• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The (many) RPGs of 2014 - this is the year

Dolor

I've got to say that so far Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 is my standout RPG for 2014. That being said, I just bought Blackguards, and I am waiting for Divinity to release before I dig into that one. Things are looking good for this year.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I just finished Child of Light.... What an incredible game!

Pulls the heart strings in as lot of the right places.
Some real challenge on Hard too, took me over 20 hours.

I really loved it.
Arura and her friends are pretty refreshing for a jrpg.
One of my favorite in years!

Parch

Very nice OP. Lots of stuff I wasn't aware of.
Dragon Age Inquisition is a definite for me, now there's lots more to consider.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is a 2015 release, but this hits me right in the nostalgias.

Aeon of Sands

14558239472_8627d8022e_o.png

14372402500_0d3ff5513e_o.png

14372402270_347e8fc85c_o.png

14372487708_c23c79f32e_o.png

Zukuu

Banned
The combat kinda puts me off, but those really remind me about the artwork in "chose your own adventure" books.

Arulan

This is a 2015 release, but this hits me right in the nostalgias.

I didn't realize you had already posted it in here before making a thread last night.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849266&highlight=

I was surprised no one had mentioned it. ;)

Lovely art, but that UI may be a case of overdoing "old style" for its own good.

I'd have to agree. The view port of a lot of the older games such as Ultima Underworld were clearly due to technical limitations. I can appreciate imitating the classics, in many cases they're still unsurpassed in various aspects to games today, but not everything necessarily needs to be.

Sinatar

Mmm, that looks so fackin' good.

Any other games in the same vein coming out reasonably soon?
I'm somewhat out of the proverbial loop on this stuff...

If you haven't played Might & Magic X yet, do so immediately. Grimrock 2 is coming later this year as well.

Dolor

Divinity Original Sin and Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing making this a great year of RPGs for me so far. Don't even really need anything else... but I'll take more.

Arulan

Ratlings!

http://www.grimrock.net/2014/08/13/ratlings/

As a ratling you may seem weak and disease ridden on the surface, but you are actually one of the most adaptable and hardy creatures in the world. You are hoarder in nature and greatly enjoy fiddling with mechanical contraptions…

As some of you may know, we’re introducing a new playable race in Legend of Grimrock 2. There is no place in the Northern Realms without them scurrying around. They have spread all over the lands as they seem to wander around endlessly and seldom stay in one place for a long time. Those creepy rodents are sometimes hated and feared for their scruff looks and contagious diseases they bear. But hardly anyone denies the fact that they find their way around the realms and that they are known to be some of the most seasoned creatures there is.

When you pick a ratling in the game’s character generation section, you get to choose your looks from the portrait gallery, done by our friend Emile Denis. Read more about the creation of the new portraits in here. In game terms ratlings have Strength -4, Dexterity +2, Max Load +15kg and are immune to diseases. Ratlings also get a chance to pick a special racial Mutation trait which boosts one randomly chosen ability score by 1 at level up.

ratlings1.jpg

But ratlings are not only found in your party. Like mentioned above, ratlings are everywhere and I mean everywhere, even on the Isle of Nex. Ratlings often enlist to ship crews and pirate galleys to roam the seas of the realms and some of them have shipwrecked and get stranded on the Island. On the Isle of Nex they have nested in the western parts of the island, but they often wander about the island but carefully avoid “The Boss”. Whenever you smell gunpowder in the air, you’re sure to know there’s ratling pirates around.

ratlings_concept_art.jpg

Sinatar

I just hope that Dexterity actually does something Grimrock 2 making Ratlings playable. It was pretty ridiculous in the first game that the best race for Rogues was a minotaur.

Sinatar

Lords of Xulima came out of early access today.

I whipped up a ghetto OT that I'm expecting won't get more then 10 replies, but hey someones gotta do it.

Eusis

I'd be kind of interested in seeing that list revisited once the year's closed and see what games surprisingly came out, and what games were a complete no show. Quite a bit got delayed but it was still a fairly solid year, especially for smaller ones.

randomkid

I'd be kind of interested in seeing that list revisited once the year's closed and see what games surprisingly came out, and what games were a complete no show. Quite a bit got delayed but it was still a fairly solid year, especially for smaller ones.

Yup, my guess is about a third of what's in the OP, including some of the highest profile ones, won't make it. So in the end, 2014 gets a few special games (shout out to Divinity: Original Sin, South Park and Shin Megami Tensei!) but is otherwise like just about every other year for RPGs.

jimboton

Yup, my guess is about a third of what's in the OP, including some of the highest profile ones, won't make it. So in the end, 2014 gets a few special games (shout out to Divinity: Original Sin, South Park and Shin Megami Tensei!) but is otherwise like just about every other year for RPGs.

That's crazy. Divinity, Wasteland 2, Dark Souls 2, Might & magic X, Grimrock 2. It's been pretty much the best RPG year of this century.

Also, Lords of Xulima got released today, may be a 'smaller' title for some but it's the kind of game no one would have dreamed being made just two years ago. For me it's quite huge.

Denton

This thread is so damn nice.
But going over the list I see I only played three RPGs from it..Wasteland 2 (at 50h and with not much willpower to continue), Dark Souls 2 (finished) and Risen 3 (finished).

Was looking forward to Lords of the Fallen (passed for now, waiting for patches and discount) and also will probably get Dragon Age Inquisition.

However, I thought 2014 will be The RPG year ever. And...it almost is, but the most anticipated RPG slipped into 2015 (Witcher 3)..and with both Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come slated for 2015, now I consider 2015 to be the ultimate RPG year :)

Eusis

That's crazy. Divinity, Wasteland 2, Dark Souls 2, Might & magic X, Grimrock 2. It's been pretty much the best RPG year of this century.

Also, Lords of Xulima got released today, may be a 'smaller' title for some but it's the kind of game no one would have dreamed being made just two years ago. For me it's quite huge.
Well, it's probably the best for PCs easily, but I wonder about consoles/handhelds and in general Japanese output? Or best overall year, 2011 was pretty good there whether you were looking more niche or mainstream.

Still, the year definitely had some bite taken out of it via tons of delays and in one case a hotter looking alternative to something that came out this year (Bloodborne to Dark Souls II.)

Kieli

A lot of the RPGs I'm most excited for slipped to 2015.

Persona 6, Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity.

Torment is probably 2016, but one can foolishly wish...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's been a great year in RPGs. These are the ones I've played (or am planning on playing)

• Age of Decadence
    Blackguards
    Bravely Default
    Child of Light
    Consortium
    Dark Souls II
    + Dead State (Waiting for Dec 4 launch, but definitely buying this)
    Divinity: Original Sin
    + Dragon Age: Inquisition (Got a review copy of this)
    Lighting Returns: FF XIII
    Lord of the Fallen
    Might & Magic X
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    South Park: TSoT
    Wasteland 2

South Park, Child of Light, Dragonfall and Might & Magic X are all going to be in my top 10 of the year. MMX is my GOTY right now.

Durante

It's been a great year in RPGs. These are the ones I've played (or am planning on playing)

• Age of Decadence
    Blackguards
    Bravely Default
    Child of Light
    Consortium
    Dark Souls II
    + Dead State (Waiting for Dec 4 launch, but definitely buying this)
    Divinity: Original Sin
    + Dragon Age: Inquisition (Got a review copy of this)
    Lighting Returns: FF XIII
    Lord of the Fallen
    Might & Magic X
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    South Park: TSoT
    Wasteland 2

South Park, Child of Light, Dragonfall and Might & Magic X are all going to be in my top 10 of the year. MMX is my GOTY right now.
I'd like to do a follow-up to this thread towards the end of the year to talk about the games that actually were released and how great a year it was for RPGs. If I have the time. I'd probably focus it on PC only since it was by far the most interesting platform for the genre and since it would cut down on the quantity a bit.

I honestly have no idea how you could ever get to that conclusion. Just by virtue of having M&MX, Grimrock 2, Divinity OS, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Dead State, and Dragon Age all in a single year it's a far better year for party-based RPGs than any other in this decade.

Bladenic

2014 was decent for RPGs (as far as what I'm interested in/have played). But 2015 is already far more enticing to me, considering it's very possible we'll be getting 3 new console releases for three Major RPG series (Tales of Zestiria, Persona 5, and FF type-0 with a small to decent chance of FF15). And 2015 will bring us ever closer to KH3 (which should definitely be a 2016 release, hopefully early 2016).

It's great to be RPG fans in 2014. I finally left my mmo addiction because of the amazing list.

How about 2015 RPGs?
My anticipated RPGs are the Witcher 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Pillars of Eternity, and Torment. Dragon Fin Soup looks interesting as well. I hope we can get Mass Effect 4, Unsung Story & Project Phoenix in 2015.

Top Bottom