• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

shadyspace said:
Huh, doesn't seem to be any way to set Z-Targeting to Switch. No option menu. Sucks for you, freaks!

Yes, there is an options menu.

Hit START
Click OPTIONS
You can shift the targeting from hold to lock.
You can shift the aiming from normal to inverted (Y-Axis)
You can enable/disable motion controls (aiming)

TSA said:
Yes, there is an options menu.

Hit START
Click OPTIONS
You can shift the targeting from hold to lock.
You can shift the aiming from normal to inverted (Y-Axis)
You can enable/disable motion controls (aiming)
Doh. Thanks!

Man, I come all the way out here to the west coast, and I didn't even think to check for the street date being broken. I need to pay more attention tomorrow. I'm envious of all of you. : (

Man, that manual is pretty bleh.

You jelly, GAF?

rayfC.jpg

ohhhh wtf target broke street date.

I would go but the kids getting me it for fathers day so I gotta wait, even if they put it up for sale across the street tomorrow.

JackFrost said:
ohhhh wtf target broke street date.

I would go but the kids getting me it for fathers day so I gotta wait, even if they put it up for sale across the street tomorrow.

I had to ask for it... it's in the back.

Crap, Target broke street date? They probably got word from Nintendo by now to knock it off. Anyone think there's any chance of finding it tomorrow? Also, anyone in NJ-Gaf able to get it?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tenbatsu said:
Sucks for both.

Smision said:
but lets face it, maybe there are a couple hundred people or few thousand people in the world who care about the presentation of the manual outside of its utility. there probably won't even be real manuals within the next few years.
Oh I know, but sucks that Nintendo JUST started to do this now. I hope it's not a trend. They were one of the few keeping it alive.
Even Steel Diver has a 16-page color booklet.

Ketch

Checked the target near the airport in Portland, Oregon. No dice.... knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

I'm in no great hurry to play this considering I already played it 13 years ago, but it's annoying I can't just go to a store and pick it up when they get it considering it's a 13 year old game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
idwl said:
Why would nintendo care if a store broke the street date a few days earlier? Does it really matter?

Well... then games could be released anytime... right?

NateDrake

idwl said:
As long as the company has shipped it to the store. Who cares?
Nintendo does because they plan their marketing around the launch day. Street dates being broken does cause them some problems.

Clipper

RomanticHeroX said:
I'm in no great hurry to play this considering I already played it 13 years ago, but it's annoying I can't just go to a store and pick it up when they get it considering it's a 13 year old game.
You were playing it in 3D with Master Quest and boss rush built in 13 years ago?

idwl said:
As long as the company has shipped it to the store. Who cares?
While marketing is one point, it's also unfair to the stores that are further from the distribution point. They set a date that they can get product to all stores by the date so they can all release on the same day rather than having stores that receive the product early getting all the sales as they are the only ones with product to sell.

idwl

Clipper said:
While marketing is one point, it's also unfair to the stores that are further from the distribution point. They set a date that they can get product to all stores by the date so they can all release on the same day rather than having people getting it in early getting all the sales as they are the only ones with product to sell.
Oh okay. Now it makes sense. Thanks =)

Clipper said:
You were playing it in 3D with Master Quest and boss rush built in 13 years ago?
Near as. It just seems silly to me to be doing the big Nintendo push of events and the Sunday release for a port of an already well trodden game. Of course, I know being the only interesting 3DS product on shelves is the reason behind it.

Thoraxes

RomanticHeroX said:
Near as. It just seems silly to me to be doing the big Nintendo push of events and the Sunday release for a port of an already well trodden game. Of course, I know being the only interesting 3DS product on shelves is the reason behind it.
Still though, the game has only been released on shelves once, and digitally on WiiWare once. The GC Disc was never a sold product, but a limited pre-order item.

I think to call the game well-trodden is a huge overstatement.

Anyways, because of all the retailer deals Sunday, i'm going to pick this up and DoA for $60. Not bad at all, and thanks to whoever posted the CAG link.

goomba

Banned
Dam i wish i hadn't already played this game so many times...

Have to wait until JUne 30th and pay $73.36 USD for it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I work at target, at our store, there is an actual spot for Zelda on the floor, but I covered it up so people wont accidentally put it out...but maybe at other stores they are not as smart with their street date :p
(or you can ask for it in the backroom and see if that works)

Red

goomba said:
Dam i wish i hadn't already played this game so many times...

Have to wait until JUne 30th and pay $73.36 USD for it.
Not possible to like paypal someone some money in a place that can get it cheaper, then have it shipped to you? I'm not aware if the 3DS is region locked.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Living in Japan, spent 45 bucks on it on Play-Asia and another 12 to have it Fed-Exed so I can get it FASTAR.

57 dollars for Ocarina of Time, now you have done it Nintendo, now you have really done it.

take my money put it in me

bigjimmystyle said:
Haven't played this since '96. Didn;t get around to finishing it either. Should I begin with Master Quest?

Can't! Gotta beat it vanilla first.

storl026

bigjimmystyle said:
Haven't played this since '96. Didn;t get around to finishing it either. Should I begin with Master Quest?

Released on N64 November '98, and you have to beat the main game before Master Quest is unlocked.

bender

What time is it?
I'm surprised Target's POS system isn't blocking the transaction. It disallowed early sales of DreamTrigger when they had on shelves a week early.

AiTM

Banned
Only Zelda game I've ever played is Twighlight Princess on Wii. Beat it and I enjoyed it, but felt the world to feel fake and hallow, didn't really seem to feel the charm and wonder that is associated with the franchise.

However, preordered this through amazon and ready to give it a go. I'm a little worried that all the hype is nostalgia for a great game from 13 years ago, and will feel outdated today, nevertheless hype is rising!

And I'll tell you, all I've seen of OoT is the opening cinematic on YouTube, and I have to say, I felt more charm from that brief opening and song than I did in all of Twighlight Princess...

watershed

Banned
AiTM said:
Only Zelda game I've ever played is Twighlight Princess on Wii. Beat it and I enjoyed it, but felt the world to feel fake and hallow, didn't really seem to feel the charm and wonder that is associated with the franchise.

However, preordered this through amazon and ready to give it a go. I'm a little worried that all the hype is nostalgia for a great game from 13 years ago, and will feel outdated today, nevertheless hype is rising!

And I'll tell you, all I've seen of OoT is the opening cinematic on YouTube, and I have to say, I felt more charm from that brief opening and song than I did in all of Twighlight Princess...

Yeah I think you'll enjoy it. There shouldn't be anything about the gameplay that makes it feel old and the visuals are much improved. The story is pretty solid if your new to the series as well, even though you're not quite new to the series. Its a great game for a reason, not just for those who played it all those years ago.

Honestly now that they've fixed the framerate and controls, there's nothing really holding OoT back anymore. The dungeons and side-quests are still excellently designed and the atmosphere and aesthetic is still among the best going around.

The only thing that sticks out in my mind is Hyrule Field which appears to still be rather empty and boring. There's a few things to do there but nothing like most other games in the series.

It always kinda stuck out to me as if Nintendo approached it like "let's make it huuuuuuuge" without actually putting much in it. Wind Waker was rather similar, even if it had more packed into it (but it was bigger, so there were still moments of boredom). TP's was at least quick and easy to traverse, even if the content wasn't all that great.

AiTM said:

Oot is amazing. I really liked TP, but I can easily see why some didn't. Seeing as you enjoyed TP, I think you'll have a blast with Oot.

I actually played Oot a few months back and surprisingly it has aged VERY well. Now with upgraded graphics, 3D, and higher FPS, it will be that much better.

AiTM said:

TP's overworld was kind of crap. It's like they made it big just to make it big. OOT has a much better overworld with lots of secrets and stuff. If you really want an overworld that's jam packed with stuff, try Zelda Link's Awakening on the eShop.

Codeblue

AiTM said:

If you're looking for charm you should. play Wind Water when you're done with OoT.

OoT has aged very well though. I played it well into the GCN's life and I still loved it. The only things that took some getting used to was the framerate and visuals, and I'm not particularly sensitive to either. Now that those are fixed you should have an awesome time.

Typographenia said:
Man, that manual is pretty bleh.
Why? It's perfect. They can show bigger screenshots of important things and you don't have to search the pages for important information. Manuals are no Art Books.

AniHawk

_Alkaline_ said:
The only thing that sticks out in my mind is Hyrule Field which appears to still be rather empty and boring. There's a few things to do there but nothing like most other games in the series.

well part of that was them thinking the 64dd would come out that century.

goomba

Banned
Crunched said:
Not possible to like paypal someone some money in a place that can get it cheaper, then have it shipped to you? I'm not aware if the 3DS is region locked.

Region locked :(. I used ti import games from Australia as its the same zone as NZ. Problem is the $AU has become more expensive than it used to be so it ends up costing about the same including the shipping :(.

But its my favourite game ever on a portable in 3D...

noquarter

Really glad to see Nintendo pretending to care about people that want soundtracks and hope that trend continues. If they said register in a week get a soundtrack, I'd buy and register every Nintendo game within a week.

Still remember going to pick this up at Toys R Us. Didn't have school that day so got there first thing in the morning. It wasn't available yet so I preordered it and messed around for a bit. Went back in the afternoon, picked it up and me and my friend spent the rest of the day playing it. Wish I would've preordered before release day so I could have gotten the gold cart, but the game was still great. Really looking forward to Sunday, even preordered this a few months ago this time.

I awoke to a copy of Ocarina being slotted through my front door, if ever there was a incentive to remove myself from my slumber this was it. The face shrine in link's awakening being the reason I was so tired in the first place.

Top Bottom