• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

For those in the US who may be interested, they're printing two separate compilations of Don Rosa's Scrooge/Donald Duck books at the end of this year:

Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge And Donald Duck: The Don Rosa Library Vols. 1 & 2 Gift Box Set (The Don Rosa Library) - October 7, 2014

oyu3d2x.jpg

Walt Disney's Donald Duck Box Set: "Lost In The Andes" & "Trail Of The Unicorn" (The Carl Barks Library) Hardcover – November 5, 2014

9M2LZug.jpg

Tempting, what's the price though, as I can't access Amazon at work.
Also, any word on reprinting Life and Times TPBs?

R.I.P

The whole Tuomas Holopainen's soundtrack album for The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck has been put up on Youtube and other places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fjnnBRw1E

FvsRViz.png

It has great production values and some really nice instrumental moments by London Philharmonic Orchestra. Definitely worth a listen.

I really need to buy this at some point and reread the life and times while listening to this. Sounds absolutely stellar from the small bits I've heard of it.

The album turned out amazing. There have been some negative reviews, but I think a lot of people have to realize it isn't a Nightwish album, nor a traditional album at all, but a legitimate soundtrack.

Sincerely looking forward to the next Nightwish album with Floor Jansen, though.

despire

If someone plans on buying the CD I'd recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I don't think they made too many so it might be harder to find them after a while unless they print more.

Khaz

Is there a more affordable way to purchase The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck?

Not in English. You should try to contact Fantagraphics to ask them if they plan a reprint. If you can read other languages, European publishers are probably still printing it. I know the French edition is still widely available, I wouldn't be surprised if the German and Scandinavians editions were too.

This book had an absurdly low print in English, twice from two different publishers. Given it's probably the most sought after collected work from Disney, there wouldn't be much risk printing it again every year. Such kind of book will sell forever. I like Fantagraphics and the work they put into their collections, but if you aren't there at the right time to get them you're screwed unless you pay hundreds to an amazon scammer. They seem to have changed their policies recently, the out of print volumes in the Carl Barks collection are given a reprint.Still I wouldn't wait too long to get them.

Tizoc

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I can't make new threads and I just now learned of this
If you are in the US, try your local library. That's where I found a copy to read.

Also, Don Rosa Library Vol 4 releasing in Oct will start collecting The Life and Times.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998676/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gonna contact Amazon to switch my Vol. 3 Order for this one.
Finally a new good printing of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Hopefully the #0 issue is printed among the last stories in the book :p

lilltias

I wish Dinsey could make a series of well made movies out of this. Would be amazing. So much good stuff. One of my favorite comics.

notBald

My favorite comic book by a mile. As a kid I recall laughing so hard it hurt.

It would be awesome to have the English version of this. The puns likely work much better.

KarasuEXE

This post made me remember about this wonderful book, one I sadly don't have because it was released a long time ago here in Brazil and it's now expensive. So, I was looking again at some prices and ... I just learned it'll be reprinted here and it'll be in stores at the end of this month! So lucky!

Tizoc

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but a reminder that the upcoming Don Rosa books will contain the first issues of the story-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998676/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems they were delayed to December, which is fine for me since I recently bought a lot of books this month XP

If you want a good x-mas present look no further than the Don Rosa Library.

Not sure if anyone can help me but I was look at the Carl Barks library collections and I can't seem to find anything before volume 5, even on wikipedia. Does anyone know what they were or what they looked like? Were they not hardcover collections like volume 5 onward?

I'm trying to expand my collection so trying to figure out the best way to buy them.

Thanks!

Not sure if anyone can help me but I was look at the Carl Barks library collections and I can't seem to find anything before volume 5, even on wikipedia. Does anyone know what they were or what they looked like? Were they not hardcover collections like volume 5 onward?

I'm trying to expand my collection so trying to figure out the best way to buy them.

Thanks!

I'm sorry but I can't help you with that.

I just had to post when I saw a thread about my most cherished chilhood memorablia. Signed 1st edition print of Life and Times. You can tell it has been read countless times, and will be read again. Just like Rosa prefers it.

I was a huge DuckTales fan growing up and knew about the Carl Bark comics but had no way of getting my hands on any of them. Then one day I read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, and when I saw how devoted Rosa was to Barks' duck mythos, I just knew that one or way or another I had to familiarize myself with Barks' duck comics. So a couple of years ago I ordered two compilation books, one of Donald stories and the other of Scrooge stories... I was disappointed, to put it mildly. I could see how the stories laid the path of greatness that would lead to DuckTales, but for whatever reason I could not get into Carl Barks' writing. There things about his style that irritated the hell out of me, like his inability to tell stories through pictures and not words -- every single balloon has to have Donald, Huey, Dewey, or Louie commenting, questioning, and reacting to things around them. Or just the weird way he wrote Donald even though he was once a story writer at Disney and should have understood Donald's character better than anyone.

Anyway, Rosa is better.

tim.mbp

Thanks!

Haven't been published yet. Fantagraphics decided to start with the best material then go back and fill in the gaps.

Shengar

I'm surprised that Don Rosa and his Uncle Scrooge works isn't popular in the US. I mean, Scrooge is basically Andrew Carnegie in duck form. Anyway, he really deserve more recognition as his works, especially The Life of Times of Scrooge McDuck is one of the finest piece of comic (across all region) that I've read.

Khaz

Thanks!

They are published out of order. They actually started with the volume 7, then the 12, then the 11, etc. Check the table on Wikipedia.

Haven't been published yet. Fantagraphics decided to start with the best material then go back and fill in the gaps.

They are published out of order. They actually started with the volume 7, then the 12, then the 11, etc. Check the table on Wikipedia.

Ah, I didn't look at release dates. I've never seen publications out of order so I thought I was missing something. Do we know if all will become two packs or only certain ones? Rather wait for the two packs if they'll eventually become that. Thanks again.

PaulBizkit

Fellow gaf member Uncle gave me the link to this thread.

This will be like a LTTP, but I'm at chapter 6...

copy/paste of what I posted earlier:
I started reading The Life And Times Of Scrooge by Don Rosa recently (at chapter 6 atm) with the extras and I must say that i'm trully surprised at how good this story is. The characters are great and some moments are very touching. The accents are spot-on.

But what I loved the most are the historical accuracies. The saxon battle of 946, the krakatoa eruption, the gold rush, everything.

One of the most important things about this story is that Rosa gives us a great motivation for Scrooge to become the richest man in the world; it's a very noble motivation. And it has that Breaking Bad thing that makes Scrooge advance 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards, it keeps the story flowing.

It's great to know who the mother of Donald is. It's like everybody in the clan McDuck is somewhat short-tempered, but Hortense is a bomb about to explode. No wonder Donald is so easily-triggered.

I will need to check out that Clan McDuck Family Tree later on. Btw, I will post again when I finish reading it for sure.

Ledsen

Not in English. You should try to contact Fantagraphics to ask them if they plan a reprint. If you can read other languages, European publishers are probably still printing it. I know the French edition is still widely available, I wouldn't be surprised if the German and Scandinavians editions were too.

This book had an absurdly low print in English, twice from two different publishers. Given it's probably the most sought after collected work from Disney, there wouldn't be much risk printing it again every year. Such kind of book will sell forever. I like Fantagraphics and the work they put into their collections, but if you aren't there at the right time to get them you're screwed unless you pay hundreds to an amazon scammer. They seem to have changed their policies recently, the out of print volumes in the Carl Barks collection are given a reprint.Still I wouldn't wait too long to get them.

Are the Fantagraphics books selling out in the US? I haven't kept up with the releases over here (Sweden) because they always seem to be available online, even the first books, so I haven't felt any rush. Maybe I should buy them sooner rather than later.

Matticers

So there's nowhere to get this at a half decent price, huh? I've been wanting it for a while now. Never read it before but that needs to change.

GCX

This album. THIS FUCKING ALBUM. Simply one of the greatest musical pieces of our times. I think it's up on iTunes?
I've been coming back to the album every now and then since it was released and I must agree, it's a truly great piece of art. It really reflects the songwriter's love for the subject.

I just love his artstyle and the attention to detail, I should give it a look.

He does have great attention to detail.

Quoting myself from another thread...

Damn, this is some crazy attention to detail.

Look in the fourth panel where Scrooge is reloading his guns. Then look at the shell casings at his feet. Then go back and count the muzzle flashes and sound effects in the previous three panels.

Zi6mQfh.jpg

So there's nowhere to get this at a half decent price, huh? I've been wanting it for a while now. Never read it before but that needs to change.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998668/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This releases in November and will start collecting the Life and Times stories.

Khaz

Are the Fantagraphics books selling out in the US? I haven't kept up with the releases over here (Sweden) because they always seem to be available online, even the first books, so I haven't felt any rush. Maybe I should buy them sooner rather than later.

They seem to be a bit better with their complete collections, they have been reprinted several times now and are still in stock. Still, I wouldn't wait too long to get the early releases, and I wouldn't trust them to keep them in print forever.

Khaz

It's starting with #0? That's weird, it's not how the story was intended to be told. #0 was always intended as a companion story, one that you read after being done with the main saga, to give you more insight.

The second picture compares the latest edition to which one?

It's starting with #0? That's weird, it's not how the story was intended to be told. #0 was always intended as a companion story, one that you read after being done with the main saga, to give you more insight.

Yeah, they put it in the front.

TOC

I was comparing it to the old tpb that has this cover. It is slightly smaller than regular comic tpbs.

PaulBizkit

Ok so... this is the reprinting of the Don Rosa collection... and volume 4 covers the first half of Life And Times, right?

This looks great.

Wouldn't it be great to have a 2-season netflix exclusive tv adaptation of this serialization? With the companion episodes and all

Tizoc

This. I'm very disappointed they had it be the very first story, but hey one can always just skip ahead of it :p If it was after the first 6-7 issues, that's fine.

Glad this thread got bumped, my copy will arrive by next week hopefully, and I do hope more people will be considering picking the books up what with Black Friday and x-mas on the horizon.

bionic77

BTW, the first part of a new printing of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is out on Amazon.

Volume 4 (which can be bought individually too) collects #0 - #7. Volume 5 coming out next year should contain the last 5 issues.
Thanks for the update. Bought and can't wait to read it with my kid (twins 4.5 years old).

They love Ducktales so this should be a treat.

I was a huge DuckTales fan growing up and knew about the Carl Bark comics but had no way of getting my hands on any of them. Then one day I read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, and when I saw how devoted Rosa was to Barks' duck mythos, I just knew that one or way or another I had to familiarize myself with Barks' duck comics. So a couple of years ago I ordered two compilation books, one of Donald stories and the other of Scrooge stories... I was disappointed, to put it mildly. I could see how the stories laid the path of greatness that would lead to DuckTales, but for whatever reason I could not get into Carl Barks' writing. There things about his style that irritated the hell out of me, like his inability to tell stories through pictures and not words -- every single balloon has to have Donald, Huey, Dewey, or Louie commenting, questioning, and reacting to things around them. Or just the weird way he wrote Donald even though he was once a story writer at Disney and should have understood Donald's character better than anyone.

Anyway, Rosa is better.

This really surprises me, I would urge you to give Carl Barks another chance. Duck Tales were of course heavily inspired by him, but imo his story telling is much more mature and later one his art becomes stunning.

I also completely don't get what you mean about Donald's character.

Khaz

This really surprises me, I would urge you to give Carl Barks another chance. Duck Tales were of course heavily inspired by him, but imo his story telling is much more mature and later one his art becomes stunning.

I also completely don't get what you mean about Donald's character.

The current best way to experience Barks is through The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library from Fantagraphics. The first volumes cover what one could think of Barks' best years, printing stories like Lost in the Andes, Only a Poor Old Man, or The Old Castle's Secret. Incidentally the names of the volumes themselves. Some of these stories got great follow-ups from Rosa too, and it's always nice to read the original story.

DuckTales is cool, and at least it gave some exposition of the Ducks to Americans, but the strips are where it's at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom