• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

I feel like there wasn't enough differentiation between some of the classes, and that they deserved more than a single unique power.

Also, if you look at things like how Sentinel was presented in ME1, where it's supposed to be possibly the weakest class and away from the front line where you're constantly slinging powers, and how that class was in ME2 and ME3, where the armor meant you were rushing in and then you get cooldown penalties to using your powers...

Wasn't there a bug in ME2 where the armor going off reset your cooldowns everytime?

I imagine once again the Vanguard is going to be the most fun to play because of the jetpack combos.

Patryn

Wasn't there a bug in ME2 where the armor going off reset your cooldowns everytime?

I imagine once again the Vanguard is going to be the most fun to play because of the jetpack combos.

We have no idea if Vanguard will have a Charge ability, or if Vanguard or Charge will even be in Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Ralemont

not me
I just cant imagine how someone can go ''yes, the ME3 soundtrack is better than the ME1 soundtrack''. The ME1 soundtrack was perfect for the game. ME3 had a generic movie #1114 soundtrack, it wasnt bad, just really mediocre and forgettable.

Mediocre and forgettable is how I'd describe the dozen synth junk tracks on ME1's soundtrack. ME3 actually has quite a few tracks that follow ME1's lead and are better composed on top of it. Rannoch, for example. In addition, it has more memorable tracks for the dramatic moments, such as Leaving Earth and An End Once And For All.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We have no idea if Vanguard will have a Charge ability, or if Vanguard or Charge will even be in Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I'm almost 99% sure(without any sort of secret knowledge like shinobi!) that we'll see the same classes and major powers(Charge, Incinerate, Lift, etc.) as before. I just don't see Bioware getting rid of them, or any of the classes for that matter. It's almost as impossible as Turians not making it in.

Sou Da

I'm not sure about classes (personally I'd prefer the only class choice to be biotic v non-biotic) but I'm sure a lot of powers will stay.

diaspora

Watch the Turian ark be the only one to not make it to Andromeda alive for one reason or another. Part of me hopes it happens just for the meltdowns.

I'm interested to see what BioWare's plans are for the dialogue and conversation systems in Andromeda. I'm kind of hoping we get a blend of the Paragon/Renegade/Reputation system from Mass Effect 3 and the special background/lore choice icons from Inquisition.

I also hope they bring back or evolve the interrupt system, some of the best moments in Mass Effect 2 were courtesy of that feature.

Bisnic

I'm interested to see what BioWare's plans are for the dialogue and conversation systems in Andromeda. I'm kind of hoping we get a blend of the Paragon/Renegade/Reputation system from Mass Effect 3 and the special background/lore choice icons from Inquisition.

I also hope they bring back or evolve the interrupt system, some of the best moments in Mass Effect 2 were courtesy of that feature.

*Renegade interrupt*
"You talk too much."
*Shoots gas tank, burn krogan alive*

Hard to ignore that one. Just like the one to punch the reporter or push the soldier at the top of a tower.
"I've got nothing more to say to you..."
*Push soldier*
"How about goodbye?"

So cheesy, yet so good. :p

Ralemont

not me

From the survey leak:

"Building upon the rich history of strategic dialogue that has defined the Mass Effect series, you can make meaningful choices in every conversation you have with characters that impact the way your game evolves. The next Mass Effect adds deeper control over your conversations through a greater ability to interrupt and change the course of the conversation as it is happening. During certain conversations, you will be able to take action based choices, such as the option to pull out your gun and force someone to open a door instead of convincing them to do it through conversational guile. Action based choices give you more options for how you approach dialogue with characters in the game and can lead to more extreme outcomes on the story as it evolves around the decisions you make when interacting with a huge cast of NPC characters."

I really want more per-character interrupt options. There was one class-exclusive interrupt in the entire original trilogy, let's get some more of that.

*Renegade interrupt*
"You talk too much."
*Shoots gas tank, burn krogan alive*

Hard to ignore that one. Just like the one to punch the reporter or push the soldier at the top of a tower.

I always do that one. There's no Paragon plus to that conversation, and I can't resist a good pre-mortem one-liner.

From the survey leak:

"Building upon the rich history of strategic dialogue that has defined the Mass Effect series, you can make meaningful choices in every conversation you have with characters that impact the way your game evolves. The next Mass Effect adds deeper control over your conversations through a greater ability to interrupt and change the course of the conversation as it is happening. During certain conversations, you will be able to take action based choices, such as the option to pull out your gun and force someone to open a door instead of convincing them to do it through conversational guile. Action based choices give you more options for how you approach dialogue with characters in the game and can lead to more extreme outcomes on the story as it evolves around the decisions you make when interacting with a huge cast of NPC characters."

Sounds like there's a tradeoff for using the interrupt system then, like it gets your desired outcome but people hate you for it.

diaspora

My problem with most renegade stuff is that it's often more hateful/racist than Dirty Harry. There obvious exceptions like telling Kelly in ME3 to hide her identity but I hope it's executed better.

My problem with most renegade stuff is that it's often more hateful/racist than Dirty Harry. There obvious exceptions like telling Kelly in ME3 to hide her identity but I hope it's executed better.

This is definitely true. I get the need for contrast, but they need to tone down the sheer dickery that characterized most Renegade options.

diaspora

This problem is well illustrated in ME1 IMO. Like, telling a companion "I don't trust/like you yet" is different than the bizarre racism. Yet the latter happens way too often.

A shoot first/ devil may care/ lone-wolf attitude makes sense, and they do actually do this, but the bizarre racism and pro-human options seemed out of place.

What I would do is have "xenophobe" as a distinct dialogue flavor. Renegade should simply be "get the mission done, no matter the cost," Paragon should be about considering collateral damage. Everything else should have its own stuff.

diaspora

What I would do is have "xenophobe" as a distinct dialogue flavor. Renegade should simply be "get the mission done, no matter the cost," Paragon should be about considering collateral damage. Everything else should have its own stuff.
A good model to follow would be Dragon Age's dialogue wheel. Right now ME is doing the equivalent of merging the Sarcastic and Angry options together as Renegade rather than trying to distinguish it.

A good model to follow would be Dragon Age's dialogue wheel. Right now ME is doing the equivalent of merging the Sarcastic and Angry options together as Renegade rather than trying to distinguish it.

Yup. The big question is whether or not they can supply the dialogue variety. DA:I's system is a much better model, though, so even shooting for that would be a great step.

diaspora

Yup. The big question is whether or not they can supply the dialogue variety. DA:I's system is a much better model, though, so even shooting for that would be a great step.
Dialogue variety and incentive to use it. DA2's friendship/rivalry system offered different moves and buffs depending on the type of relationship you had with companions, and punished you the most if they didn't feel strongly about you one way or another.

ME1's soundtrack makes for excellent elevator music which is fitting in a way.
I have an undying love for the sequels as much as anyone else here but the original's soundtrack is still the best fit for the goal and atmosphere that the team created with the first game in my opinion. The mix of synths, techno, etc was just perfect for that 1970's sci-fi vision and was a big part of my falling in love with the series in the first place.

Dialogue variety and incentive to use it. DA2's friendship/rivalry system offered different moves and buffs depending on the type of relationship you had with companions, and punished you the most if they didn't feel strongly about you one way or another.

I'm not fond of altering basic gameplay due to roleplaying, tbh. Big branching changes, like class choice, or overall status quo, that's fine, but I don't like feeling that I'm forced to select specific dialogue options to optimize my skills and whatnot.

ME1's soundtrack makes for excellent elevator music which is fitting in a way.

pfft

diaspora

I have an undying love for the sequels as much as anyone else here but the original's soundtrack is still the best fit for the goal and atmosphere that the team created with the first game in my opinion. The mix of synths, techno, etc was just perfect for that 1970's sci-fi vision and was a big part of my falling in love with the series in the first place.

I like synth and techno, I just don't think ME1's soundtrack was good music in the first place. Not when stuff like Illusive Man, Suicide Mission, LotSB theme, An End, Mars, A Future For the Krogan were all so damn good while also capturing their respective thematic elements.

edit: Vigil in particular has always bothered me. Uncharted Worlds sounds much better- at least when it's de-mastered into an 8-bit theme.

Bisnic

How dare you miss one of the best :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye31ZhLDFUw

Also like the first minute of this one which plays on barren planets, which is the only part that actually plays ingame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gNyYoVRjqA
There is another music that plays on barren planets, yet I can never find it on youtube.

Dany

Banned
Another screenshot for you gents:

sZLKMjf.jpg
Wow thats boring.

I hope they show that isn't corridors or in-door levels.

how's everybody feeling about that Ps4 pro presentation? I didn't get to watch all of it
It was a fairly limited showing of the game with dialog and other stuff cut from it so it's really hard to pass judgement. However I did go back and rewatch it and I think I might actually like the Asari companion so far, the tone of her VA didn't seem like she was an idiot or intentionally dense but rather a more light-hearted version of Liara.

DevilDog

I like synth and techno, I just don't think ME1's soundtrack was good music in the first place. Not when stuff like Illusive Man, Suicide Mission, LotSB theme, An End, Mars, A Future For the Krogan were all so damn good while also capturing their respective thematic elements.

edit: Vigil in particular has always bothered me. Uncharted Worlds sounds much better- at least when it's de-mastered into an 8-bit theme.
I've listened to the ME1 soundtrack a billion times, its good music all right. You don't like Vigil? Come on man.

But here:
Mass Effect 2: Tali Suite

This has 60k views. Half are probably mine :D

Ghazi

I have Bioware points leftover from the sale, are any of the SP weapon packs in any of the games worth it? I read the Firefight pack is pretty good.

It was a fairly limited showing of the game with dialog and other stuff cut from it so it's really hard to pass judgement. However I did go back and rewatch it and I think I might actually like the Asari companion so far, the tone of her VA didn't seem like she was an idiot or intentionally dense but rather a more light-hearted version of Liara.

I just watched it, thought it was cool. I don't know why I'm not more excited for it.

Patryn

I just watched it, thought it was cool. I don't know why I'm not more excited for it.

Because they didn't show much of anything.

We already knew about both the Asari companion from the previous trailer, and the jetpack from the leaked footage. Other than that, all we got was a new location.

We already knew about both the Asari companion from the previous trailer, and the jetpack from the leaked footage. Other than that, all we got was a new location.
Is that really *all* you got that though? Like you said you got an actual much better look at the Asari, her VO, first look at a Remnant vault, name of one of the planets, a look at the scanning mechanic, a look at the new locomotion animation tech, male Ryder's VO, VO from one of the other squadmates, a look at not one but two different Remnant units, and a little tease on the story.

Obviously it wasn't action packed and was meant as a tech demo more than anything but I wouldn't say there wasn't 'much of anything'. November's almost here.

#soon

speakin of which, i ain't really a fan of the asari's outfit. it may not be the sluttiest thing you'd see a girl in a video game rockin, but it sure as hell ain't practical and is sensual for the sake of being sensual.

she looks like she can be a cool character though.
Is that really *all* you got that though? Like you said you got an actual much better look at the Asari, her VO, first look at a Remnant vault, name of one of the planets, a look at the scanning mechanic, a look at the new locomotion animation tech, male Ryder's VO, VO from one of the other squadmates, a look at not one but two different Remnant units, and a little tease on the story.

Obviously it wasn't action packed and was meant as a tech demo more than anything but I wouldn't say there wasn't 'much of anything'. November's almost here.

#soon
true that. all this plus all the shit we probably don't know about yet could make Me4 one of the best games of next year. the icing on the cake for me will be the story. as it was what got me to fall in love with ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom