• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's not disingenuous to say that I think the talk about weapon breaking is overblown and an overreaction.
Especially when I point out games where your entire gear is broken.

It is.

It's also disingenuous to compare this with games where your entire gear is broken after many hours of average use.

Bragr

Banned
We're talking about a game that looks pretty much exactly like its cross-generation predecessor six years later without being cross-generation. There's zero valid excuse for this.
The reason for that is because BOTW hit the limit of what the Switch can render in 2017. Remember, this was already old hardware in 2017, this was not some new tech that takes years to understand. They already maxed it out from the get-go.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Nintendo has officially announced a Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Switch OLED console. It launches in April, ahead of the game the following month

FsUAE8AaMAAHIa4

A The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom themed Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and Carrying Case will also launch alongside the game on May 12th.

Jesus Christ I need this game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Graphics whores are a fun bunch. They'll go on and on about "jagged edges" and the like but they never talk about gameplay. Why, you ask? Because they just like to enjoy the visuals as a casual gamer might. Never do you hear them talk about wearing metal equipment or carrying metal weapons in a lightning storm or replacing sleeping enemies' weapons with fan leaves then waking them up.

Naw, they just want to talk about pixel counting and what year it is.

Cracking Up Lol GIF
Don’t worry we gonna get the same stupid ass argument about graphics when Armored Core VI shows its gameplay just like GAF did with Elden Ring and currently doing with FFXVI and Zelda.

Majority of GAF values graphics above everything else.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The reason for that is because BOTW hit the limit of what the Switch can render in 2017. Remember, this was already old hardware in 2017, this was not some new tech that takes years to understand. They already maxed it out from the get-go.

We're talking about a cross-generation game versus a game that is not.

The Switch has games with massive open worlds that looks TONS better than BOTW AND TOTK, see Xenoblade 3.

lastly, it's almost like some believe that the Switch being underpowered isn't a problem of Nintendo's own making and they're somehow stuck with it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You had to choose those two games lol, I mean there are people who enjoyed playing those games just so you know. Why not RDR2 or TLOU🤣
I’m happy to say that BotW’s gameplay is much better than any ND game and Rockstar too (y) I was simply showing both ends of the scale - great graphics shit gameplay, shit graphics great gameplay.
Anyways BOTW isn’t a bad looking game. This new one looks outdated That’s what people are saying, no one can deny that.

Either way. I would rather have both.
Agree with that (y)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
But hey, "they" don't mind getting bent over a barrel for expensive PC innards now do "they" ?

Expensive is fine when it's not sub-par.

Your gifs pretty much look like this.

3atfpl.jpg

You seem to be really salty about the fact that some people aren't giving Nintendo a pass for whatever they do.

I was simply showing both ends of the scale

It's not a scale with two ends. Gameplay and graphics are not in conflict and both can coexist.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The game is doing quite a bit more than BotW. It's just that they chose to focus on gameplay.

Expensive is fine when it's not sub-par.

Your gifs pretty much look like this.

3atfpl.jpg

You seem to be really salty about the fact that some people aren't giving Nintendo a pass for whatever they do.
And you seem really salty that others don't care about what you care about. Now turn that mirror around about face.

HofT

Some game it fits, as stated numerous times, it's destroyed a key part of Zelda as an IP.
BotW's gameplay enhanced Zelda's IP from the staleness that it once was in. BotW's gameplay encourages players to explore the vast world of Hyrule and a core part of that gameplay element is weapon durability. With weapon durability it forces players to experiment and try new things to adapt under the environment you're in.

Bragr

Banned
We're talking about a cross-generation game versus a game that is not.

The Switch has games with massive open worlds that looks TONS better than BOTW AND TOTK, see Xenoblade 3.

lastly, it's almost like some believe that the Switch being underpowered isn't a problem of Nintendo's own making and they're somehow stuck with it.
Xenoblade 3 is not built to be visible from the sky though. It's a different thing.

Of course It's Nintendo's own self-made problem, it looks old as shit, but the point here is that Nintendo exists because they don't play the high-end game with Sony and Microsoft, and we kinda just have to deal with it until a new system comes out. It's not the end of the world as long as the games are great.

Reactions: Fbh

GymWolf

I’m happy to say that BotW’s gameplay is much better than any ND game and Rockstar too (y) I was simply showing both ends of the scale - great graphics shit gameplay, shit graphics great gameplay.

Agree with that (y)
In what universe is botw combat better than tlou2 or max payne 3?

I mean sure gameplay is more than combat, but combat is usually a big part of these games and zelda is as barebone as it comes.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I mean, it looks like it could be fun in pieces? But really, by the time they crafted a raft out of wood and random fans, you could've crossed that body of water five times. I get the idea behind it, but eh.
Just wait until you build a car/plane that drives off the mountain and flies halfway across the map and lands on another mountain on the other side of the map.

BbMajor7th

Like what game exactly? I can't recall many games from 2017 that were this ambitious gameplay wise. If they did, they were really limited and focused on one or two things or on PC and were quite broken. At least...I can't think of any open world adventure games that relied so heavily on physics based systems.
I mean, most games of this style put a huge amount of development time into writing, character creation and RPG systems and mechanics that allow for a huge variety of character builds and ways to interact with the world. BotW doesn't do any of that, and while its physics systems were ambitious on one front, it also featured a main character that couldn't swim underwater and an entire game world that had almost no interior spaces (even caves) to explore and little engagement options besides the core physics suite.

Contrast this with something like Morrowind, which came out fifteen years earlier and was highly systems-driven while featuring a lot of the stuff BotW lacks and the latter seems less impressive. I like Breath of the Wild and had a great time with it, but the idea that it did something wildly ambitious by building a dedicated physics sandbox at the expense of no-brainer key features found in other open worlds, simply isn't true.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Xenoblade 3 is not built to be visible from the sky though. It's a different thing.

Of course It's Nintendo's own self-made problem, it looks old as shit, but the point here is that Nintendo exists because they don't play the high-end game with Sony and Microsoft, and we kinda just have to deal with it until a new system comes out. It's not the end of the world as long as the games are great.

"great" is subjective.

If you look at the environmental density of many vistas in Xenoblade 3, it's much higher than whatever you have on screen from the sky in ToTK.

If you're impressed by this primal void, you're easily impressed, honestly.

pZLi2md.jpg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Regarding weapon exploration, you could simply have the different weapon types, that do not degrade, and have enemies for which only certain weapon types are effective.

You could, but once again that game is not Breath of the Wild. When you have one of each weapon type you'll presumably trip over piles of weapons that serve no purpose because you already have that one and the new one is worse than yours, that you sell to vendors for gold that you presumably use to upgrade your existing weapons. But now I'm not describing BotW, I'm describing every other seen-it-1000-times RPG-lite on the market and that's why people get mad about weapon durability, they want it to feel comfortably closer to every other game they play and it's not. It took their toys away.

I feel like I never hear arguments about why the mechanic is bad, I hear arguments that they should have designed a different game. The argument against the mechanic itself is "now I have to pick up a new weapon" as if that's any less interesting than "now I have to switch to the red weapon to kill the red enemy" or "now that I've sold 100 +1 swords I can make my +3 sword a +4 sword". I'm happy to play many games with the latter, but there's enough of them, and the fact that we're still talking about this one single mechanic 6 years later is evidence enough that it's far more interesting than those. Ain't nobody talking about the stat upgrades they got in GoW Ragnarok.

Robb

Gold Member
This looks dope. I wonder how high the islands go, potentially I guess you could get thrown off one island and land on others as you fall, or choose to go to the ground.

Also wondering what will happen if you throw an enemy off the cliff. Would be fun to jump after them and see if they get squished on landing.

Flutta

Banned
Doug Bowser: It will be well worth the $70 price tag!

Many of us today after seeing a BOTW expansion and attaching a rock to a twig for 10 minutes, and the translator saying after every single thing "Oh wow how about that!!??"

Frustrated World Cup GIF

When he said that there’s much more the game has to offer yet they choose to show us how to attach a rock to a stick i knew that there is something very off with this presentation.

disappointed hercules GIF

MirageMew2

Consider me hyped. Conceptually a mechanic like fuse requires far more grounds-up development than a lot of detractors imply is involved here. Presumably every old weapon and environmental asset had to be reworked both in design and functionality. Same for “Ascend” and “Recall” for pre-existing foundations in the overworld. BotW was already a 10/10 sandbox world and this looks even more involved.

Jessmo23

Banned
There's zero reason to believe it'll last long enough to be much less annoying.
But he even said in the video it greatly extends the durability of the stick (Paraphrase). Let's play the game 1st before we knee jerk or throw out words like disingenuous.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
You could, but once again that game is not Breath of the Wild. When you have one of each weapon type you'll presumably trip over piles of weapons that serve no purpose because you already have that one and the new one is worse than yours, that you sell to vendors for gold that you presumably use to upgrade your existing weapons. But now I'm not describing BotW, I'm describing every other seen-it-1000-times RPG-lite on the market and that's why people get mad about weapon durability, they want it to feel comfortably closer to every other game they play and it's not. It took their toys away.

I feel like I never hear arguments about why the mechanic is bad, I hear arguments that they should have designed a different game. The argument against the mechanic itself is "now I have to pick up a new weapon" as if that's any less interesting than "now I have to switch to the red weapon to kill the red enemy" or "now that I've sold 100 +1 swords I can make my +3 sword a +4 sword". I'm happy to play many games with the latter, but there's enough of them, and the fact that we're still talking about this one single mechanic 6 years later is evidence enough that it's far more interesting than those. Ain't nobody talking about the stat upgrades they got in GoW Ragnarok.
Here's why I think it's bad:

It does not encourage me to experiment with new weapons. I actively ignored weapon types that I didn't like (spears, for example, didn't feel good or fun for me to use) and stocked up on weapon type that I did. More importantly, it wasn't *fun* to stop and switch to a different weapon via the menu every couple of minutes or so; it felt tedious and unnecessary. Having a set of weapons that you like, mapped to a d-pad, that you can quickly and reliably switch to on the fly, depending on your current combat scenario, actually does feel fun and more strategic.

Last edited:

GymWolf

How does it fit in MH? I have to sharpen my weapon every few hits? I'm just saying there is bias.
Because there is an entire rpg part behind that and you can improve durability in different ways with skills, and it is a gameplay mechanic to know when to fix the weapon during combat with super aggressive enemies that stay on your ass, in zelda you just pop up another one from the inventory.

Also weapons in MH are leagues better mechanic wise than anything inside botw, it is a worth trade off and the weapon never really breaks, at best it lose some attack power.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Holy shit, this looks absolutely bonkers. It's like they took the core concepts of BOTW, and injected 3 times the reccomended ammount of adrenaline on it.

For anyone saying this game looks ugly, please go see an eye doctor.
Breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom are beautiful games that got beat with an ugly stick because they need to run on prehistoric hardware

Doom85

And the weapon durability is the same. Well then,

Leaving Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Kudos to those who enjoy it, it’s just not what I want in a Zelda game. Hope those of you who are into it have a solid adventure.

Idris Elba Flirting GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Here's why I think it's bad:

It does not encourage me to experiment with new weapons. I actively ignored weapon types that I didn't like (spears, for example, didn't feel good or fun for me to use) and stocked up on weapon type that I did. More importantly, it wasn't *fun* to stop and switch to a different weapon every couple of minutes or so; it felt tedious and unnecessary.

But didn't you just suggest they could have made the game so that you have to switch to different weapons constantly to defeat different types of enemies? Is that really any better or different than pressing to move to your next weapon and using that?

Fair enough if you don't like certain weapon types, but the point is that you found out that you didn't like them because the game did encourage your to try them. How would you know otherwise if it didn't? I know it's a wildly different game but looking at recent things I've played for an example, I have absolutely no idea what half the different weapons in Rogue Legacy 2 feel like because I got to the one I liked and used it to beat the game, and I'll never use the rest because I've moved on to other games. Now, nothing wrong with that at all, that's how that game is designed. But I used every single weapon type in BotW and even if I didn't like them all, that's something that I rarely ever do in games because I've never had an incentive to once I found my comfort zone. Again I think that's key, BotW took some people out of their comfort zone and it really didn't sit right with them. Whereas if you let it, you quickly find that the mechanic becomes a non-issue very quickly.

Off to play RE4 now so sorry for a missed/delayed response but thanks for at least providing an in-game reason why you didn't like it rather than trying to design a different game.

Markio128

The new abilities look cool and I’m sure it’ll be more than BOTW with floating islands, but that video didn’t show any more than that to be fair.

I can’t deny that I felt a slight pang of disappointment with how familiar it looks. I’m still 100% buying it though because more of the same Zelda is still a lot better than most other games for me.

Kusarigama

I am blown away by the impressive dev team behind this game. It makes me wonder what they could have done with more upto date, technically competent hardware.

HofT

It is.

It's also disingenuous to compare this with games where your entire gear is broken after many hours of average use.
In the end, it's a core part of the game and it would be weird if the game didn't have it.

First, it forces players to be more strategic and thoughtful about how they approach combat encounters. Players can't rely on a single weapon to carry them through battles, so they must be willing to experiment with different weapons and tactics to succeed.

Second, it encourages exploration and resource gathering. Since weapons can break at any time, players must constantly scavenge for new weapons and materials to repair or replace their equipment.

Third, it adds a sense of realism and immersion to the game world. In a post-apocalyptic world like Hyrule, it makes sense that weapons would be scarce and prone to breaking, and the weapon durability system reflects that.

Finally, it adds an element of risk and reward to combat encounters. If players use a powerful weapon, they may deal more damage and defeat enemies more quickly, but they'll also risk damaging or breaking the weapon. Alternatively, if players use weaker weapons, they may conserve their more powerful equipment, but battles may take longer and be more difficult.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
In the end, it's a core part of the game and it would be weird if the game didn't have it.

First, it forces players to be more strategic and thoughtful about how they approach combat encounters. Players can't rely on a single weapon to carry them through battles, so they must be willing to experiment with different weapons and tactics to succeed.

Second, it encourages exploration and resource gathering. Since weapons can break at any time, players must constantly scavenge for new weapons and materials to repair or replace their equipment.

Third, it adds a sense of realism and immersion to the game world. In a post-apocalyptic world like Hyrule, it makes sense that weapons would be scarce and prone to breaking, and the weapon durability system reflects that.

Finally, it adds an element of risk and reward to combat encounters. If players use a powerful weapon, they may deal more damage and defeat enemies more quickly, but they'll also risk damaging or breaking the weapon. Alternatively, if players use weaker weapons, they may conserve their more powerful equipment, but battles may take longer and be more difficult.

Lots of excuses for what's essentially a timesink. No more. No less.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Seems like Rockstar was able to accomplish far more almost ten years ago on PS360 hardware:

But gamepaaaaay!!!!! 😂

The more I hear about this, the more I'm convinced that most Nintendo fans simply aren't capable of looking at what's just outside of their platform, and realize that there are plenty of games out there that do better on both visuals and open world gameplay and don't require a NASA PC to run.

Last edited:
The new features are amazing but I am a little concerned with such flexibility how they are going to design the dungeons if it even has any. You kind of need some kind of restriction for it to work, you can't just go through any ceiling.

Nautilus

Banned
Maybe you need to go to the eye doctor?

Washed out color palette again. Looks like trash. BOTW was garbage, I'm sure this will be no different. I've been playing this series since 1987 and this is the first time I have zero enthusiasm over a mainline Zelda title.
Well, you clearly aren't one of the 30 million people that bought it and had zero vision problems.

Top Bottom