• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

Mindlog

Has there been a "Medic" class for ME3MP/ ME:A MP?
There were two that some might consider traditional medic/support. The Demolisher could provide ammo and Volus could recharge nearby shields.

Infiltrators can get revives whiled cloaked which is helpful.

If you really want to help out teammates concentrate on complementing their class selection and prime targets for power combos. Most of the streams I've seen haven't worked this out yet.

From the sounds of his twitter feed, seems like Shinobi is genuinely done with this place. A shame, but can't say I blame him. I came here from reddit for some actual decent discourse, and now I'm seeing like half a dozen threads on the front page specifically meant to shit on ME pre-release. Say what you want about "wanting a product to succeed"; but seeing people literally getting their jollies off at the expense of others... That's not what I came here to do. Thank god there's still a glimmer of hope in threads like these.

It's frustrating but I think the community thread will keep being what it is, Gaming is still a funny and interesting place to discuss but only when it's not about some game or console that's about to come out

SliChillax

You researched the N7 armor but now you have to "craft" it with materials, which are mostly minerals, in the Development tab

That seems boring and unnecessary. Why should I grind twice for my armor? And I have to do the same thing for every piece? So I have to find the items to research all the 6 different chest pieces, then I have to find the items to develop all the 6 different chest pieces. Repeat the same for arms, legs and helmet.

Tovarisc

That seems boring and unnecessary. Why should I grind twice for my armor? And I have to do the same thing for every piece? So I have to find the items to research all the 6 different chest pieces, then I have to find the items to develop all the 6 different chest pieces. Repeat the same for arms, legs and helmet.

Depends how you look at it. If you despise scanner then it becomes grind, but I liked all small lore stuff it gives so I scan a lot and everything => resource points rain in and I have more of that shit than I can use it on atm.

Mineral are more grindy for sure if only source for them is boring ass Nomad mining mini-game.

Place your bets now... will BioWare have the balls to show alien tits? Obviously Asari do, but do Turians even have tits? What about Angaran or Kett? I don't think they're going to do it. Humans sure, but no aliens.

SliChillax

Depends how you look at it. If you despise scanner then it becomes grind, but I liked all small lore stuff it gives so I scan a lot and everything => resource points rain in and I have more of that shit than I can use it on atm.

Mineral are more grindy for sure if only source for them is boring ass Nomad mining mini-game.

Well I like the scanning and I feel like I scanned most stuff but I don't have even half of the stuff I need to develop the N7 armor.

emag

Speaking of scanning, what a great system. I could easily see how this could turn some people off, but I enjoy soaking in every little bit I can. When I devote time to a game, I really like to get lost in it (took 90 hours to beat DA:I without the DLC). The scanning in MEA reminds me greatly of Metroid Prime. You aren't scanning to increase arbitrary numbers, you are scanning to learn more about the environment and alien objects, the arbitrary numbers grow as a impact of scanning.

I don't get the comparisons to Metroid Prime. In Metroid Prime, every scan told you something really interesting about the world, and relatively few objects would show up as scannable-but-unscanned. Samus would also move at full speed and be able to jump, etc., while scanning. On the other hand, Ryder is slowed to a crawl and can't move over even step-like obstacles, while all kinds of garbage is highlighted for scanning (for example, on Eos, each pylon is individually highlighted, even though they all offer the same banal text). Like crafting, looting, and mining, the developers apparently decided to make it slow and full of junk for no purpose but to pad the experience.

I think the biggest problem I've had with multiplayer is the flow of menu design. I was having a hell of a time muting people that just kept their mics open. One game I was in had a bunch of what I assume were college kids talking about graduation and job interviews. I could not mute them,

Every multiplayer game should have a permanent option to mute all mics (at least for public lobbies). At least a quarter of the matches I've been in have had either trolls/griefers or people with bad audio feedback massively disrupting the experience. Yet none of the matches I've been in have had anything of value added via voice chat.

Tovarisc

Place your bets now... will BioWare have the balls to show alien tits? Obviously Asari do, but do Turians even have tits? What about Angaran or Kett? I don't think they're going to do it. Humans sure, but no aliens.

I imagine Turian females have some way to feed their offspring, yes. Their body structure just is quite different from Asari or Humans because they had to adapt into environment of their home planet so there will be... differences.

Did people wonder what Garrus dong looks like back in ME3 days?

You seem boring and unnecessary. Why should I bother answering twice to a lame complain?

I mean this is a very classic game design mechanic, it's not boring because it scales progression on a very long game.
What's the benefit of having a late-game character after 2 hours in a long RPG? That's boring.

Imagine having the black widow after the first mission in every Mass Effect? You're telling me I have to grind credits for better guns or equipment !!!?? That seems boring !!!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Maybe it's because I'm finally playing the game rather than looking at gifs, or maybe it's because they animate better on Asian Sara Ryder, but I don't find the facial animations that distracting at least. I haven't met the infamous "my face is tired" woman yet though. Suppose that'll be bad no matter what.

Writing sure doesn't feel "horrible" like some people are saying on gaming side. Seems like typical Mass Effect writing so far. Are these people expecting Shakespeare or what?

Maybe it's because I'm finally playing the game rather than looking at gifs, or maybe it's because they animate better on Asian Sara Ryder, but I don't find the facial animations that distracting at least. I haven't met the infamous "my face is tired" woman yet though. Suppose that'll be bad no matter what.

That's because most of it were zoomed still frames, out of context gifs, or hard to recreate bugs where you had to really try to get them. I think it looks stiff but it didn't bother me in any way either

SliChillax

You seem boring and unnecessary. Why should I bother answering twice to a lame complain?

I mean this is a very classic game design mechanic, it's not boring because it scales progression on a very long game.
What's the benefit of having a late-game character after 2 hours in a long RPG? That's boring.

Imagine having the black widow after the first mission in every Mass Effect? You're telling me I have to grind credits for better guns or equipment !!!?? That seems boring !!!

Really? You're comparing a fucking chest piece to a late game character? If scanning was actually enjoyable I wouldn't have a problem with it. But sure, having your character walk really slowly just to scan uninteresting or repeated stuff half the time is so much fun.

Ralemont

not me
From the sounds of his twitter feed, seems like Shinobi is genuinely done with this place. A shame, but can't say I blame him. I came here from reddit for some actual decent discourse, and now I'm seeing like half a dozen threads on the front page specifically meant to shit on ME pre-release. Say what you want about "wanting a product to succeed"; but seeing people literally getting their jollies off at the expense of others... That's not what I came here to do. Thank god there's still a glimmer of hope in threads like these.

Real talk, the ME and DA subreddits are the best place to talk about BioWare games. Not because they are overwhelmingly positive, but because shitposts are downvoted/deleted while legit criticisms often get upvoted as much as legit praise. The atmosphere is just a lot better there, particularly on the DA subreddit. Though I think things are a little hostile on the ME subreddit right now.

As an aside, I'm a little sick and bedridden so I went through the EA Access thread and counted up the impressions. I limited things to impressions that gave a holistic verdict, such as "overall etc etc". Here's the tally:

Good 69
Mixed 19
Bad 22

Writing sure doesn't feel "horrible" like some people are saying on gaming side. Seems like typical Mass Effect writing so far. Are these people expecting Shakespeare or what?

This is also something to keep in mind. If someone who believes BioWare always has terrible writing says MEA has bad writing, that means nothing to me since I don't buy the former premise.

Really? You're comparing a fucking chest piece to a late game character? If scanning was actually enjoyable I wouldn't have a problem with it. But sure, having your character walk really slowly just to scan uninteresting or repeated stuff half the time is so much fun.

You should do game design !
By the way you don't scan minerals with your character, you either recolt them by pressing [y] or you use a mining prob while driving the Nomad, try playing the game before you complain !

Good 69
Mixed 19
Bad 22

Hahaha, I can still remember the "but from what I've seen most impressions were negative, what are you on about?" answers I got, it's sad that these negative threads and shitposting are having so much influence on mildly interested people

Xando

I mean you don't have to do it (except explicitly asked for the current quest). You can also farm research points by doing strike team missions/MP

So I need to be a game designer in order to point out a flaw in the game? You're funny.

You're pointing flaws that aren't flaws or don't even exist, see my edited post

Also if you don't want every single piece of armor in the game and just one, you can just well... buy the minerals with credits.
See? Devs thought of every kind of player in the case of boring and unnecessary grinding

You can buy the N7 armor on the Nexus. Not too expensive either.

It's the Pathfinder armor that you can buy in the Nexus, it looks like the N7 one but is not quite the same from what I remember

SliChillax

You're pointing flaws that aren't flaws or don't even exist, see my edited post

Also if you don't want every single piece of armor in the game and just one, you can just well... buy the minerals with credits.
See? Devs thought of every kind of player in the case of boring and unnecessary grinding

The game never explained that, I've played 6 hours of the trial and never touched the multiplayer once and I just figured that out and you couldn've told me that sooner instead of dragging this for so long when you knew I was only talking about omni tool scanning. I've already been collecting stuff from all the plants or whatever they're called and I still can't develop a single piece of armor. You could be helpful next time instead of having that arrogant attitude and telling me to do game design.

Same here, the animations are not bothering me. They could have been better sure but they're not making me hate the game. I've restarted the trial twice and I really enjoyed the game more on the second playthrough. Can't wait for release date.

diaspora

Whether or not bad faces are something you normally pick up on, Addison is straight shithouse. Most of the rest are fine but would be improved with better eyes.

chaislip3

It's the Pathfinder armor that you can buy in the Nexus, it looks like the N7 one but is not quite the same from what I remember

Ah, okay. I didn't know there was a difference

I'm having a lot of fun with Pull

5KT32o2.gif

The game never explained that, I've played 6 hours of the trial and never touched the multiplayer once and I just figured that out and you couldn've told me that sooner instead of dragging this for so long when you knew I was only talking about omni tool scanning. I've already been collecting stuff from all the plants or whatever they're called and I still can't develop a single piece of armor. You could be helpful next time instead of having that arrogant attitude and telling me to do game design.

Your attitude is the very kind that people have less and less patience dealing with :

You asked a specific question that I answered, but then you make an assumption about another game mechanic and go "Well that sucks ass", instead of going "How does craft work? Am I going to be obligated to farm through every ressource? Do you need to use your omnitool scanner to farm minerals?"

Depending on your attitude people can be either helpful or dismissive

SliChillax

Your attitude is the very kind that people have less and less patience dealing with :

You asked a specific question that I answered, but then you make an assumption about another game mechanic and go "Well that sucks ass", instead of going "How does craft work? Am I going to be obligated to farm through every ressource? Do you need to use your omnitool scanner to farm minerals?"

Depending on your attitude people can be either helpful or dismissive

I made a simple question about not understanding how the scanning works or what kind of scanning you were talking about since the game has different ways of scanning (if you played the game you would know that). You all replied that it was about the omni tool scanning thus I assumed that's how you got the stuff to unlock the armor. If you're too bothered by my posts, don't reply or put me on ignore instead of being ironic in every post. Get off your high horse and talk like an adult, this is a video game we're talking about stop getting so serious. I simply did not understand how the scanning worked, that's it.

Mediking

The hype for Andromeda is real. It's a freaking epic space adventure... I'm SO there.

ViciousDS

Banned

I think I might just hide in this thread.....what if the andromeda OT it tainted?

diaspora

I'm getting a Metroid Prime vibe from Eos. The combination how how it looks visually with environmental soft-gating, and trying to passively put together an understanding of what happened there.

Slayven

Happens a lot with certain games, a narrative begins and people jump on it to make it reality. Any weakness in the armor and people jump on it, you almost saw it with Horizons

sagat2036

Consumables are lower priority than unlockables in the higher packs. As long as you have stuff to unlock it's always going to come up more than the rest.

No one has equipment... equipment are not consumables. They were silver and gold drops in me3mp.

So I have question on that with the unlocks in ME:A MP...did they design it similar to CoD with the RNG boxes? You know, where you can constantly get the same item then "scrap" it or once you unlock something you never get it again?

I'd also like to know how they're doing the Super Deluxe weekly packs. I'm wondering if you have to redeem them every week or lose them forever? I almost think it would be better to save the weekly packs if you can waiting for a few patches. They could possibly up the RNG or add items to them.

Dineren

Banned
After putting a couple hours into Eos last night I'm feeling a lot more confident about the game. I'm still a bit baffled by the facial animation and the eyes, but I enjoyed exploring the planet and the quests were enjoyable. I was planning to hold off on playing, but I think I'll be diving in day one. After finishing the original Nier for the first time last night I need a break from that universe before starting Automata anyway.

Happens a lot with certain games, a narrative begins and people jump on it to make it reality. Any weakness in the armor and people jump on it, you almost saw it with Horizons

Yep, it's fair enough to point out and discuss flaws, but there are plenty of people who almost seem to be salivating at the thought of any big release having a negative reception so they can enjoy the fallout.

Luxorek

Alright. It was stronger than me.

Bought a month of Origin Access and I'm downloading ME:A trial right at this moment. Let's see what it's really like.

Also, I always wanted to play Unravel. Some nice games in this 'Vault'.

The intro planet with floating rocks? It's called Habitat 7

Edit : I misread, do you mean the one with a ring on the main menu? I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows

Yeah I mean the one with the ring, thanks though! I'm just slightly curious, I do wonder if it's something we maybe find out later in-game

sagat2036

So I have question on that with the unlocks in ME:A MP...did they design it similar to CoD with the RNG boxes? You know, where you can constantly get the same item then "scrap" it or once you unlock something you never get it again?

I'd also like to know how they're doing the Super Deluxe weekly packs. I'm wondering if you have to redeem them every week or lose them forever? I almost think it would be better to save the weekly packs if you can waiting for a few patches. They could possibly up the RNG or add items to them.

You can get 10 of the same weapon, itll get stronger each time you get a drop. Its different for gear and characters. Once you max level you no longer see it drop.

You can get 10 of the same weapon, itll get stronger each time you get a drop. Its different for gear and characters. Once you max level you no longer see it drop.

Ah, cool. I kinda like the sound of that. Better than, "here you go 50 scraps for getting same thing try again on another RNG box!"

B00TE

Ah, okay. I didn't know there was a difference

I'm having a lot of fun with Pull

5KT32o2.gif

In MP, my brother holds them for me while I melee the shit out of them. It's endlessly amusing.

Just did a round with all vanguards, was laughing my ass off. I'm also sick right now, so laughing caused me to break into some heavy coughing but oh my god. So worth it. We were zipping around all over the place and dropping nova's off the top of the base in sandstorm.

Luxorek

Half an hour till the download finish. Anything I should know gameplay wise? I'm gonna stick to singleplayer.

What class to pick? What's the most fun?

chaislip3

In MP, my brother holds them for me while I melee the shit out of them. It's endlessly amusing.

Just did a round with all vanguards, was laughing my ass off. I'm also sick right now, so laughing caused me to break into some heavy coughing but oh my god. So worth it. We were zipping around all over the place and dropping nova's off the top of the base in sandstorm.

Lol earlier in that match I just held a Raider up in the air and let my teammates go to town on him.

I haven't had any issues with the matchmaking yet so I'm having a blast.

Top Bottom