• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone else experimenting this? Sometimes, when things are out of focus, it looks really bad, blurry and pixelated. Is this normal? See the planets on this picture.

8Cx3lDG.jpg

Is there anyway to force some other form of AA into the game on PC? I thought about just using MFAA, but then I saw a video about the graphics settings and MSAA wasn't an option for no apparent reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anyone else experimenting this? Sometimes, when things are out of focus, it looks really bad, blurry and pixelated. Is this normal? See the planets on this picture.

On PC? Turn off TAA.

Frostibite + TAA is a mess with shaders, and in weird ways. I get that same blur effect on some water reflections in Battlefield 1 with TAA off. Turning TAA fixes all shaders in that game. In Andromeda it's the opposite; scourge shader is blurry and broken, and there's low res filtering, with TAA on.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
On PC? Turn off TAA.

Frostibite + TAA is a mess with shaders, and in weird ways. I get that same blur effect on some water reflections in Battlefield 1 with TAA off. Turning TAA fixes all shaders in that game. In Andromeda it's the opposite; scourge shader is blurry and broken, and there's low res filtering, with TAA on.

TAA is that one they call Temporal right? There isn't much options for AA ingame unfortunately(the other choice sucks, FXAA?), and for some reason I can't seem to be able to force AA with the Nvidia control panel even when selecting specifially the game... =/

diaspora

TAA is that one they call Temporal right? There isn't much options for AA ingame unfortunately(the other choice sucks, FXAA?), and for some reason I can't seem to be able to force AA with the Nvidia control panel even when selecting specifially the game... =/
AFAIK your only options are DSR/VSR and post processing AA.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TAA is that one they called Temporal right? There isn't much options for AA ingame unfortunately, and for some reason I can't seem to be able to force AA with the Nvidia control panel even when selecting specifially the game... =/

Yep, temporal anti aliasing or FXAA. Frostbite 3's TAA has pretty nice coverage, but blurs the image and thus introduces a fairly significant amount of sharpening to bring the image up to scratch, which a lot of people don't like. I'm only using TAA in BF1 because if I don't a whole bunch of reflections are broken. Otherwise I wouldn't.

No other option, unless forcing SMAA is possible via injection? Might be. The only other solution is resolution scaling, effectively supersampling, but the results are mixed. Frostbite has pretty bad shader aliasing issues that even supersampling doesn't really fix, only reduces.

It's really, really hard to implement MSAA with acceptable coverage into deferred rendering engines without having a major impact on performance, which is why so many games have dropped it.

diaspora

Yep, temporal anti aliasing or FXAA. Frostbite 3's TAA has pretty nice coverage, but blurs the image and thus introduces a fairly significant amount of sharpening to bring the image up to scratch, which a lot of people don't like. I'm only using TAA in BF1 because if I don't a whole bunch of reflections are broken. Otherwise I wouldn't.

No other option, unless forcing SMAA is possible via injection? Might be. The only other solution is resolution scaling, effectively supersampling, but the results are mixed. Frostbite has pretty bad shader aliasing issues that even supersampling doesn't really fix, only reduces.

It's really, really hard to implement MSAA with acceptable coverage into deferred rendering engines without having a major impact on performance, which is why so many games have dropped it.
Yes. Radeon Pro (iirc) and reshade.

Vamphuntr

Story wise did people here discuss Alec Ryder's motivation? It's interesting considering the ME3 ending.

SPOILERS for the EA TRIAL AND ME3 ENDING
He was truly trying to merge AI and human together seeing it as beneficial to both. SAM rather tell you that bluntly too. Just like you could end ME3 by fusing organic and synthetic life.

I found it pretty interesting. Wonder if they will be linked somehow.

diaspora

Story wise did people here discuss Alec Ryder's motivation? It's interesting considering the ME3 ending.

He was truly trying to merge AI and human together seeing it as beneficial to both. SAM rather tell you that bluntly too. Just like you could end ME3 by fusing organic and synthetic life.

Not entirely IMO. More of a
partnership rather than fusion. AI and human are still distinct persons but connected.

Madness

But the story takes place while ME2 is happening and Ryder was working on this for a while. I think it is more BioWare wanting to push the Synthesis ending still. They were very for it in ME3 and they probably still believe in Organic-Synthetic fusion as the option. The whole story of the ME trilogy has been the organic-synthetic conflict. This is a way to move forward and just put that behind maybe?

EatChildren

It echoes a little bit of the Quarian / Geth climax in Mass Effect 3 if you manage to negotiate peace between the groups, as
the Geth implant themselves into Quarian suits and mimic the structure of Rannoch viruses, in order to stimulate Quarian immune systems and jumpstart adaptability

Garlador

It echoes a little bit of the Quarian / Geth climax in Mass Effect 3 if you manage to negotiate peace between the groups, as
the Geth implant themselves into Quarian suits and mimic the structure of Rannoch viruses, in order to stimulate Quarian immune systems and jumpstart adaptability

I never really "got" that. That was just... a weird bit of writing for me. A bit TOO coincidental for my suspension of disbelief.

I'm very much not on-board with Synthesis. As an individualist and self-determinant, it runs counter to everything that I believe makes us as individuals unique and, to me, it has very dark and unsettling implications, not just one how invasive this level of integration of another into one's body is, but how in much of the Synthesis stuff it's imposed against someone else's will or consent, up to and including the ending.

But that's a rabbit hole that goes deep and I'd rather not dwell on it here. Honestly, I'd be more than happy not to linger on ANY of the thematic elements of ME3's ending in any major regard.

EatChildren

I never really "got" that. That was just... a weird bit of writing for me. A bit TOO coincidental for my suspension of disbelief.

I'm very much not on-board with Synthesis. As an individualist and self-determinant, it runs counter to everything that I believe makes us as individuals unique and, to me, it has very dark and unsettling implications, not just one how invasive this level of integration of another into one's body is, but how in much of the Synthesis stuff it's imposed against someone else's will or consent, up to and including the ending.

But that's a rabbit hole that goes deep and I'd rather not dwell on it here. Honestly, I'd be more than happy not to linger on ANY of the thematic elements of ME3's ending in any major regard.

I meant that
what Alec is aiming with SAM is echoing a little bit of that symbiosis rather than synthesis.

Vamphuntr

But the story takes place while ME2 is happening and Ryder was working on this for a while. I think it is more BioWare wanting to push the Synthesis ending still. They were very for it in ME3 and they probably still believe in Organic-Synthetic fusion as the option. The whole story of the ME trilogy has been the organic-synthetic conflict. This is a way to move forward and just put that behind maybe?

Yeah I don't see it as a direct plot connection but I found it really interesting as it's not really subtle at all and it made Alec a super human being. Like Alec Ryder is the pathfinder not only because of his N7 legacy but his versatility and skills come from SAM's profiles. It also explains why Sara and Scott can use all skills once merged with him. There will probably be a big twist with this at some point.

Yeah that's a good point. Pretty hilarious to see the climax of ME3 with these.

Madness

Watching beyond the trial cutoff. I am going to end up spoiling myself before launch. Let's just say it gets better...

carlsojo

Can't decide if I wanna roll sis or bro Ryder first. I kind of like Sis Ryder more but traditionally I've always rolled Maleshep first.

Renekton

What's remarkable about all this is that the people who've turned Andromeda's animation quirks into a certified meme include fans who've been talking up this game's release for, quite literally, years. They're the diehards, people getting legitimately excited for events like N7 day, and reading codex entries during their lunch.
Yeah seems to be the same here. Many negative posts were prefaced with "I really loved ME2-3" or similar.

Ryzaki009

Can't decide if I wanna roll sis or bro Ryder first. I kind of like Sis Ryder more but traditionally I've always rolled Maleshep first.

I'm in a similar boat. First I was like ugh because I can't play a custom ryder (the hair options don't do it for me) but default is growing on me.

and I really love my custom femryder. Decisions.

So I played (on xbox) on my projector which produces a soft satin low-light finish and the game was gorgeous! (Except the very slight halo effect around characters that can be seen at 120" screen, which is more likely resolution issue of 900p). But on my monitor it was just off. Some weird lighting choices on certain faces in certain places. There's an easy fix there, i just know it.

Madness

I will go Bro Ryder first, I went Male Shep first. And then use Sis Ryder for the subsequent and harder playthrough. Though less emphasis on doing it without things like Paragon/Renegade. I liked seeing things with different options than I would have chosen in my first playthrough, be more evil than the good hero etc.

I will go Bro Ryder first, I went Male Shep first. And then use Sis Ryder for the subsequent and harder playthrough. Though less emphasis on doing it without things like Paragon/Renegade. I liked seeing things with different options than I would have chosen in my first playthrough, be more evil than the good hero etc.
I usually try to be "above the law" for my first playthrough. Try to keep as many people alive as possible. Second playthrough is on Insanity and I'm a total asshole to everyone at every turn lol

Madness

I usually try to be "above the law" for my first playthrough. Try to keep as many people alive as possible. Second playthrough is on Insanity and I'm a total asshole to everyone at every turn lol

Same. I remain a goody good good on my first playthrough. Nice, commendable, saving as many. The good answer choices. And then the next playthrough I become ruthless. Let certain people die, answer rudely etc.

Can you use the Ryder twins default appearance as a preset and build off it? If I remember right the default Shepard in the previous ME games actually had higher graphical fidelity than any custom Shepard for some reason. Wondering if it's the same here. Would love to see some tutorials before the game comes out on how to make a sexy Ryder.

Can you use the Ryder twins default appearance as a preset and build off it? If I remember right the default Shepard in the previous ME games actually had higher graphical fidelity than any custom Shepard for some reason. Wondering if it's the same here. Would love to see some tutorials before the game comes out on how to make a sexy Ryder.

You cannot.

Ralemont

not me
So I'm watching a streaming past the trial area and the game got really great.

Non-spoiler summary? Main story got good? Characters? Sidequests? Everything?

Almost every source I've seen is saying the game gets way better after the trial (after Eos I guess).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Non-spoiler summary? Main story got good? Characters? Sidequests? Everything?

Almost every source I've seen is saying the game gets way better after the trial (after Eos I guess).

I have a mate watching (and trying his hardest to provoke me into watching) story stuff past Eos, and he's adamant it's so much better after the trial stuff: it boggles his mind that EA allowed the start to be an example at all.

I like what I'm hearing, and I continue to put my fingers back over my ears haha.

I swear, if he spoils the end or something for me....#friendshipended XD

Vengal

Im confused why they didn't let the trial go to the end of the planet, its not even a good cliffhanger point where it stops. The buildup was a really slow burn to get to the stop point and I think just a bit more would have gone a long way to make the product more enticing to people on the fence.

Madness

You watched streams or you are a reviewer?

Streams... :(

I cannot help myself even though we are just a few days from launch. I regret preordering so early too, because I am stuck with a slightly discounted physical edition but will miss out on perhaps having the deluxe digital edition with all the MP DLC and bonuses.

Streams... :(

I cannot help myself even though we are just a few days from launch. I regret preordering so early too, because I am stuck with a slightly discounted physical edition but will miss out on perhaps having the deluxe digital edition with all the MP DLC and bonuses.

Can you upgrade to the digital deluxe? I know some games let you do that.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It does get better... Much better.

Crazy how EA let the most boring part of the game (even though I loved it) out as a trial: especially with the radiation on Eos being a limiter to fun.

Hopefully reviews shine, this whole circus (mostly) gets behind us and we can go back into the general gaming threads without a sense of dread, lol.

Having said that, the tone today seems much more positive that side of things...the cycle continues.

Ralemont

not me
Or... well Human if you're among us Cora-chasing plebeians.

Still haven't decided whether I'm going Male or Female Ryder. But I have no idea who I want to romance yet either which is...refreshing? I mean in Mass Effect no one else had a chance once I did Tali's loyalty mission in ME2, and Cassandra was the clear favorite going into Inquisition.

Crazy how EA let the most boring part of the game (even though I loved it) out as a trial: especially with the radiation on Eos being a limiter to fun.

Hopefully reviews shine, this whole circus (mostly) gets behind us and we can go back into the general gaming threads without a sense of dread, lol.

Having said that, the tone today seems much more positive that side of things...the cycle continues.

Yeah we'll see. Last time I followed a game this divisive on previews was FFXV and it settled at...83 I think? Around what I'm expecting.

Tcab96

Despite how positive it has been today, I'm still nervous for reviews. I really want this game to do well.

Renekton

In light of the dev abuse on social media, I wonder how much more crap they would get if ME:A doesn't have a hetero human female as LI. DA:I already put them in a bad mood.

Top Bottom