• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Review Thread.

big_erk

I don't get the point of reviewing remakes/ports. Much less scoring them. But whatever, good to see people still like the game I guess?

If it was a straight port I would be with you. But seeing as how there are some pretty big changes to the game, new reviews seems appropriate.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
I meant that the Tingle Tuner is quite a secondary item whose only "real" function was connectivity with the GBA and provide some sort of a multiplayer option.

The Tingle Tuner mechanics added nothing to the game (if anything, it made it even easier).
And the new multiplayer connectivity that Nintendo is encouraing is that WiiU Plaza message thing.
I totally agree to that. But your previous sarcastic comment about connecting the Wii U to a GBA just seemed silly. It's understandable that someone would think that the Wii U Game Pad is a perfect fit for the Tingle Tuner. After all the whole GBA to Cube connection inspired the Wii U GamePad.

That the Tingle Tuner itself was a terrible feature and essentially good riddance, is a different story.

But here's the thing, the Tingle Tuner was mainly a shop where you'd buy hearts (to heal yourself), pay Tingle to let you walk in the air for x amount of time, pay Tingle to have an "air bomb", etc. It didn't really *add* anything to the game other than another thing to spend ruppees on. Which I guess wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but ultimately, we're not missing out on anything without it. If it existed and was an item you could get, Hero Mode would probably disable its usage because of the abilities it has and the heart refilling anyway.
Again. I agree with that. I thoroughly used the Tingle Tuner in the original and I thought it was pretty bad and game breaking. And in coop it's just annoying ("Heey hey hey hey let's use all your Rupees to bomb you hey hey heyyy"). So, I'm the last person to miss that thing.

I was just defending how someone could get the impression that the Wii U GamePad would be suited for it. I think that's only natural.

However, it would be a complete and utter sin if they completely axed the "quests" that were involved with the Tingle Tuner as well. So far I haven't heard anything on whether they've modified them or something to be doable in this new release without the Tuner, or if they're just completely new quests. The quest(s) themselves also involved getting figurines of the other Tingle characters on Tingle Island.
In a preview at VentureBeat some Nintendo guy told them that the Tingle Statues are still in the game. I haven't heard anything else though.

It would be really nice to unlock Swingle and the Tingle Statues without the Tuner.

dEvAnGeL

Actually, I think the game (original) is more of a 9/10, if you're asking. Hence why I typed "in its prose, not its score".

I'd prefer not to get involved with the idiotic debates about numbers.

i didn't write that in a bad way, that's just the way most gamers are, including myself, i just came back from bestbuy, i was preordering the zelda Wii U edition, that's how much pull nintendo franchises have on me and im a grown man, with family, and a beard
im also getting bald but dont tell anyone!

For what it's worth, I don't think this is the best Zelda (that'll be Ocarina, forever and always), but it's certainly the Zelda that is more than the sum of its parts than the rest.

PhantomR

Banned
What's up with Gamespot giving an 8.0 to pretty much every notable Wii U game? Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter, Lego City, this one... it's like 8.0 is their default Wii U score. :p

You just answered your own question.

chadboban

So does Gamespot even perform actual reviews on Nintendo games anymore or do they just give everything an 8.0?

WindWaker HD - 8.0
Nintendoland - 8.0
Wonderful 101 - 8.0
Rayman Legends (WiiU version) - 8.0
Pikmin 3 - 8.0
Monster Hunter 3 HD - 8.0
Lego City Undercover - 8.0

Wait, hold on, they gave the Wii U version of Rayman Legends an 8. Well surely the other version got the same score

*checks gamespot
*sees Rayman Legends on PS3 and 360 got a 9/10

Okay, now I'm not one to complain about review scores but can someone tell me how the hell did the Wii U version of Legends get less when it has all the same content as the PS3/360 version plus more? This just seems so... I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion but still... this just seems so strange.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The numbers are meaningless, IMO.

EDIT: Wait, nobody lifts a finger at Eurogamer for giving it a 10 but IGN can't give them a 9.8?

Courage

It'll be the first time playing it. This fall looks great for the WiiU, picking up Wonderful 101 tomorrow, Wind Waker HD in 2 weeks and Sonic Lost World. Also getting SM3DW.

Gigglepoo

Okay, now I'm not one to complain about review scores but can someone tell me how the hell did the Wii U version of Legends get less when it has all the same content as the PS3/360 version plus more? This just seems so... I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion but still... this just seems so strange.

The Murfy stages are interesting on the PS360 and dull on the Wii U. Or at least that was my opinion.

Wait, hold on, they gave the Wii U version of Rayman Legends an 8. Well surely the other version got the same score

*checks gamespot

because gamespot

Lunzio

Let's not go into this numbers comparing game again...

Seems like a great port. Just wish Nintendo had something new, but this will make me consider a purchase once I get a Wii U.

NewGame

Banned
I can't believe people are salty over that time Shiggy mentioned they were unable to add extra dungeons. Play Skyward Sword if you want a bunch of (forgettable) dungeons crammed into a game.

ASIS

The numbers are meaningless, IMO.

EDIT: Wait, nobody lifts a finger at Eurogamer for giving it a 10 but IGN can't give them a 9.8?

... that's true actually.. But eurogamer doesn't use .1 scales do they? All I know from the reviews is that the game is still as good as ever, if not better. So that's a good sign.

kunonabi

*checks gamespot

basically reviewers treated it as single player experience in which case the murphy stages were preferred. the murphy stuff as a multiplayer experience is leagues ahead in the wii u version and was the whole point to begin with but that just gets ignored.

chadboban

Different reviewers. Also, we stopped using half points by the time Pikmin 3 came around.

I think you're mistaken. The Murfy levels are in every version of the game. In the PS360, you run with Rayman while controlling Murfy with a button tap. On the Wii U, Rayman runs and jumps automatically while you control Murfy. I found those levels dull and lowered the score because they make up a significant portion of the game.

Sorry to do this man but either you don't know what review scale your own site uses or you are just flat out lying.

Pikmin 3
July 31st 2013

http://www.gamespot.com/pikmin-3/reviews/pikmin-3-review-6412256/

Gone Home
August 15th 2013

http://www.gamespot.com/gone-home/reviews/gone-home-review-6413000/

Auskeek

I'm kinda excited for this game, but Nintendo's treatment of Australia is so damn poor I can't justify getting a Wii U. I still regret getting a PAL 3DS as opposed to a US one.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
9/10 is generous for the Zelda with the worst dungeons in the 3D series.

Gigglepoo

Sorry to do this man but either you don't know what review scale your own site uses or you are just flat out lying.

Pikmin 3
July 31st 2013

http://www.gamespot.com/pikmin-3/reviews/pikmin-3-review-6412256/

Gone Home
August 15th 2013

http://www.gamespot.com/gone-home/reviews/gone-home-review-6413000/

Nah, my mistake. I did know that Gone Home was our last .5 also. Silly me.

I give everything an 8! Except Spelunky, of course.

Sturm

Banned
If it was a straight port I would be with you. But seeing as how there are some pretty big changes to the game, new reviews seems appropriate.

There aren't that many big changes. Ofcourse it's a great game. But it was in 2003 already. And the cartoon style doesn't age. But why are we paying 60 quid for a 10 year old game?

Trago

Really great scores for this game. Let's hope these other upcoming Wii U exclusives get the same amount of praise.

Top Bottom