting angle for a Zelda game, the Hero is called to duty but the previous Hero is still alive and they both answer the call. They could have it be Co-Op like RE5 and RE6, you could swap between Links if you play alone and the other will be AI controlled, or you can play with a second player. That'd work in their "playing alone" thing they showed in that slide about breaking Zelda conventions.

They could also use it to answer fans wanting an "aged" Link in a game. Young Link and Old Link on a mission to save the day together. They could give them each unique abilities and Old Link could think his way is better, maybe he'd be more of a brute strength Link and the younger one is more cunning. Or they could reverse that and have the Young Link think he's a total hot shot and he knows better than the old guy, but eventually learns the way of the Hero by the end.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is this thread dead? Sucks that there's no place to talk about this game in a spoiler-free environment. I just took a very quick look at the OT earlier today, and instantly saw an unmarked semi-big spoiler. Sigh.

Top Bottom