• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Nintendo's coming by next week to fix our capture problem, so review next week. :crosses fingers:

We got an apology and all, but still kinda stinks we had this thing ready to go in advance but were held up by this. And to be clear, we've had a capture device for a few weeks. We've had the retail since before E3. We got the review build well before that.

Apparently the capture device can't play retail 3DS games, but only specific flash cards (ROMs). Our review build was a flash card/ROM, but it was "locked" into the 3DS unit it came with, so we couldn't remove it.

Part of the capture unit is viewable in the Gamespot video of Ocarina of Time. Other sites also posted some photos of the capture unit and flash cards:
http://tinycartridge.com/post/3671771079/nintendo-3ds-development-hardware-including-the
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/25595

BY2K

Membero Americo
3.jpg

I... I love that degrading color! I must have it!

I... I finally caved!
I had made a point not to buy from gamestop if at all possible, but amazon would only get the game here by the 21st, even with one day shipping. Curse you, postal service!

I wish the gamestop I went to looked like that one above, though. Holy crap, that's awesome!

Typographenia said:
I... I finally caved!
I had made a point not to buy from gamestop if at all possible, but amazon would only get the game here by the 21st, even with one day shipping. Curse you, postal service!

I wish the gamestop I went to looked like that one above, though. Holy crap, that's awesome!
There are other alternatives. Me, I'm going to Fred Meyer to get mine. They even open a lot earlier than Gamestop (7:30 am), so I can get it sooner.

I never really got to play OoT when it first came out, and am really hyped for this. But why do us Aussies have to wait till the 30th of June?? *begins crying*

Lkr

not sure I understand Gamespot. How can a game go from a perfect score and then a graphically updated version get a worse score? I just don't see the logic. I know that it didn't get a bad score by any means, and it has no merit in my purchasing decision, I just don't understand, especially when the cons they gave it in the summary make no sense to dock a game's rating....a game they gave a perfect score to over 10 years ago...

Pein said:
so, I've never played a zelda game before, this a good place to start?

Probably.

That said, I always point out Link's Awakening as the perfect game to start off with. Ocarina of Time is fair bit more complicated and difficult, and if you're human, you're probably going to get stuck a few times.

LA is easy enough to help you understand the Zelda basics whilst being a fantastic game in its own right. Consider buying it on the eshop and playing it before OoT.

Downhome

Back in the day, when the game was first released, I played it up to Bongo Bongo but never beat it. I got frustrated, stopped playing, and have never gone back after all of these years. I'm going to finally beat it this time, and I can't wait to play the crap out of it.

Now my question - just how far into the game is that. How much more did I have left back then that, to this day, I have never even seen?

Lkr said:
not sure I understand Gamespot. How can a game go from a perfect score and then a graphically updated version get a worse score? I just don't see the logic. I know that it didn't get a bad score by any means, and it has no merit in my purchasing decision, I just don't understand, especially when the cons they gave it in the summary make no sense to dock a game's rating....a game they gave a perfect score to over 10 years ago...

gamespot's review is up?

*checks*

nelsonmarsalis_herewegoagain.jpg

giggas

Downhome said:
Now my question - just how far into the game is that. How much more did I have left back then that, to this day, I have never even seen?

It's been a while, but I think you only had one dungeon left after that. If I remember correctly you can do either that dungeon or the desert temple in the order that you choose, so you may have only had that one left. I could be wrong though, am I anyone?

I grabbed OOT 3D from a local shop selling them early. I really like it so far, though admittedly it shows its age in certain areas (trekking across that extremely empty and boring overworld from the forest to the Hyrule square for example) but I still love it. Also, I'm wondering if targeting doesn't work as well as it used to, or if it works exactly the same and I'm just used to superior targeting from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Anyone else notice this? Not sure if it's just me reading into it too much.

Gyro controls are surprisingly cool. It was neat actually having to look up at my ceiling with the DS to fire the slingshot at the Ghoma as opposed to just pointing there with the circle pad. Just blows that you really need to move your whole body with it if you have 3D turned on, and you'll want 3D turned on because it looks great. All the particles in the forest were really cool. And the redone graphics are such a welcome change, especially the fully 3D towns.

Kard8p3

TSA said:
Nintendo's coming by next week to fix our capture problem, so review next week. :crosses fingers:

We got an apology and all, but still kinda stinks we had this thing ready to go in advance but were held up by this. And to be clear, we've had a capture device for a few weeks. We've had the retail since before E3. We got the review build well before that.

Apparently the capture device can't play retail 3DS games, but only specific flash cards (ROMs). Our review build was a flash card/ROM, but it was "locked" into the 3DS unit it came with, so we couldn't remove it.

Part of the capture unit is viewable in the Gamespot video of Ocarina of Time. Other sites also posted some photos of the capture unit and flash cards:
http://tinycartridge.com/post/3671771079/nintendo-3ds-development-hardware-including-the
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/25595

This is the review I've been waiting for. Hopefully you can get it up next week.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Downloading Link'sAwakening... Probably won't beat it before OoT, but I might as well start. Never beaten a Zelda game, nor played much of one.

I owned Link's Awakening on original Gameboy but never played much.

Pikelet

Lkr said:
Because in this medium standards change over time.

Only 50 dollars!?

Dammit that reminds me of the Hylian Shield thing in OoT in how you can get it for half off in Market Town if you talk to the guard to get to Death Mountain. And yet despite being able to buy it for 40 instead of 80, you need 80 rupees to even trigger it :/

Luigi87

Kirbyguy said:
Only 50 dollars!?

Dammit that reminds me of the Hylian Shield thing in OoT in how you can get it for half off in Market Town if you talk to the guard to get to Death Mountain. And yet despite being able to buy it for 40 instead of 80, you need 80 rupees to even trigger it :/

But a true man gets the Hylian Shield
for free by grave robbing in the Graveyard
!

watershed

Banned
Dammit, I've caved. I specifically haven't been watching any new trailers, video reviews, or clips because I didn't want to be enticed into buying this game (I'm not a fan of remakes). But I can't help it, its too awesome not to play. Plus I'm gonna get it on the cheap, so that helps ease my mind.

Duderz

Banned
Aargh, watching the giant bomb Quicklook did not help.

Anyone know how much a DSLite trade in Gamestop goes toward a 3DS?

Top Bottom