• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

Tovarisc

People can start playing through VPN in a few hours, though. I might wait until tomorrow morning my time and nip it in the bud somewhat, but if they decide to start shitting up the thread it's their issue, not mine. Decided I'm gonna let the way the OT goes dictate whether I stay active on GAF, or not. So if it goes south, I won't be sticking around to see it.

Earliest people can play is 25h from now, 4PM CET on 20th.

If any PC gamer is interested to know how to get in on that read this: http://pastebin.com/AKx8Bz5X

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll see, then. If EatChildren can get his segments to me by tonight, it'll go up then. Otherwise it's tomorrow morning.

I'm in bed and it's 1am, so unless it can wait until I get home from work it's no go.

I've failed you. I've failed Mass Effect. Maybe this is a sign of things to come.

Zesh

Sorry if this has been asked earlier, but EA hasn't traditionally penalized people for using VPNs for early unlocks, right?

Sorry if this has been asked earlier, but EA hasn't traditionally penalized people for using VPNs for early unlocks, right?

Nope. Rumours always go around but I've done this for years and have never had any problems - penalisation sometimes/rarely occurs for using VPNs to buy things cheaper on Origin from other countries.

People can start playing through VPN in a few hours, though. I might wait until tomorrow morning my time and nip it in the bud somewhat, but if they decide to start shitting up the thread it's their issue, not mine. Decided I'm gonna let the way the OT goes dictate whether I stay active on GAF, or not. So if it goes south, I won't be sticking around to see it.
I know that. But still, a big portion of players are getting this on consoles so they'll be left waiting with nothing to do. And something tells me that most of them won't be happy with asking question or sharing their excitement about the game. Not with this particular title.

At any rate, I think we should expect at least a couple of pages of gifs and such. I personally wouldn't mind it as long as people don't try to paint the game as a disaster and simply post them for fun.

Renekton

The most recent episode of Waypoint Radio was pretty much just a conversation about Mass Effect in general and Andromeda. Probably worth a listen for anyone who visits this thread.
Overdetermination. Me haz learned new word.

They are saying that ME:A lacks ME1's world-building, based on the early access impressions. They feel the story of any given area is to service the main plot point, similar to how everything ties back to Corypheus in DA:I.

X-Frame

The MP positional audio bug seems really bad. I don't think I'd want to touch the MP until this is fixed, which should be coming in a patch but hopefully not too long after release.

Hearing something directly behind you but nothing is where would drive me crazy with headphones.

Dave_6

The MP positional audio bug seems really bad. I don't think I'd want to touch the MP until this is fixed, which should be coming in a patch but hopefully not too long after release.

Hearing something directly behind you but nothing is where would drive me crazy with headphones.

Yeah I hope that gets fixed really soon.

I preordered this for the Pro but after playing the trial on my PC, it ran better than I though it would and the MP in 60 fps is fantastic. I'm thinking about just buying it on PC too. Am I nuts? Lol.

metalshade

I found that changing the audio from stereo to surround helped quite a bit.

X-Frame

New video on Tech abilities by Minius if anyone is interested.

All the tech abilities (and their evolutions) look amazing and very strong. The amount of builds possible is overwhelming, I don't even know where I'd want to start.

Yeah I hope that gets fixed really soon.

I preordered this for the Pro but after playing the trial on my PC, it ran better than I though it would and the MP in 60 fps is fantastic. I'm thinking about just buying it on PC too. Am I nuts? Lol.

Luckily it does seem like BioWare was already aware of the audio bug and I read somewhere that it is always fixed and will be coming in the next patch. So hopefully that is around 1-2 weeks max after launch which is when I'll likely be diving into the MP more after beating the SP.

And nope that doesn't sound crazy as 60 fps looks great. I'm getting it for the Pro myself -- I don't own a PC and plan to play the MP with a lot of PS4 friends.

Dave_6

I mainly was getting it for the Pro for the HDR and I felt like the MP community would be bigger on the PS4. I had two copies of ME3 (played the SP on PS3 and MP on 360) so I guess I'll do the same with this one.

Xando

Have been setting up strike missions via the companion app and already have 15 research and pathfinder boxes to open tomorrow

Have been setting up strike missions via the companion app and already have 15 research and pathfinder boxes to open tomorrow
What app is that? Is it on Android?

Edit: found it. Apex HQ. Had to sideload the apk lol

(Google play Store says it's not available in the US yet)

Guys is the pre load up on psn? All I get is check back later.

Quoting my post from another thread.
Pre-load's been available since 14th March. I had that same bug.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5zom3k/cant_preload_mass_effect_andromeda_on_ps4/dezsagh/

Alternatively, open the playstaton store on your mobile/PC, log in, go to download list, and add the game to your download queue. If your PS4 is your Primary, then it should start downloading.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The most recent episode of Waypoint Radio was pretty much just a conversation about Mass Effect in general and Andromeda. Probably worth a listen for anyone who visits this thread.

I think this really, really hits one of the underlying quibbles I have, which is that so far, there's such a dearth of 'new' alien races, new concepts, new world-building, etc... Compared to ME1 and it's introduction of 'all the aliens', in the 1st 10 hours, we get....1 new species, and a giant plot point that so far links all the important narrative bits together.

I get that they have to keep familiar species around for series vets and all, but it's still somewhat disappointing so far.

edit: But dangit Austin, It's Virmire, not Noveria!

The trial planet simply has nothing to rival the imagination of something like Feros (the Prothean skyscraper planet). I'm afraid there will be nothing of the sort in MEA, simply because it's an open world game. Makes me wonder though, why not build an open map where a part of it consists of kilometre tall skyscrapers, or something similarly crazy.

Tovarisc

The trial planet simply has nothing to rival the imagination of something like Feros (the Prothean skyscraper planet). I'm afraid there will be nothing of the sort in MEA, simply because it's an open world game. Makes me wonder though, why not build an open map where a part of it consists of kilometre tall skyscrapers, or something similarly crazy.

But you haven't even seen everything that Eos has to offer? Your access to planet is limited.

Xando

The trial ending point is really bad because right after it you enter a large remnant vault which is probably what you're talking about

It really opens up after the trial stopping point.

chaislip3

I really like the Strike Teams mechanic so far. Reminds me of the Assassin Management system from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Minius GC is fast becoming my numero uno Mass Effect guy: his videos are always so good, especially his ones that delve into lore and logical critisism.

My six sense is telling me that the game's gonna review a lot better than people is expecting.

This is the most nervous I've ever been before reviews were out for a game, it's quite a scene man.

Vamphuntr

I don't care about reviews unless the score is like below 5 which in this industry means my PC will set my house on fire if I play it. I'm not spoiled past the gating point so I'm excited to see what is next.

Yeah I've been stashing the loot boxes from the APEX app too. Do we have a stash in the game to drop stuff?

Tovarisc

I don't care about reviews unless the score is like below 5 which in this industry means my PC will set my house on fire if I play it. I'm not spoiled past the gating point so I'm excited to see what is next.

Yeah I've been stashing the loot boxes from the APEX app too. Do we have a stash in the game to drop stuff?

Didn't come across one in trial.

Astral

So Cora and Gil are the only exclusive romances for Scott right? If that's the case I might just start with Sara since they don't interest me at all and Suvi's accent is irresistible. It's too bad she looks so generic and has those awful lip flaps. I'm getting Kelly Chambers vibes from her. I almost dumped Tali for her in ME2 and was so upset with how the romance was handled in 3.

So here is small tip for tutorial segment of the MEA when it comes to leveling up, spoiler tagged in case someone doesn't want to know.

There is part of the mission where you hook up with some AI people and you get weapon pick up there. When you get level 2 ding and under Combat invest points into e.g. sniper rifles that pick up will be sniper rifle. If you don't invest into any of weapon classes under Combat tree then pick up will be pistol.

Not true! I had no points in anything and I got a sniper.

New video on Tech abilities by Minius if anyone is interested.

Quick note, he doesn't mention it but Overload is also a Primer; if you hit enemies with a detonator while they're still suffering from the stun/covered in the electrical effect, they go boom.

You don't need a 6th sense to get a feel of upcoming ME reviews, every reviewer I've read that played the full game is hinting as a great game that expends very well past our trial roadblock !

Top Bottom