• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

For EU peeps, Club Nintendo is still down so we can't register for our free soundtrack. If we miss getting it because the site isn't back up in time I will be furious.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
FuzzyNorman said:
Ok, so I'm going to be gone for the week when OoT 3D comes out, so I won't be able to register it onto Club Nintendo for the OST for at least a week. On Nintendo's website it says the OST is going to be limited supply. Will I be fine missing the first week and registering it the week after? I really want that OST! :p
I'd probably get someone to register it for you.

RpgN

Mistle said:
Gah, 15 days left for me ;_; Give impressions! Let us know if the 3D is as inconsistent as some people have said.

EDIT: I just realised I could have imported the UK copy on the 17th... But then again, I got the Ocarina edition. Hmm.

I'm not sure in what way you mean inconsistent (I haven't read what other people said) but I'll try my best.

I've played for about an hour and half and cleared the Deku Tree. I was focusing on the difference between 3D and 2D.

With 3D, the graphics are more lively and vibrant. There is more depth to things. There are more jaggies however, definitely in comparison to the 2D version. Also, this is probably something with most games on 3D, but the amount of 'ghosting' or objects you see double is really distracting, especially with dark backgrounds. If someone can tell me how to avoid the problem, I'd appreciate it! The game runs smoothly, 30fps from what I noticed.

On 2D, the graphics look a bit less vibrant and they're more smooth with less or hardly any jaggies. It really looks good on 2D with a different atmosphere thanks to the colours and smoothness. But, the characters and objects look more flat of course*.

*The 3D-ness is subtle and not that apparent in your face, but the more you play with it the more you notice it. I only played Pilotwings on 3D besides Zelda, so trained fans might notice it quicker and better.

As a whole, I'm having difficulties deciding which mode to stick with. I really like 3D and played mostly with that but the ghosting annoyed me when it became more apparent in certain areas. Also, it's really silly that you can move around with your 3DS to aim and look but it breaks the 3D effect! I guess it isn't a big deal since you can use the circle pad but it's still a silly design choice!

As for the graphics themselves, they look great in my opinion. Everything looks more sharp and detailed, you can view first person mode and everything looks nice. The water effect with lightning looks good, I saw Link's shadow moving around him at own point, and there was shadow from his footsteps for a while whilst walking as well. I wasn't paying attention wether it was there the whole time though. It definitely looks better than what the screenshots showed and the difference is pretty big in comparison to the N64 version. I don't know if I'd call it a remake or a good enhanced port since the game is very faithful to the original version.

The interface is also good and user friendly so far. Seriously, the game plays how you would expect. There is nothing wrong with it, and everything works the way it should. It's a shame the 3D effect breaks when looking on first person mode though.

And you can save wherever you want, I haven't tested it in a dungeon though. I don't know if it brings you back exactly where you saved. My memory is a bit foggy on how it went with the N64/gamecube version.

So yeah, it seems like the definitive version to me. Fans should be pleased with how the game runs. It's not going to feel fresh but it's going to look and feel better. I only played and finished the game once when WW was released, so it should feel more fresh to me.

And cheer up! You're going to get your hands on the game soon, not many days left :)

Jackano

PumpkinPie said:
For EU peeps, Club Nintendo is still down so we can't register for our free soundtrack. If we miss getting it because the site isn't back up in time I will be furious.
Yeah that's I was saying in my fucked up post in the wrong, yellow debate thread (sorry).

In Europe, Nintendo said we need to register before June 30th to get the soundtrack (so, no limited edition theorically). Maybe we will get an extra week because of the site problems.
But for the moment, even if the game is already released pretty much everywhere in PAL land, no need to worry or to give extra time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also, this is probably something with most games on 3D, but the amount of 'ghosting' or objects you see double is really distracting, especially with dark backgrounds.
This has become quite a bother in games with lots of heavy contrast on the 3DS. Definitely a major downside to this type of 3D technology.

RpgN

dark10x said:
This has become quite a bother in games with lots of heavy contrast on the 3DS. Definitely a major downside to this type of 3D technology.

Isn't there any way around it or being able to reduce it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RpgN said:
I don't think so. I suspect it will vary a bit from person to person, of course, but it seems like a limitation of this glasses free technology.

Luigi87

RpgN said:
And you can save wherever you want, I haven't tested it in a dungeon though. I don't know if it brings you back exactly where you saved. My memory is a bit foggy on how it went with the N64/gamecube version.

On the N64/GCN version: Outside a dungeon, Young Link returned to his home, Adult Link returned to the Temple of Time. Inside a dungeon Link returns to the dungeon entrance.

Phatcorns

How exactly are so many people playing the game already? There can't be that many people in here who have review copies, can there?

kanugo

PumpkinPie said:

Nice to see it's an european thing. I thought it was "in maintenance" only in my country. Maybe it goes up before Friday.

Mafro

PumpkinPie said:
Wouldn't put it past NoE.

RpgN

Phatcorns said:
How exactly are so many people playing the game already? There can't be that many people in here who have review copies, can there?

The official date is June the 17th in EU, but the shop I pre-ordered the game from had a date of 15th on their site. I guess they got it one day early and they called me straight.

Thanks Luigi87 and dark10x! It's a shame nothing can be done about it...I went in Kokiri forest for a bit and it was more apparent there, on the Deku Tree, you couldn't see it much. So I'll just pray it won't show too often :(

RpgN said:
It's a shame the 3D effect breaks when looking on first person mode though.

Did you mean to say it breaks when using the motion/gyro to look around? Surely the 3D works in normal first person mode!?

As for 3D breaking when you using the motion sensor, I didn't have that issue the few times I played AR games or Face Raiders, so it's more of a user-error than something unavoidable I think.

RpgN said:

I think you can reduce the ghosting somewhat by lowering the 3D slider, but that diminishes the 3D effect of course. I guess I might play the game in 2D in areas where the ghosting is bothersome, and in 3D otherwise.

Futureman

Naked Snake said:
Did you mean to say it breaks when using the motion/gyro to look around? Surely the 3D works in normal first person mode!?

I guess he's saying the 3D breaks if you move the 3DS but not your head. But that's obvious to anyone who's tried the 3D out.

Pretty sure moving around w/ the gyro w/ 3D on in Face Raiders didn't break the 3D as long as you move your head the same way you move the 3DS.

RpgN

Sorry, I should have explained that part better. Yeah, I meant when using the motion/gyro and you move your head. I also have that problem with Pilotwings sometimes because I tend to move my body/head a lot with racing games, games that have motion, I'm about to die etc XD

Ghosting seems to happen to me sometimes with a couple of games on the 3DS. I found out that it's because of my own eyes. It usually happens when I'm tired or my eyes are tired.

I found the rubbing my eyes, opening them really wide and blinking a few times took care of the ghosting.

Jackano

Phatcorns said:

Many retailers have the game in stock already and put it in the shelves.

GAME, one of the huge games retailer in UK and France sent text messages to their customers later this monday (yesterday) saying we can go to the shop and buy it.

But the official release date is still this upcoming friday.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I'm lucky my copy will arrive in the post tomorrow. Lucky because I have to go on a trip Thursday and it would be nice to play OoT during the two hour train journey.

Zomo

Super happy with the Australian case.
The primary reason I purchased my 3DS is for OOT :D Ocarina edition hells yeah! (still jealous of greece though)

jonno394

Oxx said:
Did I read something, somewhere about GAME doing a 3DS + OOT bundle for a decent price?

Only to those with a voucher they sent out to in the post. I don't know whether it's a "loyalty card" only voucher (i have a LC) or a voucher for those who registered to pre-order a 3DS and then cancelled before launch (like me).

3DS and Zelda:OOT 3d for £179.99

Either way, looking at the cancellations and specifically targeting them with a great offer makes a good prospect list for sales imo as they alread semi-want a 3ds, they just need a nudge.

That reminds me, did we ever get a comparison picture of
Ganon in 3DS vs N64? If not, then I hope no one posts pics. I want to see it when I get there

BY2K

Membero Americo
Kirbyguy said:
Ganon in 3DS vs N64? If not, then I hope no one posts pics. I want to see it when I get there

We see the 3DS version of him in the montage that played during the Press Conference's orchestra.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Kirbyguy said:

If he is like every other npcs in the game, the changes won't be huge.

Seems like Link is really the only character that got a nice upgrade.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The 3D envelop feels good. Nothing mind blowing but it surely draws me in. I had started Link's awakening, which is far better than I expected and now comes the dilemn, which game to play? 3DS won't leave my pocket this month :)

iyox

Just tried a Target in Chi and while they had the case sticker out for display, they wouldn't sell. Although, it was a gamer-looking dude manning the counter so I think he was up on the street date. Going to try my ghetto target tonight.

Oh hello there!
5pri51.jpg

HHHHNNNNGGGGHHH, nostalgia overload.

neoism

The Lamonster said:
Fuck NoA, that EU box art is beautiful :(
really this is a rare time That I like the US boxart better this time. Eu's is great too, but I really like the US art.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
neoism said:
really this is a rare time That I like the US boxart better this time. Eu's is great too, but I really like the US art.

Me too. The art on the EU cover is nice but it doesn't have that iconic look that the US art has.

Oxx

jonno394 said:
Only to those with a voucher they sent out to in the post. I don't know whether it's a "loyalty card" only voucher (i have a LC) or a voucher for those who registered to pre-order a 3DS and then cancelled before launch (like me).

3DS and Zelda:OOT 3d for £179.99

Either way, looking at the cancellations and specifically targeting them with a great offer makes a good prospect list for sales imo as they alread semi-want a 3ds, they just need a nudge.

Thanks.

It has been many a year since I have bought anything from Game, but they still do send the occasional flyer through the post, so I hope it's a loyalty card promotion.

Top Bottom