• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

Did anyone find references to Shepard in the trial playthrough?

I didn't come across any myself but never stopped to 'smell the roses' because of the time limit.

As a male Ryder, I am disappointed ton the lack of male NPCs for me to bone.

Step up bioware, smh

I feel your pain.
Gil Brodie
looks weird to me...

Quite liked
Gil Brodie's
personality though? Far more interesting than Steve was.

Did anyone find references to Shepard in the trial playthrough?

I didn't come across any myself but never stopped to 'smell the roses' because of the time limit.

You can pick up
a model of the Normandy SR-2 in your father's room
, but nothing directly about Shepard so far as I came across.

You can pick up
a model of the Normandy SR-2 in your father's room
, but nothing directly about Shepard so far as I came across.

Yeah, got that one! Made we wonder why an Alliance N7 officer
has a model of a privately owned stealth ship built by a terrorist organization
. Nice easter egg though.

Xando

It does get better... Much better.
I agree. Watched some stream yesterday that picked off directly after the trial ended (streamer was not allowed to leave Eos due to embargo) and it was really good. Story has me real interested now.
Can't wait to play more
Yeah, got that one! Made we wonder why an Alliance N7 officer
has a model of a privately owned stealth ship built by a terrorist organization
. Nice easter egg though.
Wasn't
Alec discharged due to his AI experiments? Maybe he worked with a certain organization before andromeda.

I agree. Watched some stream yesterday that picked off directly after the trial ended (streamer was not allowed to leave Eos due to embargo) and it was really good. Story has me real interested now.
Can't wait to play more

Wasn't
Alec discharged due to his AI experiments? Maybe he worked with a certain organization before andromeda.

Yeah, it might actually be a subtle hint about DadRyder - I'd like that,

Quick questions. How do you restore health? Running around Habitat 7 with a third left. Also what does the shield icon next to Liam's name mean? Not my cover indicator. Thanks

Quite liked
Gil Brodie's
personality though? Far more interesting than Steve was.
I've only had one conversation with him, but I like his personality and VA so far. I wish they had given
Suvi and Gil
unique faces(like the squad mates) instead of CC-created ones. Makes them feel like D-listers.

Quick questions. How do you restore health? Running around Habitat 7 with a third left. Also what does the shield icon next to Liam's name mean? Not my cover indicator. Thanks
I think there's little ammo crate-like containers that restore health, but I'm not entirely sure either.

They really should have done something special with Shepard's PTSD during ME3. A pity they didn't explore it better. It could have been an opportunity to do something unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4pqgBw_exw

Originally I thought that Jack was one of the worst character in the series, but after romancing her in ME2/3, I'm disappointed that she wasn't a full squadmate in ME3. Probably one of the best character arcs in the series, and deserved more screen time.

Also, Renegade > Paragon. Seriously, Renegade is fun. Hopefully Andromeda has some Rengenade like actions that Shepard would be proud of.

Wasn't
Was thinking the same.
I'm thinking there's a lot of secrets being withheld, there. I bet Cerberus will be involved somehow. How could they not? Lol

Also,
someone's last name is either a massive coincidence, or it was picked for a reason.

Xando

Was thinking the same.
I'm thinking there's a lot of secrets being withheld, there. I bet Cerberus will be involved somehow. How could they not? Lol

Also,
someone's last name is either a massive coincidence, or it was picked for a reason.

I just hope they don't have SAM
(who was apparently created by Alec and/or Ryder mom?) somehow turn out as some cerberus AI

I don't think Cerberus is involved.

Pretty big spoiler from the audio datamines:
The Andromeda Initiative was founded because they believed Shepard that the Reapers were coming. There's an audio diary between Alec and Garrus's dad. The mom is also alive and is in cryo aboard the Hyperion, but she has some kind of disease. I guess that's what SAM's AI blockers will unlock.

TLS Lex

Hello all, first post in the community thread <3

Glad to see attitudes are a bit more like mine in here (i.e. mainly excited for the game). I played the 10 hour trial from Thursday - Saturday there and I woke up this morning excited to play the game, then got hit with the disappointment of "can't play it til Thursday" (I live in the UK). Much sad. Then I'm going to London for a convention on Friday early doors, and I won't be back until Sunday >.<

I have a big write-up of my experiences with the 10 hour trial that I posted on another site but it seems like most of you played it too so there'd be little point posting it in here unless people really want to see it haha. But I anticipate spending a bunch of time in this thread reading all your thoughts.

SliChillax

Glad to see attitudes are a bit more like mine in here (i.e. mainly excited for the game). I played the 10 hour trial from Thursday - Saturday there and I woke up this morning excited to play the game, then got hit with the disappointment of "can't play it til Thursday" (I live in the UK). Much sad. Then I'm going to London for a convention on Friday early doors, and I won't be back until Sunday >.<

I have a big write-up of my experiences with the 10 hour trial that I posted on another site but it seems like most of you played it too so there'd be little point posting it in here unless people really want to see it haha. But I anticipate spending a bunch of time in this thread reading all your thoughts.
Use a vpn to unlock it on Tuesday. Anyone else using a vpn? Which one do you recommend?

Xando

I don't think Cerberus is involved.

Pretty big spoiler from the audio datamines:
The Andromeda Initiative was founded because they believed Shepard that the Reapers were coming. There's an audio diary between Alec and Garrus's dad. The mom is also alive and is in cryo aboard the Hyperion, but she has some kind of disease. I guess that's what SAM's AI blockers will unlock.

That's quite interesting
considering her codex entry says she died before SAM was fully finished

Use a vpn to unlock it on Tuesday. Anyone else using a vpn? Which one do you recommend?
I thought east asia unlocks tomorrow afternoon (for EU peeps)? We should be able to play tomorrow then

Weirdly enough i can still play the trial even though my free week of origin access ran out yesterday

Having watched two vids going on after the trial cut-off point and I'll add my voice to the chorus who are absolutely baffled at where they chose to end the trial. They really, really should have allowed players to complete the priority mission.

I've only had one conversation with him, but I like his personality and VA so far. I wish they had given
Suvi and Gil
unique faces(like the squad mates) instead of CC-created ones. Makes them feel like D-listers.

Yeah I definitely agree with that, I really want to romance
Suvi with Sara (Scottish accent + science/faith combo really appeals to me) but I find her lipstick so garish
. It would definitely have cemented them better as characters, but I'm at least hopeful that they'll have as much interactions as the others.

If you're playing on PC, make sure to use a VPN to unlock it on Monday - fellow UKgaffer and that's what I'll be doing! Otherwise, definitely make sure to resist streams until then.

But welcome, it's nice to find a quieter, calmer community here (I myself didn't realise community threads actually existed for ages until I found this one).

Unlocking it on Monday with a VPN to Korea - I have a sub to NordVPN but I've used VPNgate in the past and it worked really well.

SliChillax

I thought east asia unlocks tomorrow afternoon (for EU peeps)? We should be able to play tomorrow then

Weirdly enough i can still play the trial even though my free week of origin access ran out yesterday
Ahh that's amazing to hear, Tuesday seemed so far away!

Unlocking it on Monday with a VPN to Korea - I have a sub to NordVPN but I've used VPNgate in the past and it worked really well.

Thanks man

Was thinking the same.

Also,

I don't think
Cerberus was involved, it is stated the woman who founded the Initiative was extremely wealthy, we'll see with the next memory nodes !

Two quick small EA trial spoiler questions

Habitat 7
Are you supposed to hear anything when Alec Ryder puts the helmet on the Pathfinder? His lips were moving but there was no audio. I'm assuming it was by design but want to make sure I didn't have a bug

Nexus
On the task with the panels. I scanned all three and then it's mentioned that the suspect is in the main area still working. I don't have it in my quest log anymore. Is the quest done or is there anything left to do?

Tovarisc

Habitat 7
Are you supposed to hear anything when Alec Ryder puts the helmet on the Pathfinder? His lips were moving but there was no audio. I'm assuming it was by design but want to make sure I didn't have a bug

Nexus
On the task with the panels. I scanned all three and then it's mentioned that the suspect is in the main area still working. I don't have it in my quest log anymore. Is the quest done or is there anything left to do?

To 1st
You are passing out so not hearing his words is by design

To 2nd
There is more to do

Habitat 7

Nexus

I was playing with my headset on :
you hear mumbles in the low frequencies, it's to emphasize the idea that you're losing consciousness, it you were playing with low sound or coming from a tv/monitor it's normal you didn't hear anything.
Basically he's asking for an immediate evac

It should still be an active quest,
you need to back into the Ark area using the tram, the next quest point is in the area just before SAM's location

SliChillax

Does anyone else plan to do a full playthrough with the N7 armor? I love the N7 armor, I never changed it in the original trilogy either because I thought it was the best looking and most iconic Mass Effect equipment in the game.

Does anyone else plan to do a full playthrough with the N7 armor? I love the N7 armor, I never changed it in the original trilogy either because I thought it was the best looking and most iconic Mass Effect equipment in the game.

I'm really looking forward to it,
as for getting the Black Widow sniper rifle.
You should check out the Pathfinder set that you can buy from the armor vendor in the Nexus docking bay (left before getting to the tram), it's a cool looking N7 armor

I definitely want to craft a set, but some of the other armor sets sure look nice as well. So many options to choose from...

The planet scanning is getting some grumbles but I like it. Suvi's voice-over makes sure you're not scanning in vain and the probe destinations tend to be visually distinctive so you can actually eyeball where you should be looking. It's an improvement over ME2 and ME3 in my book. The rewards are a bit stingy but the actual mechanics don't feel bad.

Flying across the systems is nicely done and helps to sell the setting more (particularly the scale of the Scourge), I just wish the flying animation wasn't just a disembodied camera - either show me The Tempest swooping in and let me keep control of Ryder on the bridge as we gaze out the ports.

Lren

Likely going to finish up my trial time today, have been playing nothing but the multiplayer on PC. Just like with ME3's, I can see myself devoting a LOT of time to it, it's just incredibly fun. Didn't want to start the single player yet as I want to take my time instead of feeling the pressure of a timer, if that makes sense. Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Tovarisc

I love the new galaxy map, but I'm hoping the travel animation will get patched out or at least sped up.

That travel animation is loading screen, I doubt it's going anywhere. They could and should remove that "hug" that happens when you arrive at destination.

-----

When OT going up? Today for Korea release or tomorrow at some point?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'll put up the OT tonight, my time. I'm guessing in an hour or six, seven.

Good luck. You might need it. Hopefully it doesn't crash & burn in the first page. But it will probably be spammed by bad animations gif in first 10-20 posts, so... yeah...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll put up the OT tonight, my time. I'm guessing in an hour or six, seven.

Oh christ I forgot to pen my bits.

EDIT: Can we early unlock via VPN to Korea time?

Tovarisc

Good luck. You might need it. Hopefully it doesn't crash & burn in the first page. But it will probably be spammed by bad animations gif in first 10-20 posts, so... yeah...

Out of his hands, but I hope mods don't allow that to happen. Even TW3's constant "It's downgraded garbage!" bashing was isolated into its own thread so OT wouldn't get derailed into handling just that.

I know. OT's are allowed to go up 24h before games release, right? If we use Korea release as guideline, which is 25.5h from now, then OT could go up today.

Oh right right. Apologies misread the question haha

I'd hope that the first couple of pages won't be a dumpster fire, but expecting the worst instead.

I think we might see less Gifs if the OT goes up closer to the actual release. Cause right now most people can't play it so all they can do is to wait (and post gifs).

I think we might see less Gifs if the OT goes up closer to the actual release. Cause right now most people can't play it so all they can do is to wait (and post gifs).
People can start playing through VPN in a few hours, though. I might wait until tomorrow morning my time and nip it in the bud somewhat, but if they decide to start shitting up the thread it's their issue, not mine. Decided I'm gonna let the way the OT goes dictate whether I stay active on GAF, or not. So if it goes south, I won't be sticking around to see it.

Top Bottom