• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBizkit

Finished chapter eleven last night. When i get home from work i'll see how this story ends!
The pacing has been incredible, the transformation from humble glasgow kid to greedy multi millionaire is amazingly done. Really digging the moments where scrooge questions his way of being and remembers his family

IronRinn

I might as well ask, since I always look when this comes up:

Any way to get these at this point without having to pay a few hundred dollars?

mhayes86

Unnoticed! Have to read!!

Same. I'm familiar with the Tuomas Holopainen album that was brought up a few times in this thread, and got it back when it was released, but I can't say I looked into it enough to realize it was actually based on a book. Now I know and need to check these out!

Khaz

I might as well ask, since I always look when this comes up:

Any way to get these at this point without having to pay a few hundred dollars?

You didn't read the thread, did you?

BTW, the first part of a new printing of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is out on Amazon.

Volume 4 (which can be bought individually too) collects #0 - #7. Volume 5 coming out next year should contain the last 5 issues.

PaulBizkit

Ok finished it. Amazing. The ending is very prequel-y.

This story is great, you really feel the time is passing in scrooge's world. I love how when donald and the nephews go to visit him, he murmurs "leave that knife, soapy..." like he's totally crazy, seeing people from decades ago.

Btw, I read the whole story with the companion episodes as they happened cronologically, i.e. I started with episode 0, then 1, 2, 3, then 3B, 4, etc.

The good thing about it is that you read the whole thing and don't miss anything, and having three chapters that take place during the Yukon days makes that arc feel like a much more important point in the story.

The bad thing is that in episode 3B, the bad-guys-stole-thing-from-us-plot becomes very over used and that chapter is not very good until the end.

However, it gives us this amazing message and life lesson:

scrooge%20on%20talent.png

This was a great comic. Recommended to everyone who enjoys good stories.

Ok finished it. Amazing. The ending is very prequel-y.

This story is great, you really feel the time is passing in scrooge's world. I love how when donald and the nephews go to visit him, he murmurs "leave that knife, soapy..." like he's totally crazy, seeing people from decades ago.

That sense of time was so amazingly well done. Maybe because it was anchored by real events and guest appearances by real life personas that are so familiar to us. And the genius of this story for me was that it shows me why Scrooge became Scrooge. I might still not agree with him and side more towards Donald's life and views, but it gave me a damned good reason to empathise with who he became.

The ending I think feels a bit prequely because, in a way, this story was created to fit in the gaps left by all the canonical stories that came before. I've been reading some of the Carl Barks collections and it is really fascinating to see how the Life and Times built on everything there without any contradictions or breaking of continuity.

deleted

I believe I posted here before, but I'll just say it again. It's a beautiful series, wonderfully realized. Don Rosa created the definitve Duck look for me and his stories are classics, even if they are inspired and based upon the stories of Barcs. They are homages done right. Enough own stuff, but based or inspired on something from the original story. It's also incredible how much work Rosa put into his stories beside the drawings. His historical annotations are correct every time he brings up something. He created the Duck banner based on his researches about true Scottish Banner creation and not just on looks.

Will re-read it again around Christmas I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom