• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The (many) RPGs of 2014 - this is the year

Dolor

I keep hearing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II thrown around but haven't seen it mentioned too much in this thread.

It's great. You should play it.

I haven't heard anything about that game (or its predecessor for that matter - I assume there is one). Did anyone here play it? Is it any good?

They're both great. You should play them.

The first one is a very enjoyable Diabloy action RPG, haven't tried the sequel yet.

The second one is very similar to the first which was great. You should play them both.

Special bonus: The tower defense (optional) mini-game in VH2 is amazing as well. I wish there was about 10x the content for that.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Wolff

I went from knowing almost nothing about Divinity: Original Sin to being incredibly hyped and barely being able to wait for it to come out in less then three hours. And it's mainly this thread's fault.
Thanks guy's.

Same for me. I was a bit out of touch with RPGs since last year, but this thread made me hyped for these new games like Divinity and made me follow the genre more closely since it has everything in in detail here about all the games without prejudice unlike modern gaming websites. Thanks Durante and everyone else for the great job.

Sweet. Like others i hope they fix some things like the battle system. This reminds me i still have to finish the first one too. I was almost there but DS2 came in the way. :p

Durante

Same for me. I was a bit out of touch with RPGs since last year, but this thread made me hyped for these new games like Divinity and made me follow the genre more closely since it has everything in in detail here about all the games without prejudice unlike modern gaming websites. Thanks Durante and everyone else for the great job.
Thanks! But I'd like to note that there's lots of prejudice, at least in the hype points part of the OP ;)

hemtae

Depends. Should XV and X come out next year, then 2015 is the year of console RPGs. 2014 seems to have been the year of PC RPGs. Either way, we're all getting cool stuff.

Torment is slated for 2015.
And Pillars of Eternity will probably come out then

Jag

Yes! Great news, game is looking great.

And also this. I loved what I played of Grimrock, but dancing around those grid's made me feel sick. :/

I think I gave up on Grimrock because of those puzzles which is a shame because I really loved the game. I'll definitely give II a shot though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Except that it came out in 2013.

We're talkin' Dragonfall here. While technically an expansion, it's really more of an entirely different game utilizing assets from the original, shitty, made-for-iOS version of last year.

Dragonfall is to Shadowrun Returns as an adorable corgi is to the poop it leaves after getting into the kitty litter.

Grayman

I have been too busy to finish dragonfall but it's been really good so far. The RPG bits have more depth. If you are just in it for the x-com lite combat though that isn't improved too much, just a few more options.

WanderingWind

Is Dragonfall really that big of a leap? I never even finished the 2013 Shadowrun because I felt it was the boring kind of mediocre.

Yes. It is a role-playing game again. You make decisions that affects the game you're playing, you have limited stats, so character build matters, you have to choose your companions (you can miss recruiting some of them) money is finite, so you have to approach combat delicately due to limited health, you can save nearly anywhere now, you can do actual side quests.

In short, it's a RPG in the Shadowrun universe. It's not perfect, but the difference between the shit we got before and Dragonfall is night and day.

Durante

Is Dragonfall really that big of a leap? I never even finished the 2013 Shadowrun because I felt it was the boring kind of mediocre.
The basic mechanics are the same, but they are used much better. In particular, there's more non-linearity, the companions are much more interesting and the encounter design is better.

And as WanderingWind says, you can save anywhere.

No, delayed to June 30th in order to get the final VA in (and probably to avoid releasing right in the middle of the Steam sale).

I have been so exicited for this game for so long, it pains me to know its being held back.....I just might have to get it before the 30th. I mean, it releasing in two weeks. Im sure 99 percent of the game is there

dreamfall

Was there any showing of Warhorse Studios Kingdom Come at E3?

I want to see more!

Edit: Apologies, not 2014. Just really curious about it!

Zukuu

Banned
In the recent Numenera update they announced a tentative release window: Q4 2015.
It's sooooo far away T___T - and they prolly won't hit it anyway. I call Q2 2016 at the earliest.

Durante

I'm surprised if it even makes 2015.
Yeah, same here.

I have been so exicited for this game for so long, it pains me to know its being held back.....I just might have to get it before the 30th. I mean, it releasing in two weeks. Im sure 99 percent of the game is there
Do note that there's no save game compatibility between early access and the final game. Just playing around a bit with it is fine, but don't expect to keep your progress.

Denton

Was there any showing of Warhorse Studios Kingdom Come at E3?

I want to see more!

Edit: Apologies, not 2014. Just really curious about it!

Dan said they will probably be there 2015, but now they finally need to actually work on the game instead of doing all the 'useless' stuff like getting funding and publicity..
BTW one thing that pissed me off this week, we were at a NIN show in Prague two days ago, waiting three hours there before they let us in, and only after it, next day, I found out that Warhorse are located like in the bulding right next to the venue. If I had known I would have tried to pay them a visit :p

WanderingWind

Dragonfall is so, so, so damn good. The characters are amazing, the combat is sublime, everybody has their role..

*sniff' It's beautiful man.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
A big thanks to Gaffer Knurek for the heads-up; The Might & Magic X - Deluxe Edition is on sale for only 7,50 Dollars on macgamestore. Comes with a Steam key that's Windows compatible as well.

Just thought some people looking at this thread might want to know.
I'm currently playing Shadowrun, bought Heroes of Might & Magic V Gold last week, now Might & Magic X and Divinity Original Sin in less then two weeks...
...man, these are really great times for a (new) RPG fan. :)

Durante

I just saw this:
lordsofxulima-worldma12sbi.jpg

Amazingly nostalgic if you remember (particularly the Xeen-era) M&M maps.

A big thanks to Gaffer Knurek for the heads-up; The Might & Magic X - Deluxe Edition is on sale for only 7,50 Dollars on macgamestore. Comes with a Steam key that's Windows compatible as well.

Just thought some people looking at this thread might want to know.
I'm currently playing Shadowrun, bought Heroes of Might & Magic V Gold last week, now Might & Magic X and Divinity Original Sin in less then two weeks...
...man, these are really great times for a (new) RPG fan. :)
They're also great times to be an old RPG fan!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea Xulima is looking great. I missed the kickstarter but will definitely be picking it up when it comes out.

Top Bottom